Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 PM
K's Q

Hi SisteLou!

Thank you so much for your response to my questions. Can you tell me why they decided that all of their food has to be emptied out onto a plate? That is so strange... but again nothing that MDOC decides to do should be surprising.

Yaa'
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Hello-UPDATE

Just to keep you all up on what is happening. As I mentioned before, my son is severely mentally ill. I wrote him to get put on the visitor's list. I have not heard from him and it has started to worry me. I looked under the offender search to see if he has been moved again, and he has. They have moved him to Huron Valley Complex/Men's. It seems this place if for mentally ill prisoners. I guess I will be trying to find out about that place. However, I feel better that he is getting treatment. We have said for years that he needs treatment but no one would listen. It is too bad he had to go to prison to get help.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 AM

Hi Yaa' --

You're very welcome and thanks for the positive thoughts regarding my mom. She is doing much better. We are not sure what exactly caused the "removing the food before bringing to them" rule, though the rumors are someone tried to pass something in food. So, of course we all suffer for the few that do things wrong.

Be prepared if you go out on a Sunday to have your visit terminated after around two to two and a half hours. I was out there yesterday with his cousin and after about two hours and twenty minutes we were terminated -- again!! This is the third time in a row that that has happened. Apparently there have been a lot of transfers into Bellamy Creek in the past month or so and a lot of these guys haven't had visits in a long long time. So that pushes all of us out of the room sooner. Since I don't travel over 200 miles one way I get booted. However, a very nice female CO who knows me (after almost four years of visits) couldn't understand why we were terminated and told us to wait in the hall and then took us back in. She said the CO in the visiting room isn't there enough to know how to handle the seating. She said we were terminated prematurely. So we got another 45 minutes!

Anything else I can do, let me know.

Pam
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
K's Q

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the response and the info on Bellamy Creek. When I go to visit, I will go on a Sunday and be there at 8:30 to ensure at least the longest visit possible ;-) I wonder why they are all of a sudden transferring so many into Bellamy.

I hope that your mom is beginning to feel better. My mom had a heart attack a little over a year ago and I don't know if she will ever be her old self again... but she is still with us and maintaining her independence. ;-) There is nothing like one's mother!

That was so cool that they arranged the seating to accommodate your visit a bit longer ;-) I had that happen when we were at Coldwater. The CO there would juist come in and rearrange the chairs and ask for volunteers to leave in order to allow you to visit for as long as possible. There are still some decent people working in the system. ;-)

Morenike
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 AM

No problem with the info for you. Perhaps we will run into each other out there sometime! Thanks for asking about my mom. She is doing really well. I hope your mom will continue to improve also.

Pam
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 PM
K's Q

Hi Pam,

It seems that you and I are about the same distance away as far as traveling goes. If you don't mind, can I ask what city you live in. It'll be nice if we get a chance to meet ;-)

Yaa'

Last edited by Yaa; 03-31-2006 at 07:23 PM..
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 PM

I live in Dearborn. It's, I believe, exactly 131 miles from my driveway to the prison. Where are you at? It would be nice to have someone to talk to that understands how I feel.

Pam
Old 03-31-2006, 07:32 PM
K's Q

I'm in Holland... seems we're opposite ends of Michigan. I have a friend that is involved with a man in prison as well. She is in Detroit. It really can be hard at times with no one to understand what you are going through... which is why it is good to find someone that you can relate to. These relationships can be the sweetest experience, yet the hardest at the same time.

I'm here anytime you want to chat...

I was hoping that we lived closer to one another, then we could at least meet up outside of the prison as well. ;-)

Yaa'
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 PM

I'm not too good with areas in Michigan outside of where I am and where he is. And I only learned the Ionia area after he was sent there!! Anyway, where exactly is Holland? And we could probably arrange to meet up somewhere in the Ionia area. I'm very familiar with the area now! Restaurants and all. We just have to see what visiting schedules we are on.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 PM
K's Q

I'm a little familiar with Ionia, because we've been to Ionia before as well as Carson City. I used to drive through Ionia going to Carson City ;-) So, I a little familiar with the area. Holland is near Grand Rapids. I'm about 30 minutes away from there and 30 minutes from Muskegon, if you are familiar with either of them.

