Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 PM

hello....newbie here
does anyone know any info on Hardee CI, if so pls let me know
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 AM

Default my time in florida prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbroken9 View Post
hi all... i was wondering with everyone having ppl in diff FL prisons, which are better or worse than others? Im sure theyre all horrible in one way or another, it is prison after all, but are some better/worse than others?

thanks for all your input in advance
i would say florida state prison has to be on of the roughest prions that i was at. the best was bay c.i., holmes c.i. was ok. it differs on people cause i heard charlotte, gulf, taylor, and washington are aweful
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy holly For This Useful Post:
Miller's Wifey (06-07-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper48 View Post
my son is geting ready to go in he had a rerrible judge they said ther is only 2 in florida for youth offenders do you know where they are? and which one is the best
there are 2 that i know of, and 1 is brevard c.i. and it is not good at all.. the other, i believe is lancaster or hillsborough
Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luckey13 View Post
Brevard is the worst Youth Camp and F.S.P is the most horrible place in the whole state of Fl. Lost on Death Row and no way to ask for help. Bad situation.
i was at F.S.P. And you are absolutely correct about it. it is a nightmare for the people there...
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy holly For This Useful Post:
Miller's Wifey (06-07-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper48 View Post
my son is geting ready to go in he had a rerrible judge they said ther is only 2 in florida for youth offenders do you know where they are? and which one is the best
Brevard CI - almost all cells
Lancaster CI - dorms...well it's more like duplexes..... they run it like a military boot camp rather than a prison.
Lake City CF - Private prison. AC. Cells.
Indian River CI - Houses inmates 14-18. Room housing units.

Got a homie in Brevard right now and I got one who is out that did time there.

The one that's out was in 42 fights. The one that is in has been in 27 so far.

Brevard is a hell hole, believe me.

Lancaster ain't too bad....lotta PT and yelling tho.

Lake City might be bad in the future...gangs are growing there.

Indian River is Brevard Jr at times...

jit camps are terrible.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Anyone have info on Walton CI? My son was just moved there from NWFL Reception.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspigeon View Post
Anyone have info on Walton CI? My son was just moved there from NWFL Reception.
My husband has been at Walton for about a month and I've spent two weekends visiting there already. Please feel free to send me a private message with any questions that you have about Walton! Other members were helpful in orienting me to Walton before my first visit and I'd be happy to pass on the favor that was done for me by helping someone else.

Visitation is fairly nice - indoor and outdoor areas with tables. A few books and toys for the little kids. Staff are pleasant to deal with as long as you don't give them reason to not be. They've been very helpful to me in accommodating visitation by our disabled daughter (autism).

Mike says the food is the best he's encountered in his trip through the system so far, but that isn't saying much. All in all, he says he feels like he landed at a pretty decent camp after comparing notes with other guys he talks to with more experience in the system than he has. We just wish it was closer to home.
The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
dspigeon (03-10-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
One inmate I know who had been in multiple facilities in N. Florida said that Gulf Annex was the only place he didn't have access to drugs and alcohol.

So, which guards are NOT doing their job? If. contraband is in the prison, someone in authority is letting it happen. Time to clean house in all prisons.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM

With the reputation that Taylor CI Annex has, what is visitation like there? Would anyone find this a fit place to take my 5 year old grandson? Is it safe? Is there a family area? What is it like there on visitation day?

Child's mom was at Gadsden & it was quite decent for families with children---a private run facility though.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutemoran2 View Post
So, which guards are NOT doing their job? If. contraband is in the prison, someone in authority is letting it happen. Time to clean house in all prisons.
Funny you should say that...because yesterday Walton was all but locked down due to recurring sweeps in the dorms that started right at 4am and repeated multiple times during the day. All sorts of extra officers on the compound, my guy said. Then last night they came and arrested a couple people in hubby's dorm when they were done (of course he didn't see what happened elsewhere). He said it looked like they were busting up a drug operation of some sort.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
Funny you should say that...because yesterday Walton was all but locked down due to recurring sweeps in the dorms that started right at 4am and repeated multiple times during the day. All sorts of extra officers on the compound, my guy said. Then last night they came and arrested a couple people in hubby's dorm when they were done (of course he didn't see what happened elsewhere). He said it looked like they were busting up a drug operation of some sort.
Same thing happened at Taylor Annex three weeks ago. So, if they've got extra officers for an investigation, I'm thinking that they need to get better officers to keep the contraband out. You can't get enough t-paper to wipe your butt, and drugs are easy to get? Stange, huh?!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Account Closed

