Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 AM

My son & I went yesterday for a visit and the guard at the front desk wasn't very nice. My son has asthma and has always taken his inhaler in with him. No other facility has ever said anything about it. Well they sure did here!! She said he couldn't take it in with him. I said well if there's someone in there that has a lot of perfume on and sets him into an asthma attack then it will be on the facility if he ends up in the hospital or worse yet needing an ambulance. I was mad to say the least.Then she said well he can take it in but needs to leave it with the guard at the desk.We got in there and the guard at the desk told him he could have it on him. They need to get their story straight on policy.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Serendipitous Blessings

Default Slightly ranting

One time I had to call up there and inquire when the inmate passed in his unit and the lady who answered the phone told me that it was impossible that he was not able to have access to his stuff which clearly I knew otherwise I finally just asked to speak to the shift CO who then was very pleasant explained how things were going to be remedied to get the displaced guys something to shower etc. But she was so rude about it that the CO apologized about it.
Another thing that seems to be an issue is the phones about every third Sunday are staticy or plain just don't work. I get calls every night mostly except those nights. You would think that with all the times the phones are not able to be used those would be the times when they would work on the phones.
None of us make visits something that was decided upon along time ago so fortunatly we don't have to deal with those times. It just got to be too much for the visits to occur.

The Following User Says Thank You to younglady82 For This Useful Post:
Bobbyswife48838 (11-08-2009)
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM

I went and visited yesterday. There was a lady waiting to go back in after count and the guard at the desk was real loud and told her that since she didnt have a bra on that she couldnt go back in. She even said she don't know how the lady got in to begin with. I felt the CO should've been more discreet about something like that instead of announcing like she did.

It surpizes me everytime I go how busy the visiting room is there. I'm so used to their hardly being anyone visiting when I'd see my husband up north.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Wow!! it was busy last night on Friday the 13th. The visiting room was full. I forgot what its like to have that many people around when on a visit. It was pretty loud but we still managed to tune everyone else out and enjoy our visit.

We said now that he's so close to coming home we weren't going to take anymore pictures. I decided to buy one last night. I can't believe they won't let our men stand behind us. That's the 1st facility where you can't take pictures like that.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Anyone know what its like to visit either on Thanksgiving or the day after?

Those are my days off from work and I've been going weekly but I wondered if it'll be less busy on Thanksgiving than the day after.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Well I went Thanksgiving Day and the day after. Thanksgiving wasn't that busy at all. The day after the guard that took me back said that earlier in the day they were having to terminate visits. I went later in the day so it wasn't to bad. It was crowded but no visits were terminated while I was there.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 AM

I went that Saturday. Got there early and it wasn't crowded at all for about two hours then everyone started coming in. We didn't get terminated, since I usually leave after three or four hours because of the three hour drive home. I don't see too well at night so I try to get back to my home area before it gets too dark.

There was an incident with the guard who was bringing back the female visitors. One of the young girls who came in after me was very upset. She had her hair up in a pony tail and a clip and they made her take it down and shake out her hair. I can understand that since you could hide something in there. However, her biggest complaint was the way she was patted down. The guard ran her hands over the breasts rather than the way they are supposed to do it. She did this with me and the other women who came in with me. To be honest, I have gotten so used to the searches that I don't even notice them anymore (I even was searched by a male guard once at Pugsley because there wasn't a female available). They ended up calling in the shift commander and when I left the guard was in the area where you show your hand and give your visitor badge back. Guess complaining did something! But I really hate that place anyway. I wish he was closer.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 PM

I visited last night and the vending machines would only accept the correct change towards the end of the night. The CO in there called the control center and it just so happens that the guy for the vending machines was there. He came in and fixed the machines.

They put the Christmas tree up and decorated it and around the windows. I thought that was kind of nice. My husband wants our son to come with me this week so we can take a picture in front of the tree so I can make up our Christmas cards and get them sent out.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Highly Favored

what company handles their phone service in muskegon? CBS said they dont handle muskegon.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

They have an actual Christmas tree in the VR? Every other facility the tree was in the lobby or whatever you want to call it. I have never seen one in the VR. I hope I get to visit so he can see it. But the weather doesn't want to cooperate at all this week. It's a 190 mile, 3 hour drive and the weather out there is a lot worse than here.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 AM

I went to see my husband yesterday and we're counting down the days now til Jan 14th. 26 and a wake up!!! I can't wait. I'm nervous and excited all in one

The picture guy plugged in the Christmas tree and was told that it could only be on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day at first. But then so many visitors complained that they decided to allow people to have it on take pictures in front of any day. They said they're trying to conserve energy.Maybe the CO's are because they don't want to have to walk over to it and bend down to unplug it..lol God forbid they have to get out of their chair in the visiting room.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyswife48838 View Post
God forbid they have to get out of their chair in the visiting room.
Or off the phone... sheeesh people they have paid annual leave to plan ya know!

Their jobs really do suck. They say it's something like 90% boredom and 10% holy shit. I think it's about 75% anxiety from being caught in a vise between the administration and the inmates. Passive aggression is how they deal with it.

Last edited by RAJustice; 12-18-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up Staff At West Shoreline Correctional Facility

My nephew is located at West Shoreline. The staff is very nice there I believe. They greet you with respect and remember...as long as you are polite, they will be responsive to you. Louie, my nephew, has been there for about five weeks now. We are so happy since this is our hometown and it's been a long time coming! He seems to be adjusting to the non-private environment, meaning basically that the level ones can be very loud, hard to study for his college classes. He uses his mp3 light at night to study when all seems to quiet down, not good for his vision, but you do what you have to do.