You actually come from one direction and I come from another to get to the prison, so, Ionia is like a midway point for both of us.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 PM

Yes, I get it now. You might be a little closer to the prison than I am. But it would be middle ground for both of us.

I wish I could talk longer, but tomorrow is my uncle's birthday and I am baking him a cake. It won't be perfect but it's made with love. So I better go finish that before it gets too late.

I enjoyed talking with you even if it was this way. Perhaps we can IM each other and chat that way? Let me know.

Pam
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM
K's Q

As long as the cake is made with love, that is all that is important!

I'll personal email you.

Yaa'
Old 04-10-2006, 05:39 AM

Bellamy Creek was a fun yesterday. When I got there at 8:30, the sandwich vending machine was almost empty -- again! This is becoming quite a problem when Level II visitors get there on Sunday morning. They only fill the machines on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This last month and a half or so, the machine is almost empty when I get there for a Sunday visit. And if that wasn't bad enough, the pop machine and one junk food machine were out of order! Talk about being thirsty after a couple hours! By some miracle, someone came and fixed the machines and we all lined up for the pop machine! For the first time in about two months, I wasn't terminated for overcrowding -- actually got a four hour visit this time! Yeah for me!
We had a terrific visit and didn't argue once. For us that's another miracle!

Pam
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Hey girlies! I'm on my way to see my hunny in Bellamy Creek assuming all goes well. I am planning on going Friday but from what I've been reading I won't get as much time as I was hoping. :-( But he's gonna be closer so that's always a plus. He has been in Marquette for about 6 months. I went 3 weeks ago and got to see him 3 days for 3 hours each day. It was sad being that I drove 8 hours to get there. It is a sad place. I hope that things start to look up for us. Maybe one day we can all meet up!
Take care everyone...
Rocio
Old 04-12-2006, 05:59 PM
K's Q

Hi Pam and Rocio,

Good to hear about your visits! I will be going to visit next week Sunday... I don't do holidays at the MDOC... your visits are sure to be cut short. Pam, that is wonderful that you go to visit for 4 hours... wooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!

Yep, we've got to meet up one of these days!

Rocio, how long is your drive now? That 8 hours had to be some drive!!! Dang! Hope that you had a wonderful visit today!

Yaa'
Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Hi Yaa' -

Yes, it was really good to be able to visit him for that long for a change. I'm going out again on the 23rd. I wish I could go more often but with my job and all it's not easy. I'm sorry I've been among the missing lately, but we are under the gun for tax season ending and work has been crazy. I work late and it is dragging me down. But it's almost over -- just five more days to go!!!

Pam
Old 04-17-2006, 03:49 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well. I know I am. I got to see my fiance 3 days in a row. Alllllllllllll day! Oh it was the best. I was sore from those chairs at the end but it was all worth it. It's pretty laid back in there just one of the ladies on 2nd. shift is pretty miserable but everyone else seems to be ok. It sucks cuz they don't have any food in there but chips and pop and of course candy. On saturday all the C.O."s were cooking out and kept coming in and out with food and cooking right outside the open windows. Come on now that was not cool! All the guys in there are loooking all hungry and stuff! I felt bad for my man because he hadn't eaten any breakfast. But other than that it was really good visit.
We have talked everything out and are ready to go ahead and get married! I can hardly wait. Does anyone know anything about weddings there?!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:05 AM
K's Q

Hi Rocio,

Thanx for sharing your visit with us! I am glad that you go to visit all day for three days in a row! No, that isn't cool that they cook right outside the visiting room and torture the guys with the smell of the food when they know that there isn't anything in there for them to eat... some people can be so heartless!

