Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Well my man was recently moved here, so I'm hoping to go visit at the end of May or beginning of June since I will be in Michigan at that time.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Does anyone know how the programs work with the dogs?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Dead @ Lakeland

My fiancee passed away Saturday @ Lakeland and I completely blame that facility. He complained about chest pains and not being able to breath for two months and they did nothing. If you have a loved one that is not receiving proper medical care please, please, please do all that you can to ge them the help that they need and deserve as human beings. I have a 3 year old daughter that will never get the chance to know her father.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers. It is so inhumane how our loved ones are treated. I have a son in the system and he has told me that according to MDOC, everyone inside those stinking walls are just a number to them. Makes my blood boil, as everyone is a human being and God says to forgive no matter the sin that got them there.
Again please know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers. And I pray that you get answers to why your husband did not get the help he needed, as if it were me, I would fight this until I got the answers and someone was held accountable for this.
May God give you strength and comfort in your time of sorrow.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your fiance passing. I would get a lawyer that works on a percentage basis and sue them. May God give your strength.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Hi, what would you like to know about it. My boyfriend is in the program so I will try and answer to the best that I can or ask him things I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaAnn View Post
Does anyone know how the programs work with the dogs?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM

My boyfriend was just transferred to Lakeland. What is visiting like there? I know each facility (and CO) is different when it comes to enforcing the rules in the visitation room.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Hi

Hello. Just discovered this place randomly...My guy/friend is at Lakeland and I'm gearing up for my first visit there too. I haven't been to a prison to visit him in 20 years and I'm nervous.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole525 View Post
Hello. Just discovered this place randomly...My guy/friend is at Lakeland and I'm gearing up for my first visit there too. I haven't been to a prison to visit him in 20 years and I'm nervous.
I was a little nervous when I first visited my boyfriend but that quickly went away once I saw him. He noticed that I was nervous and helped to put me at ease. The visiting room is very small, only has the capacity for 49 people so I would not recommend that you go at the start time or you may get bumped. I have only visited on Sundays so I don't know how it is during the week. Also the visitation days is based on odd or even numbers so make sure you know which days your guy's visits are on.

when you purchase food you have to open everything in front of the CO and place it on a plate before going back to your seat . Your guy is allowed to go to the machines to see what he wants as long as no one else is up there.

I have only visited twice so far and got bumped at my last visit. I was going to leave and come back but since we are not allowed to sit in the lot my babe didn't want me driving around a strange city.

If you want to take pictures you can buy the tickets from the CO when you check in at $2.50 which will give you 1 8X10 or 2 4X6.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 AM

I see this hasn't been added to since 2006! Are there still people around on the thread with Lakeland info etc?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Actually there are a few more recent posts. Maybe you were only on the first page? The newer ones are not on top so go to the last page to find something from this year, etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueinLondonUK View Post
I see this hasn't been added to since 2006! Are there still people around on the thread with Lakeland info etc?
I visit by fiance at Lakeland. I can provide some info if needed.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Hi - sorry, I think I did only look at the first page! Doh!
I have a pen friend that I am writing to who is in lakeland and was generally wondering what the place s like. My enfrend said there is a dog programme and gardening which sounds great plus he said they are housed in dormitory style sleeping whereas my other penfriends in MO, PA, and CA are in cells etc.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM

The visiting room is very small, only holds 49 people which means there is a very good chance that visits will get terminated. My babe did tell me that it is dorm style rooms which are over crowded. I have not heard about the gardening but he did tell me about the dog program. They wanted him to get a dog to train but he didn't want to. He also told me that there are a lot of sick and old people there. He actually hates it there. He's hoping to be transferred out.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Default JPay not working at Lakeland??

Hey,
Does anyone know what's wrong with JPay at Lakeland? My fiancee called me yesterday and he said that the machines were not working so the inmates didn't have access to emails or their money on their accounts... Is that true??
Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM

Hello thought I would check in. My father was just moved here from Carson City Correctional. His 70th birthday is next month I wonder did they move him here becasue this place is a better facility for older fellas? I heard about the dog program I hope my dad can get involved he has experience training and rescuing dogs. Anyway hope to get to know the group here.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Default Lakeland

I have a loved one who is at Lakeland correctional Facility and I am so new to this whole experience. Can anyone help me and guide me to what to expect? I sent in my application for our first visit and I am waiting for a response. I have never been to a jail or prison so I do not know what to wear or bring or what to expect? My man has been their for a very long time but because of a change in the law he might be coming home by next year. I pray everyday that it will happen for him by next year. I see that the wheels of justice move very slow how do you handle this? thanks for any advice you can give me.
Angie

