Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 PM
K's Q

I just went to visit at Bellamy Creek for the first time this weekend. The visit was rather nice... I got to meet Pam, which was great!

We are in level II . When you arrive, you have to sign in, so make sure that you know your the number on your license plate! The officer will give you a coin for the locker to store your belongings. I took my own plastic bag with me (hefty bag) and I was allowed to carry it in with me. I also made sure that I took change with me, you are allowed $15.00. Keep your ID with you because after they call your name, you and you go through the metal detector, you will have to give your ID to the guard and he will give you a visitor's pass. Once your visit is over, you will give him back the visitor's pass and he will return your ID. The pat down was pretty simple. If you do not want to take off your socks, I'd suggest going barefoot or wearing stockings that can be seen through.

You are allowed the one hug and one kiss and you can either hold hands or he can put his arm around your shoulder. The guards on duty when I was there were pretty much laid back. It seems that everyone was just enjoying their visit without doing anything that goes against the rule.

Also, if you let the guard on the front desk know that this is your first visit, they will give you a package that gives you all of the information regarding Bellamy.

As for the mail, it usually takes about 3 days for me to get a letter once it is mailed out. If he mails it on Wednesday, I usually get it on Saturday. So don't fret the delay in the mail between the two of you. I don't know how long it takes for him to get the mail that I send to him.

Well that is all that I can think of to say right now.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Welcome to Bellamy Creek!

Yaa'
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 AM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

I was very bummed out yesterday. I took 1/2 a vacation day to get ready and have time to drive up for the 2:30 visit and when I got there the woman who dislikes me anyways was all too happy to tell me, " OH! He doesn't have anymore visits left for this month! " I was like what?!?! She said who knows maybe someone else came to see him. That was wrong. Well in the end I found out they had charged us 2 visits because we went to the restroom at different times. Come on now. And it was on HER shift.
Thing is they didn't tell him that he didn't have any visits left. My poor baby was all ready to come out and they didn't even let him know what happened! Oh I was mad! But I guess that's just how it is. I really loathe that woman. She's had it in for us since the first day! It's not my fault noone loves her like I or some of the other women in their love their man.
But oh well.

Yaa hope you had a good visit. I guess we won't be running into each other since you're in another level. But you never know he'll get moved down a level. Take Care!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:07 PM
K's Q

Hi Aztec,

I am so sorry to hear about what happened when you arrived at the facility but, I was under the impression that you both get 1 bathroom break prior to being charged another visit!

We actually just got transferred to Bellamy and I do hope that it is not a long stay! So, I'm hoping that we get moved out of this place, not down a level ;-) I don't want him in the UP but it will probably be better for him rather than this place...

Yaa'
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM

It all depends on who is working. Some of them are fine and some of them want to be up in your business and make little comments. It's usually the female CO's who make comments or want to make things difficult.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Yaa, yeah I called there the other day and that's what they said we each get a bathroom break. See the problem with this whole thing is that they don't have anytime of recording system. If the person wants to be a real a-hole then they could just take a visit. They should have a sign in sheet or something to say that we wen't or not. I think it's only fair.
By the way why is Bellamy creek such a bad place you want him out of there?! Just curious you don't have to answer if you don't want to! Take Care!

Katybear you're right it usually is the women C.O.'s like I've said they probably just dont' have anyone to love them the way many of us women love our men and they're envious. But please don't take it out on me!!! Lol*z
Old 05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
K's Q

They should record the number of times you go to the bathroom. I try not to drink anything while I am on a visit and I steer clear of any drinks before I get to the prison just so we don't have that issue. ;-)

Bellamy Creek is supposed to be partitioned off for Level II prisoners, but the mentality of the guards is still Level IV. Policy states they have 20 minutes to eat each of their meals... they are given 7-10 minutes and if not done in that time frame they are given tickets. Level II prisoners are allowed more property than the Level IV prisoners, but the locker space was created to accommodate Level IV prisoners which means the Level II prisoners can't put away all of their property so they are ticketed for that nonsense as well. The way this facility is being ran, it is geared to have our men fail and wind up as Level IV inmates because they are not in compliance with policies that are being created outside of what the MDOC has stated.

