Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflo View Post
Your welcome Dawn, I will be going back this Sunday to visit him again. I am so excited. I pray it is not crowded, I know you live in Canada but if you every want to do a visit you can come here and I will meet you somewhere and we can ride together.
Angela
If you're okay with it, I just may take you up on that, Ang. I'm a little nervous about where to go on the first visit - it would be great to have someone there with me, you know? Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
Yes. Just have him take his birth certificate (the one with the seal...not a copy) and his prison ID (or other photo ID) in to the social security office in his area. He can apply for a replacement card. You can find more info here:
By the looks of things on that site, if he's still in prison, he can mail in the application for a replacement?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawn1979 For This Useful Post:
Aflo (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn1979 View Post
By the looks of things on that site, if he's still in prison, he can mail in the application for a replacement?
He needs to speak with his counselor to get the required documentation. I thought he was out. Here is the website for getting a replacement card for a prisoner. I would print this out and mail it to him so he can show the counselor. I don't think that SSA will mail him a card to the prison (and I wouldn't want my SS card floating around a prison, anyway). The counselor should know the process. It will be part of the parole process to have a social security card. I have my son's (and keep a copy for my records). https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110225125
The Following User Says Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
Aflo (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 PM

Pookiedoo2,
Well, he is still in prison so he is not able to go to the Social Security Office. But he works and because he does not have a SSN, they take a lot of his money for taxes. I just read that he should not be paying taxes but, he said that they are calling is a penalty because he does not have a SSN. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for answering my question. For some reason non of his legal work has his SSN any place where his SSN should be is just all zeros.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 PM

Cool

Quote:
If you're okay with it, I just may take you up on that, Ang. I'm a little nervous about where to go on the first visit - it would be great to have someone there with me, you know? Thank you!!!
Just let me know I have been twice so far and the visits have been great I get there very early and stay until the end but it seems like we are only together for a short time. I will be going back soon we just have to work out the date because he only get 2 weekend visits a month and I have already used one for this month. Then during the weekdays they have odd and even days that they can visit and visitation does not start until 2:30 and end at 9:00 so I like Sunday because I can be there from 9a.m until 9p.m and I love it.. Just make sure you dress right because both times they were very strict with the dress code, I was dressed great the second time but the first time I had to go buy pants because they said I had on leggings but I didn't they were just black stinky jeans. OOoh, and no watches at all.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflo View Post
Just let me know I have been twice so far and the visits have been great I get there very early and stay until the end but it seems like we are only together for a short time. I will be going back soon we just have to work out the date because he only get 2 weekend visits a month and I have already used one for this month. Then during the weekdays they have odd and even days that they can visit and visitation does not start until 2:30 and end at 9:00 so I like Sunday because I can be there from 9a.m until 9p.m and I love it.. Just make sure you dress right because both times they were very strict with the dress code, I was dressed great the second time but the first time I had to go buy pants because they said I had on leggings but I didn't they were just black stinky jeans. OOoh, and no watches at all.
Hey Ang! Have you been back to visit since this post? I hope you have and that it's been just as great as the first two visits!!

Can I ask you a question? My man mentioned there might be a problem if your bra has metal underwires. I don't know if this is TMI or if you wear such garments, but have you had problems with this?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Hey Ang! Have you been back to visit since this post? I hope you have and that it's been just as great as the first two visits!!

