Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM

Thanked 1,063 Times in 500 Posts

I forgot to comment that I keep hearing that many GP prisoners are being sent to Pelican Bay after a problem with Integration. Some are being sent to the SHU, and some are being sent to Level 2. I think SHU is being used as a form of "punishment" for people who would otherwise be in Ad Seg for a specified period of time. It almost happened to my loved one, who had previously been Level 1 and was sent to Ad Seg after a problem when their unit was Integrated. A planned SHU transfer was cancelled because in order to be sent there, the person being "punished" needs to have 4 or more months of SHU time left. My l.o. had a little less than that left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
First question would be: what prison was he transferred to? It seems unlikely he would have been transferred back to reception, unless there was some issue with him needing to be reclassified, but even then...I've never heard of that happening. Is it possible that he was just sent to a prison that also happens to have a reception yard, and not to reception itself?

Second question: when you say "it's like they double charged him," do you know if he had a strike prior enhancement on his sentence? That would cause his time to double and explain why he would appear to be "double-charged." What were his charges and what was he sentenced to time-wise, if you don't mind me asking?

To kind of continue on that...it makes no sense, if he was actually supposed to be getting out, why they would be moving him back to reception or only now putting him in Pelican Bay (usually you only go there if you're at a very high security level.) Has he picked up additional criminal charges while in prison that added time to his sentence?

Ultimately only he has the actual answers.

A little more information may help us provide a little more insight.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
You just made a point I was not aware of, and I would like to clarify what you were explaining. You said that if someone had a strike and received a 115, that would cause their time to double? Someone I know had two strikes before entering prison and received a 115 when a fight broke out during Integration, but had his sentence extended by one year. I hope you can explain a bit more.

I was referring to sentencing law in court. As far as I know, having a strike has nothing to do with the amount of "good time" an inmate loses if they get a 115. Completely different matters. I was trying to decipher what OP on this particular stream of thought meant by "double charged."

To be specific, this is the quote I was responding to: "Looking at his case a lot of the charges are the same thing and they all have a different sentence it’s like they double charged him on one or more offenses."

Since, generally, the public does not have access to information regarding 115 cases, my assumption is that she was referring to his court charges, not in-prison disciplinary charges.

Unless I've missed something, Three Strikes (the law that applies to sentence doubling) only applies to cases that go to court, not to in-prison disciplinary proceedings.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by missingdee; 06-10-2019 at 03:57 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-10-2019), miamac (06-10-2019), Sarianna (06-11-2019), sidewalker (06-12-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM

My son is waiting to be transfer to prison for a non violent, non serious crime... he will be going on a 3 year sentence with credit of 250 as of now...

We are sick worry of integrating to level 1 and 2 will he be in any situation with inmate coming from SNY
Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,697 Times in 7,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557679 View Post
We are sick worry of integrating to level 1 and 2 will he be in any situation with inmate coming from SNY
Has he ever been to prison before? If not, he shouldn't be worried. If he is placed on an integrated yard he'll be considered GP.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (06-12-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM

I know I'm one of the lone voices here and I'm cool with that. But I want to share something I received in the mail the other day. My husband is a Level 3 SNY, so of course we've discussed the possibility of being moved to an integrated yard as he drops points or CDC extends integration upward. Is it our favorite idea in the world? No, of course not. And we're well aware that with his history of gang affiliation this makes him a target. What allows us to sleep at night around this subject that while there have been violent and disruptive incidents, they are not the only experience.

Most of our 'friends' in prison are dropouts with long sentences. One of them was moved to CVSP about six months ago to an integrated yard. I caught a letter from him last week. From that letter:
The 50/50 thing has gone smooth, and it is surprising that it has been effective. I'm glad CDC is offering opportunities to everyone to program here because this place is sweet. Why not give everyone a chance at real change?

This was unsolicited by me and I was happy to hear that he likes it there. He's been down almost 20 years for violent crime. He's seen just about every Level 3 and 4 facility during his time. He knows the drill.

