Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Interstate Compact Transfer -how to find out status

My husband put in for a transfer from az to co the beginning of June - he's recently called his po - who told him he had to talk to the ICTO- when he called the ICTO they said they could not tell him anything and that he would find out when his po finds out and that is the only person who will know anything - my husband is on parole in AZ - his wife and children live in CO - is there anyway to find out what the status is of his transfer or not? Who would know where his paperwork is in the process? My husband is compliant with his parole plan/supervision - doing everything he is supposed to do to the letter. I thought they had 45 days to do their investigation??? I haven't received any contact from anyone in CO parole to even set up a home visit or talk to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Probation & Parole Office

Well, in my opinion, 45 days is the "optimal" situation.
Typically, the process goes like this (or something very close):
1) Offender speaks to supervising Officer about transferring from X state to Y state. Paperwork is filled out to include address, sponsor and possible employment.
2) Paperwork is sent off to the Interstate Compact Office of X state.
3) Interstate Compact Office takes the paperwork and sends it, electronically, to Y state.
4) Interstate Compact Office in Y state takes the paperwork and assigns it to an office in the city where the Offender wants to reside for investigation.
5) Officer in that city then conducts the investigation into the residence and sponsor in order to approve or deny.
6) If everything checks out, authorization is given for the move and X state gives the Offender a travel permit to go to Y state.

There are, of course, variations within this theme, that can both lessen and increase the average timeframe. And there are other cases being handled by Officers on both ends, other Offenders being transferred to Z state and T state and F state, etc, etc ad nauseum.

What you might can do is call the local Office and make sure the address, phone number and your name on the paperwork is all correct. Tell them your work schedule and give them any other phone numbers you may be reached at. Then you just wait.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igor Louis For This Useful Post:
26thncaliswag (02-10-2012), Boopydooda22 (06-19-2010), leshawest (08-19-2009), ramonakasha (02-11-2010)
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 AM
RUSTYWIFE

well iam threw the same thing my husband is comming from flordia to az and we havent heard anything yet it they have 30 days and you do have to wait for the probation officer in the state that the inmate is commimg from
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM

How long after the home visit is approved does it usually take for the parolee to be allowed to come to the new state? My husbands home plan was approved in nj 3 days ago, so now how long will it take for PA to send him here?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Is he out and reporting in PA already or awaiting release?
If he's already out, then he should get a travel permit within 7 days. If he's waiting on release from prison, then it's not that big of a rush.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 AM

tampico, keep us posted! our home was finally visited and approved today, so i'll be on my way back! yay! but now i am wondering the same thing, my situation in oregon is getting more dire by the day and I REALLY need to get back.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

My son asked his counselor to process a parole transfer from CA to NV 5 months ago. The counselor finally put the paperwork in 2 weeks ago, less than one month until his release. I contacted ICOTS they said there is no record of the transfer request and told me to contact Sacramento, I sent an email to the email addy in Sac that they gave me, but I have not heard back..is there any way to sort through this mess out and find out what stage the transfer request is at? He is due to parole Sept 17th.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM

That's cutting really close into the time given to research the address. With his date coming up so soon, I'd try and call someone in the NV Office and see if the Offender has been assigned for investigation yet.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Louis View Post
That's cutting really close into the time given to research the address. With his date coming up so soon, I'd try and call someone in the NV Office and see if the Offender has been assigned for investigation yet.
It hasn't even gone to ICOTS yet, I talked to Mr. Hageman & he said it hasn't hit the icots system yet, so it's either not been submitted at all, or it is stuck in Sacramento, the problem is that the interstate compact office in Sacramento doesn't seem to answer their phone or respond to emails.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 PM

FYI, the ICOTS office in CA is running VERY SLOWLY. The budget has caused them difficulty, like all the rest of us, so if CA is behind, that's just the way it will be for some time. I have been dealing with them on an urgent situation for nearly 3 months now with no results.

Also, they may ahve information, but there is no way that they are going to release it to an outsider. I know our office gives the standard line of "We don't have anything on it yet" whenever a none-PO or ICOTS officer calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to VA PO For This Useful Post:
2sleepy (08-30-2009)
Old 08-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA PO View Post
FYI, the ICOTS office in CA is running VERY SLOWLY. The budget has caused them difficulty, like all the rest of us, so if CA is behind, that's just the way it will be for some time. I have been dealing with them on an urgent situation for nearly 3 months now with no results.

