Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Praying Prison Wife
Donation Award 

Took 2 digitial pics Thursday!!! They are much nicer and clearer and easier to copy!! And yes they are still $2.00, which is the good thing!! They had the AC blastin and the fans on and it was only 70 degrees outside so most of the visitors were freezing! I sat under the duct so I was pretty neutral. I see they have all the "newbies" over the visiting room now. They training COs have green name tags. There is one that looks just like Tiger Woods!! They are pretty quiet and don't complain about too much. But all is well at MR. I'll be there Thurs.

Last edited by imtwoblessed; 09-28-2008 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: left out info
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I love that man!

I was there last Tuesday and yesterday. When we took our pic on Saturday the date was displayed in the corner of the picture and they had a background that someone had painted on a canvas to stand in front of. I did notice that the VR seemed to be taken over by green-tags, they look so young!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I love that man!

Default money orders

I called the mail room at the Reformatory today and asked if they were keeping the money orders still or forwarding them to Saginaw/Freeland like some other facilities have already begun to do. The woman told me that they are still keeping and posting them to the inmates account there at the Reformatory.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I love that man!

Default visiting hours on state recognized holidays

Hi everyone. A female CO at MR was kind enough to print off a list of the state recognized holidays for the rest of this year as well as next year. Here is the information:

Hours: 0830-1030 Segregation
1100-1500 Level II
1530-2100 Level IV

State Holidays and Dates:
Thanksgiving Day 11/27/08
Day After Thanksgiving 11/28/08
Christmas Eve 12/24/08
Christmas 12/25/08
New Years Eve 12/31/08
New Years Day 1/1/09
MLK Day 1/19/09
Presidents Day 2/16/09
Memorial Day 5/25/09
Independence Day 7/03/09
Labor Day 9/07/09
Veterans Day 11/11/09
Thanksgiving Day 11/26/09
Day After Thanksgiving 11/27/09
Christmas Eve 12/24/09
Christmas 12/25/09
Old 11-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I love that man!

Default pics

Today when we were getting our pics done the CO said they were giving 2 pics per ticket. I asked him when that started since I was just there Tuesday and we only got one, he said "I don't know. I just do the book." So hopefully that is how they are going to do it from now on. It really stinks that they changed the holiday visiting hours for the level II from 10:30 to 11:00, which is count time. No one was in the VR until 11:50, so we got 3 hours to visit

Last edited by dianna1975; 11-27-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 AM

not sure since we are in pine river but since i've been going there it has beeng digital pics. and with those we get a choice..either 2 2x3 pics or 1 4x6 print. we usually go with the 2 2x3 so he gets a copy and i get a copy.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I love that man!

I got to visit Thursday, Friday and Saturday. All 3 days we were given 2 pics per ticket, so hopefully this is a change. On Saturday tho, we were asked if we still wanted the pics done because they were going to be in black and white. The camera guy said they have been going thru so much blue ink because of the background. We still had them done.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
love knows no boundaries

You went on Thursday, Friday and Saturday? I always thought visiting days were only on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? Am I wrong (I would love to be wrong!).

However - a Happy New Year to everybody!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I love that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear54 View Post
You went on Thursday, Friday and Saturday? I always thought visiting days were only on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? Am I wrong (I would love to be wrong!).

However - a Happy New Year to everybody!
You're correct Bear, the visiting days haven't changed. I was able to visit on Friday because it was a state recognized holiday. Both levels have visiting times on certain holidays. The Friday after Thanksgiving is considered one of those days. Level II visiting on a holiday is from 11:00am-3:00pm, which really sucks because count is at 11 also so they don't start processing any visits until count is cleared, usually 11:45 or so. When MR first opened they started holiday visiting at 10:30 which made more sense but they have since changed that.

The only other things that are different since your last visit is that now you get 2 pictures per picture ticket instead of only one plus they are digital now. A colored canvas background is now available. And they just repainted part of it (the sky) because they were using too much blue ink.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and take care!!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I love that man!

They finally have something else for the fella's to do. The program department at MR now offers Playstation, I think I heard XBOX as well. I bet this makes the guards happy.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I love that man!