So while my heart breaks that this is something being forced and that there have been terrible incidents that CDC is happy to sweep under the rug, I'm uncomfortable allowing folks who don't know what to expect to believe that's the whole picture.

As with all things prison-- be informed, stay in touch, voice concerns, but be grounded.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (06-10-2019), marie8899 (06-10-2019), missingdee (06-11-2019), Sarianna (06-11-2019), sidewalker (06-12-2019), trueblue310 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I hope that if your loved one is repeatedly being written up for failure to integrate, that he will file a 602 and appeal it all the way through the habeas corpus level. It is unfair to keep extending sentences of people who have been peacefully doing time simply because they fear for their safety, assuming that is the case.
As far as I know he has only been written up once. But he has mentioned that some of the other guys have been written up multiple times. He thinks its only a matter of time til they come to him again. I'm pretty sure he will 602 if that was to happen. Not once has he been violent or had threatening behavior towards the integration or the staff. He has simply said he wouldn't sign the waiver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guardnangel For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-10-2019), Sarianna (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 PM

Inmates on integrated yards are not considered GP. Maybe you meant non-integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Has he ever been to prison before? If not, he shouldn't be worried. If he is placed on an integrated yard he'll be considered GP.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Inmates on integrated yards are not considered GP. Maybe you meant non-integrated.
From what I've read, you retain your GP/SNY status while on an integrated yard. Have they done away with that?
marie8899 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:52 PM

I didn't know they ever had allowed prisoners to retain their status. The way it is now is you lost your GP/SNY status, from the point of view of CDCR. They use terms like "Non-Designated Programming Facility" or "Positive Programming Facility" to refer to those who are in an Integrated facility. They try not to differentiate between former SNY or GP inmates. Many GP inmates consider those who are in an Integrated facility to be SNY, period. That is not, as far as I know, the position of CDCR.

Quote:
From what I've read, you retain your GP/SNY status while on an integrated yard. Have they done away with that?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I didn't know they ever had allowed prisoners to retain their status. The way it is now is you lost your GP/SNY status, from the point of view of CDCR. They use terms like "Non-Designated Programming Facility" or "Positive Programming Facility" to refer to those who are in an Integrated facility. They try not to differentiate between former SNY or GP inmates. Many GP inmates consider those who are in an Integrated facility to be SNY, period. That is not, as far as I know, the position of CDCR.
Ahhh, OK. I see what you're saying. Yes, I agree that from a "show your papers" standpoint, anyone going to an integrated yard is considered SNY (hence the aggressive attempts to not remain on that yard). What I meant was that if an inmate was GP before they integrated, and say they had a writeup that bumped them up a level, they would not then go to an SNY Level 3. Likewise, if a previously SNY inmate lost their level, they would not be placed on a GP 3. But yes, while they're on the integrated yard there isn't supposed to be a differential classification.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-12-2019), sidewalker (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Problem is, there are fewer and fewer non-Integrated units (GP or SNY available).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (06-13-2019), miamac (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
He was in Wasco before at Reception center only for 22 days for DUI with accident ... he's going back for a DUI with prior .. I am concern about integrated yard ... thank you for getting back to me ..
The Following User Says Thank You to 557679 For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,018 Posts

Just in case anyone has a LO at CCC - mine is on B yard and has called a couple of times; there have been at least 2 stabbings in less than two weeks according to him. One of the victims was air-lifted out of there. I haven't found any information on this in the CDCR news or elsewhere online. He thinks the yard is half-flipped and he feels (hopes) things will hopefully calm down in a few months...as this integration is still a pretty recent on that yard. He seems okay to me; sometimes it's hard to decipher exactly how worried he might be as he keeps some things from me. However, I do get a feeling that he is less stressed than what he was before going there, fearing the worst....so it seems it isn't as bad as he expected. He's good at adjusting, doesn't want trouble, wants to program. I'll post more 'news' if I hear anything helpful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-16-2019), miamac (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Yes, please keep us posted. Hopefully, things may calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Just in case anyone has a LO at CCC - mine is on B yard and has called a couple of times; there have been at least 2 stabbings in less than two weeks according to him. One of the victims was air-lifted out of there. I haven't found any information on this in the CDCR news or elsewhere online. He thinks the yard is half-flipped and he feels (hopes) things will hopefully calm down in a few months...as this integration is still a pretty recent on that yard. He seems okay to me; sometimes it's hard to decipher exactly how worried he might be as he keeps some things from me. However, I do get a feeling that he is less stressed than what he was before going there, fearing the worst....so it seems it isn't as bad as he expected. He's good at adjusting, doesn't want trouble, wants to program. I'll post more 'news' if I hear anything helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Good Afternoon:

