Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 PM

Thanked 1,352 Times in 743 Posts
Default BOP Staffing to be cut 12 to 14%

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...son-companies/

Quote:
The Bureau of Prisons has for years run on what it describes as “mission critical” staffing—defined as the minimum levels of staffing required to safely operate each facility. But federal investigators have warned that combined with overcrowding, these low staff levels have left inmates and guards more vulnerable to assault. In 2015, then-BOP Director Charles E. Samuels Jr. told Congress that a shortage of correctional officers also hampered efforts to provide inmates with programs. During a House Oversight Committee hearing on prisons in December, lawmakers asked the Bureau of Prisons’ new chief, Mark Inch, why the administration now wanted to dip below mission-critical staffing levels.
fbopnomore (02-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Default It's even worse

They're already shifting nurses and secretaries over to do the jobs of correctional officers. Yep, they actually found a way to make their medical system even worse.

This article is from almost two years ago but somehow I hadn't known about it. Warning: autoplay audio/video.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rity/83517298/

Quote:
Both Currie and Young said the practices create potential security risks because PHS officers lack proper security experience and training. At the same time, Currie and Young said, the regular re-deployments are exacerbating serious, existing problems in delivering needed health care to inmates.

Late last month, the Justice Department's inspector general found persistent staffing shortages that left some prison medical facilities with vacancy rates of 40% or higher. Throughout the prison system, which serves more than 170,000 inmates, there were 656 medical staff vacancies.

Last edited by Minor activist; 02-07-2018 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: To add warning about autoplay on the linked page.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
David (02-07-2018), fbopnomore (02-07-2018), sunflowerwoman (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Federal workers protesting the staffing cuts

Quote:
Prison union officials are adopting the theme of the Oscar-winning movie Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri in an effort to call attention to dramatic cuts, warning that staffers could die if authorities proceed with a plan to eliminate more than 6,000 positions.
fbopnomore (03-08-2018), Idahomomsis (03-13-2018), sunflowerwoman (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:22 PM

Default I tried to post this once already

Sunflowerwoman, who can't post links yet, send me a pointer to a 2018 article about teachers and nurses being removed from their actual jobs and put to work supervising inmates.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...prison-guards/

Congress has started asking BOP director Inch what is going on. One Congressman asked specifically about a C/O who was stabbed to death while working alone.

Quote:
“I want you to relook at that because we’re talking about the safety of people like Eric Williams and his coworkers,” said Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.), referring to a 34-year-old correctional officer who was stabbed to death while working alone at a federal prison in Pennsylvania in 2013. The president of the prison’s union said that “staffing levels contributed to this death.”
It's called "augmentation", which strikes me as Orwellian. The people on the inside say it was bad before and has gotten worse.

Last edited by Minor activist; 03-08-2018 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Added quote to meet site rules for links.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Idahomomsis (03-13-2018), Sarianna (03-10-2018), sunflowerwoman (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
It's called "augmentation", which strikes me as Orwellian. The people on the inside say it was bad before and has gotten worse.
Is there anything more Orwellian than the prison system itself?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Another "side-effect" of budget cuts has been lockdowns becoming more frequent and longer in duration as a tool for inmate management. With minor offenses used to justify lockdowns.

Lockdowns create more stress on inmates and their loved ones when lockdowns mean no phone calls, no emails, no mail, and canceled visitation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunflowerwoman For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (03-11-2018), fbopnomore (03-08-2018), John M (03-09-2018), Sarianna (03-10-2018)