Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 AM
I love that man!

I talked to my guy last night. All is well there (well, as far as MR goes, haha).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 AM
love knows no boundaries

Thank you Diana!
At least not problems of this kind... But, I still have got no mail...this is a subtle kind of torture, I hate it.
So I hope that there are problems with the mailroom...our correspondence has been so nice the weeks before Christmas and now this time without any sign, it is hard to stand, fantasy always makes things worse...
Well, there is nothing I can do than wait in patience and that is not the best quality I have.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
I love that man!

It is hard when you haven't heard from them, my imagination also goes into overdrive. I know that there was some ride-outs before Christmas, have you checked OTIS just to be sure?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
love knows no boundaries

Another day without mail. It is hard to stand. Last notice I have he had written on 12-21. He used to write at least once at week, most time I got more mail. I am absolutely worried. This never has happened before. I do not think, that he has forgot me just from one day to the other, I can not believe it. There must be a reason. Three weeks without mail that is more than I can stand without activating imaginating...trouble, illness, law issues, lockdown, the hole...what a headache!
I check OTIS twice at a day...he seems still to be at MR. I hoped, that I would discover that he has been transfered (as an good explanation). But no, this does not seem to be either. Patience is needed...this is torture, mere torture to me.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I love that man!

Bear, I hope you hear from him soon! Hang in there, it seems there is always a good reason when mail isn't flowing. Could he be out of envelopes?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 AM
love knows no boundaries

Aw Diana, it is so sweet, that you are still thinking on me! Thank you!
Yes I got a sign yesterday (from his brother) that I will get mail soon. There is always a reason, but left alone without any information imagination tends to get into overdrive...not at first, but as time goes by there is a point when mind goes mad...
Anyway, my anxieties are relieved now and I am going back to plan my visit at MR. It will be at the end oft march/or frist days of april. This is exciting too. So much to decide, where to stay, which airport (Chicago or Detroit) and and and... I am wondering whether I will understand anybody...as I am only used to read and write in English... Anyhow, I guess this will be a nice adventure
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I love that man!

I'm sure the adventure will be memorable for you both. Were are you coming from?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
love knows no boundaries

Oh I will take a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Chicago or Detroit. Detroit seems to be closer and smaller. I don't know what is the better choice. Sleeping off jetlag and then perhaps going to Ionia with a rented car.
Yes this definitely will be an memorable adventure! I am looking forward to it!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

Well bear54, Detroit is definitely closer than Chicago! Chicago is about 4 1/2 hours away from Detroit. I come from Detroit to travel to MR once a week. I love about 20 minutes from the Airport and it takes me 1hour and 50 minutes to get to MR's front door (even on snow days). So coming to Detroit Metro Airport is closer. I hope you have gotten mail and that all is well with you sweetheart. You seem to be very good with your English. I'm sure you will have no problem understanding anyone. Good Luck. If you need directions or anything let me know. I know Dianna and I would be more than happy to answer. Speaking of which..... How are you doing Dianna!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I love that man!

I'm doing great thanks for asking! I'm going to MR tomorrow for my weekly visit, I can't wait!! You visit on level 4 days right?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
love knows no boundaries

sent twice...for this reason deleted by bear54...

Last edited by bear54; 01-22-2008 at 12:47 AM..
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 AM
love knows no boundaries

imtwoblessed: thank you for telling me how long does it takes to get from Detroit to MR - this way I got an impression about the distances which is really difficult to imagine from Europe. Yes, I will fly to Detroit, it definitely seems to be the better choice.
diana: as for the transfer of the money all went wrong and was sent back by the prison. German banks do not know money orders and send checks, which will not be accepted by prison burocracy. Well, to tell the truth it seemed to be somehow way to easy. If there are any German people out there who managed to transfer money to this prison, please drop me a line!

All is well with my sweetheart...he just ran out of money to pay the stamps.
I got lots of mail yesterday...in fact everything he wrote the last month

Well, two months to go until I am at the doors of MR.
Ladies, if you will notice strange rattling noises, these will be just my knees, don't bother!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I love that man!

Now at MR when they take your pictures they are doing them on the carpeted area (where the kids toys are) instead of the lower level. It was actually cold today in the VR, I was surprised!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysgirl4life
They Have romdeled Michigan Reform. My fiances Uncle used to work there as a CO Years ago. Since it sat vacant for so long, yes it became a rat trap. HOwever they have completely cleaned it out, and it was ready for the people moving from the other prison, before they got there. Just remember, Not all rumors are true..actually they rarely are!!
Actually, some of the rumors ARE true.

