Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts
Question Are you evenly yoked in your relationship?

Ladies,,I know they say that opposites attract but they also say for a lasting strong relationship you need to be evenly yolked.
For Boo and I , I think that we are in that we did grow up in the same atmosphere and pretty much under the same types of home grown rules- He just broke a few more than me
We really agree on a lot of issues when it comes to raising kids in a urban setting and what we want to do make sure they do better than what we did.
So tell me ladies how are you and your husband or BF evenly yolked?
What is the strongest common bond that you have?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Account Closed

We are alike yet so different. I am much more of a prude than he is, but we grew up in a similar setting also and agree on how to raise the kids. We are both weird but very family-centered people so we mesh very well .
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,227 Times in 608 Posts

we were raised pretty different. His father was very abusive and very cold hearted so of course that trickeled down to him. He is not a trusting person, and me well I trust everyone, (which is not a good trait either) as far as our beliefs on child rearing and all of that we are similair. He wants to do the things he says but has yet beenn able to do it cuz of his inabiltity to let go of his anger issues. AS far as faith goes, we do believe the same things.... now believeing and being able to live them are not always the same.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
He's home!

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,083 Posts

We both came from broken homes. Alcoholism was present. Domestic violence.

There are a lot of areas where we are different though. Like how we dealt with those situations. He got into a LOT of trouble. I was the good girl. I believe he feels that is a benefit though. He feels that I help to stabalize him.

We'll never have children together. But, he loves and adores mine and my grandchildren. We agree the grandchildren should be spoiled...and often.

ETA: We have the same goals in life. And, a strong belief that God is an important part of our future.

Last edited by TedEBare; 05-06-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts

I think the fact that me & Keith are such opposites, it's what evens us out in the end. We both have individual qualities that sort of feed off of each other. *In a good way* Like, he can be impulsive, careless, and sometimes short-tempered and he needs someone to set him in line. [[Like me]] BUT I can be really moody, not have my priorities straight, and lazy which he sets ME in line when it comes to those things.

I was rasied in a small suburban town, he was raised in the projects. He's sort of like the spunk I need in my life. & I guess I'm the calmness/stability he needs in his.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,536 Times in 3,740 Posts
Default I am Him and He is Me

We are identical in every aspect except he is male and I am female. Seriously.
from how we grew up, what we've done, been, how we are, tempers, etc. we agree on 99% of issues, have same views, same religion, etc.
He has two boys, I have two girls.
He is tall, I'm tall

We're like twins. LOL

Differences:
I grew up with a mother and a father married to each other.
He never met his dad.

Other differences: We're both from California but he's LA, I'm SF.
He is Dodgers , I'm Giants.
He is Raider, I am 49ers!

Last edited by esteli; 05-06-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM

We are so different but alike in many ways. As for our belief, we are very similar but I am more grounded in my faith than he is, not htat I am way into it either. We have the same ideals about parenting, etc.. and all in all seem compatible but only time will tell me at this point.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I love my doofas!

Thanked 7,133 Times in 3,712 Posts

We've had similar difficulties in our childhoods, we've been through a lot of the same expierences. We are different in the way we act but alike in the way we think.
We agree on where we want to live, religion, issues, raising kids... we both want the same things out of life. Basically just to be content with our work and family. We both see having a family one day as our major life goal. There isnt anything major in our relationship that we disagree on. Just the little stuff!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
his one and only

being equally or evenly yolked is a Biblical term referring to not marring a non-christian ,my husband are both Christians so we are equally yolked

2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earlsgirl22 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-06-2009), Fancy (09-11-2009), Mariposa93009 (04-18-2010)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM

we were raised totally different. He came from a broken home and had to fend for himself. I came from a very privileged home and never had to worry about anything. although we balance out one another which makes us great for one another. when it comes to children we are on the same page.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,029 Posts

We are evenly yoked on everything except politics.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleD14 View Post
we were raised totally different. He came from a broken home and had to fend for himself. I came from a very privileged home and never had to worry about anything. although we balance out one another which makes us great for one another. when it comes to children we are on the same page.
ditto!!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM

Our childhoods were as different as night and day. Mine was idyllic and his was in and out of detention. I graduated college and he didn't finish high school, but I honestly believe he is the more intelligent. Our beliefs are the same, we have the same morals, senses of humor and enjoy the same things. So I guess we got lucky when we found each other.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,385 Posts

[quote=earlsgirl22;4636254]being equally or evenly yolked is a Biblical term referring to not marring a non-christian ,my husband are both Christians so we are equally yolked
Nope we're not... one day tho. one day!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanked 5,159 Times in 2,378 Posts

We both had very rough childhood but for different reasons. Both of his parents were alcoholics, and his father could be quite abusive to everyone. What little money they had was spent on booze!
My family started off very secure until my father died. My mother was pregnant and back then post partum depression had not been discovered yet! I had to step up and raise the little ones since Mom was not functional.
We both went out to work at 14. We both gave our parents what we made. My mother did buy groceries and she fed him nearly every meal he had from age 10. We are the same religion, although he follows it better than I do. We agree on most political and moral issues.
We became best friends at a very young age and for the most part we do not argue. We saw enough of that in his house.
So yes, I think we are equally yoked. Our biggest difference is that he values material things and I value a person's well being and have little concern for money!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

Like one of the other posters noted EVENLY YOLKED as a biblical term means that you are both the same in your strength and commitment in a religious lifestyle.

I do not believe it has a whole lot to do with one's past or how they were raised.

But, it is what is in each other's hearts now. Are you each committed to your religion, and in an even way.

One spouse should not be at a certain spot of their spiritual development and the other at a total other spot. *******You should be even to have a good marriage.

So, the question should be "are you both at the same station of your spiritually and are you two the same in your commitment to your religion and a lifestyle that reflects that you and your marriage is a living example of that religion?"

So much more important than the other things. Nothing to do with likes or dislikes, or what kind of environment you were raised. If the marriage is truly a reflection of your religion then the other things become so unimportant.

Last edited by Fancy; 09-11-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennwife View Post
Like one of the other posters noted EVENLY YOLKED as a biblical term means that you are both the same in your strength and commitment in a religious lifestyle.

I do not believe it has a whole lot to do with one's past or how they were raised.

But, it is what is in each other's hearts now. Are you each committed to your religion, and in an even way.

One spouse should not be at a certain spot of their spiritual development and the other at a total other spot. *******You should be even to have a good marriage.

So, the question should be "are you both at the same station of your spiritually and are you two the same in your commitment to your religion and a lifestyle that reflects that you and your marriage is a living example of that religion?"

So much more important than the other things. Nothing to do with likes or dislikes, or what kind of environment you were raised. If the marriage is truly a reflection of your religion then the other things become so unimportant.
amen sista!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

That's all well and good if you both have the same religious convictions, however not everyone does.
Background, personality, life experiences and the amount of effort you put in all play a part in how well matched and even the relationship is.
The Following User Says Thank You to coachy1 For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (09-12-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 AM
~Forever & Ever~

I think we are a very good match as we balance eachother. I am implusive and he is alot more thoughtful and rational. We are able to consider eachothers feelings, ideas and differences. He opens my eyes to many things and I do the same. We will lock horns that if for sure but the bottom line is the commitment to make it work and work is out is ever present. We also have the same ideals of family and how to raise our children. We mesh very well.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Loving My Convict

we are not equally yoked I am a new christian since Dec. 09 and he is I guess a non-believer. He says he believes in something but5 he doesnt know what

~A Convicts Woman Is The Rarest Of Jewels~