Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks so much for replying.

Anyone else have something to add?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM

My bf has been at West Shoreline for almost a year now. He stays very active with working he just got a 5 day detail, he does a lot of hobby craft stuff which does cost money, he works out 3 to 4 days a week. He stays busy but I think he has had to find things to keep him busy. He has found a good group of guys to hang with which is helpful too.

He just got moved to a new unit and he's in an 8 man cube which he says isn't to bad.

He has never complained about things being loud, and I don't think it's dirty because he talks about having to have inspections every week and the CO's in charge of each unit like to be first to do things which means like going to chow they have a point system for inspections and the unit that is the cleanest gets to go first according to him. I don't think it's dirt in the visiting room or in the visitor bathrooms.

The visiting room is small and does get crowded and does get HOT but it's not terrible or unbearable. I have never had a visit terminated and we only go on the weekends. I always try to get there early at least by 10 o'clock count. People come and go the whole time we are visiting. The same people that go every weekend stay longer than others which I am one of them. When I go I stay 6 to 8 hours because I usually only go once or twice a month. If I am there with the boys we usually only stay 4 hours.

Good Luck I hope you enjoy your visits the COs are generally really nice. There is a lady at the front check in that is a REAL big you know what!!! She is a stickler on EVERYTHING!!! Just make sure you read the clothing rules and follow them because she will get ya every time she isn't nice. We have butted heads many times. This last time I went she wouldn't let me bring in the boys receiving blankets because they are not "infants" anymore and shouldn't use them any longer. She nit picks anything and everything she can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'sMom View Post
Can someone with a loved one at West Shoreline Correctional update me regarding this facility. Most of the posts on this thread are old. From the thread, it sounds like Level I is 8 man blocks. Are there any smaller units?
I think they are all like this...
There were comments about it being old, dirty, noisy and did not have enough toilets for the number of inmates. Is that true?
I haven't heard this from my son. I guess it is prob. not too much worse than elsewhere.
There were also comments on the thread about the visiting room being hot, small and overcrowded. Visits were sometimes terminated. Is that true?
It has been very crowded lately at visits. Fairly small and concessions can run low. Must leave to use restroom. We have never been sent home early, but have never gone on weekends.
There were also comments about a lack of activities when compared to other prisons. True?
Not sure what activities you mean. I don't think they have much here.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the additional input!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Wrong thread sorry

Last edited by NativeHoney; 03-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Posted in wrong area
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2010 View Post
My bf has been at West Shoreline for almost a year now. He stays very active with working he just got a 5 day detail, he does a lot of hobby craft stuff which does cost money, he works out 3 to 4 days a week. He stays busy but I think he has had to find things to keep him busy. He has found a good group of guys to hang with which is helpful too.

He just got moved to a new unit and he's in an 8 man cube which he says isn't to bad.

He has never complained about things being loud, and I don't think it's dirty because he talks about having to have inspections every week and the CO's in charge of each unit like to be first to do things which means like going to chow they have a point system for inspections and the unit that is the cleanest gets to go first according to him. I don't think it's dirt in the visiting room or in the visitor bathrooms.

The visiting room is small and does get crowded and does get HOT but it's not terrible or unbearable. I have never had a visit terminated and we only go on the weekends. I always try to get there early at least by 10 o'clock count. People come and go the whole time we are visiting. The same people that go every weekend stay longer than others which I am one of them. When I go I stay 6 to 8 hours because I usually only go once or twice a month. If I am there with the boys we usually only stay 4 hours.

Good Luck I hope you enjoy your visits the COs are generally really nice. There is a lady at the front check in that is a REAL big you know what!!! She is a stickler on EVERYTHING!!! Just make sure you read the clothing rules and follow them because she will get ya every time she isn't nice. We have butted heads many times. This last time I went she wouldn't let me bring in the boys receiving blankets because they are not "infants" anymore and shouldn't use them any longer. She nit picks anything and everything she can!!!

