Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 01-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,414 Posts
Default Florida OKs $4.5 million payout for brutal death of Darren Rainey

January 26, 2018 08:00 AM
Updated January 26, 2018 08:04 PM

The family of Darren Rainey, the 50-year-old schizophrenic inmate whose barbaric shower death led to sweeping reforms in the Florida prison system, has settled a civil rights lawsuit against the state of Florida and others for $4.5 million, the Miami Herald has learned.

Read more here.

Its about time.

Now, let me be clear, the money doesnít come close to making up for it or making this heinously brutal AND SENSELESS crime okay, but 4.5 mil is a pretty good chunk. And, it caused new procedures and mental illness training for the officers. And, as sad as that murder was, if it took a life (there have been so many similar) to make some changes...

Iím still not good with this, but at least, itís more than comes of most. Letís all give a minute of silence for the many unknownís.

I pray his family and all familyís alike who lose their loved one to DOC can some day find peace.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (01-31-2018), arlo (02-12-2018), Charlie's Mom (03-09-2018), communicator (02-22-2018), K6770 (01-27-2018), Minor activist (01-27-2018), patchouli (01-27-2018), Sarianna (01-27-2018), xolady (01-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM

Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,887 Posts

It could be 50 million and it will never be enough. Medical in Dade CI is atrocious they haven't changed anything. Corizon who is in charge won't pay a dime they have been sued by about much more then this and appeal. I for one think the Head of FDOC should be held for criminal charges for allowing this to happen. The people who are making money off these contracted companies should be charged with murder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
K6770 (01-27-2018), patchouli (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Corizon who is in charge won't pay a dime they have been sued by about much more then this and appeal.
Wow! xo, Iíd like more info on that statement. Not that I donít believe it, Iíd just like to research the cases and find out how they are getting out of paying. Itís all public records, but I imagine it would be crazy trying to find without names of the parties involved.

Do you have any details on that statement?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-27-2018), xolady (01-29-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Us Against the World

The only positive to this is that there seems to be some changes coming for mentally ill inmates. No amount of money will ever be enough, but for the family at least they have some closure now and can hopefully begin the process of healing.
patchouli (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
Wow! xo, Iíd like more info on that statement. Not that I donít believe it, Iíd just like to research the cases and find out how they are getting out of paying. Itís all public records, but I imagine it would be crazy trying to find without names of the parties involved.

I don't but my Mother in law has done extensive research and has pulled all kinds of records and documentation about this especially Dade CI & Corizon. You can google corizon heath care law suits and see how many there are and they appeal all judgments so those poor families who think they won are not going to see a dime for many many years. You can look up the same info I am just sick over it and really I just hate that the news has made it sound like these people won, when the battle is just beginning.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,352 Times in 743 Posts

Question for our lawyer members: is it normal for a settlement agreement for $4.5 million to be written by hand?

Second question: is there any way to tell which defendant paid how much? The state's contribution would presumably be in public records. Corizon is privately owned so they're likely to be opaque. I have no idea whether their contract with the state is open to a public records request, but that's a place to look because there would _definitely_ have been contract language about which party paid for which lawsuits.

The Miami-Dade state attorney who let the guards walk, Rundle, is in an elected position. In 2016 she ran unopposed. Hint, hint.

Question for people with FL loved ones -- are the reforms people are talking about for real, and are they even close to enough?

Last edited by Minor activist; 01-27-2018 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Removed duplicate paragraphs
Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Question for our lawyer members: is it normal for a settlement agreement for $4.5 million to be written by hand?

Second question: is there any way to tell which defendant paid how much? The state's contribution would presumably be in public records. Corizon is privately owned so they're likely to be opaque. I have no idea whether their contract with the state is open to a public records request, but that's a place to look because there would _definitely_ have been contract language about which party paid for which lawsuits.

Ive read where anyone that contracts with the state must comply to the open records law, as well.

The Miami-Dade state attorney who let the guards walk, Rundle, is in an elected position. In 2016 she ran unopposed. Hint, hint.