Well everyone, our time at MR is coming to pass. Tony was told to pack up today and he's headed out in the morning. Take care of yourselves!!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:51 AM
love knows no boundaries

Bye Diana - and thank you for all the usefull information you put to this thread all the time! We are lost without you!
We will see how things work out and who else will be transferred too. Maybe I will not go to Ionia in March also...who knows?
Does anybody knows where all the guys from Deerfield are going to be transferred? MR is way too overcrowded.
Mail is coming really slow - it seems that they are often collecting mail for several days and sending it out only once or twice per week - which is very hard for me. I always get mails in bundles, three or four letters at one day...and then for long time nothing.

However - good luck Diana - we will miss you here!

Last edited by bear54; 02-18-2009 at 12:54 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Default Level 4 priviledges

A person I know is a Level 4 and from what I've read he should pretty much be in lock down but I get letters from him talking about the classes he teaches?? He is very manipulating and I'm just wondering what was going on.

Does anyone know what it's really like to be a level 4?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Mom of 2 sons in Prison
Donation Award 

Question Over crowded?

I have heard that there have been a few on level 4 that have gone back in front of the newly appointed parole board and that their parole has been re-looked at? Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 PM
K's Q

Default New to Michigan Reformatory

Hello Everyone,

My fiance was recently transferred to Michigan Reformatory and I made my first journey there to see him yesterday.

This prison is truly different from the ones that we've previously been in.

The guards were pretty nice and very cordial to both he and I. They don't seem to be uptight and in your face like some other places.

They had a large variety of food to choose from although they are lacking in trays for you to put your food on (we wound up using a chair to place his stuff on until he was ready to eat it.

The visiting room is very small, only holds 40 people at a time.

If anyone would like information on this facility just let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you.
daizey650 (07-29-2009)
Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaa View Post
Hello Everyone,

My fiance was recently transferred to Michigan Reformatory and I made my first journey there to see him yesterday.

This prison is truly different from the ones that we've previously been in.

The guards were pretty nice and very cordial to both he and I. They don't seem to be uptight and in your face like some other places.

They had a large variety of food to choose from although they are lacking in trays for you to put your food on (we wound up using a chair to place his stuff on until he was ready to eat it.

The visiting room is very small, only holds 40 people at a time.

If anyone would like information on this facility just let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Hi Yaa, I'm new here and my brother was just transferred to MR in the last few days. My mom and I are soo unfamiliar with the prison system as this is his first time in. He received 15 to 25 years. I am just so confused by all these new laws and rules and clearances for visits. I only managed to set up jpay and find this forum. Any info you can pass on to me would be so appreciated. We haven't heard from him yet but thank god for otis or we would just be completely clueless about his whereabouts. Jpay finally listed his number yesterday so I sent an email to him to let him know we know where he is as well as some money. I am so grateful to have found someone offering to give info on this facility, thank you for posting!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
K's Q

Hi Daizey650,

I just sat here and typed you a long response with all of the information and was kicked off of here.

Please let me know exactly what it is that you need to know about the facility and visiting there.

Level II visits are on Saturday from 9am - 9pm, Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30pm to 9pm. Level IV has the same hours but the opposite days. On a holiday, the visits are split. Level II has the first half of the day and Level IV has the latter half of the day. They get 7 visits per month, but only 2 can be used on the weekend. I try to space my Saturday visits out and throw in a weekday visit in from time to time.

You can only take in $15 per person on a visit . Picture tickets can be purchased from the vending machine in the waiting room for $3.50 each prior to your visiting him. So, if you visit alone you can only take $15 in with you. If you and your mother go together, you can take in as much as $30. If you take pictures, you will get a double set of 5x7 photos, so you will have a copy and can leave one with your brother.

A word on Jpay, its just as fast to send him a letter in the mail as it is to pay the cost to use Jpay. They don't get the mail any faster!!! Matter of fact, some times they get the letter that you dropped off at the post office before your letter from Jpay gets to them.

As for sending money to them Jpay is good if you want it to get to him quickly, but otherwise, you can put a stamp on the letter, send it to Freeland and give him that $6 that you paid to Jpay.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to discuss or we can continue to discuss here. I've been visiting for a few months now and can answer most of your questions concerning the visits.