Last edited by Aflo; 12-16-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Old 12-26-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflo View Post
I have a loved one who is at Lakeland correctional Facility and I am so new to this whole experience. Can anyone help me and guide me to what to expect? I sent in my application for our first visit and I am waiting for a response. I have never been to a jail or prison so I do not know what to wear or bring or what to expect? My man has been their for a very long time but because of a change in the law he might be coming home by next year. I pray everyday that it will happen for him by next year. I see that the wheels of justice move very slow how do you handle this? thanks for any advice you can give me.
Angie
Hi Angie! I was just approved to visit my man and he's at Lakeland too - I'm in the same boat, I've never been to visit someone in prison either. I can tell you a little bit from what he's told me. You need to dress modestly - no cleavage showing, no short skirts or shorts, etc. He also said you're restricted to 4 pieces of jewelry, too. The visitor's room is small, so your visit may be terminated if it gets too busy. However, they won't terminate your visit if you're travelling more than 2 hours to get there. You can bring up to $25 in change with you for the vending machines in the room. Also, if you want to take a picture, you tell them when you check in and pay them - $2.50. When you're in there, physical contact is limited to a hug and kiss at the beginning of the visit, a hug and kiss at the end, and you can hold hands. And that's it! That's all.I know for now, it'll be a little bit before I can go visit, but I'll post what I know when I go

When are you planning to visit, Angie? Will you please post after your visit so I can find out what else to expect?

Dawn
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawn1979 For This Useful Post:
Aflo (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 11:52 PM

Dawn, I will be going to visit my man on Sunday tomorrow. I am very excited and I can not wait to see him and look into his eye. I promise that as soon as I get home I will post what it was like and the set up and what the facilitates are like. I must also say that maybe we can get a car pool that goes to visit Lakeland. I do not live too far from there only about an hour and about 40 minute drive. I would love to have someone take that drive with me in the future.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Dawn, I will be going to visit my man on Sunday tomorrow. I am very excited and I can not wait to see him and look into his eye. I promise that as soon as I get home I will post what it was like and the set up and what the facilitates are like. I must also say that maybe we can get a car pool that goes to visit Lakeland. I do not live too far from there only about an hour and about 40 minute drive. I would love to have someone take that drive with me in the future.
Awesome! Have fun and enjoy!! Can't wait to hear how it goes and what's going on there! I'm not sure I'll be the best option for a carpool, I'm in Ontario so I'll only be able to make the drive to visit every couple of months. But I agree, it would be awesome to have someone to share the drive and to talk with!

Can't wait to hear about your visit, Angie
Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 AM

Default My first visit to Lakeland

My visit was great, First, the drive was not bad It was only an hour and 45 minutes from my house and that in itself was a wonderful thing. I got there at 10:00am and stayed until the end at 9:00 or 9:30 I forget. I will say make sure you dress very modest and DO NOT wear leggings or anything like that. They will either make you go to family dollar and get some jeans or jogging pants or a skirts. The lady at the front desk told me to always wear a long skirt or dress or jeans with NO holes at all. She said that your sweater could not have a hood and NO WATCHES Well when I first got there the room was pretty much empty and we talked forever and I got him some snacks I do not do eat snacks so I just had water. Make sure you bring plenty of quarters because you can not bring cash bills in you must also have your coins in a clear zip lock bag. If you do not have one they will supply you one. You can get a locker and put you purse and coat in. There is only 1 restroom and you can not go during count time. The inmate cannot be at the vending machines at the same time as you so he can tell you what he want and you have to buy it take it to the front and open the bags then put the food on a plate and tray, then take it to your inmate. It got somewhat crowded and they asked for volunteers to leave but then it got very slow to the point where there was only a few other people in the room with us. We were able to hug and kiss at the beginning of the visit and at the end of the visit but we could hold hands and he was able to put his arm around my neck and we touched each other's hands and arms. The room was small and a little chilly but I was so excited to be with my love that he keep me warm. I was there from just about the beginning until the end and it seemed like I was there for only 5 minutes. I got to take 2 bathroom breaks and so did my love. I will be going back as soon as possible. I will make sure I have on some jeans that are not too tight because it really depends on the person at the front desk, I will make sure I have tons of change and it cost $2.50 for a picture and you get 2 pictures. The facility was nice and rather clean for a prison. The guards were very nice and I was there for 2 shaft changes and a count. When they are having count you have to stay in the room until it is over then you can leave or go to the bathroom. If anyone have any questions or if I forgot anything please feel free to ask me anything. If anyone want to do a carpool let me know. I will be going on a regular basis.
Angela

Last edited by Aflo; 12-28-2015 at 12:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Aflo For This Useful Post:
Dawn1979 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM

That's awesome Angela, thank you!! So glad your visit was fantastic
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn1979 View Post
That's awesome Angela, thank you!! So glad your visit was fantastic
Your welcome Dawn, I will be going back this Sunday to visit him again. I am so excited. I pray it is not crowded, I know you live in Canada but if you every want to do a visit you can come here and I will meet you somewhere and we can ride together.
Angela
Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Default Id needed

How can a prison who has been in prison since he was a child get his social security card. He does not know the number but needs it because he works? Can any one help me help him?
Thank you
Old 01-05-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
How can a prison who has been in prison since he was a child get his social security card. He does not know the number but needs it because he works? Can any one help me help him?
Thank you
Yes. Just have him take his birth certificate (the one with the seal...not a copy) and his prison ID (or other photo ID) in to the social security office in his area. He can apply for a replacement card. You can find more info here: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/