Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,695 Times in 7,690 Posts

According to what was posted below, it's a temporary regulation. So that's interesting.

Perhaps Sac requested that each warden make their own decision and that the majority found it easier to ban them.

MAC reps are inmates on each yard who meet with facility staff and discuss issues. Sort of like the IFC, but for inmates. I'll be honest...I've been told and forget what MAC stands for.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (07-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Thanked 1,439 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
According to what was posted below, it's a temporary regulation. So that's interesting.

Perhaps Sac requested that each warden make their own decision and that the majority found it easier to ban them.

MAC reps are inmates on each yard who meet with facility staff and discuss issues. Sort of like the IFC, but for inmates. I'll be honest...I've been told and forget what MAC stands for.
Fingers crossed and I hope it is temporary. I like using Amazon. Gail from the mailroom was helpful enough, she just didn't know details. Only what was on Warden memo.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
I got through to the mailroom at Soledad today. She told me that they received a memo regarding Amazon from the Warden. I asked when? She said, it was new, just a few weeks ago.

Memo said that because Amazon is a 3rd party vendor they cannot receive books from them anymore. She was not sure if this was permanent policy or temporary.

I asked, since memo is from your Warden is this a prison by prison policy or is it a CDCR wide policy? Unfortunately she did not know.

She said that inmates were supposed to be notified. We all know how well that works. She also said inmates can ask their MAC(?) rep who can provide details. Whatever a MAC rep is...
My husband sent me a paper they passed out in his building stating it was statewide. I do remember it sounding like it would be temporary, but we all know how that goes.

A MAC rep is a "men advisory council".. the easiest way I can think of explaining it is... it's like an IFC member but for inmates. Each race has one and they go and speak on behalf of inmates as a whole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trueblue310 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (07-05-2017), miamac (07-05-2017), sidewalker (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,505 Times in 15,248 Posts

Well it would make more sense to post something on the cdcr page regarding any changes to what you can and cannot mail to an inmate. After all, most inmates are not ordering off Amazon. sheesh.

When I first had to know some of this stuff...the ONLY place I found info about what could be mailed came from right here.

Again, the cdcr website is so very unhelpful. Even the visitors guide does not seem to make clear that each prison can add *rules* (think clothing colors etc....)

This information should NOT be that hard to access.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (07-06-2017), miamac (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Here it is, from the CDCR site (someone else pasted the text from here earlier):

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Ombuds/Arrival.html

Definitely NOT easy to find! Sheesh...

What I'm trying to figure out is if it's OK to order used books from Amazon's site if they're shipped from a different reseller... I don't think Amazon shows up on the mailing label or invoice, but I want to be sure... we're talking expensive textbooks here.

UPDATE: Just talked to one of the vendors, and their paperwork does say it was ordered through Amazon, so it looks like no go.

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

Last edited by qwerty; 07-06-2017 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: update
The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-08-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM

So where do we find out who the "approved vendors" are? I was just getting ready to order a few on Amazon.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Here it is, from the CDCR site (someone else pasted the text from here earlier):

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Ombuds/Arrival.html

Definitely NOT easy to find! Sheesh...

What I'm trying to figure out is if it's OK to order used books from Amazon's site if they're shipped from a different reseller... I don't think Amazon shows up on the mailing label or invoice, but I want to be sure... we're talking expensive textbooks here.
"Please note that Amazon is no longer a departmentally approved vendor for books. If you are having a book sent in from a college or some other non-traditional book distributor, please check with the prison first."

I actually thought that's what they intended to ban-- the used book sellers are the third party here, not Amazon. They claimed that the used book sellers could introduce contraband because, let's face it, anyone can become a bookseller via Amazon. I could throw some books up there and ship them to people I know as a "seller". So that I can understand. But Amazon ships from a warehouse and can provide a packing slip if requested.

I honestly think someone without a good understanding of how Amazon works made this decision because it makes no sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (07-06-2017), sidewalker (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Aaand the official memo. It does say temporary and "notification to Publisher" (which means Amazon?).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Temporary-Suspension-of-Amazon-Services.pdf (1.31 MB, 9 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (07-07-2017), sidewalker (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
I got through to the mailroom at Soledad today. She told me that they received a memo regarding Amazon from the Warden. I asked when? She said, it was new, just a few weeks ago.

Memo said that because Amazon is a 3rd party vendor they cannot receive books from them anymore. She was not sure if this was permanent policy or temporary.

I asked, since memo is from your Warden is this a prison by prison policy or is it a CDCR wide policy? Unfortunately she did not know.

She said that inmates were supposed to be notified. We all know how well that works. She also said inmates can ask their MAC(?) rep who can provide details. Whatever a MAC rep is...
*MAC (Men's Advisory Committee) consists of inmates.
The Following User Says Thank You to LWOPWIFE For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:34 AM

Oh No! What a *** It is so difficult to find a vendor where i can pay without a creditcard from Germany, Amazon was so usefull.
I hope really that this is temporary. We just figured out that i can send things via Amazon.de ... gosh. What a ***
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosalinde For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:29 AM

Donation Award 

What I wonder is..........did someone actually get something thru this way?
Or is it someones' vivid imagination of doing so.

