Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I love that man!

Default Mich reformatory

hello all. I have a friend at Riverside and they are supposed to move to MR real soon. The CO's are telling that its a rat hole there, black mold, sewage problems, etc.. Any one know of any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Hey dianna--I don't know what Michigan Reformatory is like but I'm sure someone who does will respond soon... Welcome to the Michigan family!

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

I've heard it was remodeled etc, so hopefully the CO is wrong.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

My hubby is at riverside. He sent a letter today and said their last day at Riverside is Sunday. They are moving all remaining inmates to MR. He said MR is a "rat trap" and he's not excited on going. It's a very old facility. One of the first prisons in MI. They still have the old school iron bars on the cells. I'll be going Friday, I'll let you know how it really is.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Yep! MR is an old prison but it was supposed to have been remodeled over the past several years that it has been closed. Yep! I heard about the iron bars. There are still a few prisons in MI that have that. I hope the transition goes smoothly and that its not as bad as we think.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I love that man!

If the visiting days on the DOC website are correct for the Reformatory I guess I won't be going Friday since that is a Level 4 day. They do last until 9pm tho, so thats a plus!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I would call and find out exactly what the visiting times are. Who knows when the website was updated. Please let us know so that we can edit our prison profiles to account for any changes.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I love that man!

Well I just called the MR and the officer told me that they just opened tonight (11-6) and he wasn't sure of the correct visiting hours and to call back tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I love that man!

Default visiting schedule for Michigan Reformatory

Visiting schedule for the Michigan Reformatory:

Segregation - Wed 8:30am-1:30pm

Level II - Tues & Thurs 2:30pm-9pm
Sat 9am-9pm

Level IV - Mon, Wed, Fri 2:30pm-9pm
Sun 9am-9pm

If the visit falls on a state recognized holiday visiting will be:
Segregation 8:30am-10:30am
Level II 11:00am-3pm
Level IV 3:30pm-9pm
Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Default Michigan Reformatory Check-in, Gossip and Info Thread

Here is a thread where PTO members can find information or just check in with others who have a loved one in this facility.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

I went to visit at MR yesterday. It is not the best prison on the map!! It had non working lockers, the entry was kinda different. The visiting room is quite small. It only can seat 54 people and it seems out of place. It definitely looks over 100yrs old. I enjoyed my visit non-the-less. I would go back. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they upped some inmates to level IV just so they could house them there. They are actually level II, but they ran out of level II space and put all the lifers/long termers to level IV just to make room. That was kinda bogus, but it is what it is. Well I hope you all have good visits as well when you go up there. The staff was really nice too. They are still working out the kinks and seem to not totally know everything about the facility yet. Anyway good luck!!
deemoney (12-22-2009)
Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I love that man!

Hi everyone,
I went to MR today. I didn't have a problem with their lockers working but the change machine gave me a hard time. It wouldn't make change for a $10. Thankfully I had some change out in my car. I recognized most of the staff from Riverside and they were pleasant. Another note, they don't have "food" in the visiting room. There's a soda machine and a snack machine but no food (salads, sandwiches, yogurt and such). They also weren't selling pic tickets today oh well there's always next week.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

As far as food in the vending machines that is something that comes out of the prisoner benefit fund I believe. The representatives for the warden's forum should be able to bring that up and ask about that.

Im not surprised that MDOC increased the levels of some lifers/long-timers. They do that quite frequently. They increased my guys level and he was at the upped level for more than a year. I guess they figure with lifers and long-timers it doesn't matter much anyway.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Our Wedding:June 14, 2008

They Have romdeled Michigan Reform. My fiances Uncle used to work there as a CO Years ago. Since it sat vacant for so long, yes it became a rat trap. HOwever they have completely cleaned it out, and it was ready for the people moving from the other prison, before they got there. Just remember, Not all rumors are true..actually they rarely are!!
WE'RE PREGNANT!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Donnysgirl~So true!!! Rumor rarely are true. At times there is usually a kernel of truth to them but rarely are they entirely true. I would suspect that MR was just like any other place that hasn't been lived in for a while. Other things take up residence but with some clean and habitation those things move out.