I was in M.R. 95-96, and it was infested with rats AND cockroaches. "They" may have remodeled it, and "cleaned" it, but I find it hard to believe they worried about getting rid of ALL the vermin when they didn´t care before. The ONLY reason they emptied it in the first place was because they were TOLD to. If the Health Dept. wouldn´t have stepped in, it would be the same ol´ run down place it was when I was there.

The M.D.O.C cares about housing bodies, not cleanliness. Opinions of former CO´s aside.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
love knows no boundaries

Default Visiting MR

Could somebody please do me the favor and explain the visiting procedure at MR to me? If have read the threads about visits, but there are some questions left:

How long does the visitor application approval take? Will I be noticed or the inmate, that the visit has been approved, or both?
Are there enough parking places?
How long does the procedure at the entrance take? Should I be there earlier? How long?
Should I better leave my watch and ring at home?
Do they want to know the car number (the plate) - should I learn it by heart?
Are there lockers for my stuff (car key, coat...) at MR?
Does the visitor waits for the inmate or is the inmate waiting? Yes, this I would really like to know!
How is the visiting aerea? Will you be seated by an officer? Are there seats with tables or seats only?
Should I bring in $ 10 in quarters for pictures and food?
Are we allowed to go to the vending machine together?
How warm is it there? Do I need something like a pullover? (March/April).
What happens when the visit is over? The whole procedure like in the beginning?
Well, I am so excited! Only 6 or 7 weeks to go - incredible!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I love that man!

Hi bear54 - the count down is on!! I'm excited for you! I'll tell you about my experiences with visiting at MR. I sent out my visitor app and received a denial in about a week or so. They stated what their reason for the denial was on a memo and sent my app back also. I immediately called the A-RUS that had signed the memo and told him that the information cethey were using for the denial was incorrect. He stated he would check on it and call me back. He actually called me back twice. The first time to tell me that there was indeed a mistake and that I was good to go and the second time to tell me that he let my boyfriend know also. The average time that I've heard is around 2 weeks. But since I was not approved at first I'm not sure how it would have went if I was. On the MDOC website it states to send a self-addressed stamped envelope and your notification will be sent to you. There has always been plenty of parking spaces and you park in the same lot as the employees. I believe the longest I've ever had to wait in the lobby is around 15 minutes, he always knows when I'm coming so he is ready. Once inside the lobby go to the front desk and there is a sign-in sheet on the counter. You fill in your name, address, license plate number, inmate name, inmate number and your relation to the inmate. The officer at the front desk will take your drivers license, give you a visitor badge and put a number on the top of one of your hands plus give you a locker key. You can then take care of your belongings (car keys, purse, coat, etc). I always use the restroom then also so I don't have to go during the visit. The change machine and a vending machine are near the lockers in the lobby. You can take $15 dollars in quarters into the visit, you can get a plastic bag from the front desk if you need one to put your change in. In the vending machine you can purchase picture tickets for $2.00 a piece. Each one will get you 1 polaroid picture. I always buy 2, one for each of us. You then wait in the lobby until you are called. The only things you are allowed to take in are your locker key, picture tickets and your bag of change. Once the officer lets you thru the first gate they will pat you down, ask if you have anything in your pockets or mouth and have you walk thru the metal detector. (You set your change and stuff on the table next to it.) I've had some officers actually reach in my pockets to feel and some that have ran their fingers all along a belt I was wearing. This doesn't happen every time but it has happened. You then take a seat and take off your shoes and socks. They check those out and ask to see the bottoms of your feet. Then you can put them back on and grab your stuff. Your drivers license will also be there with a pass paperclipped to it that you then take as well. There is another officer behind the glass and they will have you show the number written on your hand under a black light. After all that you're ready to go thru the 2nd gate. That gate will lead you to the visiting room door. Once it buzzes you may open it. You are now in the visitng room!! You walk up the stairs to the officer sitting at the desk and hand them your tickets and license with the pass attached to it. Your visitor is already in there waiting for you. I believe they are allowed to sit where they choose, unless they are told otherwise (perhaps due to bahavior). You are allowed one hug and kiss at the start of your visit. I have been recently told that this kiss is now only supposed to be a peck, no open mouth. If this is true then this is something that has just changed. The chairs are side by side and are far from comfortable. They have wooden fold up tables (TV trays) that you may use for your food/drinks. Sometimes there are not enough of these to go around. The vending machines are next to the visiting area so your visitor can see what is in them, they are not allowed to go with you to them. They have 3 machines. A pop/water machine, a snack food machine and then one with soups, salads and sandwiches in it. They also have a microwave, napkins and plasitc sivlerware to use. Contact during the visit is very limited. You can hold hands, put your arm around the shoulders but that is about it. We've been called out before because he rubbed my upper arm. The officer told him that that could cause arousal. I thought it was silly but its their rules. They will call you up when it is your turn to have your picture done. This is done on the carpeted area by the toys. You are allowed to stay the entire time and they will annouce when the visiting hour is almost done, about 5 minutes left. Upon leaving you are allowed another hug and kiss. You get your license from the officer at the desk and go down the stairs and wait for the door to buzz so you may leave. You give your pass, locker key and badge back to the front desk. I have never had a problem with my jewelery. I usually wear 2 pairs of earrings, necklace and bracelet. I've always thought the room was warm but the last 3 times I've been there its been chilly in there. You're nbt allowed to take any clothing off or add to it once your in the visiting room. Be sure to read the dress code carefully because now they don't allow you to change if you're wearing something they don't approve of. Your visit will simply be cancelled. Plus, don't wear an underwire bra. I hope I have answered all of your questions but if not, shoot out another post and I'm sure someone (or myself) will be more than glad to respond!
The Following User Says Thank You to dianna1975 For This Useful Post:
bear54 (04-22-2008)
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
love knows no boundaries