We have around 10 months and 20 days to go! We are excited for his release, but like he feels, nervous to. He feels positive about not ever returning to the system, it's just his future job out look that makes him wonder, with a felony and all. However,,,,,MPRI helps out a great deal in that area do I have heard. Hopefully he can gain some college credits and [plans on attending college to fininsh his degree post release.

I agree the visiting room is very HOT! But I then dress in short sleeves, I cannot stand being in a hot room, gives me a headace! I wish the vending machines in the visiting room had coke products, like the one in the waiting room, but again, you cannot bring it in with you which seems stupid to even buy one. I was there yesterday, on Christmas, it was great! We have fun and laugh a ton. The time really does fly by during visits.
Hope you all have positive expieriences while visiting West Shoreline like I do. The postitively worst faciltiy I visited, and reported to the Director, was PARNALL! They were nothing but LAZY.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Highly Favored

The Muskegon facilities must be really cool, I was in Muskegon this entire weekend and I enjoyed my visits. The staff is very polite and helpful and they actually talk to you. I asked one of the female CO's how to go about bringing in extra items for when women are on their cycle and she actually called right then to get me information how about that!

sisnik
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisnik View Post
what company handles their phone service in muskegon? CBS said they dont handle muskegon.
Did you recieve an answer to this ?? CBS doesn't handle the calls ?? My hubby just arrived yesterday to West Shoreline and I am waiting on a call. I know it can take a few days but I need to make sure the our account with CBS will still work. Also could someone please explain the odd/even visting on weekends please.... Thanks !!!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Highly Favored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleysgirl View Post
Did you recieve an answer to this ?? CBS doesn't handle the calls ?? My hubby just arrived yesterday to West Shoreline and I am waiting on a call. I know it can take a few days but I need to make sure the our account with CBS will still work. Also could someone please explain the odd/even visting on weekends please.... Thanks !!!

Hey there! I actually did get the answer a while back from another thread and yes CBS does handle the calls. When we hang up it still says evercom so yea its the same at all the Mich facilities. When my bf was transferred from Egeler to Cooper I called CBS just to make sure the calls transferred and they did. If their inmate number ends in an even number they visit on the day that is even. So if Sunday is the 24th then the even number inmates visit on that day and Saturday has to be the 23rd so the other inmates visit that day. I hope this makes sense becasue this is how it was explained to me.

sisnik
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 AM

Thanks Sisik ! He has called me a few times now. :-D I am so happy he is finally moved. Now I can see him on his birthday AND our anniversary !!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Serendipitous Blessings

I am tired of West Shoreline... it is time that we moved on for sure! anyone else have trouble with harassment? How did everyone handle the situation? I am trying to be calm about it all but it is so excessive anymore. I have tried so many times to call but there seems to never be anyone that will listen. Any advice?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Highly Favored

Hey younglady whats going on with you? I see you're getting a little disturbed with Shoreline but dont let it get to you girl, hang in there.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Donation Award 

Exclamation TB tests west Shoreline

My son is in West Shoreline and they made him do another TB test. He just had one in March 2010, when he asked why again so soon he was told he had recently been exposed to it and thats why the test needed to be done. He called today and said it was negative any body else getting tested there???

Last edited by 4Given; 08-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: forum
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Serendipitous Blessings

Mine has not been tested as of yesterday... he has LOP this weekend so he can not call again until Monday. Will ask him then what he knows

Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thank-you, I don't like this not knowing anything all the time. It's his health and well being.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Mrs. Sanders

Hello Ladies,
I been looking for women who might be interested in car pooling to Muskegon. I live in Taylor which is like 3 hours from there and I hate going alone. I also dont have a realiable car to get there which also to a BIG obstacle for me and my husband. I have took the transportation van there but that is a big headache. I have no problem paying gas money so if there is anyone out there who lives in my area who is interested in car pooling please leave me an email.. Thanks so much
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Question Updated Information

Can someone with a loved one at West Shoreline Correctional update me regarding this facility. Most of the posts on this thread are old. From the thread, it sounds like Level I is 8 man blocks. Are there any smaller units?

There were comments about it being old, dirty, noisy and did not have enough toilets for the number of inmates. Is that true?

There were also comments on the thread about the visiting room being hot, small and overcrowded. Visits were sometimes terminated. Is that true?

There were also comments about a lack of activities when compared to other prisons. True?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Can someone with a loved one at West Shoreline Correctional update me regarding this facility. Most of the posts on this thread are old. From the thread, it sounds like Level I is 8 man blocks. Are there any smaller units?
I think they are all like this...
There were comments about it being old, dirty, noisy and did not have enough toilets for the number of inmates. Is that true?
I haven't heard this from my son. I guess it is prob. not too much worse than elsewhere.
There were also comments on the thread about the visiting room being hot, small and overcrowded. Visits were sometimes terminated. Is that true?
It has been very crowded lately at visits. Fairly small and concessions can run low. Must leave to use restroom. We have never been sent home early, but have never gone on weekends.
There were also comments about a lack of activities when compared to other prisons. True?
Not sure what activities you mean. I don't think they have much here.
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. Acts 16:31