There are precious few vendors these days.
(and how are you going to slip a cell phone or weapon inside a freaking magazine. I guess I dont have a very good imagination, nor the will to do something like that)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Oh wow!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,280 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
What I wonder is..........did someone actually get something thru this way?
Or is it someones' vivid imagination of doing so.

There are precious few vendors these days.
(and how are you going to slip a cell phone or weapon inside a freaking magazine. I guess I dont have a very good imagination, nor the will to do something like that)

That's exactly what happened!

I've been reading up on the postings, and I was going to post but time was getting away from me (summer activities). One of the groups I belong to posted about it weeks and weeks ago. Contraband was introduced through an Amazon shipment, at one of the prisons. Which facility/prison is unknown that was not said or shared.
miamac (07-08-2017), sidewalker (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:38 PM

I'm assuming drugs, not weapons. But it still would be nice to only ban 3rd parties, and not the Amazon warehouses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-08-2017), sidewalker (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Jesus loves them

Angry No more amazon orders!!

I've been hearing some that some prisons no longer allow Amazon book orders to be mailed to prisoners. I couldn't believe it, and wanted to know if it was true. I talked to my son today at Avenal, and he said it's true. They were told 2 days ago, at least for now, no more Amazon book orders. That's not just USED books, or books from private parties, bot NO AMAZON at all! This is just crazy! Seems to me that they could still allow Amazon warehouse, new or used, but no, the rule, at least for now is NO AMAZON!

Seems to me that shis should be a "sticky" post, but I have no idea how to do that.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Thanked 1,439 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Aaand the official memo. It does say temporary and "notification to Publisher" (which means Amazon?).
Just read this, thanks. Explains what happened. This memo gives mailroom too many options of sending item to an address provided by inmate, return to sender, donate to charity, donate to the institution, destroy / dispose of item.

Returning to the Amazon vendor, like they apparently did with my son, was a valid option. Unfortunately triggered the vendor to send a replacement set of books right back to the prison. And send an email apology to me. It's bound to happen to others.

We all know now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-11-2017), sidewalker (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Donation Award 

**Seems to me that shis should be a "sticky" post, but I have no idea how to do that.***

Members cannot make a sticky, a moderator has to do it.
I was holding off until we could verify that in fact, CA prisons are indeed taking Amazon off the approved vendors lists. At least Temporarily.
I'll probably UNSTICK it if they reverse that decision.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (07-09-2017), welovejehovah (07-09-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:21 AM

Default Amazon what why and when

I've been aware of the prison's Amazon changes since mid- June. I am remiss for waiting until July 1st to post this, I'm very sorry.

The 2 inmates I correspond with in Soledad's SVSP said the state told them the first week in June, but that they knew this was pending before then. Sure enough, I read back and my son's letter suggested that this was in the wind and to change to one of the following:

Abebooks
Barnes and Noble
Thriftbooks
Usedbooks

All are available online

( It seemed to me that all the book peddlers were going to 3rd party sellers. Those mom and pop bookstores that collect dust since we all went to online books need the business. )

As for by GValliant. I applaud your efforts since I can get no answer on any calls I place to that facility. I'd rather given up ringing them at all. Excellent work

Originally Posted by gvalliant
I got through to the mailroom at Soledad today. She told me that they received a memo regarding Amazon from the Warden. I asked when? She said it was new, just a few weeks ago.

Well, I'd gotten complacent letting Amazon Prime do the shipping for me. I'll be flexible about change and all. I've had good luck though - > On June 26th, Free State Books shipped a book on Stalin through my Amazon order . It was delivered to SVSP and accepted. I just got his postcard thanking me.
I am quick on shipping off books but slower on quarterly stuff much to my son's dismay at times 'smiles

Be nurturing to yourselves and take credit tonight for how much you care/ do/ are.
- Another
The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherMother For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-11-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:42 PM

This is good to know as I have been creating Amazon wish lists for my brother to send me books in August when I surrender. Guess I'll have to sign up for a Barnes and Noble account?
The Following User Says Thank You to Standbyme626 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbyme626 View Post
This is good to know as I have been creating Amazon wish lists for my brother to send me books in August when I surrender. Guess I'll have to sign up for a Barnes and Noble account?
Yes, that appears to be the case. As far as I know the ban is still on. You might want to direct your brother to PTO and the Cali forums so we can assist him if needed. This is supposed to be temporary, but no indication on how long temporary is.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Standbyme626 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-30-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Amazon is back on for CDCR facilities.

See the memo here.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (08-19-2017), kz_cali (09-16-2017), lulupine (08-21-2017), maytayah (10-04-2017), mxpyacymmzy (10-30-2017), qwerty (08-21-2017), sidewalker (08-23-2017), Tricksie2645 (08-30-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Jesus loves them

Default Amazon used book orders

We were told some months back that due to the risk of someone sneeking something in a book from a private party, Amazon was no longer an allowed vender (of ANY books). I called today 10-10-17, ant was told by the mailroom clerk at Avanal that that ban was lifted. Amazon is again an approved vendor, but the books (new or used) must be shipped from the Amazon warehouse, not a private party.
The Following User Says Thank You to welovejehovah For This Useful Post:
mxpyacymmzy (10-30-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Is it ok I buy stamps send to the prison through Amazon?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 PM
No Matter what

Default Approved vendors for CDCR

Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask. Does any one know if we can order books they amazon? At one point amazon book orders were suspended, does any one know If they are allowed again? Please advise