I can't help you with the wedding information. I will just be making my first visit to Bellamy Creek on Sunday of this week. Maybe you can post your question in the wedding forum to see if anyone there has gotten married at Bellamy Creek.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 AM
K's Q

Hey Pam,

I'll see you on the 23rd!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Bellamy Creek

I have a very close friend in Bellamy creek. I am very new to all of this so any information is helpful. We write each other at least once a week. I usually send my letter out with the mail on Monday and hear from him by Friday or Sat. I am getting alittle worried cause I have not heard from him in over a week. Also, I just sent in my vistor app. If anyone can tell me what to expect that would be great. I am worried about my first visit. Any advice would be great.

JB's friend (forever)

Jen
Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Satisfied

Okay girls... I don't know much about Bellamy Creek, but how do your guys feel about it? How does it compare to other places they've been??

Jenn
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsfriend
I have a very close friend in Bellamy creek. I am very new to all of this so any information is helpful. We write each other at least once a week. I usually send my letter out with the mail on Monday and hear from him by Friday or Sat. I am getting alittle worried cause I have not heard from him in over a week. Also, I just sent in my vistor app. If anyone can tell me what to expect that would be great. I am worried about my first visit. Any advice would be great.

JB's friend (forever)

Jen
I don't know much about Bellamy Creek, but getting your approval can take a couple weeks to a month and you *should* get a copy back to let you know that you've been approved or not and your friend should get one as well.

Hang in there! Sometimes mail can be slow and if he was 1 day late getting it in the mail, sometimes that can delay it in getting to you by several. Hopefully, you'll get mail from him today!!

Welcome to PTO!

Jenn
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I did not get it today I alreay ran home on my lunch hour to see. Nothing. I'm getting bummed.

Jen
Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Miss'n my brother!

Ok well I have been to Bellamy Creek so let me tell you about it . . .
I only been twice so if I forget anything I'm sure someone will add it.
Anyways, When I was there you left all of your belongings except your change in your locker. Including your I.D. Then when they call you, you go through the glass doors once inside those doors you take a seat and remove your socks and shoes. And then you walk through the metal detector.
The vending machines are inside the actual visiting room. When you can purchase sandwiches, candy and pop. Their not allowed to go up to the vending machines with you though. And all good in a bag must be emptied unto a plate.
They have one background for picture taking. Picture tickets are $2.00 I think ( can't really remember) and you purchase those tickets at the front desk when signing in. If you have any other questions please ask, I'm sure I could help you.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Well my man is in the " DORM " it's pretty laid back there. It all depends on who's working. He's been there since the 13th. of this month. I've been there already 6 times! LMAO! Yeah I missed him. Anyways it's pretty basic. You go in through a gate you walk inside you sign in give them your I.d. You have to take your shoes off and they pat you down. You walk through this little hallway and there's the room. It's only rows of chairs and no tables. There is no real food just chips/candy/pop.
He can have an arm around you the whole time. Kiss/hug before and after the visit. Of course!
Pictures of course are 2 dollars. They have a nice little park setting background for the pics. It almost looks real. Lol*z almost.
You get a minimum of 2 hours to visit of course you get more if it doesn't get over-crowded. So far so good.
Oh yeah you have to ask to use the restroom and when you're done you have to get patted down again. You can't bring in your own bag to carry your money. Not even just to take it in there. They made me take it all the way back to my car! Petty! But like I said it just depends on who's working.
Visits for the " DORM " are Wed, Thur, Fri. 2:30-8:30p.m. and Sat-Sun. 8:30-8:30p.m. Oh yeah they don't process anyone from 1:45-2:15 during the weekends because of shift change.
Other than that I can't think of anything else. Hope it was somewhat helpful.

Last edited by Aztec; 04-25-2006 at 05:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
Jukie2 (09-05-2008)