Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Default 30 prisoners moved from Limon CF to Sterling yesterday (8/2) from Incentive

I just received a call from my friend who said he was just moved yesterday from Limon CF to Sterling! There was no explanation, only rumors that Sterling would build a new Incentive unit, but that may take months to finish we think!

Does anyone know what is going on? There is no press release or anything on the CO DOC site about this.

It seems like a waste of taxpayers money to build one Incentive unit in Limon, and then move 30 people out to another place.

Also, these are all Medium classified prisoners, they are worried they may be locked up in close custody (they are now being held in a sort of reception unit).

If any of you know what is happening, please respond, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterLadybird View Post
I just received a call from my friend who said he was just moved yesterday from Limon CF to Sterling! There was no explanation, only rumors that Sterling would build a new Incentive unit, but that may take months to finish we think!

Does anyone know what is going on? There is no press release or anything on the CO DOC site about this.

It seems like a waste of taxpayers money to build one Incentive unit in Limon, and then move 30 people out to another place.

Also, these are all Medium classified prisoners, they are worried they may be locked up in close custody (they are now being held in a sort of reception unit).

Don't look for any press release about the move - it's no big thing. All prison have the incentive units (even CSP). I know at AV they asked for volunteers to be moved to other facilities incentive pods. When they didn't have enough volunteers, they started making the selections on their own.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
Don't look for any press release about the move - it's no big thing. All prison have the incentive units (even CSP). I know at AV they asked for volunteers to be moved to other facilities incentive pods. When they didn't have enough volunteers, they started making the selections on their own.
What's an incentive unit?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 AM

Thank you Nancy, it is just so unexpected, and what if i had made travel arrangements to visit and ...

Anyway, his casemanager was trying to get him to a better / less bad place and now this, and having to build up your life again for the xth time.

His worry was: if you are medium classified, you have to be in a medium yard, but they are now in a close custody yard as we understand. I hope they will move them internally then, because otherwise we will have to make some noise to keep the prison to its own "rules"...

An incentive yard, i do not really know what that is, and i also heard they did not always have enough volunteers, but they certainly did not ask him! Something with "more possibilities for more programs" or so. A kind of "honordorm" that not everyone wants to go to since there are also protective custody people going there, i understand (but maybe i misunderstood).

Thank you anyway!!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:20 PM

The incentive units have many perks but it's very expensive to live in. For example, they get to order outside food at least once a month. They're packages from Union Supply are $100 vs. the $50 that everyone else gets to order. Also, they get "late night" on Friday and Saturday nights - they get to stay up until midnight (including using the phone). At AV, they get to walk freely within the unit and the unit has several vending machines (including food and ice cream). They can also purchase more canteen and tokens then the general population. They have DVD players and video games (xbox, WII, GameCube). When the facility is in lockdown, they are allowed out of their cells and can hang out in the pod. One of the best perks is that because it is an honor unit, there is less drama and the pods are VERY quiet.

Being in the unit/program is voluntary. They have to sign a contract saying that they agree to the rules. They have to work or go to school and have to be write up free for a year. They also have to agree to work in the event that the facility goes on full lock down (like doing maintenance or working in the kitchen). Like I said, it's a voluntary program so you can request to leave the unit at any time.

If they are moved to a higher custody level facility, they will have different yard times than the general population.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 PM

Default Son was among the 89 inmates moved to Sterling from Limon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterLadybird View Post

My son is among the 89 inmates moved to Sterling. The entire incentive unit from Limon was moved here. I spoke with him last evening, again and he states nothing is being done to improve the conditions they are living in, he says they are terrible, filthy, guards are antagonizing the men , mattresses are like cardboard. No one is sleeping and things are getting tense. These men have worked hard to be Medium classified and now this..!!
My son states:
He feels like Hes being punished for doing the right thing in his sentence, he is being treated like he has done something wrong. They are ALL being treated like they are a management problems He feels like he's going backward.
The guards are making them go into the lockdown units to serve trays and the inmates in those areas are not happy these guys are "helping the guards" the system is setting them up to be targets and if they refuse they are being threatened they'll be sent to the hole and will go into close custody. There is something Majorly wrong with this picture!! Family members, loved ones, Friends, start making calls to Sterling or DOC Administration.
Doc site----contact us-----Questions | Concerns | Complaints
Old 09-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaxwell View Post
My son is among the 89 inmates moved to Sterling. The entire incentive unit from Limon was moved here. I spoke with him last evening, again and he states nothing is being done to improve the conditions they are living in, he says they are terrible, filthy, guards are antagonizing the men , mattresses are like cardboard. No one is sleeping and things are getting tense. These men have worked hard to be Medium classified and now this..!!
My son states:
He feels like Hes being punished for doing the right thing in his sentence, he is being treated like he has done something wrong. They are ALL being treated like they are a management problems He feels like he's going backward.
The guards are making them go into the lockdown units to serve trays and the inmates in those areas are not happy these guys are "helping the guards" the system is setting them up to be targets and if they refuse they are being threatened they'll be sent to the hole and will go into close custody. There is something Majorly wrong with this picture!! Family members, loved ones, Friends, start making calls to Sterling or DOC Administration.
Doc site----contact us-----Questions | Concerns | Complaints
This is an old thread.... I heard that they were moving inmates around (again). There is the incentive unit at Sterling. These guys work in areas where the general pop inmates are not allowed to work (ie kitchen). They also moved several more inmates to CSP incentive unit. Those guys do the same - work in the kitchen, laundry, etc. Your son can always ask to be moved out of the incentive unit. That's what my husband did. He said the "incentives" were not worth the peace of mind he has now.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
This is an old thread.... I heard that they were moving inmates around (again). There is the incentive unit at Sterling. These guys work in areas where the general pop inmates are not allowed to work (ie kitchen). They also moved several more inmates to CSP incentive unit. Those guys do the same - work in the kitchen, laundry, etc. Your son can always ask to be moved out of the incentive unit. That's what my husband did. He said the "incentives" were not worth the peace of mind he has now.
Nancyginnm,
Where did your husband move to?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaxwell View Post
Nancyginnm,
Where did your husband move to?
He stayed at AVCF, just moved out of the incentive unit. He is much happier now!