Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
1. Does anyone know which former S.Ct. Justices Ryan has allegedly appointed to look into the mess we call the DOC?

2. I agree with the posts on better pay. I too think part of the problem is staffing. For the inmates to be handled in a humane manner and to have more programs, or even engage in the programs already in place, along with everything from showers to phones, there needs to be enough guards and those guards need to be trained properly. Part of the problem when Kingman rioted, and which continues to be a problem, even with the contract pulled from MTC and given to GEO, has been not enough guards. Private prisons don't provide as much training and pay several dollars an hour less. That stuff needs to be written into the contracts we award them, because we know their CEOs and other executives in private prison companies are getting huge bonuses. But, the pay scale across the board needs to be rai
sed.
a. People willing to put their life at risk everyday for $14 to $16 an hour are desperate, crazy, or on power trips. A reasonable pay, you are going to get better human beings for the positions.
b. Lack of training creates more risk for inmates and guards.
c. Working multiple shifts does result in bigger problems, yet, a large portion of the guards are doing so because every prison is short on staff in AZ.
d. Better pay would go a long way toward curing the problem of not having enough people to fill guard positions.
Rebecca White Berch and Ruth McGregor. They were appointed by Ducey
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleysGirl For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (05-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...eline-released

Always blaming the inmates.... have you all seen their "timeline" of their knowledge of the broken locks?

I'm 100% sure there are SOME inmates who tamper with their locks, and steal the rods that "lock" the doors, but come on.

Last edited by jordan321; 05-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: missed word
Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM

[quote=jordan321;7776410

Always blaming the inmates.... have you all seen their "timeline" of their knowledge of the broken locks?

I'm 100% sure there are inmates who tamper with their locks, and steal the rods that "lock" the doors, but come on.[/QUOTE]

That's make me sick !!!!!!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyliie View Post
That's make me sick !!!!!!
I've heard 5 years
Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Yeah a retired CO said he would report broken locks in 203-20;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
I've heard 5 years
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Good article. What a mess. Our rankings are out https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arizona we have a higher than average incarceration rate and higher than average crime rate. What we are doing isn’t helping the crime rate. We rank #42 in the country overall in this area. We rank #40 in education also. In the bottom again! We should being doing better than this, residents!
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 AM

It makes sense our ranking in education is so low tho. Because of the incarceration rate, its saddening. But to me it makes sense. More & more are growing up with older brothers / sisters in & out of jail .
When i was in highschool (2012) it was either school or the “gang”. But I choose both & it was a crazy life. I ended up losing some “friends” because I didn’t have enough time for them because i was school. It was crazy , my mom moved us outta phoenix

We were thinking of moving back to Phx , but man the housing is all bad , small houses for a lot of money. So many people are moving to arizona / maricopa .
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 AM

It's the big picture program for the pipeline from school to prison. This is not a coincidence this is planned. No money to be made in education, lots of money in incarceration. If you want things to change pay attention to the politics of the folks you vote for
SadSurprised (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Iím not sure if this is getting to BBQueen? Iím trying to get this message to the AZ people. Concerning the riots and the locks that donít lock.
I just read your post concerning the locks on the state prison cells. This is a major problem. And I wish I could say what Iím going to say right now to an Attorney who could let me know if this is even possible.
Long story short. Son was in Yuma prison Cheyenne unit when the Riot went down last year. March 2018. He was street charged in February 2019 for participation in a riot, property damage and street gang. Along with apparently 80 plus other inmates who were all housed same units and 2 different buildings/yards.
He was in Florence serving out his last year of his 12 year sentence. Then rolled up and sent to Yuma County detention center this February to be charged for the Riot. Now if the locks would have worked like they were suppose to do, the Riot would not have happened because they would have been locked down. Unable to leave their cell, what ever transpired in the yard would have been minor as if an isolated incident that would not have gotten out of hand if only the locks had worked.
It would have not turned into a riot. And the inmate who was killed by a guard could possibly have been saved if the locks had worked.
I wish this could be a defense strategy for my son and the other inmates who have been charged for participating in that Riot.
Feed back welcomed please
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkertohavasu View Post
I’m not sure if this is getting to BBQueen? I’m trying to get this message to the AZ people. Concerning the riots and the locks that don’t lock.
I just read your post concerning the locks on the state prison cells. This is a major problem. And I wish I could say what I’m going to say right now to an Attorney who could let me know if this is even possible.
Long story short. Son was in Yuma prison Cheyenne unit when the Riot went down last year. March 2018. He was street charged in February 2019 for participation in a riot, property damage and street gang. Along with apparently 80 plus other inmates who were all housed same units and 2 different buildings/yards.
He was in Florence serving out his last year of his 12 year sentence. Then rolled up and sent to Yuma County detention center this February to be charged for the Riot. Now if the locks would have worked like they were suppose to do, the Riot would not have happened because they would have been locked down. Unable to leave their cell, what ever transpired in the yard would have been minor as if an isolated incident that would not have gotten out of hand if only the locks had worked.
It would have not turned into a riot. And the inmate who was killed by a guard could possibly have been saved if the locks had worked.
I wish this could be a defense strategy for my son and the other inmates who have been charged for participating in that Riot.
Feed back welcomed please
Gosh, I hope so too. I’m sorry this is happening. Were your son’s actions justified? Was he defending himself because he literally had no place to flee to for safety from bodily injury?

