Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Q & A Thread about the Modality Program

Does an inmate have to be on Medium custody or lower in order to enter the Modality program? Or can they be on Close custody?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
ex-offender

The custody of an inmate doesn't matter when it comes to Modality. What does matter is the length of time the person has left and the type of charge that brought him/her to prison. Some people are court ordered to participate and the rest qualify because of their histories.
Does your friend want to go to Modality?

Last edited by searchforcauses; 08-23-2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Hurry Home Baby

what is modality?

I will be loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Starting a fresh NEW life

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels wifey
what is modality?
I'm wondering the same...what is this?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM

He wants to go....but he said his psychologist or psychiatrist, whoever it is that he speaks with on a regular basis in there, said that he has to wait until his custody level gets down to Medium.

Modality is sort of like a drug-rehab program....inmates are taken away from general population and are in a dorm with only other guys who are in the program too. They have classes and groups that they go to all day, and I think it's a great thing for them in there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annat For This Useful Post:
happywithhim (05-19-2012), Jenrietta (08-15-2012), jutemoran2 (03-09-2011)
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Yes, that definitely seems like a great program...especially being around others that are trying to change their lifestyle.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Default modality program

can someone tell me about them--what they actually consist of --what the requirements are--how long they last--any info please--Thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM

My brother is currently in a Modality program in Okeechobee. He tells me it's similar to a 12 step program with random drug tests, etc. It's 6 months long.
The Following User Says Thank You to poulinsj For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Substance Abuse Programs?

Looking for any information on the "Modality One" program within system. Does anyone have anyone going through the program?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM

If the Modality One program is the Drug Program that is located in Orlando, Kissimmee, and Pompano I can give you some information. Is this what you are asking about?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagirl23 View Post
If the Modality One program is the Drug Program that is located in Orlando, Kissimmee, and Pompano I can give you some information. Is this what you are asking about?
No it is not. It is a modality one program within the system.. Mayo CI has one and I was looking for information on it for my son.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagirl23 View Post
please share any info on those programs.. it would be helpful.. thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Question Modality ii ?

Im just curious to know...
Can a person be sent to a Drug program even though his sentence were NOT drug related?
Can he refused to go? what are his choices

I spoke to the CO & she told me that they don't make that choice

I don't understand

Thank you !!!

Getting there...

Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YulyDGonzalez View Post
Im just curious to know...
Can a person be sent to a Drug program even though his sentence were NOT drug related?
Can he refused to go? what are his choices

I spoke to the CO & she told me that they don't make that choice

I don't understand

Thank you !!!
My son was in Modality 1, which was court ordered. I don't think you can refuse anything DOC decides for you. If nothing else it is an education of sort. Seems kinda crazy that his sentence was'nt drug related and they want to put him there when there are people waiting to get into these programs. Maybe when he was at the reception center they made the determination it would benefit him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mom Far Away For This Useful Post:
YulyDGonzalez (10-06-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
My baby is home !!

Thanked 1,156 Times in 993 Posts

They must have thought it would benifit him some how !!! Weird

He's Home as of 7/17/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM

My son has only been convicted of drug/dui crimes and his prison sentence was due to drug crimes... yet they didn't place him into a prison where he would get help... the State Attorney's Office even requested it in their paperwork.. as well as he attorney asked for it.. he was placed in a camp where they have nothing for drugs/addictions. He tried to get into the Bridges program, by the time all paperwork was said and done, he didn't have enough time left on his sentence. He is now waiting for a WRC, which I was told by classifications in Tally, he would be placed where they have some form of drug counseling. I just found out today, he is (and has been) on the waiting list for the Daytona WRC... I now wonder if they have any programs for him.. that is not one of the choices he put down either. He has now been waiting since Aug to be transfered to WR. I truly believe my son will never get the help he needs while in prison.. not even work release. I think DOT does what they want with whom they want. There is no regard for what the inmate my need.. such as addiction services... if they don't want a revolving door, maybe they should be placing those with the drug crimes into these centers.. not those who don't need it.. I will never understand why they do what they do...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Donation Award 

Funny you ask I was talking to my girl this weekend when we visited about this very thing. I don't know that any of this is true but from what she told me is yes they can choose anyone to go into this program. Yes he can refuse, but he will Get a DR for refusing. Again I don't know how much of this is true and holds water, Just passing on what I was told.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm NOT broken

