Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Welcome Home From Federal Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome Home From Federal Prison We WELCOME home our loved ones from Federal Prison - Threads of welcome and positive discussion

Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Banned

Default Federal Halfway house....Not always a good thing..

Ok so all the while my three+ years in a Federal prison was going by I looked forward to Halfway House. I didnt listen to the horror storys/what a screw story it was, and all the advice from people who had either left or been to one before. They explained, that if you are comfortable (ie. not in such a nasty prison that you are in danger constantly etc) you should just take the hit and stay in a few extra months. I WISH I HAD, I got full 6 months(tried for the second chance 12, god what a nightmare that would have been) and I HATE HH, wish I had just stayed (I was at camp, if your in a scum pit low/max/medium then HH wont seem so bad, but plenty of people I met at the HH, WERE in those higher security level prisons and STILL wish they had stayed in for the extra months...)

SOME FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW:

1. You will have to pay the 25% from your check the whole HH time, homeconfinement included. FROM gross, not Net pay.

2. There are a ton of work restrictions. For instance you cant do delivery to, or work at residences,(say installing carpet in private homes..)...I was told "If the people found out you were a felon they could acuse you of stealing, its for your own protection" YEAH RIGHT...Total BS.You cant work any where another resident works that may have a superior position over you, like if another resident is a Manager, and you work under them as an employee.

3. You cant work any temp services unless they pay by check.

4. They want to be able to reach you by phone anytime at your shift, there is some flexability on this, construction workers I have known who have a cell phone, have to call in several times during there shift to keep the HH posted, ie going to lunch, moving sites etc.

5. They want to verify in writting that the employer knows you are a felon.

6. They will call you directly (if they can) or your boss once per shift.

7. You have a 100 mile range limit from the HH to work.

8. You can go to the gym, shop, look for work. HOWEVER, any travel, (you are allowed 1.5 hours a week to do your shopping) going to work etc. Requires an itinerary put in three days in advance, for approval. I know it does not sound all that bad, its a pain in the ass. ITINERARYS ARE EVERY DAY EVEN IF YOU ARE DOING NOTHING! You are expected to call from a PAYPHONE only, upon arrival ANYWHERE on your itinerary, and departure. You can use a land line at the place you are going to if they let you. Thats a total hassle, payphones are all but obsolete. And you need some evidence that you actually went to where you said, business card, flyer, hell even a pen or some such. YOU WILL FORGET to call, and get these items from time to time, the system if flawed, so get ready for extra duty and hassle. ALSO there are simply too many calls to keep track of everyone accurately, THEY will screw up and not write down that you called at least once. AND its then on you.

9. SOME HH, are actually county prisons. Like in Jersey, so when you get back to the prison from work, get strip searched and then into your stylish orange jumper, and into the animal pens... its no fun. BONUS especially with Jersey HH, they like the $100 a day the feds give them for housing you, SO they will try and keep you from Homeconefinement as long as possible. They make you take all there BS pre-release classes before Homeconfinement too. They get paid per each inmate that passes, these classes. Yeah its about rehabilitation my arse...

10. They dont allow you to cook, or store any food in your room or in the kitchen.

11. The meals are not terrible, just repetative, like EVERY day lunch is sandwiches.

12. You can get a car at SOME HH's. Its for work ONLY, you have to use public trans for shopping and NO one but you or direct family is allowed to ride in your car. Obviously they have to catch you. But they do have staff that drive around trying to "bust" residents. I have seen several folks "go back" for violating this.

13. Visits at the HH are a joke. They are three times a week for 1.5-2 hours.

Now understand some of these things vary from HH to HH. And I am only writing about the one VERY uptight strict one I was at. Although many things I mentioned are universal BOP, HH rules.

OH so get this, a lot will claim no CHO-MO's, but they will house them anyway.

I will cut this short, to see what kind of responses I get, if any. ASK any questions you want.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 AM

i know a few guys that refused hh. if u had 6 months hh, u would do those 6 months in the SHU for refusing a program. when a person would rather spend 23 hours a day in a room the size of a closet, it says a lot about hh.
i did 6 weeks hh, it sucked, but i thought it was better than prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to WBGStrap For This Useful Post:
DeniseDyann (12-20-2017)
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Vegas HWH has none of this stuff.. Is way easy and lenient and I would have NEVER opted to stay in over being there.. The Vegas HWH NEVER calle dmy work, ever.. I was required to call in a few times per shift from the work number, but that is normal.

We also were allowed cell phones and lap tops and they had wi-fi until peole were d/ling movies and mp3's, then I had to get a Wi-max card for my laptop.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM

some HWHs dont allow cell phones. Also, the HWH I was at also held pretrial people, as well as people who were there for violation of SR. They had, according to some people, stricter than most HWH because they took inmates that other HWHs wouldnt, including SOs. (Honestly i dont think its a huge issue if they take inmates with certian charges, and it would be a lot better if inmates would stop getting all worked up because so and so is in for this or that)
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM

How do you get from the bus to the hwh? Can someone take you or do they pick you up?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM

When your released from the facility.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Donation Award 

My husband had a furlough so I could drive him from camp to hwh.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

You can take a bus to the HH from prison. They will give you a furlough for this. You can also have a friend or family member drive you. I have heard of the "bus trick", you say you are taking the bus and they give you like a huge 1(day) to whatever it takes, to get to the HH. Then you go and get on the bus, get off at the first stop and have a friend/family member pick you up and take you to the HH. The bus with all its stops take infinitely more time to get you to the HH, with a friend now driving you you can use that time to spend with them.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Account Closed