I am new to this in a way, My son is waiting to b transfer from LA county Pitches South to Prison, we just learn about GP and SNY integration program which have me terrible worry i cant eat , cant have a moment of peace thinking about .. hes going for DUI with prior DUI with accident which our attorney told us he will be qualify lower level , he was sentence to 3 years which he has 232 credits ..... please someone help me to understand if my son will be in dangerous , how he can conduct himself to avoid problem and to come home safe i am under a lot of stress right now. my whole family is falling apart not knowing what to expect ...
Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Good Afternoon:

I am new to this in a way, My son is waiting to b transfer from LA county Pitches South to Prison, we just learn about GP and SNY integration program which have me terrible worry i cant eat , cant have a moment of peace thinking about .. hes going for DUI with prior DUI with accident which our attorney told us he will be qualify lower level , he was sentence to 3 years which he has 232 credits ..... please someone help me to understand if my son will be in dangerous , how he can conduct himself to avoid problem and to come home safe i am under a lot of stress right now. my whole family is falling apart not knowing what to expect ...
I think you're stressing yourself over something that may not even affect you, hun. He still has to go through reception which can take 4-6 months. By what you've said, that's the bulk of his time to do. Try to breathe and take one day (preferably the one directly in front of you) at a time.

In all honesty, even on a 50/50 yard at a Level 1 or 2, he's still likely to see less violence than he ever would on a 3 or 4. He's unlikely to be a target at any level. But slow down, get through county, get through reception. Then think about the next step when it comes. And if this is beginning to affect your physical and mental health, please-- speak with your GP about a referral to a therapist. There's no shame is getting support through what everyone agrees is a difficult transition.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
557679 (06-20-2019), marie8899 (06-18-2019), Sarianna (06-18-2019), sidewalker (06-18-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 03:00 AM

Yes its going down,i have my son in susanville right now and it is very ugly the Pcs are somewhat taking over they have more control over the yard they outnumbered general pop,they trying to get gp to sign over to pc and the pcs are even serving gp there food so that leaves everybody going on hunger strike of course cant trust them with your food its bad right now so rumor no its facts,MY SON SAID THEY MIGHT EVEN CHANGE HIM TO ANOTHER PRISON HOPEFULLY CLOSER DOWN SOUTH WE LIVE IN PALMDALE,HE SAID THEY WROTE HIM UP IN FIRE CAMP FOR REFUSING TO WORK ONCE THEY FOUND OUT ABOUT THEM BRINGING PCS TO FIRE CAMP THEY ENDED UP SENDING HIM AND THE REST OF THE INMATES BACK TO SUSANVILLE WHERE ALL THE YARD DRAMA WAS ALREADY ON POINT HE LOST ALL HIS PROPERTY FROM FIRE CAMP EVERYTHING SUPPOSIDLY THE PCS RAIDED AND TOOK EVERYBODYS SHIT SO HE HAS NOTHING HIS ORIGINAL SENTENCE WAS 4 YEARS HIS RELEASE DATE WAS 1-21 HE WAS DOING GOOD GOING TO SCHOOL DOING EVERYTHING HE WAS SUPPOSED TO THEN HE WENT TO FIRE CAMP AND HIS TIME DROPED DOWN TO 1-20 OR EVEN SOONER THEN ALL THIS STUFF WENT DOWN AND HE ENDED UP GETTING HIS ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE BACK THIS SHIT IS REALLY JACKED UP THEY DOING THIS YARD SHIT IS NOT DOING ANY GOOD ITS JUST MESSING UP EVERYBODY