Can I ask you a question? My man mentioned there might be a problem if your bra has metal underwires. I don't know if this is TMI or if you wear such garments, but have you had problems with this?
Everytime I've gone (to other prisons) there has been the no underwire rule. Just get a sports bra...
Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Everytime I've gone (to other prisons) there has been the no underwire rule. Just get a sports bra...
Thank you!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Recent visit to Lakeland

Pookiedoo2; I have just went back Sunday that just pasted to visit my man and he asked me to marry him I was so surprised. The next day we got great news the Supreme Court decided 6-3 that keeping children who have committed crimes in prison for life in unconstitutional and that means that my love will be able to either get a reduced sentence or a parole hearing and possible be home to me in a short time. Well, at least he will not have to spend the rest of his life in prison for something he did at 16 years old. I will start going to visit him every other week mostly on Sundays because the visit time is from 9 am until 9 pm. As usual I had a small probably with my clothes, on guard felt my shirt was to low but a different guard said it was just fine. I did not have to change or wear a robe. I dress very conservative and I know I make sure I am always covered up because that is just how I dress. I am not a young girl so I do not like my body showing in public. lol But for the most part the guards are very nice.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I wear underwire and I have not had a problem yet. I would say make sure you wear sheer socks because you have to take off your shoes and if they can not see the bottom of your feet you will have to take off your socks too. I wear underwire bras and belts in my pants. You just have to make sure you have on a Bra or they will make you wear a robe. I have seen some ladies in the visiting room with robes on that the guards gave them to wear because their clothes were not appropriate. I just wear jeans not jegging or legging and a sweater or a tea shirt with a sweater because it do be a little chilly in the room. They will not allow any kind of huddies or shirts with cuss or certain sayings on them. I wore my hair down this last time and they made me lift up my hair in the back to check for whatever. I think it all depends on what guards are at the front desk. OOOh make sure you have plenty of change not pennies but silver dollars and quarters because the vending machines are very expenses. They say you can only bring $25 in change but I bring more. I stay from 9 or 10a.m until 9 when visitation is over.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 PM

Will visit there again in September. Been there once before, 10 visits in a row, and the vending machines were always almost full and the price isn't that bad considering the quality of the food. Compared to vending machine's in TX.
Guards are very nice always interested in my passport. LOL obviously there aren't that much European women visiting the facility. The guards never really count the money that you bring in. I once by accident had over 40 dollars with me no problem at all. The visiting room isn't that big only once in the memorial weekend people were asked to cut their visit short. Must admit I found it to be chilly in the visiting room nothing that not can't be solved ;-) It was a respite that the overall atmosphere in the visiting room felt friendly sometimes because of a certain guard that still only see human beings in her visiting room instead of inmates and people. If she is there you will notice even the guys are relaxed when she has duty. Salute her for that...
Old 11-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf's Girl View Post
Will visit there again in September. Been there once before, 10 visits in a row, and the vending machines were always almost full and the price isn't that bad considering the quality of the food. Compared to vending machine's in TX.
Guards are very nice always interested in my passport. LOL obviously there aren't that much European women visiting the facility. The guards never really count the money that you bring in. I once by accident had over 40 dollars with me no problem at all. The visiting room isn't that big only once in the memorial weekend people were asked to cut their visit short. Must admit I found it to be chilly in the visiting room nothing that not can't be solved ;-) It was a respite that the overall atmosphere in the visiting room felt friendly sometimes because of a certain guard that still only see human beings in her visiting room instead of inmates and people. If she is there you will notice even the guys are relaxed when she has duty. Salute her for that...
I was there when you were You came in March, right? I had driven down from Canada and my man was so impressed that you and your friend had come all the way from the Netherlands!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:56 PM

So, my observations on Lakeland for anyone going to visit!

I've been there a number of times from March - October. You want to dress conservatively to make sure you're not flashing any skin anywhere. They can be real sticklers for the dress code, so you're best off to abide by it. If you don't, they'll send you off to the Family Dollar up the road to buy different clothing. Also, I recommend stopping at a bank or the car wash up the road to get change. The change machine isn't always stocked and operational. Also, don't try to add in too much extra change above your daily limit, they do randomly check your baggie to make sure you don't have extra in there. If you get caught with extra, they'll either let you put the extra change in your locker or terminate you on the spot, so be careful with that!

The visiting room is small, so on weekends or holidays, you do run the risk of being terminated to allow other people to come in to see their loved ones. The one good thing is that if you're coming from more than 2 hours or 200 miles away, you cannot be terminated.

