Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Sb1393

Anybody following this bill or know what’s going on with it? I try and understand what’s going on but this stuff is like a foreign language to me
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_blank View Post
Anybody following this bill or know what’s going on with it? I try and understand what’s going on but this stuff is like a foreign language to me
Me tooo
The Following User Says Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
hogi2376 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,227 Times in 509 Posts

Interesting you ask. We have not been paying attention. Since Patrick's post here is latest 5 actions in legislature.
  • 08/16/18 Read second time. Ordered to third reading.
  • 08/15/18 From committee: Do pass. (Ayes 11. Noes 5.) (August 15).
  • 06/27/18 June 27 set for first hearing canceled at the request of author. 06/12/18 From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 5. Noes 2.) (June 12).
  • Re-referred to Com. on APPR. 05/25/18 Referred to Com. on PUB. S.
Most important 8/15 and 8/16. On 8/15 it passed appropriations on an 11 to 5 vote with 1 no-vote. That is a good thing, albeit not surprising as there is no fiscal impact (cost) involved and possible savings. So appropriations committee is happy. I have no idea why 5 of these committee members voted no. Stupid. Committee business relates to $ - appropriating funds from the general fund. Since no funds are being appropriated, they should have no objection. Just being ass hats voting no.

8/16 it got read a 2nd time in Assembly. Now it goes to 3rd reading and final vote in Assembly full floor where they will do their yelling, screaming, and pontificating. That apparently is scheduled for tomorrow - 8/20. You can go to Assembly website and listen to it live if you like to see how they vote.

I would guess authors Mitchell and Lara - plus the co-authors (there is a bunch of them) pulled it from committee hearing back in June because there was some problem and they were worried it would not pass. They negotiated with various assembly members and approp committee members to work out the problems then re-submitted this week and it appears to be going through.

So far. Tomorrow will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Interesting you ask. We have not been paying attention. Since Patrick's post here is latest 5 actions in legislature.
  • 06/27/18 June 27 set for first hearing canceled at the request of author. 06/12/18 From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 5. Noes 2.) (June 12).
Most important 8/15 and 8/16. On 8/15 it passed appropriations on an 11 to 5 vote with 1 no-vote. That is a good thing, albeit not surprising as there is no fiscal impact (cost) involved and possible savings. So appropriations committee is happy. I have no idea why 5 of these committee members voted no. Stupid. Committee business relates to $ - appropriating funds from the general fund. Since no funds are being appropriated, they should have no objection. Just being ass hats voting no.

8/16 it got read a 2nd time in Assembly. Now it goes to 3rd reading and final vote in Assembly full floor where they will do their yelling, screaming, and pontificating. That apparently is scheduled for tomorrow - 8/20. You can go to Assembly website and listen to it live if you like to see how they vote.

I would guess authors Mitchell and Lara - plus the co-authors (there is a bunch of them) pulled it from committee hearing back in June because there was some problem and they were worried it would not pass. They negotiated with various assembly members and approp committee members to work out the problems then re-submitted this week and it appears to be going through.

Will this be a retro active bill or only going forward with future sentencing
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post

Well, unless it was covered in the first hour, SB-1393 didn't make it in today... something on bail and revision of the process... the next call will be Thurs I believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanked 1,227 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogi2376 View Post
Will this be a retro active bill or only going forward with future sentencing
This bill does not have retroactive wording. Sometimes, after getting new law passed, same legislators introduce bills in subsequent years applying changes - like retroactive provision - to a law. Not saying that will happen here, no idea. I suspect authors did not attempt retroactive as that would have made this too difficult, maybe impossible, to pass due to cost and objections from other parties.

Get it passed now as is. See if anything happens next year or beyond.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (08-21-2018), hogi2376 (08-21-2018), qwerty (09-06-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 PM

He signed this bill not retroactive but still amazing. Hopefully there’s some kind of loop hole for it to apply to people already incarcerated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie_blank For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (10-01-2018), gvalliant (10-01-2018)