Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Satisfied

Default Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility Check-in, Gossip, and Info Thread..

Okay folks... For those of you with a loved one in Bellamy Creek--Here's a place to congregate and gossip and just share general info or ask questions...

Jenn
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBenji For This Useful Post:
Mrs Stephanie (06-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Question

Anyone with a loved on in Bellamy Creek or am I the only one?

Old 03-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Satisfied

There's GOT to be others Lou!! They're just being quiet!!

Jenn
Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM

Default I have a son in Bellamy Creek

I have a son in Bellamy Creek. He is brand new to the prison system. I am worried because he is mentally ill. Although we have had the mental health system send a letter, it does not seem he has be segregated from the general population. He has received a sentence for 1 day to life (I don't know what that means). He entered the prison system in January of this year. He has been to three places since then, this is the third and it seems this is where he is going to stay. I believe he is in level IV. What type of prison is Bellamy Creek? My husband an I are going to try to visit him next week or thereafter--whenever we are cleared for the visitors list.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 AM

Default bellamy creek

I have a son that is in bellamy creek too. He hasn't been there fo a long time. He has only been there since november. But I can find out for you what kind of prison it is. From my son our my boyfriend which used to be there before.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Reply to Wuzzy

Thank you. I look forward to the information.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:50 AM

Hello, Just thought I'd say "Hi" & my son is at Bellamy, right now he is a level 4 soon to be a level 2 again in May. He's been there for 2&half years. So far it hasn't been to bad of a place, the only problem I have with it is they have NO programs for the guys. Well, they do have 3, but they need something to keep the guys busy and on a positive road to getting out. My son reads alot & trys to learn as much about the law as he can. There really needs to be some kind of programs for the guys in order to prepare them for release, especially if they are a level 2. My son says most of the CO's are Okay & easy to get along with, but as with all the prisons you have the one or two that want to rule the world THEIR way. I know someone will say it's because of the budget, there are no programs, then why are they hireing new guards & buying new vest for the guards? ? ? ? Just my thoughts.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM

Default bellamy creek

The other thing is that if they don't have a high school diploma or a ged they can't get a job right away. So sometimes they half to wait a long time to get into school and then a long time to get into a job.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 AM

My son has a high school diploma. So are you saying he can get a job in Bellamy right away or are you talking about when he gets out?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaweh
My son has a high school diploma. So are you saying he can get a job in Bellamy right away or are you talking about when he gets out?
I *think* she's saying that he has a much better chance of getting a job at the prison that someone who does not have a diploma or GED...

Jenn
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM

Thank you. What about his mental health condition. Do they have those facilities?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Satisfied

There are some facilities that have *mental healthcare* but ... well, I dunno much about how they compare and I don't know how Bellamy Creek is. I do know Florence Crane has it, but that doesn't help you at all!!!

Jenn
Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 PM

If your son has a diploma. He can get a job but sometimes it takes awhile. Depending on what kind of job he is looking for. And what they have avalible. Sometimes he might get one right away. And sometimes it might take a long while.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 AM

To Wuzzy and Ms. Benji:

Thank you. I have one more question. How can one send money. Does it have to be wired or can we take cash. Again, I am sorry for these basic questions, but all if this is very new to our family.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Satisfied

Quote:
To Wuzzy and Ms. Benji:

Thank you. I have one more question. How can one send money. Does it have to be wired or can we take cash. Again, I am sorry for these basic questions, but all if this is very new to our family.
Ask absolutely as many questions as you like...

It has to be a money order/cashier's check. You can mail them in and most of the prisons (Bellamy included, I believe) have a drop box in the room where you check in for visits. ALWAYS make sure you include his name AND his prisoner number on the money order. And I, personally, have found that it gets posted a bit quicker if you address it to the business office-prisoner accounts instead of directly to him.

Hope that helps!
Jenn
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 PM

Thank you. You are so kind.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM

My fiance' has been at Bellamy Creek since December of 2001, when it first opened. I have been visiting him there since July of 2002. It originally was to be run as a level 4, then changed to a level 3 & 4 in 2003, then changed to a level 2 & 4. I know it's confusing, but that's the MDOC. I haven't had any problems with any COs or anyone there. I know several of the COs now, since I visit at least twice a month. Visiting is Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for level 2, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for level 4. Weekday visiting hours are 2:30 to 8:30 and weekends are 11:30 to 8:30 on Saturday, 8:30 to 8:30 on Sunday. Regarding mental health issues, I don't know that they really offer anything of that sort. When my fiance' first went in he was on anti depressants. As for any kind of counseling, well I wouldn't say there was any. At least that we have found.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Like I said, I have a lot of experience with Bellamy Creek!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:47 AM

Hey Yaweh: Bellamy Creek now has a drop box in the lobby you can place a money order in for your love one. Or you can mail a money order to him. Be sure to put his number on the money order too.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 PM

