Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:20 AM

Default Can I become a police officer with an incarcerated husband?

'Hi I'm Married To A Inmate Who Is Currently Doing Time At Avenal , I'm Going To College Study For Basic Peace Training To Become A Poilce Officer "My Husband Told Me His Homies Told He I Can't Become A Poilce Officer Dude To Him , I Don't Know If That Is True Or Not ? Can Anyone Give Me Information Please .
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2018, 07:08 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,539 Times in 14,383 Posts

I think that if you did become a police officer the hiring agency would have to be informed that your spouse is a felon.
I dont know this for sure but its my guess.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
AdalineNChris (06-09-2018), Sunnielg (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 AM

Thanked 2,756 Times in 957 Posts

There might be issues because you have to carry a gun as a police officer. You may be able to become a police officer but getting hired might be a different story. I guess it would depend on if you are doing this while he’s still in prison or when he’s released and what his crime was. Just doing a quick search on google shows you may have trouble passing the background check.

ďAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your ownĒ
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
AdalineNChris (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
There might be issues because you have to carry a gun as a police officer. You may be able to become a police officer but getting hired might be a different story. I guess it would depend on if you are doing this while heís still in prison or when heís released and what his crime was. Just doing a quick search on google shows you may have trouble passing the background check.
I Did Search Up Mostly Everything It Just Says You Can Date/Be Married Felon And You Can Become A Police Officer But IDK I Think I'mma Just Talk To My Teacher
Old 06-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I think that if you did become a police officer the hiring agency would have to be informed that your spouse is a felon.
I dont know this for sure but its my guess.
'Thank You ! .
Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,086 Posts

I would imagine future employers would be interested in what he was incarcerated for.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Thanked 11,058 Times in 5,991 Posts

Generally speaking, getting certified as a peace officer will not be the problem. Some agencies WILL have an issue. Some agencies will have a bigger problem with the capitalization of every single word in a document...

Another consideration, post-release, is that some agencies will object to paroling an offender to a residence where a firearm is present. A peace officer is rarely coming home and putting their service weapon into a gun safe, so there is little argument that can be offered that the weapon would be out of reach of the releasee.

There are plenty of people around the country that work for law enforcement or correctional agencies and have spouses or other family members who are incarcerated. Even some parole officers have spouses that are incarcerated. The common denominator is that they ALL have disclosed the relationship and gone through some manner of further investigation as to the circumstance.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-12-2018), maytayah (06-09-2018), Ms Sunny (06-09-2018), nimuay (06-09-2018), Sarianna (06-10-2018), sass4221 (06-10-2018), sidewalker (06-10-2018), yourself (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Generally speaking, getting certified as a peace officer will not be the problem. Some agencies WILL have an issue. Some agencies will have a bigger problem with the capitalization of every single word in a document...

Another consideration, post-release, is that some agencies will object to paroling an offender to a residence where a firearm is present. A peace officer is rarely coming home and putting their service weapon into a gun safe, so there is little argument that can be offered that the weapon would be out of reach of the releasee.

There are plenty of people around the country that work for law enforcement or correctional agencies and have spouses or other family members who are incarcerated. Even some parole officers have spouses that are incarcerated. The common denominator is that they ALL have disclosed the relationship and gone through some manner of further investigation as to the circumstance.
Yes This Is One Of My Main Concerns ! I Know My Husband Can't Be Around/Allowed To Have A Gun In Our Home , But I Heard You Can Leave Your Firearm In Your Locker Or At Work I'm Not Sure If That Is True .
Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I would imagine future employers would be interested in what he was incarcerated for.
'Yes I Know They Would Want His Information And What He Got Charged For , It's A Violent Crime .
Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,561 Times in 11,008 Posts

So, Adeline, the best thing to do is to talk to the agency and make sure what their exact requirements are. Horse's mouth stuff (next to CenTexLyn, , it's the best info).

And I need to ask one question - are you working from a phone with your CAPSLOCK on? That's the only way I know of to get that initial capitalization in this format.
AdalineNChris (06-11-2018), Sarianna (06-14-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
I need to ask one question - are you working from a phone with your CAPSLOCK on? That's the only way I know of to get that initial capitalization in this format.
My 15 year old daughter does this. Iím 99.9% sure itís deliberate.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 PM

Yes you can be one a police officer while having a husband in prison.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osugirl View Post
Yes you can be one a police officer while having a husband in prison.
'Thank You For You Info ! .
Old 06-12-2018, 06:40 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,716 Times in 1,115 Posts