Also, they may ahve information, but there is no way that they are going to release it to an outsider. I know our office gives the standard line of "We don't have anything on it yet" whenever a none-PO or ICOTS officer calls.
thanks for the response, I had heard that they are slow
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM

I got in touch with the Sacramento Interstate Compact office today, they were nice enough, they put in my son's CDCR # and said that the prison has not transmitted his packet. He paroles in 17 days. I'm at a loss to know what to do. I called and left a message for his counselor but he never calls back. Would hiring an attorney do any good?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM

If your intent is to try and find out the status and ensure he gets transferred, then an attorney won't do any good. My opinion only though, for what it's worth.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Well it sounds like this is a common problem in Calif. My nephew was in Prison and my sister started talking with his caseworker last year to have him xferred to CO when he paroled. They told her all his fines had to be paid...she did that. After that the caseworker would never call her back and she stays in touch with the parole office that he would xfer to and they have heard nothing. If he is in So Cal what ICOT office would I contact to see if anyone even did anything? He is out now and reported to his PO (another fiasco)and when I asked his PO he said he has nothing to do with that. As always, everyone ignoring, passing the buck and completely ignoring their jobs because they can. Quite frankly, I'd like to see half the employees in the State of CA in Prison vs the ones that are...but anyways..how can I get this kid out of this lousy system so that he will at least have half a chance to turn his life around?
Oh, I contacted the senators office already and, surprisingly, right after that my nephew was picked up on a parole violation. The guys he LIVES with (with the approval of his PO)were all going to the store and he was arrested for being with parolees, but they weren't. Cmon now. How much more ridiculous can this get? After contacting his PO he was immediately released but it reeks with retaliation...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistchf View Post
Well it sounds like this is a common problem in Calif. My nephew was in Prison and my sister started talking with his caseworker last year to have him xferred to CO when he paroled. They told her all his fines had to be paid...she did that. After that the caseworker would never call her back and she stays in touch with the parole office that he would xfer to and they have heard nothing. If he is in So Cal what ICOT office would I contact to see if anyone even did anything? He is out now and reported to his PO (another fiasco)and when I asked his PO he said he has nothing to do with that. As always, everyone ignoring, passing the buck and completely ignoring their jobs because they can. Quite frankly, I'd like to see half the employees in the State of CA in Prison vs the ones that are...but anyways..how can I get this kid out of this lousy system so that he will at least have half a chance to turn his life around?
Oh, I contacted the senators office already and, surprisingly, right after that my nephew was picked up on a parole violation. The guys he LIVES with (with the approval of his PO)were all going to the store and he was arrested for being with parolees, but they weren't. Cmon now. How much more ridiculous can this get? After contacting his PO he was immediately released but it reeks with retaliation...
The Sacramento ICOTs office handles all transfers for California, here's a link to a directory, just scroll down to California:
http://www.interstatecompact.org/Por...y/contacts.pdf
One thing I found out while trying to sort through this mess is that California does not use the electronic system, so the prison counselor has to fill out the paperwork send it to Sacramento, they put it in the system and all of that takes forever and then if it never gets entered you have no idea who to blame, it just 'poofs' and disappears- you don't know if the counselor sent it in or if it is sitting on someone's desk in Sacramento. Retaliation? It doesn't surprise me, after I left a message for my son's counselor and asked if he could please try to track down the transfer paperwork ISU came in and searched my son's property (I'm going to assume it was just coincidence but it sure doesn't pass the smell test)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM

Default ICOTS in Sacramento

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It hasn't even gone to ICOTS yet, I talked to Mr. Hageman & he said it hasn't hit the icots system yet, so it's either not been submitted at all, or it is stuck in Sacramento, the problem is that the interstate compact office in Sacramento doesn't seem to answer their phone or respond to emails.