Not everybody is approved for family to drive them from prison to HWH.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 851 Posts

Mark,

In HH, did you have family or somebody local or were you pretty much on your own trying to get started again? I've heard that once you have a job, the residents can actually go home to visit for an afternoon or something. When you go shopping or job hunting, is a friend allowed to take you if they have been on your visitors list while inside? I am 'sponsoring' a friend of mine when he gets out and he will be coming to live with me so I'm curious about how we can best plan his transition.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,953 Times in 11,665 Posts

Here's a link to a federal HWH rules handbook. There may be minor differences between this HWH and the one where your friend ends up, but since the bop is still in charge, the restrictions are pretty much the same everywhere.

http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/docs/corrections/bop.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
bellisq (10-10-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 01:02 PM

ok so my brother is in florence federal prison,and he was denied halfway house. does anyone know why this would happen?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM

I would just like to comment on the "BUS RIDE" home and have a family member pick you up. If you were to do something of that nature and you have an accident, you could be consider an escapee and receive an additional 18 months. This was explained to us in a pre-release class. AND your family member who picked you up could be charged also. So, just get the furlough or ride the bus, whichever is best for your situation.

Tried&True: I was only given a 3 hour shopping pass when I first arrived at the HWH. I could not go anywhere for two weeks, except for job seeking. Once I got a job I was allowed to go to my pass site (home) for 24 hours, then the next weekend 36 hours and then 54 for every weekend there after until my home confinement date. Every HWH is different, but most have this two week and job requirement rule, prior to you going to the pass site.

Last edited by peaNpod; 09-18-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 851 Posts

Tried&True: I was only given a 3 hour shopping pass when I first arrived at the HWH. I could not go anywhere for two weeks, except for job seeking. Once I got a job I was allowed to go to my pass site (home) for 24 hours, then the next weekend 36 hours and then 54 for every weekend there after until my home confinement date. Every HWH is different, but most have this two week and job requirement rule, prior to you going to the pass site.[/quote]

Thanks. Guess amonut of time for a pass varies from HH to HH. The HH is only about 20 minutes from home so I can visit most afternoons.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Ok YES, the "Bus Trick" is not without risk. I was going to have two cars come to grab me from the first bus stop for the ride to my HH town. Just incase of some mishap. I promise you the 5-10 hours without having to call anyone that you could get with the "bus trick" may be worth the risk.

You have to realize the central message, that I am trying to convey, is the HH IS NOT FREEDOM. Visiting while at the HH sucks, its like 1.5-2.5 hours twice a week, and no real privacy. You will be pretty much free when and if you get Homeconfinement. HOWEVER home and work and thats pretty much it. They allow you 2-3 hours of shopping a week and 2 hours a day for "personal" stuff like a movie/restaurant and once a week you can take 4 hours personal time. Thats when you are on homeconfinement, AND you have to call in every 2 hours and when you leave the movies or restaurant etc AND call agian when you get home. ALSO they will call you 2 times a day at home to spot check and one of those calls will be between 3-5am EVERY day, you are also expected to call in to them from your home phone number(which cant be blocked) once a day. You will STILL have to pay the 25% of your check while on homeconfinement, in addition to rent and bills. You can request to lower the amount you pay, I have seen them drop it to 15%.

Hmm couple other things, you get picked up for something while in HH say shop lifting, a domestic, Hell, J-walking, DUI etc etc And you get hauled off to the station for booking....THE HALFWAY HOUSE REGISTERS YOU AS AN ESCAPE...for not reporting back to the HH on time regardless that you are in the custody of the cops. I know what you are going to say.."But I was with the cops.." Yeah does not matter, they can still register you as escaped. Im sure when it all boils down you wont get the escape charge, but think of the hassle.

They are now charging posession of a cell phone at HH's that dont allow them (except for work) as if you had a cell "inside", meaning yes you could catch another charge.

Ok just trying to make it clear, 80%, and Im not making this up, of the people I was at the HH with hated it and wished they had less HH time, OR had stayed in till the where released to probation.

Mark
Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 AM

they apply the new rule on phones to HWH? Did not know. When I was at one back in 09 on pretrial they didnt even send people back if they got caught with em. I guess that was before the rule change from the BoP.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Entitled

Mark, you are absolutely right. My honey gets released from HWH on Thurs, but it sure hasn't been a cake walk. He had way more freedom at the camp.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Mark,

My fiance will be released to a halfway house in a yr he's in minnesota will they bring him back to illinois and he enter one here? Or will he go to one in minnesota?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,953 Times in 11,665 Posts

The HWH will be in the jurisdiction where he will be released, which is the one where he was convicted unless he requests, and is approved, for a different release location. If he wants a change, he needs to make a request to his unit team early enough for probation in both places to have time to process it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Donation Award 

Troys - If he winds up in Chicago we can tell you about that HWH.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 PM

the nature of his charge could impact where he goes also, since some HWH wont take violent offenders.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the replys!! I appreciate the feed back He's a non-violent offender he was telling like its a gud thing however after reading diff post it seems like not to many inmates are happy with a hwh lol he's been dwn 6yrs so I kno he'll won't hesitate one bit lol
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM

What's the rules on phone calls in a HWH?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Donation Award 

I think it varies by HWH but my husband was allowed to have a cell phone. Plus there were pay phones.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 PM

were I was at they did not allow cell phones. They had i believe 7 pay phones, and while the rules said only 15 minutes per call, this was NEVER enforced. There were people, myself included, who would be on the phone for hours at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuckinperg For This Useful Post:
tinkntaz (11-19-2011)