Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Welcome Home From Federal Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome Home From Federal Prison We WELCOME home our loved ones from Federal Prison - Threads of welcome and positive discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Home From Coleman, FL...

Ive been home a few months now... Had a 48 month sentence. Was at Coleman Low. Been through the RDAP as well as 6 months halfway house.

It wasnt fun but I came out a better person. My life is about back on track now and things are looking great....

If I can help anyone in anyway, please let me know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yogired22 For This Useful Post:
matrock130 (06-30-2015), Taralynn214 (06-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogired22 View Post
Ive been home a few months now... Had a 48 month sentence. Was at Coleman Low. Been through the RDAP as well as 6 months halfway house.

It wasnt fun but I came out a better person. My life is about back on track now and things are looking great....

Congratulations on coming home!!! I'm glad that you're life is getting back on track...and I wish you only great things!

My husband just SS'd to Coleman Low on Feb. 14th. He'll be there until August of 2012 (not accounting for HWH time; which who knows if he'll do because his sentence is only 18 months). He seems to be doing okay there. Any information you have on the place would be great. I'm close enough to visit every week, but I only see the visiting room, and the waiting area

Well I'm glad it sounds like everything is working out for you!

Good luck in the future.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Hey.. Well it seems like you have the visitation figured out already.. If not let me know..My wife came down often and had the place figured out...

As far as the prison goes, I will give you my point of view. Its not a bad place to do time. In fact, a lot of people that were sent there from camps (got a shot or disciplinary) say that its better than the camps..

The inmates are laid back. In the whole time I was there, I only saw 3-4 fights. Which is great considering there are 2200+ inmates. Most of the people there are going home soon and are pretty much behaving. Theres a good bit of sex offenders and they occaisionally are harrased. Since it apprears he is a white collar offender, like myself, he will have no problems and will maybe even make some friends.

The rec is great. has everything a college has. The programs and classes are plentiful. I have been a few places in my journey and time at Coleman goes quickly. The food was much better when I got there. IT has gone way down, but its still better than any county jail..

They have email, which is nice. The dorms are referred to as cubicles. The walls go up about 5.5 feet. Do you know what dorm he is in? I lived in C-3.. I can recommend a few good people for him to meet...

Theres good people in that prison. We all make mistakes. Some get caught, some never do. I had never been in trouble before this and would be quick to judge someone with a criminal past. I met legitimate millionaires in there and I met average people.. Not everyone in there is dangerous or even has a criminal mind..

I wish you and your husband the best. Its not that long he has to be there and it will go quick. Showing up to visit is so huge for morale when you are seperated. Send some mail.. Just do what you can to help make it easier... and when its done, its done and life goes on!

If you have any specific questions, just let me know. Id be more than happy to answer them..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yogired22 For This Useful Post:
bellisq (03-05-2011), CHIboy89 (03-02-2011), Willie'sQueen (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Hey.. Well it seems like you have the visitation figured out already.. If not let me know..My wife came down often and had the place figured out...

As far as the prison goes, I will give you my point of view. Its not a bad place to do time. In fact, a lot of people that were sent there from camps (got a shot or disciplinary) say that its better than the camps..

The inmates are laid back. In the whole time I was there, I only saw 3-4 fights. Which is great considering there are 2200+ inmates. Most of the people there are going home soon and are pretty much behaving. Theres a good bit of sex offenders and they occaisionally are harrased. Since it apprears he is a white collar offender, like myself, he will have no problems and will maybe even make some friends.

The rec is great. has everything a college has. The programs and classes are plentiful. I have been a few places in my journey and time at Coleman goes quickly. The food was much better when I got there. IT has gone way down, but its still better than any county jail..

They have email, which is nice. The dorms are referred to as cubicles. The walls go up about 5.5 feet. Do you know what dorm he is in? I lived in C-3.. I can recommend a few good people for him to meet...

Theres good people in that prison. We all make mistakes. Some get caught, some never do. I had never been in trouble before this and would be quick to judge someone with a criminal past. I met legitimate millionaires in there and I met average people.. Not everyone in there is dangerous or even has a criminal mind..

I wish you and your husband the best. Its not that long he has to be there and it will go quick. Showing up to visit is so huge for morale when you are seperated. Send some mail.. Just do what you can to help make it easier... and when its done, its done and life goes on!