I assume that if they did that at Taylor Annex they probably did it at Taylor CI? My husband is at Taylor CI and will not talk about hardly anything. Certainly nothing about what goes on there or his health etc. He is so afraid of getting into trouble. Hell, 1/2 the things I talk about in my life he tells me to stop talking. I don't know how Taylor really is but by the lack of communication from my husband and me knowing the kind of man he is, I assume it is very very bad. I have only been there one time for a weekend viso and it was fine for me but on the sunday one of the guards accused my husband of trying to sneak something into viso. What in the world could I possibly want from that place. Absolutely ridiculous. Of course they didn't find anything on him. My husband keeps a low profile constantly.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
With the reputation that Taylor CI Annex has, what is visitation like there? Would anyone find this a fit place to take my 5 year old grandson? Is it safe? Is there a family area? What is it like there on visitation day?

Child's mom was at Gadsden & it was quite decent for families with children---a private run facility though.
I've been to Taylor CI Annex a few times and I think it's alright. I would not have a problem taking my children there. I also have a loved one there and he said he'd rather the kids not see him there and I can respect that. There's vending machines and the dude the works in the canteen is very sweet, so is the one that takes pictures. The CO's that I have seen are very pleasant. There are some books and games for kids. I wish I you could take your own, but atleast it's something. I do not mind being there at all. PM me if you have any questions I will answer the best I can.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
Brevard CI - almost all cells
Lancaster CI - dorms...well it's more like duplexes..... they run it like a military boot camp rather than a prison.
Lake City CF - Private prison. AC. Cells.
Indian River CI - Houses inmates 14-18. Room housing units.

Got a homie in Brevard right now and I got one who is out that did time there.

The one that's out was in 42 fights. The one that is in has been in 27 so far.

Brevard is a hell hole, believe me.

Lancaster ain't too bad....lotta PT and yelling tho.

Lake City might be bad in the future...gangs are growing there.

Indian River is Brevard Jr at times...