The vending machines are well stocked and not terribly pricey, but if you're there for 12 hours on a weekend, $25 doesn't go very far!

Some guards are more eagle-eyed than others when it comes to physical contact during a visit. You do need to be careful not to get too affectionate. Holding hands, sitting with an arm around him or his around you is fine.... you get one embrace and kiss at the beginning of the visit, and one of each at the end. At least you can get an extra embrace and kiss in if you pay to get a picture or two taken Also, a tip - if you want to get an extra kiss in with the pictures, tell the photographer you don't like the first shot and ask to have it taken again

Most of the guards I've had contact with have been anywhere from polite up to downright friendly. I haven't had a problem with any of them.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. Can't wait to get back there in December!

Last edited by Dawn1979; 11-03-2016 at 02:02 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I was there when you were You came in March, right? I had driven down from Canada and my man was so impressed that you and your friend had come all the way from the Netherlands!
It was May and June but yes I was there with my former friend
Old 11-03-2016, 02:09 PM

I agree with your observations Dawn 1979. ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Raf's Girl For This Useful Post:
Dawn1979 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It was May and June but yes I was there with my former friend
sorry about that! It was May, you're absolutely right. Abd I'm sorry about your friend now being a former are you going back any time soon?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I agree with your observations Dawn 1979. ;-)
Thanks Raf's Girl! I agree with yours too
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 AM

Dawn it seems we are the only two visiting this part of the forum:-).
It wasn't my choice to end the friendship but it is what it is, life goes on.
I hope she finds what she is looking for.
I think the guards at LCF aren't that difficult. I had a different experience at a prison in TX. They tried to bully you away, it was a sad sideshow they seemed allergic to kindness.
I "liked" LCF from the beginning, the last visit is always the hardest, you don't want to leave them behind but you know you must just walk away just to preserve the visits that might come. We pen pal and I were aware of that, this isn't the end but the beginning of many more visits. If you misbehave in the eyes of the guard at work it is their words against yours and they know so we were always careful.
I visited him again in September for his B'Day and next time we visit will be in the summer of 2017. So we have something to look forward to.
Are you going back anytime soon??
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Are they on lock down or did I piss him off???
Old 12-07-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Are they on lock down or did I piss him off???
As far as I know, they aren't on lock down- I received a Jpay early this morning, so I think they're ok. When did you hear from him last?

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I missed your last message! I'm going back this week to see him, actually it's been two months since we saw each other last, do I'm pretty excited to get back!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 AM

I guess than I will wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Problem solved.
I really hope you have a wonderful visit.
I will go back next year looking forward to it

Last edited by Raf's Girl; 12-07-2016 at 09:36 AM..
Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 PM

Hi, new here...

My father just got sent to this prison from being at Jackson for almost a month. I never thought this would be our lives... but things happen

Looking forward to getting to learning more about what my father's life will be like here. It's hard to communicate with him just yet. I didn't know they used GLT for phones, and my Dad really isn't computer savy. He called me for the first time after not hearing his voice for over a month but he only had one minute free to talk. I tried to get money on for longer but it cut me off. I hope he calls back or gets my messages I've sent him in JPay.

~ Amanda
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Mandapanda, it's going to be ok. people will show him the ropes, and he can always ask a counselor. The wrinkles will smooth out.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
As far as I know, they aren't on lock down- I received a Jpay early this morning, so I think they're ok. When did you hear from him last?

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I missed your last message! I'm going back this week to see him, actually it's been two months since we saw each other last, do I'm pretty excited to get back!
Okay better late than never but Dawn how was your visit???
Sorry for responding this late but things did happen and I was occupied with it.
Thank god it had nothing to do with my friend inside. We are still pen pals and friends.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:24 AM

Do you have any idea that Something is wrong in L.C.F.?
A lock down? Something wrong with the phones? Haven't heard from friend for 3 days.
I'm so worried and also is his mom