My fiance' has been at Bellamy Creek since December of 2001, when it first opened. I have been visiting him there since July of 2002. It originally was to be run as a level 4, then changed to a level 3 & 4 in 2003, then changed to a level 2 & 4. I know it's confusing, but that's the MDOC. I haven't had any problems with any COs or anyone there. I know several of the COs now, since I visit at least twice a month. Visiting is Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for level 2, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for level 4. Weekday visiting hours are 2:30 to 8:30 and weekends are 11:30 to 8:30 on Saturday, 8:30 to 8:30 on Sunday. Regarding mental health issues, I don't know that they really offer anything of that sort. When my fiance' first went in he was on anti depressants. As for any kind of counseling, well I wouldn't say there was any. At least that we have found.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Like I said, I have a lot of experience with Bellamy Creek!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:

My son is severelly mentally ill. He is schizophrenic and hears voices. Sometimes they have him banging his head against the wall. We had the mental health people send a letter to the Warden at the first place he was at, but it looks like either they did not get it or just ignored it. As soon as we can get him to put us on the visitors list, we are going to see him. Once we see what condition he is in, we will look in to getting him help. He has not called us, so that is a sign he may not be taking his medicine. He forgets everyone when he is not on his medication. I am really worried--I am going to have to trust that God is watching over him. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Thank you, I will mail a money order to him as soon as I hear back from my letter I sent today. I want to make sure I got the right number.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 PM
K's Q

Hi Misshim138,

I just got word today that my love was transferred to Bellamy Creek. It isn't that far from me, about an hour and 1/2 drive. What is it like in the visitor's room? Are they very strict or lenient? Are the guys allowed to get out of their seat to go to the vending machines? What types of food do they have for them to eat in the machines? It is always so strange having to adjust to the differences in the visiting rules.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Hi Yaa --

Sorry it took me so long to answer. My mom was hospitalized last week with an irregular heartbeat and Friday evening (3/17) they put in a pacemaker. She came home last Saturday and is doing well. However, I haven't had much time to go online this week what with taking care of her and working full time.

Anyway, Bellamy Creek isn't too bad to visit. I have not had any problems with the COs (except for one, but once she decided to make me his wife, she's been pretty decent). They, like all prisons are getting pretty strict. The guys aren't allowed to leave their seats for any reason except to use the bathroom (only once per visit). They have a vending machine that carries sandwiches and that type of stuff. They have a couple of junk food machines and also a pop machine. That's about it. By Sunday, when I usually visit, the sandwich machine is pretty well emptied out since they only fill them on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When you purchase any food, no matter what it is (even a candy bar) you have to take it over to the microwave and open it and put it on a paper plate and throw away the wrapper. They started this a few months ago. The visiting room only has a 60 person capacity and it does get crowded. The last few times I visited our visit was terminated due to overcrowding. You are only guaranteed two hours -- if it isn't busy you can stay longer. They terminate by first in first out. Unless you have traveled more than 200 miles. My trip is 131 exactly. I usually get at least three hours though. I get there at 8:30 on Sunday morning and it doesn't usually crowd up until around 11:30 or so.

Like I said, the COs aren't too bad. They do watch for excessive touching, kissing. But we've been pretty lucky so far. We don't push the rules and they don't bother us too much.

Anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Take care and enjoy your visits!
Pam
The Following User Says Thank You to misshim138 For This Useful Post:
DearJon (08-12-2012)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaa
Hi Misshim138,

I just got word today that my love was transferred to Bellamy Creek. It isn't that far from me, about an hour and 1/2 drive. What is it like in the visitor's room? Are they very strict or lenient? Are the guys allowed to get out of their seat to go to the vending machines? What types of food do they have for them to eat in the machines? It is always so strange having to adjust to the differences in the visiting rules.
No the prisoners are not allowed out of their seats. You have to go to the vending machine and get them whatever they want. The vending machine has mostly candy and chips, but they do have one with cheesburgers and salsbury steak etc. And pepsi products and water. They do have a microwave to heat up anything you want heated up. ALSO....ALL food MUST be on a plate (which can be picked up by the microwave) They are not allowed to eat out of the bags.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
K's Q

Hi Pam,

I do hope that all is well with your mom and that her strength increases with each breath that she takes.

Thanks so much for the information regarding Bellamy Creek. From what I've mapped on Yahoo, I am approximately 130 miles away from the prison also. Where are you traveling from? Are you visiting level I or II? I will be visiting level II.

Wow, that is so different, having to remove everything from it's wrapper and bag. Can you cover up the food with a napkin?

It has been quite some time since we have seen one another, so I am looking forward to the visit... but it will be a couple of more weeks before I actually go. Maybe, we will get to meet, because I will also visit on Sunday.

Again, thanks for the response, it is very much appreciated.

Yaa'