When my love left for a visit, I sat listening to this young man who appeared to be about 18-19 years of age talking about how this is the worst prison in the system. Some of the things that I heard him share with his mother, made the hairs on my arm stand up and I don't even have hairs on my arms! I was almost in a state of shock. I didn't ask K because he doesn't like for me to worry about him, but being the type of individual that he is, I do worry about him.

What I would like to know is does anyone that has a loved one at Bellamy Creek have anything positive to say about this facility? I don't mean our contact with the guards but the experiences that our loved ones are having.

Yaa'
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 AM

Yaa' -

I don't know about what goes on in there. Like K, he doesn't want to worry me so he doesn't tell me a whole lot of what goes on. I am seeing him tomorrow for his birthday so I think I might ask him to level with me about what goes on inside there.

What type of things was that guy telling his mother?

Pam
Old 05-02-2006, 01:52 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Yaa,
My fiance mad me really sad the other day kind what you're talking about their eating time. He told me that they eat at like 4:00 and that's their last meal. My man didn't have anything to snack on since he'd just barely gotten there. I felt bad because he tells me that's the things I don't tell you about you know being hungry cuz they don't feed us much just the mandatory amount of calories. they have to serve them.
It could be anywhere but this is the first time he ever spoke to me about it.
He said that they're really rude around there with the count. I don't know what else to tell you. That's all he's ever really been open with me about.
-Rocio
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 AM
K's Q

Hi Pam & Rocio,

Of the facilities that we have been in Lakeland was the best with regards to facilities, with regards to the way the guards treated the prisoners and the visitors.

Prison is prison so our loved ones are not on holiday, they've committed crimes and have to pay for these crimes committed by being imprisoned, but it doesn't give those that we as taxpayers provide salaries for the right to mistreat them... mentally or physically.

It is totally inhumane to force a person to eat a meal in 7-10 minutes. It is totally wrong to take a facility that was created to house Level IV prisoners and change the building but not the mindset of the employees to handle Level II prisoners.

Our men won't talk to us, because let's face it, we are too emotional to handle the stuff that goes on behind the wall. And if they do tell us, what are we willing to do about it? Will we just take it as information, be upset for them or will we begin a campaign to stop or at the very minimum bring attention to the injustices that are being done.

I remember reading years ago about a woman that wanted to bring attention to her husbands case to the point that she chained herself in front of the capital building. I was like, dang, she is serious about what her husband is going through...

Rocio, I don't know about the food situation, because he didn't say anything about the food being a minimal amount, matter of fact he was telling me that he'd had peach cobbler at one meal.. And one thing is for sure, if the food isn't proper, he will not even go to the chow hall (or whatever it is called). It is always good to keep money in their account if at all possible to ensure that they can have make store to buy anything extra that they need.

Pam, please tell your sweetie that I said Happy Birthday!.. It is good that you are going to see him, so that your presence will uplift his spirits on this which should be a celebration of his life in this realm.

Okay, gotta run now.

Yaa'
Old 05-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Miss'n my brother!

Ok ladies I hate to have to ask but if anyone is going up to Bellamy C.F. and their in or around the Detroit area I could really use a ride. I didn't want to post this in the car pool thread only because it's only this one time I need a ride. I will pay half the gas. Any Monday, Wednesday or Friday works for me. Please PM me if you can help me out.
Thanks & God Bless, Melanie

P.S. I smoke if that matters. But if you don't allow smoking in your car I won't.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Hello ladies! I thought I would check in here since my guy jsut transferred in this past Tuesday. I'm lucky because my guy tells me everything I want to know about what goes on for him every day. I think it doesn't bother him because I used to work inside of one of the facilities so I have an idea of what he goes through. My guy isn't really happy about being at Bellamy Creek. He says that there are a lot of young guys who think they have something to prove. He said Wednesday night 4 guys from his unit alone went to the "hole" for fighting. He did say that the cells are bigger than in most facilities and that the top bunk is higher so that the person on the bottom bunk can actually sit up without bumping their head on the top bunk. He is in the level IV(even though he has no points. Go figure on that one!) but says that they don't even run it like a Level IV. He says they run it more like a Level V. He was at Ionia Max a few months back and said that he would rather be there. The VR is pretty bad compared to some of the ones I have been in. Even though he is now an hour closer to me than he was I am hoping that he isn't there too long.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:19 AM
K's Q

Hi LD's Autumn

Welcome to Bellamy Creek ;-) I know what you mean about him being closer but hoping that he isn't there for a long period of time. I'm expecting my love to be transferred anytime now! He's only been there about 2 months now and he told me that they have to be there for about 6 months before they can request a transfer.