Last edited by divinedortega; 06-20-2019 at 03:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to divinedortega For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM

I'm going to be straight up blunt, so hold on to your hat if you're easily offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedortega View Post
Yes its going down,i have my son in susanville right now and it is very ugly the Pcs are somewhat taking over they have more control over the yard they outnumbered general pop,they trying to get gp to sign over to pc and the pcs are even serving gp there food so that leaves everybody going on hunger strike of course cant trust them with your food its bad right now so rumor no its facts
Hunger strikes are serious business. They are confirmed by staff. Inmates have all consumable goods removed from their cells and they are denied commissary and food from packages. Are you telling me this is what's happening?

Quote:
,MY SON SAID THEY MIGHT EVEN CHANGE HIM TO ANOTHER PRISON HOPEFULLY CLOSER DOWN SOUTH WE LIVE IN PALMDALE,HE SAID THEY WROTE HIM UP IN FIRE CAMP FOR REFUSING TO WORK ONCE THEY FOUND OUT ABOUT THEM BRINGING PCS TO FIRE CAMP THEY ENDED UP SENDING HIM AND THE REST OF THE INMATES BACK TO SUSANVILLE WHERE ALL THE YARD DRAMA WAS ALREADY ON POINT HE LOST ALL HIS PROPERTY
So because he refused to work when they integrated, he got a write up and lost property. He was aware of CDCs infraction process before he decided to stop working. He had the opportunity to put his head down, do his job and keep his 50%. SNY (we don't have PC in Cali) didn't make that decision for him.

Quote:
,FROM FIRE CAMP EVERYTHING SUPPOSIDLY THE PCS RAIDED AND TOOK EVERYBODYS SHIT SO HE HAS NOTHING HIS ORIGINAL SENTENCE WAS 4 YEARS HIS RELEASE DATE WAS 1-21 HE WAS DOING GOOD GOING TO SCHOOL DOING EVERYTHING HE WAS SUPPOSED TO THEN HE WENT TO FIRE CAMP AND HIS TIME DROPED DOWN TO 1-20 OR EVEN SOONER THEN ALL THIS STUFF WENT DOWN AND HE ENDED UP GETTING HIS ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE BACK THIS SHIT IS REALLY JACKED UP THEY DOING THIS YARD SHIT IS NOT DOING ANY GOOD ITS JUST MESSING UP EVERYBODY
If SNY inmates took his stuff, trust me, they didn't get to keep it. All of that is logged and an inmate suddenly sprouting extra shoes and a TV is going to be noticed.

He WAS doing well and he made a decision to drop out of his program. I'm sorry, but that's not CDC or SNY. That was him making a choice. As has been said here, there are calm and functioning integrated yards. But that works when inmates decide to drop their ego and program. So no, it's not messing it up for everyone. It's messing it up for folks who don't want to program and those caught in the crossfire.
Sarianna (06-21-2019), sidewalker (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
he was in Wasco Reception for 20 days in 2015 , never been in mainline ...

as of yesterday he Disposition Status change to sp3 which i assumed will be transfer soon .....
Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM

I am sorry to hear about your son and about what has happened at Susanville. I think there are certain aspects of prison politics that are difficult, if not impossible, to discuss on a public forum. Hopefully, he will be transferred to a prison yard that is not integrated and will be able to do his time in peace.

