Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison This forum is for all those - family, friends, spouses, wives, husbands, significant others, brothers, sisters, parents, and children - who lost a loved one or friend while incarcerated.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:45 AM

Default Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison

We lost several loved ones while my baby brother was in prison.
Mother, brother and sister all passed away. You would think that this would be a turning point in a person's life losing all those siblings and mom at the same time back to back. Then we lost a brother-in-law recently in March and it was so devastating to me but all my baby brother could say is the rest of us should send him more money and access and that a lot of us did not even send him a sympathy card or words of sympathy when all of this happened. That is not exactly true, but it is how he sees the world.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 AM

I'm sorry he sees the world as he sees it. I guess it is time for a wake up call for him?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,624 Posts

Kind of feels like he's either totally closed off emotionally or (excuse my French) being a selfish azz...
Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,662 Posts

It's very difficult to be on the inside when a person you care about dies.

The same day that I found out my Dad was in the hospital with cancer, I went to visit him in the hospital. When I got home, there was a message on my answering machine from the wife of one of his friends saying that all "the guys" were really upset because he'd gone and no one would tell them why he hadn't come back or what was going on. That was the beginning of my correspondence with them. To keep them updated, every time I'd visit, I'd send them all an email telling them how Dad was doing.

One of "the guys" father died. He didn't find out for two weeks. No one sent him a sympathy card except for me. From his end, it felt like he'd simply been forgotten as a human being.

A different one of "the guys" just had has grandmother pass away. He'd known it was coming, but it still took a week before anyone from his family notified him. He was very close to his Grandmother.

Please bear in mind that without information from the family, the inmate is utterly in the dark. To find out weeks or months later that someone they loved passed away and no one bothered to tell them? To them, it feels like they are not only marginalized but not even worthy of the common decency of being told if one of their relatives has died.

I'm not saying that this is how your brother sees things, but having seen the emotional devastation to those incarcerated gives me more sympathy for odd behaviors when they do find out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-27-2016), fbopnomore (10-19-2016), patchouli (10-19-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 AM

This is sad because i remember 2 men who died of heart attacks and had wives who loved them and they just died..Minimum too..sad.. they had freedom at the doors...hope they called upon the LORD..they just dropped, early 60s or one late 50s i think