Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 AM

Default Loved ones are suffering in Florida prison heat

I would like to connect with all families that have loved ones in Florida prisons, so that we can band together to get air conditioning in the Florida prisons. Some of the prisons have 2 FANS for 100 prisoners!!! Please contact me. Nancy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nancyannmo For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-24-2018), Najeli (07-27-2018), ToFaswife (07-24-2018), xolady (07-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM

what can i do to help? my fiancee is in USP Coleman 1 federal prison in Coleman Florida
Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM

My LO is in a private facility (South Bay) and he is "lucky" to have air conditioning.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 PM

If I recall what my hubby said North Florida Reception Center does not have ac. He is currently at Suwannee Work Camp and they do not have it either. I think hubby said that Suwannee CI and Suwannee Annex did have it....but I am not positive.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,842 Times in 15,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToFaswife View Post
what can i do to help? my fiancee is in USP Coleman 1 federal prison in Coleman Florida

Federal & State are two totally different entities. What one does or doesn't do does not have any bearing on the other.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-24-2018), Sarianna (07-27-2018), Sunnielg (07-24-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Florida heat in prisons w/o AC

Hello all with loved ones in Florida prisons suffering from the heat. I am TRYING to work on getting air conditioning in our Florida Prisons. It worked in TX and it can work in Florida. So PLEASE contact me if you are on board with this so I can keep you updated and get assistance from you to support this well needed cause.. Nancy
Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 AM

All who are in Florida prisons - what is the temperature of the heat in your prison? PlEASE respond with the prison and the temperature. Nancy
Old 07-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyannmo View Post
Hello all with loved ones in Florida prisons suffering from the heat. I am TRYING to work on getting air conditioning in our Florida Prisons. It worked in TX and it can work in Florida. So PLEASE contact me if you are on board with this so I can keep you updated and get assistance from you to support this well needed cause.. Nancy
75% of Texas prisons don't have AC. They've been in litigation for years over putting in AC and they lost forcing them to install AC in Pack unit...but the lawsuit was for that one unit. So I'm not sure anything is working in Texas. A 7 year battle and they are forced to AC one unit. And that 7 million dollars in legal fees fall firmly on the back of taxpayers.

Quote:
All who are in Florida prisons - what is the temperature of the heat in your prison? PlEASE respond with the prison and the temperature. Nancy
I'm sorry, how to you expect inmates to report temperature? They don't supply thermometers.

I commend you for trying to make a change, I really do!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,388 Posts

Situation here is the same. It has been above 85 and humid for weeks on end. Some days the real feel temp is 107.

They have 2 fans in the dorm. Mine is adjusting making the best of it. Showers bring some relief, but not always.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Situation here is the same. It has been above 85 and humid for weeks on end. Some days the real feel temp is 107.

They have 2 fans in the dorm. Mine is adjusting making the best of it. Showers bring some relief, but not always.
Unfortunately this is the way it is across much of the south. It's been 116/118 here the last two days. Not real feel...not factoring in humidity. Plus the frequent rain we've been getting is absurd. I just got a letter from a female friend who's in a facility with swamp coolers (like almost all of AZ). But swamp coolers don't work when it's humid and even when they are working at their best they can only bring the temperature down 10 to 20 degees...so even our regular 110 is still 90 inside...if it's not humid. She says it's too uncomfortable to sleep and everyone is grumpy because it's just too hot to do anything. Thankfully she has a job in a print shop with AC, but the weekends are bad for her as she's older.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,388 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Unfortunately this is the way it is across much of the south. It's been 116/118 here the last two days. Not real feel...not factoring in humidity. Plus the frequent rain we've been getting is absurd. I just got a letter from a female friend who's in a facility with swamp coolers (like almost all of AZ). But swamp coolers don't work when it's humid and even when they are working at their best they can only bring the temperature down 10 to 20 degees...so even our regular 110 is still 90 inside...if it's not humid. She says it's too uncomfortable to sleep and everyone is grumpy because it's just too hot to do anything. Thankfully she has a job in a print shop with AC, but the weekends are bad for her as she's older.
I'm North, but feels like I live in Florida. Lol

There is not much they can be done. Mine works, but no AC anywhere for relief except visits.

Hardest part is sleeping. Not that he has slept much in the last 18 months anyway

Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 PM

My hubby was moved yesterday. Not sure he will stay where he is, but for the moment he has ac.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 AM

Default Should have asked the loved ones in Florida

I should have asked the loved ones in Florida what the temperature is - that's a good indicator of how much hotter it must be in the prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
75% of Texas prisons don't have AC. They've been in litigation for years over putting in AC and they lost forcing them to install AC in Pack unit...but the lawsuit was for that one unit. So I'm not sure anything is working in Texas. A 7 year battle and they are forced to AC one unit. And that 7 million dollars in legal fees fall firmly on the back of taxpayers.

I'm sorry, how to you expect inmates to report temperature? They don't supply thermometers.

I commend you for trying to make a change, I really do!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,694 Posts

Well, Iím not in prison but Iím suffering as well... thereís no A/C in my flat or my work or in most of the public transportation or most of the stores/restaurants. Itís a bitch and I havenít even committed a crime...
I feel for everyone who has to suffer through this shit.
Fridyrr.Likn (07-27-2018), Sarianna (07-27-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I would like to connect with all families that have loved ones in Florida prisons, so that we can band together to get air conditioning in the Florida prisons. Some of the prisons have 2 FANS for 100 prisoners!!! Please contact me. Nancy
I would like to to do anything that would help you with this issue. I have a sort of in law by marriage, we haven't spoken in years because we rarely saw each other except at holidays. He's been in a Florida prison since around 2008? Anyways I feel for anyone without ac because I am hot most of the time even with it on. It's a travesty that they don't have air. If they provide heat up north then they need to provide cooling in the South.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Hubby and I had a conversation about this Saturday at our visit. Per him, the main unit is "climate controlled" and the work camp has only heat and fans. He is in Region II and today the temp there is 86 with a feels like of 97.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 798 Posts

That sounds about as dangerous as Texas, so you might be able to get the ACLU involved if they aren't already.
ljasso (08-13-2018)