Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Congrats!!! The next visit can never get here fast enough for me. LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 12:00 AM

How long are the visits at Lakeland? My guy has been in there for about a month and he's getting depressed really easily. He says there are about 5 guys that dominate the television in the main room and they do not care who is watching what, they just come up and change it. He has a disablity also which effects his walking and it is starting to really bother him now, and he said all he does is read books and sleep. He called this morning saying he finally got to send out his visitation forms, and he wants me to fill it out and return it as fast as he can.. I haven't seen him since august. And his family doesn't help him out very much, and I'm the ex-girlfriend and I do more for him. He's really upset by that too..

Anyway, back to my inital question.. How long do visits last? How much are the vending machines so I know how much to bring? And what is the dress code so I don't get denied on my first visit. I normally dress modestly, but can you wear jeans or does it have to be dressy and such?

If anyone can tell me the in's and outs of Lakeland I would apprecciate it.

Oh and also, to send them books, or puzzle books, 1) is it even possible there? and 2) does it have to be from a publisher, or can I personally send it out?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:20 PM

Not sure of the visiting hours. If you check the index of this thread, you'll find a link on Lakeland that will have the hours posted.

You are allowed to take in $15 in change for each visitor. You can wear jeans to visit, just not skin tight and your bra strap can't show.

At all MI facilities books have to come from an approved vendor. Check the index in the General Prison Talk forum and there should be a link listing them.

FYI - The indexes are "stickys" that are posted in the beginning of each forum.

Last edited by DJB's Wife; 11-20-2006 at 07:22 PM..
Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 AM

Any new info at Lakeland? My fiance just moved there Wednesday.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

The only thing new is they are supposed to start getting color tvs in April.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Yeah I saw that! Thanks! Has everyone had good experiences with visitation? Im wondering how fast they get the visiting applications processed. I tried to send a book "g-spot" and "candy licker" to him at Egeler. They rejected them. Would I be able to send them to him at Lakeland?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Whether the book will get in varies by facility and who's working in the mailroom, but there not suppose to allow in books with sexual content.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Shut the noise!! I dont think I've read a book without sexual content since elementary!!! lol Ok, this will be difficult for me.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM

Hi Ladies. I'm just wondering how much your phone calls are running you. I called to see if I changed my area code to the same as Lakeland would the the rate be reduced. CBS says no one receiving calls from Lakeland have reduced rates. Even if they are in the same area. My calls are currently $8.68

Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Anyone here accepting calls from Lakeland???

Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 AM

Default phine calls

hello

my husband was at lakeland now over at crane our calls are 3 25 for 15 min not too bad i dont think hope this helps oh also when he calls you can hit the button that askes if you want a rate quote if i remember right they use sprint
Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Donation Award 

I'm from Westland and about 2 hours away from Lakeland my calls are $7.82 for 15 minutes.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM

My hubby wishes he was back in Lakeland what till I tell him they will be havin color tvs lol
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM

I got a Coldwater cell phone number and my calls are $2.18 for 15 minutes. It isn't calling from Lakeland, it is Camp Branch but all three places are next to one another.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I love that man!

WOW ~ its been along time since anyone has posted here. I had my first visit at Lakeland on Thursday. The drive will definately take some getting used to, we transferred from Ionia which was only an hour away. Now its 2 hours one way. A very long drive, although I know it could be worse. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to remove my socks for the CO to check the bottoms of my feet. But she did rifle thru my hair alittle bit, it was all ok tho, just different. I was happy to see comfortable chairs in the VR. We had gotten used to plain hard plastic chairs so this was nice.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I love that man!

February 27, 2009 MCO KYI

"LAKELAND SEES UPTICK IN INCIDENTS
Just as Kinross has been busy, so has Lakeland. Almost daily
occurrences of inmate fights, setting fires in retaliation for
living conditions (lack of tobacco), and more. Lowered
classification levels continue to escalate the violence in the
system as well."
Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I love that man!

I visited yesterday and it was great. They had some of the windows open so a slight breeze was blowing thru, it was nice. Spring is on its way!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
MISSING HIM

My husband was at Lakeland but got moved to Cooper street at the end of January because they reclassified him to a level 1. I didn't find the visiting bad except getting terminated on the weekends because it was so busy. My husband has heard that it's a lot different there now.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I love that man!

I went to visit Saturday. I got there about 4pm and almost every chair was taken. I believe some groups were ready to leave so no one that I seen was termed. It was pretty warm in there even tho some of the windows were open. It was a great visit!!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM
I love that man!

I went to visit yesterday and seen they have a new candy/chip machine. It is actually pretty "fancy" looking for a vending machine-haha! The previous one had been acting up that last few visits (only accepting exact change). I also had my change counted this time (and of course I was over). The first time in 3 different facilities in two years. The CO was polite about it and I just returned the excess to my locker. Overall it was a nice visit.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,928 Times in 951 Posts
Default Former Lakland inmate death, please read...(long)

Hello fellow family and friends of Lakeland inmates.
My brother Robert E. "Rick" Schraw was a former inmate of Lakeland prison for approx 10-11 yrs until his realease on August 5, 2008. His release came as a surprise to his family, friends and his fellow incarcerated friends of Lakeland as my brother was a lifer.
Unfortunately my brother was only able to celebrate 5 months of freedom as he died on Jan 28, 2009 of a sudden,massive heart attack while shoveling snow. He was 51 yrs old.
This post is important because it has come to my attention that his loss is being mourned by the many who knew and loved him at Lakeland. When his death occurred the warden was notified as she was an integral part of my brother being released, we asked that his many friends, and even staff who interacted with my brother be notified as well. However, the details were not shared concerning how he died, and if he suffered during his death.
Please if you have a loved one at Lakeland and they knew my brother, please let them know he did not suffer. He was most likely dead when he hit the ground although resusitation measures were taken.
He lived a full life in the 5 months he was out. We are a Christian family and believe that God gave us the gift of his presence for a short but wonderful time. He had a parole officer that he only had to see every 3 months, and who gave him much leeway to travel to visit his family. He visited Florida to visit our sister and her family, he spent Thanksgiving at home with his family, he spent Christmas in Virginia Beach with our sister and nephew. He spend New Year's eve at his church with our little brother who was visiting from Colorado. He visited and spent time with his close friends and family at every opportunity. He never once forgot his close friends at Lakeland and spoke of them often. He was waiting for his four years to go by so that he could resume contact with them. My brother was truly an amazing person and is sadly missed by all.

Rest in peace my darling brother until we meet again, I love you.
Your little sister,
Staci
Please feel free to share this and respond.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Donation Award 

Oh Staci I am so sorry to read this about your brother passing. (((Hugs))) I still have those pics you had wanted me to do something with. He looked so happy in those pics. Such a shame he wouldn't be my pen pal, so I could've gotten to know him better. Sending my prayers for you and your family. I do know of someone in Lakeland and I will be sure to pass it along, so he can do that in there. Take care.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I love that man!

Visits were cancelled all weekend due to a quarantine issue. I called Lakeland today to see if it was lifted yet. The quarantine has been extended until April 3.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I love that man!

Now the visits are suspended until April 10 and they will evaluate the situation again. This really stinks but I definately don't want to get sick either. Hopefully it blows over soon.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Danny's 1 and Only

Danny and I were talking about this and he asked me if anyone knew what would happen if they decided to call a quarantine while a visitor was there... because as far as he knows by policy if a quarantine is put into effect nobody can come in or go out until the quarantine is lifted and that includes employees and visitors. Anyone have any clues?

until my Aunt gets her 1st chance.