Don't forget!! Those of you who know or are learning a few things about MR, please update the rest of us so that we can update the MR profile. Feel free to PM me with info and I'll add it to the prison's profile.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM

My husband just transferred to MR can any one tell me what visiting there is like. I am nervous, I have never been to a jail let alone a prison. Can I take him magazines, money, pictures, etc. Can I bring him book, please let me know? Any information would be so HELPFUL! Thanks HEIDI
Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I love that man!

Hello,
I have visited MR twice. You may only bring in your $15.00 in change and picture tickets plus your locker key. Picture tickets are sold for $2.00 in the vending machine in the waiting room. However, when I was there last Saturday they still were not doing pictures. Both times the visitng room was very warm so dress for that. Visiting days depend on his level (it is a level 2 and 4 facility). Those are found in this thread. Keep in mind that if you visit on a state holiday the hours change. You may not bring him anything for the visit. If you want to send him a book you can do that by mail only and then there is a procedure for that (if you want to know exactly how just PM me). As for vending machines there is only a soda machine and one with snacks (no sandwich or salads for sale). The officers have always been decent. Both times an officer announced that if they inmate didn't want to wait out the 9:00pm count in that area they could end their visit at 8:45pm but I didn't see any leave early. The first time is very nerve wrecking, you'll do fine. If you want more detail or anything else feel free to PM me. I visit weekly (he was at Riverside before they closed it). Have a great visit!!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Default New to MR

Hello to all, Obviously I am new to all this, So please bare with me. I just found out this morning, by doing the OTIS search, that my son has been sent to MR. I was searching for info on that and found your forum. Already I know more than when I started, visiting hours and such. The forum is so large it is gonna take awhile to look at everything, just wanted to log in and have a look. Happy Thanksgiving too all, and GOD bless!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

I too visit MR weekly. My husband was at Riverside as well before they closed down. I think MR is a nice facility. I agree the visting room was quite warm. The officers are very nice as well. I did discover that their metal detectors are extremely sensitive. I had to remove my belt, all 3 pair of my earrings, wedding ring, and my necklace before that thing stopped beeping. It was cool though. The female officers got a kick out of it. They said I would end up naked before I got through. So they are very nice people. You must find out what level they are in as Dianna stated, because of different visiting hours. But I'm sure you will do fine on your first visit. I was very nervous the first time I went into a prison because I didn't know what to expect. But once you see your loved one all the nerves go out the window. Just know you will be patted down by a female officer and asked to remove your shoes and socks and show the inside of your mouth. You can't have any gum or candy in your mouth prior to coming into the visiting room. The visiting room there is split level. The first level has the vending machines and up the stairs is where you sit. You will be sitting side by side with your loved one. You are allowed 1 kiss/hug when you come in and 1 when you leave (So make it good, but not TOO good or you can get in trouble). You are allowed to hold hands or put your arm around each other during the visit, but not much more than that. So be prepared for that. I was the first person to visit MR for a level IV visit! So I got first crack at them working out all the kinks. They even welcomed me as being the first Level IV visit to MR. It was funny. If you need more info you are welcome to PM me or post a question. I will be more than happy to respond. Enjoy your visit and God Bless!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna1975
hello all. I have a friend at Riverside and they are supposed to move to MR real soon. The CO's are telling that its a rat hole there, black mold, sewage problems, etc.. Any one know of any truth to this?
It probably was before they cleaned it up. They had been working on it for months. It was in the paper when they finished, but at that time they didn't plan on opening it and were just fixing it up so they could if they needed to. Riverside is now going to be home of the Ionia State Police Post.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:23 AM

What is a picure ticket? And another thing, I have one of those forms for visiting, I just have to mail it out and then will they let me know if I am approved and if so do they tell me when I can visit? Also I am not sure what level he is. Hopefully he will can me and I will ask. He was a drunk driver and a passenger in his car died. If that helps with what level he would be. Can I take my children and if so on the form it tells me i need to provide a birth certificate, do i need to fill out a form for each child. Sorry about these questions.. please let me know asap HEIDI
Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I love that man!