Question for people with FL loved ones -- are the reforms people are talking about for real, and are they even close to enough?
What reform? We are still waiting. Where did you hear THAT?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Try googling civil suits against Corizon they all get appealed.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Don't believe anything you read about reforms it's all bullshit!!! Anyone who believes what they read in the newspaper or on the internet is foolish all the advertising that the miami herald is getting from polititians is what predicts whats written and what is not.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanked 1,352 Times in 743 Posts

Where did I hear that? Miami Herald.

Quote:
The family of Darren Rainey, the 50-year-old schizophrenic inmate whose barbaric shower death led to sweeping reforms in the Florida prison system

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/spec...#storylink=cpy
And, you answered my question about whether those reported reforms were for real. Thank you.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Where did I hear that? Miami Herald.

And, you answered my question about whether those reported reforms were for real. Thank you.
There are proposed rule changes and training set but, you canít teach decency or empathy once itís gone. That was a heinous murder, there is no training or reform thatís going to correct that kind of evil.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
Charlie's Mom (04-03-2018), communicator (02-22-2018), Minor activist (01-29-2018), xolady (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,763 Times in 10,754 Posts

No prison time for anybody....if you'd that in the free world, you'd be behind bars so fast your head would spin!

I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.
communicator (02-22-2018), xolady (02-01-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
No prison time for anybody....if you'd that in the free world, you'd be behind bars so fast your head would spin!

I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.
Besides the hell the family has endured they will never see a dime.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Donation Award 

Its questioning the people that they hire , and how they screen them, from what I see some of the guards take to much plesure in this kind of treatment
they should have better guide lines . A ffew bad apples spoils the whole bunch and makes the warden look bad

Quote:
January 26, 2018 08:00 AM
Updated January 26, 2018 08:04 PM

The family of Darren Rainey, the 50-year-old schizophrenic inmate whose barbaric shower death led to sweeping reforms in the Florida prison system, has settled a civil rights lawsuit against the state of Florida and others for $4.5 million, the Miami Herald has learned.

Read more here.

Its about time.

Now, let me be clear, the money doesnít come close to making up for it or making this heinously brutal AND SENSELESS crime okay, but 4.5 mil is a pretty good chunk. And, it caused new procedures and mental illness training for the officers. And, as sad as that murder was, if it took a life (there have been so many similar) to make some changes...

Iím still not good with this, but at least, itís more than comes of most. Letís all give a minute of silence for the many unknownís.

I pray his family and all familyís alike who lose their loved one to DOC can some day find peace.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51littlemama View Post
Its questioning the people that they hire , and how they screen them, from what I see some of the guards take to much plesure in this kind of treatment
they should have better guide lines . A ffew bad apples spoils the whole bunch and makes the warden look bad
I canít argue about the hiring practices, I do know this kind of power makes the best go bad.

Have you ever watched The Stanford Prison Experiment? If not, google and watch. Itís very thought provoking and heart wrenching.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-05-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Donation Award 

DId the guards that did this get charged for anything ?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
DId the guards that did this get charged for anything ?
No. Not all of them lost their jobs, even.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Donation Award 

now I see Florida prison going to every other weekend depending on DC number, seems like they are moving toward no visitatation only through closed circuirt TV Are they totally nuts ! its taking away the human rights for family it will turn these people to worse crimes when they get released with no skills on a social level ! has me very upset to know that i might never be able to see my loved on to have that human touch

Quote:
I canít argue about the hiring practices, I do know this kind of power makes the best go bad.

Have you ever watched The Stanford Prison Experiment? If not, google and watch. Itís very thought provoking and heart wrenching.
The Following User Says Thank You to 51littlemama For This Useful Post:
communicator (02-22-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
now I see Florida prison going to every other weekend depending on DC number, seems like they are moving toward no visitatation only through closed circuirt TV Are they totally nuts ! its taking away the human rights for family it will turn these people to worse crimes when they get released with no skills on a social level ! has me very upset to know that i might never be able to see my loved on to have that human touch
Thatís the temporary memo. There is also a proposed rule change. Please see my other post.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Donation Award 

Default Visitation protest petition circulating

Quote:
There is a petition circulating regarding the visitation changes. As family and friends our voices need to be heard. My 9 year old granddaughter wants to see her daddy