Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Welcome Home From Federal Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome Home From Federal Prison We WELCOME home our loved ones from Federal Prison - Threads of welcome and positive discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM

Default Question about release day and driving to HWH

I am picking up my brother from an FCI and transporting him to his designated HWH. We have been given 11 hours, it should be cutting it pretty close. My first question is about the release day. He said that I am to pick him up at 8am. What is this process like? Do I go inside and have to wait, show my ID, etc? I sent in everything they requested, such as a copy of my license, insurance card, car info, etc. It was approved. My sister is going to ride with me since it's a 10 hour drive to go pick him up. It only asked for the driver's information so I didn't include her information. Is it going to be okay that she's in the car, too? There was nothing that stated she can't be with us and it didn't ask information for anyone else in the car.

Also, what should he bring to the halfway house? I called and they said he could bring 5 changes of clothes and toiletries. Does he need towels, a pillow or anything?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED......THANK YOU!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,973 Times in 11,671 Posts

He will have two phone numbers to call in case of any problems (car, whatever) in route, the prison and the HWH. Someone who has been through the process of picking someone up at a bop prison will have to answer the rest of your questions.

The towel/pillow answer will be HWH specific. My HWH provided them.

Have him ask his case manager about your sister coming along. I doubt that it will be a problem, but zero surprises are definitely the way to go.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Donation Award 

I never went inside when I picked my husband up. He had been told that I should just park by the main door and wait. He should ask where you should park.

I agree that he should ask about another passenger. Ten hours is a long drive to be told that he can't leave with you.

Bedding, towels were provided at the HWH. Take what they said and you can take other items later as needed. Ask HWH if he can have a cell phone and, if he can, pick up a cheap one. I got one for about $20 at Walgreens and bought minutes.

Call HWH if you will be even 5 minutes late. We made it in time and we were able to stop to get something to eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to krogersrn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Default picking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorich13 View Post
I am picking up my brother from an FCI and transporting him to his designated HWH. We have been given 11 hours, it should be cutting it pretty close. My first question is about the release day. He said that I am to pick him up at 8am. What is this process like? Do I go inside and have to wait, show my ID, etc? I sent in everything they requested, such as a copy of my license, insurance card, car info, etc. It was approved. My sister is going to ride with me since it's a 10 hour drive to go pick him up. It only asked for the driver's information so I didn't include her information. Is it going to be okay that she's in the car, too? There was nothing that stated she can't be with us and it didn't ask information for anyone else in the car.

Also, what should he bring to the halfway house? I called and they said he could bring 5 changes of clothes and toiletries. Does he need towels, a pillow or anything?

I picked up my daughter. I was told to arrive a bit before 8 a.m. and that she would be brought out at 8:00. I had to park in the parking lot that we had used for visitation...there was a phone I was to pick it up and let who ever was on the other end know I was there and who I was there for. There was not a problem with having another person in the car with us. They mainly want to make sure the driver and the car are legal. Each halfway house is different. They will tell him when he gets there what he can have. It is a bit of a rough transition. Best wishes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2015), Jules966 (02-25-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM

When I was released, it was supposed to be done at 8:00am. I waited until 8:20am. My wife waited in the car. I walked over from the camp to the detention center, waited outside until they called for me (the guy doing releases was late for work that day).

My wife was in the car, but I could have had several people in the car and they wouldn't have known. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance. Is it a violation to have others in the car? If so, will they revoke your hwh time for it? Me personally, I think it would be okay. Nobody from the prison was tailing us from the time I left the prison doing the 5 hour drive to the HWH. And at the HWH, they didn't know much there. So, if you have friends in the car, I think you'll be fine.

My wife and I stopped at a hotel for about :45. Nothing was ever said.

As for stuff at the HWH, he should have been given a packet on what is accepted at the HWH, what he can bring, etc. Refer to that on what he can have with him. I was provided with a pillow, blanket, pillow case, etc., but since many others used that stuff before hand, I choose to get my own pillow and pillow case once I was at the HWH. They tried to say it wasn't fire retardant, but I told them it was and showed them the label. They let me keep it.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb75 For This Useful Post:
Jules966 (02-25-2015), veeelay (06-27-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorich13 View Post

My family wasnt allowed in when I was released, they waited in the parking lot and I just walked out and got in the car. As far as stuff to bring, they dont have a lot of space at most hwh so bring minimal. you can always get a hygiene pass to go to wal mart the first couple days you are there. dont bring any pillows or blankets, they will supply those. I just brought some toiletries and a couple changes of clothes... oh and a cell phone. I got a cheap track phone from walmart and they might not let you have it at first but usually after they check it out they will give it to you so you can find a JOB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ward1066 For This Useful Post:
Jules966 (02-25-2015), mimmis1 (09-16-2015)