Thank you very much for answering all my questions.
Now I am waiting to be approved to visit...and I hope that I do not need to call the A-RUS...

If you like and find some time how do you think about to meet when I am in Michigan to have a coffee and talk. I will be in Mi for 12 days...in Ionia and Detroit...perhaps together with imtwoblessed ?? Would be nice.
Please feel free to pm me ... it works now.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM
love knows no boundaries

Default Mail going out slow at MR

Since they are at MR all mail is going out slow....up to 6 and even more days to Europe. And even worse, it seems that they collect all mail from the week and mail it out only once per week. At least I get only one time per week mail, but three pieces at one time (stamped at different times always).

And the prisoners get mail mixed up...some sooner, some really delayed - seems that they have not enough personell at the mailroom and that all this is the result of new saving plans.

Sad, because getting mail is so important for prisoners. I intentionally write three or more times per week, to cheer him up, that he has some fun in life, something to look forward to and this all is over now and destroyed

Does this happen to somebody else?

Last edited by bear54; 03-12-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 AM
I love that man!

Good morning everyone! I was at MR yesterday and boy was it packed! They now have another vending machine with sandwiches in it. Of course both were about empty but now there's two. The change machine is not accepting the new $5 bill. Hopefully that can be fixed sometime in the near future. I hope you all have a great day!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I love that man!

I went to MR to visit today and all visits are cancelled due to problems with the gates not working correctly. This was at 10:00 this morning. The officer said to check back with the facility in about 2 hours and see if they had been fixed. Well I called back at noon and was told that they were still being worked on. Again I called at 2:30 and was told that visits had been cancelled because of the gate issue. So if anyone is planning on visiting tomorrow (Sunday) I would call them before heading that way. The number is 616-527-2500.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
love knows no boundaries

Diana, I am sorry to hear that your attempt to visit was in vain due to the gate problems...
Sigh: I wish I could go to visit more often... it is really hard to be that far away...
Anyway, I hope that the gates will be fixed soon and everybody can go to meet their loved ones at MR.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I love that man!

I went to visit yesterday (Tuesday) and this time I called ahead to make sure the visits were still a-go. The gates were fixed and everything was running as scheduled. An officer in the VR said that they already have the AC on. It didn't feel like it to me but the overhead venting system was humming along as if it was running, so who knows. They had the fans on as well.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I love that man!

I went to MR to visit yesterday and noticed that is a picture drawn in pencil on the wall where pics are taken. Looks like a mural (sp?) is finally going to be done.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I love that man!

I was at MR yesterday and the AC was working quite well, my toes were cold!! The facility lost power about 5 different times. I think the longest it stayed off was for about 5 minutes. It was also the longest wait I've ever had out in the lobby, which was miserable, it was full of misquitoes. I arrived at 2:10 and the front desk CO stated that she would start processing the visits at 2:30 because of shift change. At 2:30 she took our ID's and issued us locker keys. It was 3:00 before I was in the VR, which also had misquitoes. Other than that the visit was great.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I love that man!

Default Finally

The reformatory has started taking pics with a digital camera as of Tuesday! I didn't catch if they were still $2.00 or not.