I have contacted the interstate office in Sacramento early in the morning, around 8am. They answer, but are not very helpful. They have been forced to take Fridays off so are using that as an excuse to not do their job. I've written three or four e-mails with no luck. Try the phones early in the morning and not on Fridays. Good luck
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Thumbs down Florida to nevada

If someone is doing time in florida but family is in nevada do they allow transfers to do time ?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 AM

My husband is trying to file for an interstate transfer but his parole officer in the prison isnt helping at all. He keeps telling him that he will look into it but never does anything else. Is there anything I can do.

HE MADE PAROLE!!!!!

I LOVE MY BABY!
The Following User Says Thank You to kellu25 For This Useful Post:
Juliana17 (12-08-2015)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Default MY BF is waiting for his transfer to be submitted too.

I'm going through the same thing. Well, my bf aunt is the one he is paroling to and he will finish is tc program at the end of March, which is only a couple months from now. His aunt called the pa parole interstate office and ny and nothing. They say they don't have his file, but when she spoke to the po in the facility two weeks ago, he said the paperwork was processed. So now what. Go figure. I will suggest his aunt wait another two weeks and then to see if anything has been done. Cause it sounds like the paperwork hasn't left the pa prison yet, or yet hasn't even been processed yet to be sent to pa interstate for home plan investigation. Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Interstate Compact info

This is 2-9-2012 and I am in central Arizona with my fiance in California at C.I.W. She is due for release 5-1-2012. Not too far off! She had her counselor do all the paperwork months ago, but neither of us have heard a word. No info. No nothing. It seems I would have been contacted by now by the probation people in my area, but not yet. Our ditch effort is that I'll have to be at the prison the morning she is released. Drive her up to Sacramento to her assigned P.O. and put in for an interstae compact there. No idea how long that will take. While waiting I guess we'll be renting a motel room till it is approved, but how long could/would that take before we can leave California and return to Arizona? Is anyone in California awake or alive?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Donation Award 

I just want to reiterate that California is running really slow. They have so many paroles and transfers and people going here and there it's really making things run at a snails pace.
I was released from parole in November and while I have an offical statement from my parole agent in Michigan where I transferred from and from my agent here in Cali for proof, I still don't have the final paperwork, as it had to go back to Cali transfer office and then to Michigan and it's stuck.
So I recommend if you do call them and get through, be as polite as possible (they are stressed) and have your list of questions ready as you might not get through again.

To the original question - the 45 days is (I believe) the amount of time the agent in your county has to do the home check once they receive the information (not once it's in the state or once their office gets it, but once it is assigned to them). And that is business days.

Good Luck Everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to jencali For This Useful Post:
graniet (01-29-2013)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Probation officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitster View Post
This is 2-9-2012 and I am in central Arizona with my fiance in California at C.I.W. She is due for release 5-1-2012. Not too far off! She had her counselor do all the paperwork months ago, but neither of us have heard a word. No info. No nothing. It seems I would have been contacted by now by the probation people in my area, but not yet. Our ditch effort is that I'll have to be at the prison the morning she is released. Drive her up to Sacramento to her assigned P.O. and put in for an interstae compact there. No idea how long that will take. While waiting I guess we'll be renting a motel room till it is approved, but how long could/would that take before we can leave California and return to Arizona? Is anyone in California awake or alive?
The approval can be held in the process for 30-45 days. Personaaly, I've seen it go up to 6 months. CA is huge and the amount of Compacts that need to be screened is rdiculous. I would say, be patient, but that is unrealistic at best.

5-1-12 is ample time though.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM

My hubby is due to come home in 30 days. NJ parole approved my home but advised same would have to submitted back to the interstate compact department. How or when will I hear that he's set to come home on his release date 1-14-2016! Anyone kindly advise!!

4always
Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,478 Times in 13,492 Posts

Your husband will be notified by either the IC Office, or by his prison counselor. Hopefully it will be approved before he is released from prison in January, but all you guys can do is wait. From what you posted, it sounds like his case is being processed, which is a good thing.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Your husband will be notified by either the IC Office, or by his prison counselor. Hopefully it will be approved before he is released from prison in January, but all you guys can do is wait. From what you posted, it sounds like his case is being processed, which is a good thing.

Thank you so much! God Bless!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4always For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-08-2015)