Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region II Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Bellamy Creek CF, Boyer Road CF, Camp Branch, Carson City CF, Deerfield CF, Earnest C Brooks CF, Florence Crane CF, Ionia CF, Lakeland CF, Michigan Reformatory, Mid-Michigan CF, Muskegon CF, Pine River CF, Richard A Handlon CF, Riverside CF, St Louis CF, West Shoreline CF

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Default Lakeland Correctional guard abuses inmate

Hardly ever post anything but now I need some legal advice. i guess at least that what I'm thinking now.
The man I write, got abused yesterday by a guard in LCF.
This guard is known to have been brutal before even with other inmates.
My brother from another mother was asked for his ID, he provided the ID used in LFC. This guard started harassing him by twisting his arm and unnecessarily
pulling his sweat pants up and grabbing his nuts. My brother still after almost 24 hrs is still hurting. People on the yard saw the incident, the trainee the guard was with didn't know what to do besides look away.
Can my brother do something with out getting punished????
He likes it in LCF
Is there anything that I can do for him, besides sitting on my hands and hope for the best??
The guard was a young man and my brother can be called elderly.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,799 Posts

The only thing he can do is write a grievance. And if he wanted you to he could have you call and co.olain to the wardens office but this would probably result in him getting moved. He needs to remember the day and time so the cameras can be viewed.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanked 2,765 Times in 958 Posts

Has he made an appt with medical?

He has to decide if the consequences of reporting this are worth it. It's going to be his word against the guard.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanked 3,990 Times in 1,743 Posts

In cases like this it's very important that the inmate makes the right moves, not the person on the outside. The prison doesn't care at all about a friend calling in.

He needs to make an appointment with medical, file a grievance, get witness statements from those who saw this incident and those who have been abused by this staff member, etc. BUT he has to be sure that he's willing to deal with possible retaliation from the guard which could put him in more danger. IF he is going to go through with it he needs to do absolutely EVERYTHING in writing. Word of mouth gets you nowhere.

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 04-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
AndyS (04-26-2017), fiat_nox (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Well here in michigan that may be different because I've gotten more done for my husband by calling the wardens office then he's been able to do in there. But like I said if he reports it which I think he should he will more then likely get moved. Have lots of cameras and they don't take that very lightly

Last edited by nygirl17; 04-26-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Thanked 3,990 Times in 1,743 Posts

I personally wouldn't call anyone. You can't prove a phone call. If you were going to contact administration yourself I'd recommend emailing so you have written proof, admissible in court if need be. I ran prison outreach all over the country for years and in some instances we would step in and push from the outside, but only after the ball was rolling from the inmates and they weren't getting anywhere.

I'm of the opinion that they are the ones living it. They have the proper forms and chain of command and that needs to be followed first. It gives the inmate more credibility if they are fighting for their rights as well. Also, people pushing from the outside can cause a whole lot more lashback to the inmate. In this case I would be very wary since he's already been mistreated once.

Of course I would never recommend an inmate retaliate violently towards staff but it makes me wonder what security level this is on? It may be a geographical difference but there are very few places in the south/west (Cali, AZ, TX, NM) that other inmates would stand idly by and let that happen...there's always a long timer that doesn't mind getting more time with what they consider honour.
fiat_nox (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Well I've been doing this for a long time. They don't take emails. There are lots of numbers you can call for the higher ups and I have them if you need them Raf. But again I said if he wanted you to you could makes some calls and complain. I've gotten help several times and as a matter of fact just a few days ago my husband had an issue and within five minutes the warden himself was talking to my husband. Pm me.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 AM

I will try to answer you all in this post,thanks for the input anyway.
He is on level 2.
I'm going to do nothing until it is clear what he wants. What he wants is what counts, he is scared they will move him out, LCF seems a better place than many of the places he has been. So I understand he wants to stay but on the other hand now this guard assumes he can et away with what he did doesn't that mean if my brother don't speak he will be retaliated on because the guard has learned he can do as he pleases?
I'm scared brother will snap and lash out. He is a master in the martial arts so he knows how to kill without making a mess. He sounded like he was at the end of his rope, I know him for quit sometime now and I never heard him like this.
I agree he is the one living this life but just to let him fend for himself doesn't feel right.
Making a medical appointment might seem right but the way he explained me the medical staff works it will take at least a month before he can see a doctor. So far for medical prove. They protect the wrong.
NYGirl17 I will pm you.
Andy you might be right I will see what he wants.