S
Quote:
Yes its going down,i have my son in susanville right now and it is very ugly the Pcs are somewhat taking over they have more control over the yard they outnumbered general pop,they trying to get gp to sign over to pc and the pcs are even serving gp there food so that leaves everybody going on hunger strike of course cant trust them with your food its bad right now so rumor no its facts,MY SON SAID THEY MIGHT EVEN CHANGE HIM TO ANOTHER PRISON HOPEFULLY CLOSER DOWN SOUTH WE LIVE IN PALMDALE,HE SAID THEY WROTE HIM UP IN FIRE CAMP FOR REFUSING TO WORK ONCE THEY FOUND OUT ABOUT THEM BRINGING PCS TO FIRE CAMP THEY ENDED UP SENDING HIM AND THE REST OF THE INMATES BACK TO SUSANVILLE WHERE ALL THE YARD DRAMA WAS ALREADY ON POINT HE LOST ALL HIS PROPERTY FROM FIRE CAMP EVERYTHING SUPPOSIDLY THE PCS RAIDED AND TOOK EVERYBODYS SHIT SO HE HAS NOTHING HIS ORIGINAL SENTENCE WAS 4 YEARS HIS RELEASE DATE WAS 1-21 HE WAS DOING GOOD GOING TO SCHOOL DOING EVERYTHING HE WAS SUPPOSED TO THEN HE WENT TO FIRE CAMP AND HIS TIME DROPED DOWN TO 1-20 OR EVEN SOONER THEN ALL THIS STUFF WENT DOWN AND HE ENDED UP GETTING HIS ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE BACK THIS SHIT IS REALLY JACKED UP THEY DOING THIS YARD SHIT IS NOT DOING ANY GOOD ITS JUST MESSING UP EVERYBODY
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,018 Posts

Just my personal opinion of course but.... I sincerely believe that there are folks in both GP and SNY who just want to do their time, stay out of trouble and program, ride through all this....just as there are troublemakers on both sides. I don't think it's ever a good idea to generalize a specific group of people to be blamed over something...people are individuals, even in prison when it's possible... My LO has SNY history and he's definitely not raiding anyone or trying to fight the integration or guys from GP....he and I are both concerned how this will pan out but so far this time has shown us (2 x prisons during integration) that even though there's crap happening around him, he's been able to stay out of it by keeping his head down. To be honest I have told him I'll absolutely leave it up to him what to do if things get unbearable and he feels he cannot program anymore (safety reasons, life/death situation) -- but I believe if a person chooses to do so then they should be aware that consequences are to be expected. I will always share the good and bad on here that I may hear from him about this subject....but to anyone new to integration reading these posts and getting super scared because of comments like it's "going down" and thinking their LO will be killed the minute they step on to the yard....I think that's sensationalism to some degree.... It's not a peace of cake for sure and by no means do I want to discredit anyone's worry - I am concerned at times myself...but I don't think it's that black & white. Again, just my two cents & no offence to anyone

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (06-21-2019), marie8899 (06-21-2019), miamac (06-21-2019), sidewalker (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
he was in Wasco Reception for 20 days in 2015 , never been in mainline ...

as of yesterday he Disposition Status change to sp3 which i assumed will be transfer soon .....
I'm not familiar with the transfer process (as in how it appears online), but I recall that someone has mentioned that as their number changes it means they are coming up for a move.

I wish I could hug you tight. I truly think that everything will work out for you and your son. As I said, he'll go to reception again and that's where he'll be for some time. Reception isn't part of the integration process. I know you're concerned about him but if he's been in prison before, he'll know how to handle himself. You gotta trust him to do what is right for him.
sidewalker (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Just my personal opinion of course but.... I sincerely believe that there are folks in both GP and SNY who just want to do their time, stay out of trouble and program, ride through all this....just as there are troublemakers on both sides. I don't think it's ever a good idea to generalize a specific group of people to be blamed over something...people are individuals, even in prison when it's possible... My LO has SNY history and he's definitely not raiding anyone or trying to fight the integration or guys from GP....he and I are both concerned how this will pan out but so far this time has shown us (2 x prisons during integration) that even though there's crap happening around him, he's been able to stay out of it by keeping his head down. To be honest I have told him I'll absolutely leave it up to him what to do if things get unbearable and he feels he cannot program anymore (safety reasons, life/death situation) -- but I believe if a person chooses to do so then they should be aware that consequences are to be expected. I will always share the good and bad on here that I may hear from him about this subject....but to anyone new to integration reading these posts and getting super scared because of comments like it's "going down" and thinking their LO will be killed the minute they step on to the yard....I think that's sensationalism to some degree.... It's not a peace of cake for sure and by no means do I want to discredit anyone's worry - I am concerned at times myself...but I don't think it's that black & white. Again, just my two cents & no offence to anyone
This times 1,000. It's that broad brush that creates difficulty and makes rational discussion difficult. I know SNY folks who are, ahem, not fine folks. I know GP that I'd trust with the life of my newborn and all my earthly wealth.
CDC has opted to take a drastic step in fleshing out people who have a hard time getting along on both sides. I absolutely agree that this was a stubborn and dangerous method of doing that. But there are many policies CDC has that are equally as stubborn and dangerous, this just happens to be the newest. Remember the Valley Fever scare a few years back? People were convinced CDC was trying to kill their loved ones when in fact they were doing all they reasonably could to keep them safe. Sometimes this agency just can't win. In this case, I understand what they're trying to do but I can't get on board with how they did it.