Yaa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizey650 View Post
Hi Yaa, I'm new here and my brother was just transferred to MR in the last few days. My mom and I are soo unfamiliar with the prison system as this is his first time in. He received 15 to 25 years. I am just so confused by all these new laws and rules and clearances for visits. I only managed to set up jpay and find this forum. Any info you can pass on to me would be so appreciated. We haven't heard from him yet but thank god for otis or we would just be completely clueless about his whereabouts. Jpay finally listed his number yesterday so I sent an email to him to let him know we know where he is as well as some money. I am so grateful to have found someone offering to give info on this facility, thank you for posting!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Hello everyone,

My father was just shipped out to M.R. from Egeler. He is Level IV. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

Thanks!

Christina
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1424 View Post
Hello everyone,

My father was just shipped out to M.R. from Egeler. He is Level IV. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

Thanks!

Christina
Can only tell you as much as I know.Your dad can have visits on M-W-F from 2p-9p & Sun from 9-9you can buy a photo ticket in lobby for 2.50.He can have a tv with headphones,mp3 player,watch but he has to order them.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Any Body Carpooling for level 4 if so let me knw Please he just got there 3 months ago. This is my hubby. It's ok the men seem to be more relax than the women.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Ladies... Looks like a lot of questions about M.R. I can't say for sure the condition of it today but every year or so I drive by the place. I was incarcerated there for about 3 years back in 1992-1995 or thereabouts and it was, hands-down bar-none, a rat infested, cockroach infested hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmichaels View Post
Actually, some of the rumors ARE true.

I was in M.R. 95-96, and it was infested with rats AND cockroaches. "They" may have remodeled it, and "cleaned" it, but I find it hard to believe they worried about getting rid of ALL the vermin when they didn´t care before. The ONLY reason they emptied it in the first place was because they were TOLD to. If the Health Dept. wouldn´t have stepped in, it would be the same ol´ run down place it was when I was there.

The M.D.O.C cares about housing bodies, not cleanliness. Opinions of former CO´s aside.
I'm not sure who runs the place today, but above and beyond what's said above by Erin, the hardest thing to deal with at MR was the corruption of the staff. There were two sides to the staff. You had Warden Pamela Withrow and Inspector Kowalowicz (sp?) and a group of CO's that were tight with each other. Then there was another group of administrators and CO's that wouldn't buy into their corruption, almost infighting within the prison staff members. The Withrow-Kowalowicz team would hook anyone up, (including guards) who were a squeaky wheel... so-to-say. I witnessed a lot of crap in this prison and most of it coming from it's corrupt staff members, not the inmates.

The place was dirty. I spent my first 6 months or so in what's called 'The Graves' which is pretty much under and beside the Annex or the main building. No hot water, showers twice a week, bugs and cockroaches almost as big as a hand.

Finally making it into population I was housed on the 4th floor of J building. Pretty much, to describe it was a catwalk along the outside wall with windows broken out with birds flying in and out at their leisure. I believe there were 54 cells back to back facing the outside wall with a space in the middle for plumbing. So each floor contained roughly 108 inmates and there were 5 floors including basement. So basically, on the floor you were housed on, there were 54 single inmate cells all in single row down to the end. When doors would break in the morning before chow, I cannot tell you how many times I would see an attack or stabbing. Think about it, 54 inmates stepping out of their cells all at once with the CO at one end of catwalk and no way to see all the way back to cells 40-54, not to mention, they'd break the lights out down there. Wow the memories brought up by this search for Michigan Reformatory.

LOL, I don't mean to alarm you all but MR is the oldest populated prison in the State of Michigan. Back when I was there MR was rightfully called, "Gladiator School". The reason it was called that was because it was a prison for lifers, generally under the age of 25 or it housed older inmates, (not many) that had locked up or needed moved from Jackson or other level 4 facilities. Or in another case, if you moved to level 4 but weren't doing 'all day', you could get sent to 'Gladiator School'. So in the early to mid 90's, you had a walled prison, populated with inmates that were 25 and under doing one, two, three, life sentences or more with absolutely nothing but time to lose. Hence the name Gladiator School.