I know exactly who you mean, I wish they would be on the same page and be fair to EVERYONE! Visitors are human beings who are going thru a terrible point in their lives if they are visiting a loved one in prison, and to be treated like this from a prison guard who is an "equal" makes me very angry and there have been times that I want to grab one of those "comment" cards and complain about this lady! "no holes in your pants" Ok, when my Daughter-in-law visited my son at the previous facility he was at, she wore these same jean capris with "threaded holes" (they are in the design of the denim) no skin was showing. When she visited a few weeks ago with these same capris on at West Shoreline, this "lady" refused her and told her to go buy some different pants. So my D-i-l went to Walmart and bought some other capris. When I visited in Aug I saw a lady in the visiting room with obvious holes (showing skin) Outrageous!!! of course it was a different lady guard at the desk. Just yesterday we were there and so was SHE, and this poor lady with a little girl visiting her daddy was forced to wear a paper gown because she had white sweatpants on and this guard said she could see underwear. She needs to treat people with respect...very frustrating.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donteenac View Post
I know exactly who you mean, I wish they would be on the same page and be fair to EVERYONE! Visitors are human beings who are going thru a terrible point in their lives if they are visiting a loved one in prison, and to be treated like this from a prison guard who is an "equal" makes me very angry and there have been times that I want to grab one of those "comment" cards and complain about this lady! "no holes in your pants" Ok, when my Daughter-in-law visited my son at the previous facility he was at, she wore these same jean capris with "threaded holes" (they are in the design of the denim) no skin was showing. When she visited a few weeks ago with these same capris on at West Shoreline, this "lady" refused her and told her to go buy some different pants. So my D-i-l went to Walmart and bought some other capris. When I visited in Aug I saw a lady in the visiting room with obvious holes (showing skin) Outrageous!!! of course it was a different lady guard at the desk. Just yesterday we were there and so was SHE, and this poor lady with a little girl visiting her daddy was forced to wear a paper gown because she had white sweatpants on and this guard said she could see underwear. She needs to treat people with respect...very frustrating.
Evil woman. Honestly, my boyfriend and I couldn't stand her. She only ever talked to me about my clothes once and that was because I had a tank top on under a low cut t shirt and she told me I was "showing cleavage". I've seen her stand there and hand count people's coin going through the gate. She has refused my visit before also. I had just gotten a new license plate and forgot my plate number when I was signing in. She told me if I couldn't remember it I could visit and she told me she would refuse me if I went outside to look. Awesome woman!

Lucky, he got transferred closer to me and away from this place.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 AM

Anyone have someone in West Shoreline that got their PAROLE lately?! My just got his a week ago. I hear a lot of others there have been up too.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM

I am planning on visiting my son's father and taking my son to see him at West Shoreline. I sent in my application yesterday, and have been reading up here and seeing it will probably be a month or more before I know anything. I wish I would have known this sooner, I have had the applications for 2 months and have been going over whether I should take him or not. I should have applied sooner! Now I am dying to see him and hear his voice. Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess. I also signed up for the jpay.com email thing....does anyone else do this? Is it quicker than snail mail??? Also...I am seeing that the dress code is a big deal there when you are visitng! Makes me nervous!. ....can't wait to see him. He wrote me and said he had gotten stabbed a few months ago.... lets hope this month goes quickly.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Yes the whole Jpay email depends but it seems to be pretty fast my fiance just started all that there at that facility I've received his first message slow but he sent another and I received it the next day so I think it's well paced. I already had mine for the two years he's been gone. So you should enjoy it. You can also send pic from cellphones or your computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to juicylove27 For This Useful Post:
jcs1220 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Sweet yeah it seems pretty easy, and it's cheap to write the emails. I'm hoping he will reply soon!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Yep it is pretty cheap you get 20 stamps for $5.00 thats a good deal so I hope you enjoy!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
Default Updated thread for West Shorline Correctional Facility

Anyone have a LO at west shoreline? Went to visit my husband there yesterday. Visiting room was small but didn't get over crowded. Staff was very friendly and our visit was amazing. The visiting room was a bit loud but nothing to complain about. You bring change or your debit card in for the vending machines which I though was weird.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:58 PM

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts

Anyone here from West Shoreline????
Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 PM

My guy was transferred to West Shoreline about 3 weeks ago and Friday I had my first visit!!! It was so good to see him and he shared with me a few positive changes he noticed at West Shoreline compared to other facilities he's been to (food, water quality, seeing trees, cleanliness of showers, etc). He was telling me how much more "relaxed" the environment is at Level I facility.

As for the visit in general, the staff was cool, no horror stories. Picture tickets are $3 each and there is a vending machine in the lobby and my guy peeped that there were picture tickets in the vending machine in the visiting room, next to the apple danish The picture guy was really cool, he let us take our "kissy" picture several times, several... If you have on jewelry, you have to fill out a piece of paper to tell what kind of jewelry and how many. Before you leave the guard will make sure that you still have on the jewelry you wrote down. I liked that the visiting room has windows so it does not feel like being in a box. The vending machines were well stocked and the room seemed to have a large supply of games and books for children and adults

The Following User Says Thank You to Cdub33 For This Useful Post:
EccentricManda (10-25-2017)