I have relatives who are police officers. You will have to take a polygraph during which they will ask you about anyone you know who is or has been involved in any illegal activity. Unless he has become completely rehabilitated and you believe he has no likelihood of going back to whatever got him to prison (I’m going to guess it was not his first rodeo that landed him there) then what I would be concerned with is staying a police officer once he is released.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakini View Post
I have relatives who are police officers. You will have to take a polygraph during which they will ask you about anyone you know who is or has been involved in any illegal activity. Unless he has become completely rehabilitated and you believe he has no likelihood of going back to whatever got him to prison (Iím going to guess it was not his first rodeo that landed him there) then what I would be concerned with is staying a police officer once he is released.
No His First Time Ever In Prison/Jail , My Husband Doesn't Have A Background Till Now , , No I Know He Won't Be Going Back The Old Way He Haves Changes A Lot Plus We Have A Son Together Who Is One He Wants To Be A Father/In His Life .
The Following User Says Thank You to AdalineNChris For This Useful Post:
Dakini (06-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
No His First Time Ever In Prison/Jail , My Husband Doesn't Have A Background Till Now , , No I Know He Won't Be Going Back The Old Way He Haves Changes A Lot Plus We Have A Son Together Who Is One He Wants To Be A Father/In His Life .
I doubt you would ever be hired by any law enforcement agency! You can certainly go thru the schooling but getting hired is a whole different ball game. You have no idea what he's going to be like when he comes out and for your own sake don't assume he's changed so much. LOTS of guys and girls in prison seem to be model citizens only to come out and be worse then when they went in. Some come out way better, but that's very rare and if your child was a big concern he'd have never gone and gotten himself locked up, he'd be with you now raising this child. Sorry to sound so brutally honest but the reality and what your thinking are totally different.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,561 Times in 11,008 Posts

xolady ^^^ tends to be a bit dire at times, but she's not entirely unrealistic. Take it for what it's worth.
Fridyrr.Likn (06-13-2018), Patrickj (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I doubt you would ever be hired by any law enforcement agency! You can certainly go thru the schooling but getting hired is a whole different ball game. You have no idea what he's going to be like when he comes out and for your own sake don't assume he's changed so much. LOTS of guys and girls in prison seem to be model citizens only to come out and be worse then when they went in. Some come out way better, but that's very rare and if your child was a big concern he'd have never gone and gotten himself locked up, he'd be with you now raising this child. Sorry to sound so brutally honest but the reality and what your thinking are totally different.
'Your Doubt Is Wrong 😊 I Went Down To My City Poilce Station Explain Everything Ask Questions I Got My Answer I Was Looking For But Thank You For Your Info ! And That's Your Opinion/How You Think And See It But Anywho Thanks Again
The Following User Says Thank You to AdalineNChris For This Useful Post:
AndyS (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 PM

Even if there’s no specific law that says you can’t... think of how this makes you stack up against other candidates. You will never be the only person applying for a job. If you’ve got 10 people applying for a job and 9 of them aren’t married to a violent felon who’s done hard time, guess where you’ll rank?

I’m not a felon or a police officer and I can already think of like 6 nefarious things a criminal could do with access to the kind of information you’d have readily available in your home if you managed to get a job. Especially with the kind of naÔvetť you’re displaying about recidivism and violent crimes.

There’s TONS of online police forums and lots of people have asked this question. Unequivocally, the police officers are saying “hell, no”. Some specifically say there’s no way they’d partner with someone married to a violent felon because it puts them and the whole station in danger. I think you’d do well to dig into those forums and get a real feel for your chances (they’re piss-poor, and that’s being generous) before you spend years of studying and thousands in tuition to end up being a rent-a-cop on a Segway at the mall.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Even if thereís no specific law that says you canít... think of how this makes you stack up against other candidates. You will never be the only person applying for a job. If youíve got 10 people applying for a job and 9 of them arenít married to a violent felon whoís done hard time, guess where youíll rank?

Iím not a felon or a police officer and I can already think of like 6 nefarious things a criminal could do with access to the kind of information youíd have readily available in your home if you managed to get a job. Especially with the kind of naÔvetť youíre displaying about recidivism and violent crimes.

Thereís TONS of online police forums and lots of people have asked this question. Unequivocally, the police officers are saying ďhell, noĒ. Some specifically say thereís no way theyíd partner with someone married to a violent felon because it puts them and the whole station in danger. I think youíd do well to dig into those forums and get a real feel for your chances (theyíre piss-poor, and thatís being generous) before you spend years of studying and thousands in tuition to end up being a rent-a-cop on a Segway at the mall.
'Thanks For Your Opinion ! My Schooling Is Only Gonna Be 1/6 Months Not Years Lol , I Got My Information What I Needed From A Poilce Officer ! ! There's A Lot Who Have Dad's Mom's Sister's Kids Etc. Who Are Doing Hard Time Or Have A Violet Crimes But Yet Still Got Hire As A Poilce Officer Even Though Their Family Are e
Ex-Convicts Or Incarcerated . But Thanks Again
Old 06-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,173 Posts

If you can find it in your heart to stop typing like that, I would be enterally grateful. I only read your first post because it made me googly-eyed.