A picture ticket is purchased thru the vending machine in the waiting room. They cost $2.00 each and will get you a polariod photo. They resemble a credit card (same size, feel, etc..) My approval for visitation took around 2 weeks. I wasn't approved and they sent me my application back along with a memo stating why I was not approved. The information (reason) they supplied was false and I immediately called the ARUS that had signed the memo and spoke with him about it. Within an hour or so he called me back and said I was all set to go. So in a normal case (one thats approved right away) I'm not sure if they send you anything saying that yes you are approved or not. I guess you could always call the facility and ask if you're been approved or not. As for when you can visit that depends on the inmates level (either 2 or 4) because those days vary. But once you're approved you're good to go! If you don't know his level you can look him up on OTIS and find that out. It will be directly under his facility name. They have rules about minor children visiting. Any one under 18 will be approved only if they are a child, stepchild, or grandchild or step grandchild or the inmate, or a sibling, half sibling or step sibling of inmate or emancipated minor. The birth certificate must be presented each time they visit. I believe a visiting form needs to be filled out for each visitor, although I could be mistaken. Again, I would call the faciltiy and speak to the front desk. Hope this helps! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisp
What is a picure ticket? And another thing, I have one of those forms for visiting, I just have to mail it out and then will they let me know if I am approved and if so do they tell me when I can visit? Also I am not sure what level he is. Hopefully he will can me and I will ask. He was a drunk driver and a passenger in his car died. If that helps with what level he would be. Can I take my children and if so on the form it tells me i need to provide a birth certificate, do i need to fill out a form for each child. Sorry about these questions.. please let me know asap HEIDI
Hello Heidi!! Happy Holidays to you. As far as the visiting form, you should fill one out for each person. Each person HAS to have their own individual form. Make sure any minor children are his children, step children, sibling, or half sibling and that you have a valid birth certificate to prove it. Also, the policy now for visiting application (as of October 1st) is that you send a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) along with your visiting forms in order to receive your approval back by mail. If you don't want to do that you can call the prison and check the status of your applications. You can mail all the forms to the prison together, they don't have to be in seperate envelopes. In order to check your husbands status or find our where/what level he is you can log on to http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2.html or just click this link.
You will just have to follow the prompts and give his name, age, race, and it should show you his #, name, and where he is housed. You can click on his # and it will switch to a page with his picture and conviction/status information. You can look there to see what level he is, either II or IV.
Once you find out his level you can find our his visiting days and hours. If he is new to the system he is probably a level IV but you check on OTIS. They allow you to take pictures with your loved one if you purchase a picture ticket from the vending machine in the waiting room. Like Dianna stated they are $2. I am going up Sunday and I can let you know for sure about the picture situation. The last time I went they were not taking pictures yet. If you need any further info please let me know. I remember feeling the same way last year when first visting, so I completely understand. Have a great day!!!

Last edited by imtwoblessed; 11-23-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I love that man!

Imtwoblessed - I hope you had a great visit! Are they doing pics yet?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

Hey Dianna!! I had an absolutely wonderful visit. I got to stay for 12 hours!!! You can't get much better than that. But No, no pictures yet! I was kinda bummed by that, because me and my husband haven't taken any in a while. I you go back before me let me know if they are or not. Question do you go on Level II or Level IV days? Just wondering if I've ever seen you. You look familiar from your picture. I may have seen you at Riverside?????

Last edited by imtwoblessed; 11-27-2007 at 08:23 PM..