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
My son has only been convicted of drug/dui crimes and his prison sentence was due to drug crimes... yet they didn't place him into a prison where he would get help... the State Attorney's Office even requested it in their paperwork.. as well as he attorney asked for it.. he was placed in a camp where they have nothing for drugs/addictions. He tried to get into the Bridges program, by the time all paperwork was said and done, he didn't have enough time left on his sentence. He is now waiting for a WRC, which I was told by classifications in Tally, he would be placed where they have some form of drug counseling. I just found out today, he is (and has been) on the waiting list for the Daytona WRC... I now wonder if they have any programs for him.. that is not one of the choices he put down either. He has now been waiting since Aug to be transfered to WR. I truly believe my son will never get the help he needs while in prison.. not even work release. I think DOT does what they want with whom they want. There is no regard for what the inmate my need.. such as addiction services... if they don't want a revolving door, maybe they should be placing those with the drug crimes into these centers.. not those who don't need it.. I will never understand why they do what they do...
I am totally with you on this one! Adam started getting into trouble when he was 15 yo (he has documented bipolar and ADD from age 13), and it was drug related, even then he got sent to juvi, no rehab, no mental health programs, counseling NOTHING!!
The following 2 incarcerations were drug related, he was evaluated for competency both times and found to be "fully competent". Off he went to a state prison both times, neither of which had even AA to offer some kind of help.
This last time, he was on probation and he failed 3, yes 3, UA's in a row...what did his probation officer do? Nothing for the first 2! and the third he got 20 hours of community service...I called, his family called, all but begging to violate him and put him in an inpatient rehab or mental health facilty and the response was "it's only marijuana, there are worse things he could be doing". This was a little over a month before these recent bogus charges were brought against him, that he is serving 30 years for. If they had listened, and done the right thing, Adam would have been off the streets and his "friends" would not have been able to set him up like they did. Oh, and the prison where he is now, has no programs except smoking cessation (which he did cold turkey) and I think maybe anger management.
And his grandmother has cancer, I have Lupus, which he showed at reception center Dr's statements of these diseases, and was told they would keep him as close as possible...He's 7 hours away and can't request a transfer for quite a few years.
It's sad to know there are many out there with even worse problems than ours...

"Together we are a circle, no start and no end" -Adam
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
amickeyfan-really sorry, I feel you're pain and frustration. I remember you talking about Kissimmee or Orlando, what happened? There is nothing offered at Kissimmee WRC (where my son is) that am aware of. He's been there since July and up until he got a job in Sept. the only thing they do is and clean, work around the facility and work-out. If I'm correct, church isn't even an option until you're working. I don't know anything about the Kissimmee Transistion house, that might be something to check into or Bridges of Orlando. Prior to prison my son was in a Drug Court Program (in which he violated) so violation of this program brings you back to you're original sentence. To make a long story really short, my son is in prison because I had to do everything possible as a mom to keep him alive ( if you can understand that statement) He had a public defender who was pretty useless and was sentenced to his original 59 months, which was crazy. So we hired an attorney to appeal the case,(we're not wealthy people but without an attorney we weren't getting anywhere) long story short, we won the appeal and 59 months went to 39 months. At this point we had the attorney request Drug Rehab while in prison, in turn had a signed order from the judge. Since I owed the attorney a small fortune (in my world) I had him make the phone calls to DOC to be sure he got the treatment and was not just passed over. I even arranged a phone call with my son and his attorney through his CO so everyone was on the same page. I don't know if you had an attorney in his case but if you did it might be worth the shot for him to call the CO. Unfortunately, our loved ones are just a number in the eyes of the DOC, sometimes persistence pays off. I hope everything works out for you. I know where you're coming from and I wish you the best.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Hello friends. I talk to my husband yesterday & he told me that if he refuse to go to the program he will get a DR & going to the box for a month.
He has to go, no other choice.....he's applying to see if he can go to school & get the GED, maybe that way he will not have to go to the program.
He has 16 months left, he was working at the VP in the Work Camp & he got in trouble just because somebody told him to pass an envelope to his bos, he got an AC after he was waiting for a transfer over 10 months. Now he's in the Main Unit, he got the papers stating he will be going to a Drug Program which I don't say it wouldn't help him, but he doesn't need it !!!.
It's really sad that other inmates are waiting for this program & they really need it. I can't really say that my husband didn't used drugs, because he did in the past, but his charges were NOTHING related with that.
It's crazy, they DO whatever they like, instead of helping.
It's been a crazy ride, & I can'T wait for this nightmare to END.

GOOD LUCK ALL ♣

HAVE A NICE DAY !!

Getting there...

