Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,224 Times in 6,906 Posts
Default LetterQuick Service Q&A/Update: LetterQuick is closed

LetterQuick is a service that acts as an alternate way to deliver messages, photos and pre-stamped envelopes and postcards to our loved ones in California.

For Centinela and Calipatria State Prisons, letters are printed at the facility and delivered with the regular mail. Letters received early in the day (roughly 10am) may be delivered same day, but next day is a safe bet. Click here and scroll down to see which facilities accept LetterQuick printed and mailed letters. Pricing can be found here.

From the LetterQuick site:
Why use LetterQuick?
  1. We are a fast, convenient alternative to sending letters through the US Postal Service. Sending a letter through LetterQuick is just as convenient as sending an email.
  2. We provide a delivery guarantee. If your letter does not arrive, weíll send another copy, or issue a refund.
  3. Our detailed order form will walk you through every step of the process. We will help you craft your letter so that it is in compliance with the CDCRís requirements.
  4. Your patronage supports a local small business that is working hard on your behalf to modernize the delivery of mail to inmates in California.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Trying this tonight
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Default LetterQuick could shut down

Hi Guys
Just thought I would let you know that letter quick is fighting for survival. They are trying to open new printing stations in more CA prisons, but need to show there is a need for this. Letter quick sends letters, stamped envelopes and photos, all good quality. If they have a printing station in the prison where your loved one is, the letter could be delivered the same day!!!!! Please support this company, it is cheap and quick. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linney444 For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-05-2017), Myevyb (02-22-2018), Sarianna (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney444 View Post
Hi Guys
Just thought I would let you know that letter quick is fighting for survival. They are trying to open new printing stations in more CA prisons, but need to show there is a need for this.
I saw this last night. I was able to use the print service at Calipatria and absolutely loved it. I miss it so much. Here is the email that LQ sent yesterday:

Hello, Iím the owner and founder of LetterQuick.

Many of you have been asking about the status of LetterQuick Ė was our pilot program successful, and will LetterQuick be made available at more California prisons?

In truth, we donít know. We havenít been informed of a decision by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). We are incredibly grateful to the CDCR for allowing us to launch our pilot at Calipatria (CAL) and Centinela (CEN) State Prisons; as a result of this pilot, we have been printing letters to inmates inside these prisons for over two and a half years. However, it has been a long time since we have received any indication that the CDCR will authorize LetterQuick to expand.

LetterQuick is an exceptional service which has had a positive impact on many lives, but we have only scratched the surface. If we receive clearance, we can install LetterQuick inside any prison during one short visit, at no cost to the prison. Letters sent to the prison can then be delivered to most inmates within one business day (often within the same day), because our system enables letters to be printed directly inside the prison mailroom. We have a proven, straightforward solution and weíre ready to take it statewide.

We are facing a dilemma because two prisons are not enough to sustain our business. LetterQuick is only available to 6% of the total state inmate population in California, and we need that number to be higher; otherwise, our sales volume will stay too low. Our service at CAL and CEN is likely to end if we do not receive permission to expand.

Small businesses close all the time. But in this case, we are not the coffee shop down the road Ė we are a team dedicated to making it easier for you to communicate with your loved one.

I donít have a silver bullet, but I know there is no path forward without your support and the support of the community.

If you think LetterQuick should be available at more prisons, I encourage you to express your thoughts to the CDCR Ė such as by writing a letter, placing a phone call, or channeling feedback through your Inmate Family Council. Remember to thank the CDCR for their willingness to support innovative small businesses, because their decision to work with us at CAL and CEN is the reason we exist today.

To contact the CDCRís Division of Adult Institutions:

Division of Adult Institutions
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
P. O. Box 942883
Sacramento, CA 94283

Tel: (916) 445-7688

Your local Public Information Officer (PIO) is listed here:
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/PIO_list/Adult_Institutions_Public_Information_Officers.pdf

To reach your Inmate Family Council:
http://www.statewide-ifc.com/about-us/contact-local-ifc/

Thank you for your continued support. I am hopeful that my next email to you will contain better news.