If you have any specific questions, just let me know. Id be more than happy to answer them..
He told me about the sex offenders...he said he thinks it's like a sanctuary prison for them??? He told me what part he was in but I don't remember now. I'll see him again either Friday or Monday so I'll ask.

I live only an hour away so it's pretty easy for me to visit. He could have gone to a camp but he requested Coleman because of how close it is to our house.

Yes, he is in for a white collar offense...he definitely doesn't have a criminal mindset...he was a business owner that did what he had to do to keep people employed when times got hard. His indictment actually came as a total shock to both of us.

He said everyone seems pretty laid back. He's gotten a bit of "new guy" banter they all tell him horror stories about how their wives/girlfriends left them and so on.

The CO's actually seem pretty cool there as well. They're a lot nicer than I thought they would be. I don't know why I expected them to be mean?

He buys a lot of food from the commissary and cooks that because he's definitely not a fan of the food.

I guess there are a good amount of guys in there on drug offenses that took plea deals and ended up getting low security because of said deals.

I understand what you mean about judging felons, because I grew up in a family of cops, sheriff's, and wardens so it's hard to switch the mindset until you're actually dealing with it. I've become a lot more compassionate since this all happened.

Honestly the time is going quickly; it's already been 3 weeks and it feels like I dropped him off yesterday!

I did have one specific question? When are they eligible for HWH, and did you get out of HWH early and put on home confinement instead? Silly he's already in pre-release counseling and he hasn't even gone through orientation yet. His case worker said HWH when he only has 6 months left, and that if he's working within 2 weeks they'll kick him to an ankle monitor/home confinement. Also do you do your HWH time in your home state or the state you were convicted in? He was convicted in OH, but we live in FL that's why I'm asking. He was told by another inmate that it's the state you were tried and convicted in. It's federal so I didn't think it mattered, and I thought it would be silly to ship him to OH for 6 months when he's going to have to come back here anyway.

Anyway, thank you for all of the information...and I'm glad you made it home to your family!

Last edited by whitecollarwife; 03-02-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 AM

I have someone in Coleman Low as well. He has been there roughly a year now, not sure what unit exactly. He might have mentioned but I forgot. He plays guitar and works in the music room doing something that I don't remember. It's nice to meet other people with Coleman Low in common.

My first visit will be on the 14th of this month. I'm being dropped off, so I'm worried something will happen and I won't be able to do anything about it. I'm really nervous about that!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticKittie View Post
I have someone in Coleman Low as well. He has been there roughly a year now, not sure what unit exactly. He might have mentioned but I forgot. He plays guitar and works in the music room doing something that I don't remember. It's nice to meet other people with Coleman Low in common.

My first visit will be on the 14th of this month. I'm being dropped off, so I'm worried something will happen and I won't be able to do anything about it. I'm really nervous about that!

I always go to see my husband on Monday's so I'll be there that day. If you want to PM me we can set up a time to meet in front of the prison and I'll make sure you're okay. It's a high stress experience the first time because you don't know what you're doing, and you think the CO's are going to be mean, but they're not, and you'll be fine.

If you need anything let me know. What part of FL are you coming from?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarwife View Post
He told me about the sex offenders...he said he thinks it's like a sanctuary prison for them??? He told me what part he was in but I don't remember now. I'll see him again either Friday or Monday so I'll ask.

I live only an hour away so it's pretty easy for me to visit. He could have gone to a camp but he requested Coleman because of how close it is to our house.

Yes, he is in for a white collar offense...he definitely doesn't have a criminal mindset...he was a business owner that did what he had to do to keep people employed when times got hard. His indictment actually came as a total shock to both of us.

He said everyone seems pretty laid back. He's gotten a bit of "new guy" banter they all tell him horror stories about how their wives/girlfriends left them and so on.

The CO's actually seem pretty cool there as well. They're a lot nicer than I thought they would be. I don't know why I expected them to be mean?

He buys a lot of food from the commissary and cooks that because he's definitely not a fan of the food.

I guess there are a good amount of guys in there on drug offenses that took plea deals and ended up getting low security because of said deals.

