Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Phone/Visitation issue- removed from visitation list after call forwarding to my cell

I am asking for help here. Mu husband and I made a mistake regarding the phones. I work from home and my work # is transferred home and anytime I am not available I have to forward to my cell so they can contact me. I left early on Friday to do Christmas shopping and he happened to call that night and I answered it. They gave him a major case for it...30 days no rec, commissary, or contact visits & 90 days no phone calls. Now today I get a letter that they have removed me from his visitation list. August will be 2 years that he will be locked up and I am the only one on his visitation list that sees him and we have a 2 year old. His mother has only been a couple of times in the 1 1/2 yrs he has already been there. Obviously I shouldn't have answered the phone but it was completely unintentional. They said I could write an appeal letter. Has anyone else had to deal with this and were you able to get back on the list after you were removed?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Yes, I've heard of people writing and appealing and getting back on. The reason they took you off his visitation list is that you have to be on the list in order to get the calls. Write the letter and explain what happened. Is it possible for you to get a phone just for his calls? Someone else I know that this happened to, just set up the phone at someone else's house and she goes there to talk to him. Of course, that person had to be added to his visitation list. But I think if you write that letter and explain what happened it will work out. Good luck
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

definitely write and appeal- explain it as clear as you can and don't make any excuses- accept responsibility and apologize. honesty will go further than excuses. if you can get a separate phone line for his calls at your residence, mention that in your letter. getting a dedicated line with no features will show them you are serious about abiding by the rules in the future.

i would NOT recommend getting somebody else onto his list so you can go to their house to get calls. what if they catch you? a mistake of forwarding your line is one thing, but deliberately trying to circumvent the suspension will not be looked upon favorably by TDCJ and you run the risk of being banned permanently with no chance to appeal.

let us know how it turns out....
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't reccommend going to someone else's house either just to get the calls, I just mentioned that this person did it and I expect that she will be caught one day. She always forwarded her cell phone so she wouldn't miss his calls and I told her she would be caught one day. so i never really felt sorry for her. I'm the type that plays by the rules and I naively think everyone else does to. But I think a heartfelt letter with a sincere apology and an explanation of how and why it happened will work. If nothing else, it may get you back on his visitation list.
The Following User Says Thank You to luvinhim24/7 For This Useful Post:
britecloud (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the information. I feel better now at a chance of possibly getting back on. I am thinking about getting magic jack for work and changing it over to that # and leaving my home phone # since it is already approved. No I wouldn't add anyone to the list so he can call. That isn't right and this was totally an innocent mistake. We have a 2 yr old and he has been gone since she has been 4 months old. So to not be able to take her to see her dad or be able to talk to him is going to be rough.

Thanks again for the support
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Good luck and i know that it will work out for you.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

I have heard of this happening to many. The only thing you can do is accept responsibility for your actions and apologize. I have yet to hear of people who were let back on as of yet but they just started doing this a few months back so we'll see what happens. Please let us know how this turns out for you.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
here we go again :(
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,342 Times in 615 Posts

WOW! My husband has been out for 1 year now but a couple of months before he got out, I forwarded my phones too. It was right after that big escape happened at the Estelle unit and they had been on lockdown for about a month because of it. Anyway...I had my phones forwarded to my cell phone so I would be sure and get his call because I knew they were coming off of lockdown soon. I know it wasnt the right thing to do but I did it anyway. Well i mentioned something about being at work and I guess they were monitoring the phones really close because of the escape at that unit. They blocked our calls that night and told me that he couldnt call me for 90 days. Only my number was blocked though. He was still able to call my moms house (she was already on his visitation list). He didnt catch a major case, or any kind of case at all for that matter, i wasnt taken off of his visitation list, none of that. He ended up making parole a couple of months later and came home. That just seems really harsh to do! I dont understand how it is the inmates fault at all but i guess they are trying to teach everyone a lesson. I guess they feel that if people see what happens to their loved ones, they wont try to break the rules. Im so sorry this happened to you.

Last edited by a_coleman; 01-26-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM

what is magic jack? and why cant calls be recieved on cell phones? does anyone know?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifie4life View Post
what is magic jack? and why cant calls be recieved on cell phones? does anyone know?

Magic Jack is a phone service that you plug the thing into your computer and get phone service through your internet provider. it's a way to have phone service without having to pay for a home line. It's like 20 a year instead of monthly like most places... TDCJ doesn't allow this though for the number the inmate calls... And I am guessing they don't allow cell phones because they can't really confirm that the phone belongs to this person. It keeps the inmates that have violent offenses from contacting the victim or something... I think it is just a way TDCJ uses to make it harder on us out here...

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,400 Times in 766 Posts

It's also possibly to keep them from calling other offenders who might have a contraband cell phone.