I very much appreciate that there are people with first hand accounts who are trying to make changes to the process. That is exactly the right thing to do. I cannot abide by folks coming here and using generalizations and unsubstantiated rumors to scare the ever loving piss out of folks who don't know differently. Remember what it was like to be new. Who helped you? What information was good to have? What made that transition more difficult? Did you ever hear anything that kept you up at night only to find it never manifested for your loved one?

As a reminder, Prison Law Office was asking for first-hand reports of integration issues. Be productive with your experience. If you know of one, like a hunger strike for example, please report it to them. Network with individuals who are also working to resolve integration issues (marie8899, I believe you're a good contact? if not, I'll edit this out).
Sarianna (06-22-2019), sidewalker (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Yes, it's fine, although I am not seeing any changes by CDCR. If there are any, they are being kept secret. I went to PLO and met with an attorney there. She was cordial and empathic but the message was: they are not going to do anything about it. I have spoken with Ralph Diaz, Acting Secretary of CDCR, who wants everyone to believe that people who are in conflict with each other are just not willing to program. That is so untrue! Many, including my l.o., were doing just fine, Level 1, getting ready for parole, when the opposing group was brought to the unit and all hell broke out--that very day and on other occasions. People, including my l.o., have been attacked, written up for fighting back, sent to Ad Seg and lost their parole dates. That is a fact. It also seems to be true that some prisons are dealing with it more successfully, as we have not heard of problems in every prison where Integration has occurred. However, I am aware of about 25 documented incidents where conflicts did occur, beginning in 2018. I believe there have been many more, due to the fact that CDCR does not publicly acknowledge when a violent incident is related to Integration. The only way we can know and document is when family members, partners or spouses, report to us what is taking place.

These people who have fought are not just "people who don't get along." CDCR had them separated for two decades for very good reasons. Some informed, truthfully or otherwise, on other suspected gang members, causing those prisoners to spend more time in isolation, because it was the only way they could get out of the SHU at Pelican Bay and other places. Others had a mental illness and sought protection. Then there were prisoners convicted of sexual offenses and child molestation. The units at some point were changed from PC to SNY (from Protective Custody to Special Needs Yards) due to the variety of needs. However, the numbers of prisoners and gang membership proliferated in the SNY units. There were also complaints that SNY prisoners did not have access to programming. So, the "solution" decided upon was to just force these long-time enemies, GP and SNY to live and program together. I believe it should have been done on a voluntary basis. Many GP and SNY inmates feel unsafe and with good reason. I personally am not on any "side"--I just see it as a lose-lose situation. I believe that due to prison politics, in some cases, those who do not fight will be penalized by others who do. So for those inmates, the prisoners who don't fight will be trouble and those who do will end up in Administrative Segregation. That is my understanding of the issue.