I understand what you mean about judging felons, because I grew up in a family of cops, sheriff's, and wardens so it's hard to switch the mindset until you're actually dealing with it. I've become a lot more compassionate since this all happened.

Honestly the time is going quickly; it's already been 3 weeks and it feels like I dropped him off yesterday!

I did have one specific question? When are they eligible for HWH, and did you get out of HWH early and put on home confinement instead? Silly he's already in pre-release counseling and he hasn't even gone through orientation yet. His case worker said HWH when he only has 6 months left, and that if he's working within 2 weeks they'll kick him to an ankle monitor/home confinement. Also do you do your HWH time in your home state or the state you were convicted in? He was convicted in OH, but we live in FL that's why I'm asking. He was told by another inmate that it's the state you were tried and convicted in. It's federal so I didn't think it mattered, and I thought it would be silly to ship him to OH for 6 months when he's going to have to come back here anyway.

Anyway, thank you for all of the information...and I'm glad you made it home to your family!
Thats a true story. the sex offenders are protected there. Its just that laid back too...

As far as the hwh goes, its different at every one. You can tell him this though, none of the case managers or counselors know ANYTHING about the hwh...

You usually go to the HWH in the district you were sentenced in. However you can do a relocation with the case manager. The district you are trying to get to has to accept your case. It being a white collar crime wont be a problem.. They dont like to accept bank robbbers and violence..something about keeping the community safe..i cant imaging..

Anyhow, I had 6 months of hwh time. The hwh that I went to has a level program. You have to work for a certain amount of time and complete several passes before you are considered for home confinement. I started working the 3rd day I was there and went home exactly 2 months from the day I got there. You still go to the hwh to pay them their money every week and take a drug test.. I will tell you one thing that would have helped me had I known.Whatever telephone line you are going to use for the leg monitor ( they will ask for your bill every month) cannot have ANY features on it. It has to be just a basic line. It doesnt have to be a dedicated line, but it cant have anything...even caller ID was a no no...

Theres a lot of white collar guys too... I was one of them. I am fortunate and my business was able to continue...

Good luck to you. Its going to be time for him to come home soon..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thats a true story. the sex offenders are protected there. Its just that laid back too...

As far as the hwh goes, its different at every one. You can tell him this though, none of the case managers or counselors know ANYTHING about the hwh...

You usually go to the HWH in the district you were sentenced in. However you can do a relocation with the case manager. The district you are trying to get to has to accept your case. It being a white collar crime wont be a problem.. They dont like to accept bank robbbers and violence..something about keeping the community safe..i cant imaging..

Anyhow, I had 6 months of hwh time. The hwh that I went to has a level program. You have to work for a certain amount of time and complete several passes before you are considered for home confinement. I started working the 3rd day I was there and went home exactly 2 months from the day I got there. You still go to the hwh to pay them their money every week and take a drug test.. I will tell you one thing that would have helped me had I known.Whatever telephone line you are going to use for the leg monitor ( they will ask for your bill every month) cannot have ANY features on it. It has to be just a basic line. It doesnt have to be a dedicated line, but it cant have anything...even caller ID was a no no...

Theres a lot of white collar guys too... I was one of them. I am fortunate and my business was able to continue...

Wow, he was sentenced in OH 9th District I think It was federal obviously? So that means that they would send him to an HWH up there even though his actual house and family are here? I hope his case worker will work with him on that because he doesn't have anybody up there. Well his parents are but they're in their late 70's and couldn't do much for him. Not to mention the relationship isn't exactly up to snuff.

I'll have to let him know about this so that he can talk to the case worker because I think he'd request to stay at Coleman the whole time instead of HWH time at all if that's the case and they didn't accept him here. He didn't rob a bank or anything though, so we don't have that to worry about.

I'm glad that your business is still running and everything worked out well for you. His business closed back in 06' and we had to start all over, it was going well up until this happened, but then now he'll have to start all over again!!!

Thanks for the well wishes and all of the information; I really appreciate it
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, he was sentenced in OH 9th District I think It was federal obviously? So that means that they would send him to an HWH up there even though his actual house and family are here? I hope his case worker will work with him on that because he doesn't have anybody up there. Well his parents are but they're in their late 70's and couldn't do much for him. Not to mention the relationship isn't exactly up to snuff.