Anyway, I think youíve gotten some good info - lots of people in law enforcement or legal fields have loved ones in prison. Itís just a fact of life. Iím sure it comes with its own set of challenges but if you work hard and earn peopleís respect, Iím sure itíll become a non-issue. You arenít responsible for your husbandís choices and his incarceration doesnít have to impact your ability to be a great police officer.

Iím pretty sure my husband would DIE if I wanted to become a cop. I kinda want to pretend Iím thinking about it just to see his reaction
Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
If you can find it in your heart to stop typing like that, I would be enterally grateful. I only read your first post because it made me googly-eyed.

Anyway, I think youíve gotten some good info - lots of people in law enforcement or legal fields have loved ones in prison. Itís just a fact of life. Iím sure it comes with its own set of challenges but if you work hard and earn peopleís respect, Iím sure itíll become a non-issue. You arenít responsible for your husbandís choices and his incarceration doesnít have to impact your ability to be a great police officer.

Iím pretty sure my husband would DIE if I wanted to become a cop. I kinda want to pretend Iím thinking about it just to see his reaction
Yes I Have Gotta Some Good Information Thank God ! Yes Their Is A Lot Of Law Enforcement And Legal Fields Who Have Family/Love Ones Incarcerated But Yet Got The Job , Thank You For Your Nice Reply I Know I Can Do This/Get The Job , , Ah Yea My Husband Was The Same Way WAT............A COP ! BABE WTF REALLY 😂 God He Was In Shock But Yes He Is Supporting Me On My Career And Studying .
Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,224 Times in 6,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post

I haven't gone through your post history, but your profile indicates he has three years left on his sentence. Some things to think about:
You can't predict the future. When folks are in jail/prison, they're never going back. But when that cell door isn't restricting them anymore, it's a matter of circumstance and will power. He may not want to go back, but that's not the same as staying out.

How will you handle the smack talk from other LEO about criminals? Can you keep a closed mouth? Can you ignore it? Can you find tactful ways to shut them down? The scrutiny from general public can be brutal, but when they're your coworkers and it's their job to arrest people like our husbands, can you handle the inevitable 'locker room' talk?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-15-2018), His_Queen13 (06-15-2018), Nickel Timer (06-15-2018), Sarianna (06-16-2018), sidewalker (06-16-2018), xolady (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I haven't gone through your post history, but your profile indicates he has three years left on his sentence. Some things to think about:
You can't predict the future. When folks are in jail/prison, they're never going back. But when that cell door isn't restricting them anymore, it's a matter of circumstance and will power. He may not want to go back, but that's not the same as staying out.

How will you handle the smack talk from other LEO about criminals? Can you keep a closed mouth? Can you ignore it? Can you find tactful ways to shut them down? The scrutiny from general public can be brutal, but when they're your coworkers and it's their job to arrest people like our husbands, can you handle the inevitable 'locker room' talk?
Never Said I Can Predict The Future ! I Trust My Husband When He Tells Me I Don't Ever Or Will Come Back To This Place Again , This Is My Wake Up Call ! ! This Isn't My Life Style Or For Me , , I Know That Means He Won't Do Or Look For Anything That Will Get Him Lock Up Again .....To Be Honest As Long As Their Not Talking About My Husband I Can Keep My Month Shut/Ignore It/Handle The Inevitable .
Old 06-16-2018, 02:22 AM

Be positive I was. I previously worked in Law Enforcement as a investigator for 8 years. It was not a issue when I was hired as it was never brought up or asked whom I was married to. However when my husband paroled his parole officer questioned what I did for a living. He contacted my employer and told them I was married to a parolee. He did a home visit Wednesday I was let go by Friday. My job gave no real reason on record. But one the investigators told me his parole officer felt it was a conflict of interest. Best bet is to contact the Human Resource department to confirm what the policy is off record of course. Good luck. I have several degrees in Criminal Justice but the issue becomes a problem when they do the back ground
Investigations.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Apeespee33 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-21-2018), Marseille (06-16-2018), nimuay (06-16-2018), sidewalker (06-16-2018), WeepingWillow (06-16-2018)