Quote:
This times 1,000. It's that broad brush that creates difficulty and makes rational discussion difficult. I know SNY folks who are, ahem, not fine folks. I know GP that I'd trust with the life of my newborn and all my earthly wealth.
CDC has opted to take a drastic step in fleshing out people who have a hard time getting along on both sides. I absolutely agree that this was a stubborn and dangerous method of doing that. But there are many policies CDC has that are equally as stubborn and dangerous, this just happens to be the newest. Remember the Valley Fever scare a few years back? People were convinced CDC was trying to kill their loved ones when in fact they were doing all they reasonably could to keep them safe. Sometimes this agency just can't win. In this case, I understand what they're trying to do but I can't get on board with how they did it.

I very much appreciate that there are people with first hand accounts who are trying to make changes to the process. That is exactly the right thing to do. I cannot abide by folks coming here and using generalizations and unsubstantiated rumors to scare the ever loving piss out of folks who don't know differently. Remember what it was like to be new. Who helped you? What information was good to have? What made that transition more difficult? Did you ever hear anything that kept you up at night only to find it never manifested for your loved one?

As a reminder, Prison Law Office was asking for first-hand reports of integration issues. Be productive with your experience. If you know of one, like a hunger strike for example, please report it to them. Network with individuals who are also working to resolve integration issues (marie8899, I believe you're a good contact? if not, I'll edit this out).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-21-2019), Sarianna (06-22-2019), sidewalker (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's fine, although I am not seeing any changes by CDCR. If there are any, they are being kept secret. I went to PLO and met with an attorney there. She was cordial and empathic but the message was: they are not going to do anything about it. I have spoken with Ralph Diaz, Acting Secretary of CDCR, who wants everyone to believe that people who are in conflict with each other are just not willing to program. [...]

These people who have fought are not just "people who don't get along." [...] However, the numbers of prisoners and gang membership proliferated in the SNY units. [...] I believe it should have been done on a voluntary basis. Many GP and SNY inmates feel unsafe and with good reason. I personally am not on any "side"--I just see it as a lose-lose situation. I believe that due to prison politics, in some cases, those who do not fight will be penalized by others who do. So for those inmates, the prisoners who don't fight will be trouble and those who do will end up in Administrative Segregation. That is my understanding of the issue.
First, thank you for the legwork you've done to address the issue. Being out of state makes it so hard for me to be able to do any of that. I can write letters and pass information, but as a non-resident they don't tend to want to talk to me. And of course, I can't vote on things that make it through legislation. So again...to everyone who acts on this level, know that it means the world to those of us who can't.

And I see that I should have worded this better. By "getting along", I meant those who have had legitimate conflict and those who are just knuckleheads. I've known both and from both sides of the facility. I am deeply upset that the fallout on the yards with violence have impacted people who would have otherwise been moving toward a steady date and positive programming. That's where a volunteer integration would have likely succeeded far beyond this approach. With increased programming available, why wouldn't those already cool with coloring inside the lines be willing to give it a try? CDC made, in my opinion, a grave error there. It has cost innocent people their time and their safety. This is what I meant when I said people caught in the crossfire. Crossfire that never needed to exist.

If we take what Diaz has publicly stated as the reason for integration, it makes it seems as though CDC was forcing good manners. His reasoning fell along the lines of "if they can't get along in here, they won't be successful on the streets." To a point, I agree. There will be inmates who will cause a disruption over this because of no better reason than they could. At the very least(!), there should have been a pre-integration set of classes required to enter those yards. Anger management, conflict resolution, or even go so far as to make integration an Honor yard situation. Prove it before testing it. CDC went in head first.

It's unfortunate that the response from the top has been "oh well." Diaz and his advisors are taking a very narrow view which is that yards that are working will prove his point, yards that aren't will also prove his point. We all know that this is a much more nuanced situation than that.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but Diaz's predecessor was a for-profit contractor for corrections. In other words, folks who make money off keeping prisons full. I can't help but feel there was a long-term plan in the face of the fed oversight and recent legislative reforms. Is this one? I don't know. But it fits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (06-21-2019), Sarianna (06-22-2019), sidewalker (06-22-2019)