I'll have to let him know about this so that he can talk to the case worker because I think he'd request to stay at Coleman the whole time instead of HWH time at all if that's the case and they didn't accept him here. He didn't rob a bank or anything though, so we don't have that to worry about.

I'm glad that your business is still running and everything worked out well for you. His business closed back in 06' and we had to start all over, it was going well up until this happened, but then now he'll have to start all over again!!!

Thanks for the well wishes and all of the information; I really appreciate it

I didnt mean to scare you about the relocation.. theres really nothing to it. He will get accepted no problem. They look at your crime, but moreso what ties you have to the area. Since his family is there, they are going to approve it... It just takes a few weeks for it to happen...I didnt mean to make it sound like it takes an act of congress for it to happen...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I didnt mean to scare you about the relocation.. theres really nothing to it. He will get accepted no problem. They look at your crime, but moreso what ties you have to the area. Since his family is there, they are going to approve it... It just takes a few weeks for it to happen...I didnt mean to make it sound like it takes an act of congress for it to happen...
No worries, it's just one more thing to add to the pile I wasn't even thinking about. I already told him to talk to his case worker when I went to see him yesterday.

He's really sick, glands the size of golf balls, and he's completely lost his voice. He said it take 5-7 days to see a doctor there. Have any advice on that?

Hope your weekend was good, thanks for all of the info
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No worries, it's just one more thing to add to the pile I wasn't even thinking about. I already told him to talk to his case worker when I went to see him yesterday.

He's really sick, glands the size of golf balls, and he's completely lost his voice. He said it take 5-7 days to see a doctor there. Have any advice on that?

Hope your weekend was good, thanks for all of the info

the medical there sucks. I ended up having to spend a week at the hospital in Ocala due to their negligence.. but... He has to go to sick call and then they schedule it based on their opinion of the severity..unfortunately you have to do the sick call thing first. The best way to get seen quicker if he is really sick is to go to his counselor or case manager.. sometimes the guards will call over also.. The lady that runs the medical is a real B6&^*^.....I know the counselor or case managers in the C upper units will call for you. I had them get me in quicker a few times.. Getting sick there sucks... I had MRSA that almost cost me my arm.....I finally had to go in on a saturday when they have public health nurses opposed to prison staff. The guy was cool and I was at the ER in 2 hours..

usually someone around him will have some meds from when they were sick.. most people there are willing to help out...against the rules, but you do what you have to do in there..
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM

My husband is currently waiting to be transfered and we are hoping for coleman Low as it is the closest one to us. He was sentenced in the orlando district and is currently awaiting transfer out of seminole county. I am wondering if any of you who are currently at coleman Low were actually from right around here. Or is it just luck of the draw?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Thanks for sharing the info.

Quote:

Thanks for providing some information on Coleman Low. Been trying to get some good information for a bit. My fiance has been out in Texas for the past 2 1/2 years. He is requesting a transfer and we are hoping he can get to Coleman as it is closest to home. Has 24 months left and hoping last 6 will be HWH. Sounds like conditions are pretty similar to low he has been in in Texas. He was lucky enough to get a job in the education department teaching GED classes. The first place he was at, the only thing he could get was cleaning up in the rec yard. Again, thanks for the information.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw70fl View Post
My husband is currently waiting to be transfered and we are hoping for coleman Low as it is the closest one to us. He was sentenced in the orlando district and is currently awaiting transfer out of seminole county. I am wondering if any of you who are currently at coleman Low were actually from right around here. Or is it just luck of the draw?
Hi, how are you? I just wanted to let you know that my husband was sentenced in OH and ended up at Coleman Low because we live just north of Orlando. We got very, very lucky that he was allowed to serve his sentence so close to home. His atty had requested Coleman, and the judge and BOP didn't have a problem with it I guess? But I also hear a lot of stories on here of people that weren't so lucky so I don't know. I hope that you all get lucky like we did. It's hard enough having somebody you love in prison; I can't imagine having to worry about them being out of state as well.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Question How was your experience for at home confinement?

Quote:

My Hubby (charged with white-collar crime) is going to HWH in the next month, and is anticipated being there as many as 4 weeks. After this he has 6 months of at-home confinement. what type of experience can I expect? I've heard about the middle-of-the-night phone calls and those that have an ankle monitor vs. those who do not. What about occasions when he is allowed to leave the home. Other than work, can he go to church, doctor's appointments (his own or mine, the kids', etc)? I'm sure that he will have to ask for permission from the officer he will report to, but I'm just curious to see how rigid or lenient they tend to be with these requests.