Old 10-06-2010, 04:29 PM

we all know it's hard to fight the DOC, it's a really crummy way to look at it, but it will pass his time and he can take his GED classes in the same time frame. My son did modality and GED. Modality is in a separate dorm. (the hardest of everything is my son was 9 hours from our home) One benefit in his situation, it was the dead heat of summer and both classrooms were air conditioned so he got a little relief from the heat, even if it was just for a little while. It's still not fair for all the people waiting for help,and families struggling asking for help. But unfortunately, it is what it is. Just hang in there.
YulyDGonzalez (10-07-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Mom Far Away......
Yes, I do remember talking about my son and the program. By the time all the red tape was weeded thru, he did not have enough time left on his sentence to go to Bridges or the Transition House! I spoke to the supervisor of Classifications in Tally and he assured me (but for some strange reason, I don't believe him ) that once he gets into a WRC, they will have some classes that he can attend at night/weekends for his addictions. As of now, he is still at his work camp. He has not been moved out yet, his as of now tentative release date is 11/11. If all his gain time gets earned, his ERD will be 9/11. Going by that date, since that is the date they went by that made him not ineligable for those programs, he has 11 months left on his sentence.. not sure what they are waiting for to send him to a WRC. He put in for Orlando & Kissimmee, they placed him on Daytona's waiting list. Daytona is a small WRC, not as many beds as the others.. so needless to say, his wait will be longer. If he isn't taken by the time he has 6 months left, he will not go at all. I have lost all faith in him getting the help he needs. He has only been taken away from his drugs, he has not be taught how to stay away.... He is Bipolar, had problems taking his meds as he should, (not on any meds either while in prison), and that lead to his self medicating which is what eventually lead to his downfall and the end result, his prison sentence. He needs help, help that a prison work camp cannot provide. It was noted in all of his records about his mental illness, it was noted how severe his addictions were.. for the SAO to actually request he get help, you know it has to be bad.. and what happens, DOC gets hold of him and doesn't place him in a facility that will help him..... I fear that without some form of help, even just therapy for his BP.. he will end up in that revolving door.. and back into prison.. or dead from an overdose... He has been in out patient rehab, in patient rehab. .... they all said the same thing, until he can get his illness under control, he will end up back on drugs.. and that is what happened each time he was released from those programs. We have tried everything as parents for him.. you can lead the horse to water, but you cannot force them to drink it.. and that is where we are at now with him.. this prison sentence was our hope for him.. and this too seems to be having him fall thru the cracks....

Last edited by amickeyfan; 10-06-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Mom Far Away......
Yes, I do remember talking about my son and the program. By the time all the red tape was weeded thru, he did not have enough time left on his sentence to go to Bridges or the Transition House! I spoke to the supervisor of Classifications in Tally and he assured me (but for some strange reason, I don't believe him ) that once he gets into a WRC, they will have some classes that he can attend at night/weekends for his addictions. As of now, he is still at his work camp. He has not been moved out yet, his as of now tentative release date is 11/11. If all his gain time gets earned, his ERD will be 9/11. Going by that date, since that is the date they went by that made him not ineligable for those programs, he has 11 months left on his sentence.. not sure what they are waiting for to send him to a WRC. He put in for Orlando & Kissimmee, they placed him on Daytona's waiting list. Daytona is a small WRC, not as many beds as the others.. so needless to say, his wait will be longer. If he isn't taken by the time he has 6 months left, he will not go at all. I have lost all faith in him getting the help he needs. He has only been taken away from his drugs, he has not be taught how to stay away.... He is Bipolar, had problems taking his meds as he should, (not on any meds either while in prison), and that lead to his self medicating which is what eventually lead to his downfall and the end result, his prison sentence. He needs help, help that a prison work camp cannot provide. It was noted in all of his records about his mental illness, it was noted how severe his addictions were.. for the SAO to actually request he get help, you know it has to be bad.. and what happens, DOC gets hold of him and doesn't place him in a facility that will help him..... I fear that without some form of help, even just therapy for his BP.. he will end up in that revolving door.. and back into prison.. or dead from an overdose... He has been in out patient rehab, in patient rehab. .... they all said the same thing, until he can get his illness under control, he will end up back on drugs.. and that is what happened each time he was released from those programs. We have tried everything as parents for him.. you can lead the horse to water, but you cannot force them to drink it.. and that is where we are at now with him.. this prison sentence was our hope for him.. and this too seems to be having him fall thru the cracks....
I hear ya, you sure are right. As parents you can try and try. But in all reality the only person that can change them is themselves. We've been dealing with these issues since our son was 15, he just turned 24. He has ADD and was never prescribed medication for it, we went the psycology route.....that was a joke....later came self medication...re-hab, halfway house, drug court.. we did it all...and finally prison. So her we are, TRD 12/2010. Eagerly awaiting his homecoming, praying to God our son has the
strength to follow through, just taking one day at a time. My best wishes to you and your family
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mom Far Away For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (10-07-2010), YulyDGonzalez (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Mom Far Away......
there is still hope for WRC, my son was sent there with 6 months left on his sentence....we were getting a little edgy too!
amickeyfan (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM

My husband was moved to Work Camp today... I don't know if he will have to go to the drug program... or do his GED... this is crazy ;-)

Getting there...