Why is he in Level IV if he isn't a Level IV prisoner? They did the same thing to my girlfriends husband when they transferred him from Mound to Saginaw, they moved him into Level IV and changed his level from II to IV in OTIS even though he wasn't a Level IV . It took him a couple of months to get his status changed back to Level II, but they did change it and moved him back to Level II population. Although, at Bellamy Creek, from the way I'm getting it, Levell II is treated as Level IV . All of their movements are treated with regards to the same handling as Level IV prisoners as well.

Yaa'
Old 05-06-2006, 04:23 AM
K's Q

Hi mlynn,

I didn't want you to think that I was ignoring your mail. I'm sorry that I can't help you out, but I don't live in the Detroit area. Hopefully you will find someone going to Bellamy Creek from your end. Maybe you should post to the carpool area if none of the ladies here are visiting on the days that you are requesting. Also, isn't there a transportation company out of that area that travels to the different prisons? I thought that I'd read somewhere that there was one.

Yaa'
Old 05-06-2006, 05:38 AM

Default Bellamy Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBenji
There's GOT to be others Lou!! They're just being quiet!!

Jenn
my husband is there and has been for 17 1/2 yrs and still has at least 3 yrs to go before he can even think about getting out. just seen him last night and i already miss him terribly. he seems to be doing fine but not getting enough sleep and worried about that but that is his own fault. thank you for letting me voice my opinion.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 AM
K's Q

Hi Jeannieberlin,

I just read your quote, but am not following you. Where are you saying that your husband has been for 17 1/2 years? You responded to a quote written by MrsBenji, but your message isn't a direct response to what she'd written.

I am sorry to hear that your husband isn't getting enough sleep, but from what I am understanding about Bellamy Creek, everything that they basically do is in their cell. Their sink and toilet... so if he is a light sleeper then his bunkie going to the toilet or washing up will wake him. I also hear that even when they leave out of their cells, the door slams, which is another reason that he could be disturbed. So basically, it is such as if one wakes up, then so does the other unless he is a sound sleeper... so it may not be your husband's fault that he isn't sleeping.

Yaa'
Old 05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Miss'n my brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaa
Hi mlynn,

I didn't want you to think that I was ignoring your mail. I'm sorry that I can't help you out, but I don't live in the Detroit area. Hopefully you will find someone going to Bellamy Creek from your end. Maybe you should post to the carpool area if none of the ladies here are visiting on the days that you are requesting. Also, isn't there a transportation company out of that area that travels to the different prisons? I thought that I'd read somewhere that there was one.

Yaa'

You know what I forgot all about the transportation service LOL I'll go ahead and post in the car pool thread and if I have no luck I'll look into the transportation service.
Thanks, Melanie

Old 05-06-2006, 09:16 PM
K's Q

Hi Melanie,

I'm glad that I could be of assistance to you ;-) I hope that you enjoy youre visit!

Yaa'
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Yaa, you love is right, they have to be there 6 months before they can request a transfer but that doesn't mean that MDOC won't transfer them anytime they want. My guy has been transferred 3 times in the last 5 months. He has some medical issues going on so he is hoping to be transferred to Jackson so they can be addressed. Your guess is as good as mine as to why he is in a level IV even though he has no points. He was in a level II but they rode a guy in that he had a spon with from many, many years ago so they transferred my guy from his level II to Standish, a level V. He was there for a year before they transferred him to Ionia, another level V. He has now been to 2 different level IV's in the last 3 months. I think they put him anywhere they want to put him because he is a lifer. That shouldn't matter. His conduct should determine that. My guys is considered "old school." He knows how to do his time and stay out of the mix. I just wish MDOC would move him to Jackson, take care of his medical needs and just let him do his time without hassling him. I plan on going back to visit this Thursday. I hope it doesn't take me 1.5 hrs to get back to the visiting room again. Anyone else going?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
K's Q

Hi LD's Autumn,

I won't be going back to visit until the 21st. My love is also a lifer and this is his 3rd transfer in a year. We did time at Jackson... They got to know me over there. I have no problem calling to find out what the issues are when he is going through unnecessary changes. My love is also old school, he's been there 32 years now. He's been in prison longer than he was in the "free world." I do not know why they don't just allow the lifers to be. They know how to do their time and leave others along. But for some reason, there is always a reason to transfer them or to punish them even moreso than their being imprisoned. Why are you visiting on Thursday? If he is Level II then his visiting days should be Mon . Wed . Fri & Sun. Have you contacted the prison to find out just what the problem is with his not being placed in the correct level?