jit camps are terrible.
that's not good at all to hear about brevard, got a homie who just got transferred over there</3
Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrietta View Post
I've been to Taylor CI Annex a few times and I think it's alright. I would not have a problem taking my children there. I also have a loved one there and he said he'd rather the kids not see him there and I can respect that. There's vending machines and the dude the works in the canteen is very sweet, so is the one that takes pictures. The CO's that I have seen are very pleasant. There are some books and games for kids. I wish I you could take your own, but atleast it's something. I do not mind being there at all. PM me if you have any questions I will answer the best I can.
Jenrietta, Thank you so much. I'd rather not take my Grandboy, but he is already having issues without daddy, won't talk on the phone to him either. He's 5, and really needs this relationship fixed before school. My son leaves this one up to me, but he really doesn't want his son there either. In the end, it's what is best for the boy?!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Jenrietta, Thank you so much. I'd rather not take my Grandboy, but he is already having issues without daddy, won't talk on the phone to him either. He's 5, and really needs this relationship fixed before school. My son leaves this one up to me, but he really doesn't want his son there either. In the end, it's what is best for the boy?!
Depending on how far you are from the facility, you might want to take the boy for an hour or 2. That would help ya'll get comfortable and knowing that it'll be quick might help too. They have UNO and other games that I've seen dad's playing with thier kids. The canteen has popcorn and ice cream. I think since they see WAAAAY more then we do, they don't want the young'uns there. I just see a large room with inmates and families. If it were my childrens father I would take them for sure. Do NOT take anything with you. Take your key off your keychain and your liscense. I take about 30.00 in cash so I can get him something to eat. Anything else you'll problay have to take back to the car.
Good luck!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrietta View Post
Depending on how far you are from the facility, you might want to take the boy for an hour or 2. That would help ya'll get comfortable and knowing that it'll be quick might help too. They have UNO and other games that I've seen dad's playing with thier kids. The canteen has popcorn and ice cream. I think since they see WAAAAY more then we do, they don't want the young'uns there. I just see a large room with inmates and families. If it were my childrens father I would take them for sure. Do NOT take anything with you. Take your key off your keychain and your liscense. I take about 30.00 in cash so I can get him something to eat. Anything else you'll problay have to take back to the car.
Good luck!!!
Thanks again, Jen. Actually, it's several hours from Lakeland to Perry. We are heading to SC in about three weeks, so thought I'd make the visit on the way.
Is the area for children away from the more adult area? It's a very long story, but we had been to Gadsden to visit "mama" when the "kiddo" was about 2 & it was so nice in the children's area, (small playground, picnic tables & play room.) It was quiet & calm. I guess that I'm hoping for something like it.
So, yes, we know the rules as to what's allowed etc. Part of me just wants to hug my boy! It's been almost 5 years, as he had removed himself from the family---knew that mom would recognize the drug signs. But, our kids always call mom when they are in trouble!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, Jen. Actually, it's several hours from Lakeland to Perry. We are heading to SC in about three weeks, so thought I'd make the visit on the way.
Is the area for children away from the more adult area? It's a very long story, but we had been to Gadsden to visit "mama" when the "kiddo" was about 2 & it was so nice in the children's area, (small playground, picnic tables & play room.) It was quiet & calm. I guess that I'm hoping for something like it.
So, yes, we know the rules as to what's allowed etc. Part of me just wants to hug my boy! It's been almost 5 years, as he had removed himself from the family---knew that mom would recognize the drug signs. But, our kids always call mom when they are in trouble!
No, it's all one big area. There is a room inside and then the outside was open too. It's a large pavillion type with picnic tables. The inside is more like a cafeteria. Everyone is in there together. I know there were lots of children ranging from newborn to 10ish, but honestly I didn't pay anyone else much attention. I noticed children excited to play cards with their daddy's and that is about it. It wasn't intimidating or anything like that. Hope you make it down there.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Hello, my son was just moved to the GULF FORESTRY CAMP, anybody with any info on this facility ???
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM

FSP was the absolute toughest prison I was ever at. Pure hell. If you even talked to an officer...that might get you in serious trouble.

Marion CI was like the Hilton when I finished my sentence in 2009. The Marion Work Camp was even better.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Livin4us!

