Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,258 Posts
Default Question re: books and calendar at HDSP?

Is there a limit on the number of paperback books we can send from Amazon? I used to send 4 at a time when he was at SCC, but he's now at HDSP and I don't know if their rules are different. I've tried calling but there aren't any options for my questions.

I'm also wondering if wall calendars are allowed to be sent in as regular mail. My son swears that it is possible if sent in a regular mailing envelope but I have my doubts. Has anyone ever done this?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,663 Times in 8,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
I'm also wondering if wall calendars are allowed to be sent in as regular mail. My son swears that it is possible if sent in a regular mailing envelope but I have my doubts. Has anyone ever done this?
You should be able to per CDCs general mail rules provided it isn't spiral bound and isn't too big ("not to exceed 12"x12" opened").

As for the books, I've never heard of a limit coming in, but rather a limit on the number they can have in their cell/locker. Mine has always been allowed 10 books at a time, so if I sent 10 he'd have to forfeit 10 old for the 10 new.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
tglsmom (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM

I've sent a 12x12 calendar direct from Amazon. No issues getting to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunkiss3d For This Useful Post:
tglsmom (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:07 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I'm going to send 3 books and a calendar from Amazon and keep my fingers crossed that they all get through!

mia - Where can I find the CDC's general mail rules? I have a copy that was sent from Folsom at the beginning of his term, but I'm wondering if the rules might have changed since then. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:57 PM

The general rules can be found in the CA Code of Regulations Title 15. Do a Google search for "California Title 15." The mail regulations are in sections 3130 through 3147. Each prison also has their own local rules. It's best to call the mail room of the prison to find out what those might be.

I can tell you from my experience that a 12x12 calendar is almost always allowed. Regarding Amazon: make sure the things you send are being purchased directly from Amazon and not from a third-party. If it arrives at the prison with anything other that the Amazon Fulfillment Services packaging, it'll get rejected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 500_Trudy For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-01-2018), tglsmom (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,663 Times in 8,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
mia - Where can I find the CDC's general mail rules? I have a copy that was sent from Folsom at the beginning of his term, but I'm wondering if the rules might have changed since then. Thank you!
I have to admit my laziness here. I receive mail from an inmate who uses indigent envelopes and they have some guidelines printed on the back. I use those as a guideline.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
tglsmom (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I have to admit my laziness here. I receive mail from an inmate who uses indigent envelopes and they have some guidelines printed on the back. I use those as a guideline.
Thatís interesting because my son occasionally uses indigent envelopes and there is nothing written on the back. I guess it depends on which prison the envelopes are coming from.

Itís too bad they donít all give some guidelines on the back as Iím sure a lot of people would find it useful especially if theyíre new to the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-30-2018)