Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Requesting information/Help about Michigan prisons

My son has finally been transferred to his "actual" facility after having been held at the RGC Reception center for almost 2 months. We are so thankful that he was placed in prison in the middle of the state (Ionia which is in the Grand Rapids, MI area) as we were so worried that he would be sent to one of the facilities in the upper peninsula which can be as much as a 14 hour drive from our home.

So my question is....can anyone tell me anything about the level II facility at Ionia? While I know that prison is prison and none of them are nice, I'm hoping somebody can give me insight overall. Are there a lot of gangs (one of my biggest fears)? Do they have decent educational and work programs? How is visitation? Is it in person, on a phone through glass or a video feed?

Again, we are just so happy that he is at least fairly close to home so that we can visit him as much as possible!! He went in on 2/26/15 and is serving 4 years. This is our first exposure to the legal system, prisons, etc. and any information that I can get my hands on will help us to feel closer to him.

Thank you in advance to anyone that replies. This community is amazing and has already saved my sanity on more than one occasion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ceelee28 For This Useful Post:
Rockstarsmom (04-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,510 Times in 12,964 Posts

Now that you know which prison he was sent to, you may find answers in the Michigan prison forums, the same one where you posted previously. From what I can find, the only archived PTO posts are very old, but there may be members who are familiar with the conditions in that prison now.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM

There are something like 3 prisons in Ionia each having various levels. Do you have the name of the exact prison? Handlon, Ionia Correctional Facility, Michigan Reformatory are the three. They are all right next to and across the street from each other. It will help to get info if you have the name of the facility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
Ceelee28 (04-13-2015), fbopnomore (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Now that you know which prison he was sent to, you may find answers in the Michigan prison forums, the same one where you posted previously. From what I can find, the only archived PTO posts are very old, but there may be members who are familiar with the conditions in that prison now.
Thank you for the advice. I have been reading thru the threads in that forum and you're correct -- they are all very dated. The upside is seeing everyone's tickers from so many years ago and knowing that most of those folks have been reunited by now. It may seem silly, but it gives me hope for my son and that his time will go quickly. He called today!! The feeling of hearing his voice is just indescribable! So today, at least, is a GOOD day.

Thanks again for taking the time to point me in the right direction.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ceelee28 For This Useful Post:
EccentricManda (10-25-2017), fbopnomore (04-14-2015), Quetz (04-14-2015), Rockstarsmom (04-21-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
There are something like 3 prisons in Ionia each having various levels. Do you have the name of the exact prison? Handlon, Ionia Correctional Facility, Michigan Reformatory are the three. They are all right next to and across the street from each other. It will help to get info if you have the name of the facility.
Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction. I just checked and it says "Michigan Correctional Facility" at 1728 BLUEWATER Highway, Ionia" any chance you know which one this is from this description/address? When we spoke today (over the moon happy to hear his voice) he said it was kind of like a college campus with different buildings and such. Hopefully I will hear from him again this week and can ask exactly which one he is in.

Thanks again for trying to help.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:53 AM

That address is Handlon. My son preferred Handlon. They have great programming. He took the horticulture program and had his own patch of garden where he grew fresh veggies (that he was allowed to eat). There weren't any issues with gangs that my son had (but he's not obsevant when it comes to people's associations). He's pretty friendly with everyone. There was a horrible problem with people getting robbed, though. People would go into his cell and take his stuff (once it was his TV and another time they broke into his locker and took his store stuff). the COs got his tv back but my son was put into protective custody because the guy who stole it threatened to kill my son (he said this in front of a CO....my son had no choice). It was after that they transferred him. Visiting is ok. COs are fair and decent (at least to me but I treat them decent...they are just doing their job). Never knew what the temp was going to be in the visiting room, though. The vending machines in the visiting room didn't have as wide a selection as some of the other places he's been. I did enjoy the drive, though (I am near Detroit). It's peaceful. When you visit, be sure to not pull into IMax...Handlon is nearer to the road, just past Imax (Handlon has a sign that says Handlon). Pay no attention to your GPS...mine took me to Imax! If you have any other questions, you an feel free to message me or ask here. It's been 2 years since my son was in Handlon but I doubt much has changed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-14-2015), Quetz (04-14-2015), Rockstarsmom (04-21-2015)