Thank you!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Married 5/09/2014

When you are on home confinement, you will still have to put in passes and get them approved to go anywhere. He can work and he will have to call before he leaves home and tell them he is on the way and call when he gets there. Same thing when he leaves work. They will indeed call in the middle of the night and at least once per shift or 3 times a day or so at random times. It is still a bit restrictive but better than being at the hwh or in prison. All hwh are a bit different but the one my husband was in, you had to get a job before you could go home for the weekends. The "weekends" being whichever 2 days a week you choose. You then have to pay them 25% of your gross pay and you can ask for them to cut it down to 10% after you get home confinement. We also did home confinement for 6 months and had 6 months of hwh weekends before that and it can be very trying on you but again, still better than prison. Even though he would be on home confinement, they still consider you in the hwh and if he doesn't pass all the drug tests and account for his whereabouts, meaning bringing in receipts from the places you went on his passes, they can and will make him come back to the hwh as you are still in BOP custody. My husband had to go into the hwh once a week and take his receipts, put in passes and take a drug test.

Last edited by SoulsCollide; 06-28-2015 at 09:11 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoulsCollide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-28-2015), veeelay (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,981 Times in 11,675 Posts

The answer may depend on who is supervising his home confinement. If he is approved for HC during his HWH time, the HWH will supervise him. Mine was no ankle monitor, an early requirement that I have a pass approved for any time I would leave the house (which was quickly modified to a 6PM to 6AM curfew instead) and a phone call in the middle of every night. I was also called back to the HWH for meetings, drug tests, etc.

The 6 months home confinement portion of his sentence may be monitored by either the HWH, or by US Probation. Which one may depend on his bop end of sentence date. Once he is "out of bop custody", the HWH will be finished, including the requirement that he pay 25% of his gross job income to them. US Probation does have POs assigned to supervise folks on "home confinement", but he will have to be told which category he is in.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Talking I've met the PO for his HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The answer may depend on who is supervising his home confinement. If he is approved for HC during his HWH time, the HWH will supervise him. Mine was no ankle monitor, an early requirement that I have a pass approved for any time I would leave the house (which was quickly modified to a 6PM to 6AM curfew instead) and a phone call in the middle of every night. I was also called back to the HWH for meetings, drug tests, etc.

The 6 months home confinement portion of his sentence may be monitored by either the HWH, or by US Probation. Which one may depend on his bop end of sentence date. Once he is "out of bop custody", the HWH will be finished, including the requirement that he pay 25% of his gross job income to them. US Probation does have POs assigned to supervise folks on "home confinement", but he will have to be told which category he is in.
His PO came by my apartment to see if it will be "suitable" and meets all of the requirements last year. I advised h that we would be moving and he told me to update him when that happened so we could inspect the new place. I've called, and he never came. He also told me that he would have to pay $150 per month (I'm hoping this is not on top of the 25% of his income). I'm sure that it will be a major adjustment for us to walk the line for all of these rules and restrictions. Thank you and SoulsCollide for your information. I've noticed that the BOP enjoys keeping everyone in the dark for as long as possible. I called the HWH for details, and they said his counselor will give him info, but the counselor only gives instructions on the furlough time to transport him to HWH and what he is allowed to have once there (so I've been told). I pray they give us ample time because I've got to stop and stretch my back during the normally 8 hr drive time!

Anyway, I feel a lot better with information on my side. Thank you both!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,981 Times in 11,675 Posts

Again, my case only. The US Probation Officer conducted a "home inspection visit" while I was still in prison, and approved it. That is a good thing, not only for home confinement, but also where he will be allowed to live while he is on supervised release.

When I got to the HWH, I called my PO. He told me I would not be on his caseload until I finished my prison sentence, so I should ask my questions to the HWH staff. I never had any "fees" while on probation, but enforcing a payment plan for unpaid court fees, fines and restitution will become a "condition of supervised release".

I have no idea if probation supervision fees have been added in the past few years, only that I never was charged any federal probation fees.