Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM

Default SS in less than a week...

Any last minute tips or words of advice?? I will be SS to Alderson on Tuesday the 13th.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,133 Times in 11,755 Posts

Take a photocopy, or a duplicate ID, an original will probably be lost forever. Fund your bop commissary/phone/email account in advance so you will have funds available when you are able to use them. If you have medical issues, take documentation from your real doctor to give to prison medical, and mail another copy of it (plus addresses, phone numbers of friends & family) to yourself at the prison. If you have questions about how phones or commissary limits work, I can explain them to you.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,623 Times in 14,979 Posts

Write down all the user names and passwords for sites you frequent....we'll be looking for you to post, letting us know you're HOME!

Have a safe & speedy journey.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
beckers (04-10-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 AM

I too SS May 4th for 15 months,,,Thought maybe it would be Carswell since I have health issues,,,but dont know where yet..Wonder how long it takes to get a letter or info where to SS? I am in Missouri,,,No where is close..Been 4 weeks since sentencing,,,Best wishes good luck,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to dcrc50 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-11-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM

Default Going to Carswell

I also SS on May 1, 2015 to Carswell. Wanted to know how the HWH and Home confinement works. My sentence is a year and a day. Going to Carswell bcs I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis which affects my lungs.
Thanks for previous post.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You will earn 47 days of good time off of your 1+1 sentence. If it had been just one year, you would have earned zero good time. Your bop end of sentence/start of supervised release date will be 319 days from the first day you are in custody for the charges you were sentenced for. That actual date will eventually show up on the bop inmate locator.

Any HWH/HC time will happen before then, and it is up to your unit team to decide how much, if any, they will recommend. Some members who were in minimum security camps have posted that they should have remained there rather than accepting HWH placement, but it's up to you to research where you would go, and then decide. There is no bop penalty for refusing HWH placement.

The Second Chance Act allows the bop to send every inmate who qualifies for "community corrections" to a HWH for up to one year, but 10% of your sentence is more likely. Ask your counselor or case manager how much time they will recommend for you at your first unit team meeting. One big difference, medical care in prison is provided by the bop, but is on you, including paying for it, in a HWH.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
You will earn 47 days of good time off of your 1+1 sentence. If it had been just one year, you would have earned zero good time. Your bop end of sentence/start of supervised release date will be 319 days from the first day you are in custody for the charges you were sentenced for. That actual date will eventually show up on the bop inmate locator.

Any HWH/HC time will happen before then, and it is up to your unit team to decide how much, if any, they will recommend. Some members who were in minimum security camps have posted that they should have remained there rather than accepting HWH placement, but it's up to you to research where you would go, and then decide. There is no bop penalty for refusing HWH placement.

The Second Chance Act allows the bop to send every inmate who qualifies for "community corrections" to a HWH for up to one year, but 10% of your sentence is more likely. Ask your counselor or case manager how much time they will recommend for you at your first unit team meeting. One big difference, medical care in prison is provided by the bop, but is on you, including paying for it, in a HWH.
Wow! You are awesome. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I have another question, being I own my business will they allow me to work there if I did HWH?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Maybe yes, but maybe not. The main issue at the HWH I was in dealt with supervision at work. Being allowed to work in a family owned business often depended on who would be supervising the "resident" (at a HWH you will no longer be an inmate). A non family member was often OK, but not a family member. Also, if your crime had anything to do with your business, probably not.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM

I too SS May 15th, I was told it would be a medical facility, so I'm assuming Carswell. I live about an hour from it. I got 33 months and I have served 1 month in county. I've been blessed to be out through all this to be with my kids. My husband got 27 months and has served 6 in county, he is still in custody. I've read so many things about Carswell, has anything improved? Any advice is helpful.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 PM

What's the pros and cons of a HWH?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Pros, out of prison and living closer to home. The opportunity to find a job, eventually get weekend passes, and maybe even a transfer to "home confinement".

Cons depend on the actual HWH. Living conditions, petty rule enforcement, physical danger from where the HWH is located, and usually a very short leash for a return to a bop prison.