I did at least 3 years there in general population and it was almost a year in the graves. In the 10 years total I did within the Michigan Prison System, Michigan Reformatory was the worst. Funny thing, while the inmates were bad, the staff is what made the prison worse yet and the corruption within. I vividly remember my time there, staff names and inmate names I was involved with. It was a time I'll never forget.

The main thing I remember is that the staff was crooked as they come. I remember the Chaplin was bringing in contraband for certain inmates and there was some drug trafficking going on as well.

LOL. The reason I found this forum is because I was considering writing a book and website about Michigan Reformatory. Seen your questions so I thought I'd chime in and hopefully help you all to understand the place as I knew it back in the days.

I do remember that they were going to film a motion picture there or maybe it was a music video. Either way it's old. I believe that prison was built in the late 1870's as the State House of Correction at Ionia and was populated shortly after... all stuff I'm going to have to know to write a book about it.

Anyway, my advice for you loved ones in there is to just not give into the fear of it all. When the CO's brought me from the hole at one prison to MR, they told me I had better lock up in protective custody as soon as I'm released into population or even before. There's a fear factor there and when it all boils down to it, it's a tough prison. My advice is don't get involved in any of the crap. Don't join the gangs and clicks, don't gamble... just stand tall and stand alone. Fear alone is what hurts most people entering into a prison such as MR. Funny thing is that most all the other inmates have shared or share the same fear as your loved ones.

I'd also like to add that one thing that I learned after doing 10 years in Michigan Prisons is that there is good in all people, even the hardest of criminals, there is something inherently good in them and it's usually noticeable only to the extent that they notice it themselves. That's not to say there's a lot of hustlers in there.

A word to the wise... I've seen a lot of nice women, (usually overweight women) get taken to the cleaners by inmates that talk a good game. It starts out with hooking up, then visits, then money into the account, then gambling debts and the entire time, they're inside calling you a good thing and the sad truth is, most will use you til the get out and then they're gone. Or they use multiple women in the same fashion. Some of the greatest con artist and scams come from inside the walls of prison, so ladies, be very careful not to get swooped off your feet by game.

Anyway, hope this information helped some of you. I'm a new member here and probably not going to be all that active as I have moved on in life to much bigger and better things and have been out of prison since 1996 and loving it. Went into a camp with a couple years and caught some cases inside which threw me under the three-strikes-your-out bus and overturned it with the Rodriguez case and maxed out in 96. Best of luck to all of you and all the best to you with loved ones behind those walls. When you finally get out, get the heck away from the influences that helped put you in there.

Last edited by Jarred; 03-23-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Changed dates on prison build
Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM

I literally got teary-eyed while reading this...My dad did 5 months in MRI and never once told me how bad it really was. I guess he didn't want to worry me. To imagine him in a place like that makes me sick. He has since been moved to Coldwater - which he said is a 4 star hotel compaired to MRI.

True story...A week before is shipped out he told me there was a man who had 4 seizures one night. The only way anyone heard him was because he would fall and thrash his body against the bars - the person next to him would then scream to the CO's. After the second seizure they didn't bother coming to help him. My father (who is not well) feared that he would have a heart attack there in that cell and no one would be there to help. He was scared to die there like some caged animal. One week later he was moved. THANK GOD!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 AM

Jarred -
I'm CRUSHED by this portion of your post:

A word to the wise... I've seen a lot of nice women, (usually overweight women) get taken to the cleaners by inmates that talk a good game. It starts out with hooking up, then visits, then money into the account, then gambling debts and the entire time, they're inside calling you a good thing and the sad truth is, most will use you til the get out and then they're gone. Or they use multiple women in the same fashion. Some of the greatest con artist and scams come from inside the walls of prison, so ladies, be very careful not to get swooped off your feet by game.

Not to be naive or combat the claim. It just breaks my heart when good people are taken advantage of - especially people with low self-esteem (I assume that's what you meant by overweight women). As if they don't have a hard enough time as it is!! BOOOO!

Committed to Josh's Commutation!!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Smile A Specal Guy (Reg)

Reg, you are a wonderful person. It so true that bad things happen to good people. Just believe that "WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE".
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM

So is this place the same way since it opened in 2007? My baby daddy is a level two and just got moved there well we are waiting to hear about his parole violation hearing, Now from reading this im really worried. I have sent him some JPay and letters but I have gotten no response so far either way