I hope that they will transfer him to Jackson so that he can get the medical attention that he needs. Have you thought of contacting the transfer coordinator with regards to his being transferred for medical reasons?

All of this stuff can be so darn frustrating and sometimes I feel that my hands are tied, but I still fight on for him.. I try to remain strong for the both of us, although some times it can be tough... This forum is a sheer blessing for those of us with loved ones in prison.

Enjoy your visit... and you shouldn't have to wait that long on your next visit. If he isn't down in 15-20 minutes, ask the guard at the front desk to check to see if he has left to come over. When I went to visit, I only waited about 15 minutes for him to come over to the visiting room. I am hoping that your prior experience was just a glitch, due to the count time. I don't think they notify them at count that there is a visitor waiting.

Yaa'
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Yaa,

Yep my guy is currently housed in Level IV. Your guess is as good as mine as to why when he has no points. He should be in a Level II but they haven't classified him to that yet.

I went back to visit him again yesterday. I got in within 15-20 minutes of being there and was taken back to the VR even before he got there. That was a first for me. It was a very nice visit and everything was great except it makes no sense to me to only fill the food machine on Mon, Wed, and Fri. The Level IV guys don't have much choice.

For as big as that facility is and for the amount of prisoners they have there the visiting room is very small and only having 1 food machine and 1 pop machine makes no sense. The only juice that is there is OJ? I mean, come on now! I guess if that is all I have to complain about I shouldn't worry too much. It would just be nice if they filled the machines everyday and added another food or juice machine.

I'm just happy that my visit was nice and I got to see him. The CO's were very nice and helped him out when he needed it. They were also pleasant with me.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:21 AM
K's Q

Hi LD's Autumn,

I was happy to read your report about your visit!

Well, I got my wish!!! ;-) We were transferred from Bellamy Creek ... Yaaaaaaaaaay. He didn't get sent to the U.P as I thought, but back to Detroit. It's a much longer drive now... Bellamy was 50 minutes away and Detroit is 2 hours and 45 minutes... but it will be worth it, knowing that he isn't as miserable as he was at that place! I am happy when he is at peace in his situation (as peaceful as he can be given the circumstance of being imprisoned).

I do hope that you get your wish very soon and that your loved one is transferred to Jackson to get the needed medical attention!

Pam, it was so good to meet you face to face prior to our transfer!

So, I guess with this transfer, I'll be leaving the Bellamy Thread, but I'll pop in from time to time to check on you all... I'm sure we will meet up in another Michigan thread though ;-)

Yaa'
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Congrats on your transfer. I know that in a matter of time they will transfer my guy again. That's just what they do. In the meantime, we'll make the best of it. I'm sure we will run into each other in other forums or on g2g's. They are fun and we laugh a lot. Its a great place to just kind of let your guard down.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:49 PM
JoRgE's SoUl PrOvIdEr

Well everyone i got some news from the " DORM " my fiance just told me yesterdy that today they are supposed to be putting in sandwhich machines!!! YAAAAAH! I'm really glad because he rarely eats breakfast and he misses lunch and dinner. Now we have to see exactly what they are gonna have as far as food. I'm just glad my hunny isn't gonna be starving anymore. I felt really bad after visits cuz he hadn't eaten all day except the junk food they had available.
Oh yeah by the way he says that the food is alot better than in most other places that he's been to. Not alot but what they serve is good.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:52 PM

WOW!!! Maybe there will be some hope across the road at MTU!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Well I hope they fill the machine regularly as well. I know what you mean about feeling bad because they don't get to eat much when on a visit. Having another machine is a good idea. Now we only need to get a juice/coffee machine. Maybe they could replace one of the candy/chip machines with a juice coffee machine. Space is very limited in that visiting room as it is.