Smile ugh

my man has just recently moved to CFRC. I,so far, don't have the warm and fuzzies. I'm thinking, if they made it to nice they would have more repeat offenders. Sorry, just try to make light of things so I don't lose my cool. So far they have lost my visitation application and it's been over a month since the last time I saw him. They have moved him from main to east then back to main then made him perm. there. Wasn't happy about it because I wanted him down south where things would be much better for him but i don't know better than God because I sure prayed on it. His classification officer doesn't seem to be on the up and up. He did wrong and has to do his time but he's still a human being and shouldn't be disrespected and lied to. He was told by correspondence from tallahassee that he was eligible now for gain time. CO told him that's not true. WTF!!! I have the president on speed dial. They just don't know. LOL! I'm keeping the little patience I have left because I don't want me calling up there to cause any ugliness on him. This is my first time at this and it's tough. But I'm with him from beginning to end. It's hard for him at times but I tell him to stay focused on the good life we will have when he's paid his price. He's a good man that made bad choices, doing his time and then we live.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyA68 View Post
I assume that if they did that at Taylor Annex they probably did it at Taylor CI? My husband is at Taylor CI and will not talk about hardly anything. Certainly nothing about what goes on there or his health etc. He is so afraid of getting into trouble. Hell, 1/2 the things I talk about in my life he tells me to stop talking. I don't know how Taylor really is but by the lack of communication from my husband and me knowing the kind of man he is, I assume it is very very bad. I have only been there one time for a weekend viso and it was fine for me but on the sunday one of the guards accused my husband of trying to sneak something into viso. What in the world could I possibly want from that place. Absolutely ridiculous. Of course they didn't find anything on him. My husband keeps a low profile constantly.
I am starting to get the same thing from my guy at Taylor CI...We had planned a big visit since I am coming in from Texas this is a big deal and wouldn't you know a week before he gets thrown in the box for supposedly "Lying to Staff" The CO accused him of giving a false name...however, the DR said nothing about that...only that the CO had asked for his cell #. He tried to prove it was an error, but we all know that is not going to fly...I guess we are grateful he only got 30 days and not the full 60 he could have gotten and I was told by the asst. warden, we "should feel lucky he got a break because they hardly ever give below the max!" Now, he is scared to talk to me about anything on the phone or through mail. He just tells me the place is bad. He said he wrote 3 letters when he first got the DR and he was mad and telling me about that place...well, those letters never made it to me. Those men live in absolute fear...even trying to do everything right and keeping a low profile sometimes is not enough. I am praying that he gets into the faith based program...although that is another thing delayed due to the DR. Thank you FLDOC! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTornado View Post
I am starting to get the same thing from my guy at Taylor CI...We had planned a big visit since I am coming in from Texas this is a big deal and wouldn't you know a week before he gets thrown in the box for supposedly "Lying to Staff" The CO accused him of giving a false name...however, the DR said nothing about that...only that the CO had asked for his cell #. He tried to prove it was an error, but we all know that is not going to fly...I guess we are grateful he only got 30 days and not the full 60 he could have gotten and I was told by the asst. warden, we "should feel lucky he got a break because they hardly ever give below the max!" Now, he is scared to talk to me about anything on the phone or through mail. He just tells me the place is bad. He said he wrote 3 letters when he first got the DR and he was mad and telling me about that place...well, those letters never made it to me. Those men live in absolute fear...even trying to do everything right and keeping a low profile sometimes is not enough. I am praying that he gets into the faith based program...although that is another thing delayed due to the DR. Thank you FLDOC! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
This man is easy to talk to, and seems to really care...
Asst. Warden Blackwood www.Blackwood.James@mail.dc.state.fl.us 850-838-4133

Thanks to this man, my son is now within 12 miles of home. Had him out of there four days after we spoke & is now investigating issues which I told him about & I honestly felt that he listened & was willing to make changes.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Account Closed

I know what you mean. My husand is also at Taylor and he won't tell me anything. He says the only time he can talk without being in fear is at viso and since I live in another state and unemployed, that is not going to happen anytime soon. He is afraid to sneeze too loud. Anytime I say anything that he doesn't like he tells me enough, stop talking. He is just trying to lay low and do his time the best he can without bringing any attention to himself. We just marked the end of our first of three years. I try to stay positive by saying that we are a 1/3rd of the way through but then I revert back to ....OMG 2 more years. I wish they would transfer him closer to his mom so that he can have more frequent visits. I've heard people say they have been transferred several times in a year but mine has been at Taylor from the begining. I can't wait for this hell to be over.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM

To many things to list that can make a camp bad or good. Its a case by case basis in most places. Like a camp with controlled movement is gonna suck for most inmates cause they are the ones locked down all day. But inmates who are assigned there to work and not for custody reasons are gonna have a totally different opinion on it.

Some camps are racist as hell and its usually not the inmates that are causing or enabling the racial problems to percist. It can all depend on timing too. Some camps that were laid back 5 years ago may not be now.

Fact is that its just as easy to be involved in violence in a prison as it is on the street. Its just the mental anxiety of "not knowing" from both sides that makes doing time so stressful. Most convicts will tell you the same. Its the mental aspect of doing time that can break you down.

YO camps are known as "gladiator schools". Thats the only way to really put it. You put together half a dozen adults who have been through YO and it becomes a comparison of scars and stories.

It all boils down to the old sayings like "dont start no shit, wont be no shit" or "be a man, you get treated like a man"..........."be humble" is another thing you will hear a lot.

If "respect" mattered in society as much as it does inside then the world would be a much better place.

For example, we all know the saying "bless you" being said after somebody sneezes? If ive heard it 100 times then 80 of them were during lockup. Most violence starts cause of the respect factor 9 times out of 10 in some way shape or form.