Sincerely,

Erik Smith
Owner, LetterQuick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (02-14-2018), Sarianna (01-05-2017)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Default Is letterquick still around?

I havenít seen anything posted but their website is till up. I wanted to purchase and send stamped envelopes, but donít want to get rigpped off. Anyone know??
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by didntcthiscomin View Post
I havenít seen anything posted but their website is till up. I wanted to purchase and send stamped envelopes, but donít want to get rigpped off. Anyone know??
We haven't been able to use them for the last year because he transferred to a non-supported facility, but when we did use them it was fantastic. I miss it and wish his current facility would allow them in.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
We haven't been able to use them for the last year because he transferred to a non-supported facility, but when we did use them it was fantastic. I miss it and wish his current facility would allow them in.
So you think they are still good to go? Heís at calipatria and just called asking for stamped envelopes and I donít have time to get to the post office.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
The Following User Says Thank You to didntcthiscomin For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by didntcthiscomin View Post
So you think they are still good to go? Heís at calipatria and just called asking for stamped envelopes and I donít have time to get to the post office.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
I think so. That's where we used it, Calipat. They have an option to send a message to the help desk at LQ. Might be worth verifying through there that they still service that facility. But if they do, it was a great option.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Fyi - they are still in business!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to didntcthiscomin For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-14-2018), Sarianna (02-15-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 PM
his one and only wife

Letterquick is still good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvly143 For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-16-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 PM

I was informed by LQ that they no longer send the letters to Centinela like they use too. They will still print it but send it by regular mail. I had credits left and since they have no idea as to when or if they will resume doing it as they did previously, I asked for a refund. At least that's the email I got.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,604 Posts
Default LetterQuick has closed their business

I discovered today whilst going to their website to login that LetterQuick is no longer in business

Their website has the following announcement:

"We regret to announce that LetterQuick has closed its doors. We have been proud to serve the community since 2012. However, our initial vision for LetterQuick included the expansion of our instant mailroom delivery service to all California state prisons, and we have been unable to reach that goal. Our business model was not viable while providing service to so few prisons.

Our website is no longer taking orders. If your LetterQuick account has unused credits which have not yet been refunded, you can contact us to request a refund"

I am sad for them as I think it was a great service but I suppose it is understandable that they had to close their doors as the business wasn't going where they had planned it to go - would have required more cooperation from CDCR and I guess (unsurprisingly) that support is just not there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-14-2018), sidewalker (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
I discovered today whilst going to their website to login that LetterQuick is no longer in business

Their website has the following announcement:

"We regret to announce that LetterQuick has closed its doors. We have been proud to serve the community since 2012. However, our initial vision for LetterQuick included the expansion of our instant mailroom delivery service to all California state prisons, and we have been unable to reach that goal. Our business model was not viable while providing service to so few prisons.

Our website is no longer taking orders. If your LetterQuick account has unused credits which have not yet been refunded, you can contact us to request a refund"

I am sad for them as I think it was a great service but I suppose it is understandable that they had to close their doors as the business wasn't going where they had planned it to go - would have required more cooperation from CDCR and I guess (unsurprisingly) that support is just not there.

I was super bummed to hear it too. It was so convenient for sending pictures instead of having to go pick them up at walgreens or something! What a bummer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshB2020 For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-14-2018), Sarianna (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshB2020 View Post
I was super bummed to hear it too. It was so convenient for sending pictures instead of having to go pick them up at walgreens or something! What a bummer.
You might want to check out Jmail - they offer a similar service and you can send photos & documents online for them to print out and mail through USPS

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
lulupine (09-18-2018), maytayah (09-14-2018), miamac (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Well this stinks. Their print-at-facility service was awesome and frankly, CDC is stupid to walk away from it. No mail opening/sorting/contraband concerns. But, this is the world we live in.

With that I'll say thank you LQ for the time you dedicated to keeping loved ones in touch and this thread is now closed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (09-14-2018), Sarianna (09-15-2018), sidewalker (09-15-2018)
Closed Thread