Last edited by SadSurprised; 05-17-2019 at 09:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSurprised View Post
Gosh, I hope so too. Iím sorry this is happening. Were your sonís actions justified? Was he defending himself because he literally had no place to flee to?

Im wishing he would have been smarter than he acted. He was in another building when it happened. And when he and others heard something was going on in another building, they all went out to see.
And that was it. They all had to be nosy and check it all out and then they all were in it. If you donít go when called you are then No Good. If you do go when your called then you get charged for participating in a riot.
But if the locks were in the correct working order, I feel, and Iím not justifying any of the actions, that this would not have happened. Two separate yards grouped together. Because they could just move gates out of the way? Iím really wondering why the DOC is charging them all instead of just taking away all their good time. Which they did also. And thereís not enough PD to defend them all so they have to get them from other countyís. Itís just another thing to go through.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Im wishing he would have been smarter than he acted. He was in another building when it happened. And when he and others heard something was going on in another building, they all went out to see.
And that was it. They all had to be nosy and check it all out and then they all were in it. If you donít go when called you are then No Good. If you do go when your called then you get charged for participating in a riot.
But if the locks were in the correct working order, I feel, and Iím not justifying any of the actions, that this would not have happened. Two separate yards grouped together. Because they could just move gates out of the way? Iím really wondering why the DOC is charging them all instead of just taking away all their good time. Which they did also. And thereís not enough PD to defend them all so they have to get them from other countyís. Itís just another thing to go through.
You should talk to Donna Hamm of Middle Ground
Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
You should talk to Donna Hamm of Middle Ground

The news is really taking this and actually airing a segment on the dysfunctional locks in the AZ prisons! WTG
I canít paste the URL to this forum or I would. It was on ABC 15 news in Phoenix, under investigation on timeline of broken locks.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,483 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
As you said, he went to check it out. Then joined in. He had a choice to stay away; he wasn't in it or being threatened if he didn't join in, until he made the choice to go where the action was. The legal definition requires 2 or more people, the use of reckless force or violence, or the threat of reckless force of violence with the immediate [power of execution of the threat.

I don't think it will help as a defense. All the rest of the stuff in the prison, like unlocked doors might have helped as mitigating circumstances if he had been dragged into the situation.

If he had been on parole, and came across and unlocked jewelry store, and went in and took a watch, he wouldn't be able to use the lack of it being locked as a defense for theft of property. It's the same type of logic.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Parkertohavasu (05-19-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The news is really taking this and actually airing a segment on the dysfunctional locks in the AZ prisons! WTG
I canít paste the URL to this forum or I would. It was on ABC 15 news in Phoenix, under investigation on timeline of broken locks.
Yesterday's article is the whistleblower coming forward. Yes, I'm following it in the news
Parkertohavasu (05-19-2019)