Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:56 PM

Default Ask questions about Alderson federal prison, I'll try to find the answer

I am putting this here for anyone who is looking for info on Alderson. Beckers and Queenbee129 are there and we are corresponding. They now have Skype at Alderson. This is new since my daughter was there. If you have any questions I will try to get you answers. Just contact me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
Cjag94 (12-04-2016), fbopnomore (05-16-2015), patchouli (05-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM
lostinky1948

Wink Just left Alderson

I left Alderson in early April. Will be happy to give any advice I can. It is a great place - if you have to go that is. Just ask. I was there 2 years and it wasn't bad at all.
fbopnomore (05-23-2015), JustBreathe (06-15-2015), matrock130 (05-24-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM

Default Halfway House Placement

Thanks for the question(s) invite! So, I will report soon, on a 12 month sentence (NOT 12m1day). My attorney tells me that I will really only serve 6 months and get 6 months HH time. THEN, PreTrial Officer tells me that NO, I won't get any HH time since my sentence isn't over a year. So, then, my attorney says it's all up to the BOP at Alderson, that I need to be really nice and sweet to my case manager, because it's all up to them......Please reply if anyone has the particulars to this.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinky1948 View Post
I left Alderson in early April. Will be happy to give any advice I can. It is a great place - if you have to go that is. Just ask. I was there 2 years and it wasn't bad at all.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,511 Times in 11,932 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Half way house time will be totally up to your case manager. Some members who were serving their sentences in minimum security bop camps have written that the conditions in prison were far better than at the HWH, especially when compared to HWHs in big cities.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Default about alderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrock130 View Post
I am putting this here for anyone who is looking for info on Alderson. Beckers and Queenbee129 are there and we are corresponding. They now have Skype at Alderson. This is new since my daughter was there. If you have any questions I will try to get you answers. Just contact me.
I am inquiring about specifics at alderson- do you know specifics about tv use, phones, email, skype -hours they can use, craft items do they regulate this or are they free to make and send items home? day to day life there? just trying to get an idea of what areas of life that are very restricted and what freedoms they have---programs---food ect..any help with a day in the life at alderson would be great
Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Default Alderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha11 View Post
I am inquiring about specifics at alderson- do you know specifics about tv use, phones, email, skype -hours they can use, craft items do they regulate this or are they free to make and send items home? day to day life there? just trying to get an idea of what areas of life that are very restricted and what freedoms they have---programs---food ect..any help with a day in the life at alderson would be great
You must use a radio to watch television, phones are the same most places... 15 minutes per conversation with a 15 minute break between calls. email has a time limit as well but you can use it as much as you like. Skype is $6 per 25 minutes. They recipient must be on the approved email list. No sure about the hours they can use but I will find out. They are free to make whatever and mail home as long as they have the stamps for postage. There are a few programs. They have count 6 times per day. The food is okay. They do have good meals on most holidays. I hope this helps.

Last edited by matrock130; 06-04-2015 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: error
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
anniep (10-25-2017), fbopnomore (06-07-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 03:39 PM

Default SS on 6/23 to Alderson

Hello,
I too SS to Alderson on 6/23 and have questions pertaining to email & Skype. Do you happen to know if there are usually long lines to use both of these, are there restricted times or best times to use when not as busy? Are there time limits on how long you can be on email?

I like to read & I understand there is a library. Is there much to choose from in the library?

Thank you for your help.

JustBreathe
Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 AM

Default Whats nearby Alderson,WV - 1st vist to this prison

Whats nearby Alderson,WV - 1st vist to this prison

Quote:
Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM

My mom is at alderson she has 2 years 8 monthd will she have to pull the hold time...im really worrief about her
Old 04-18-2016, 07:54 PM

Please help
Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Default Alderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha247 View Post
Please help
Sorry I did not see this last night. What would you like to know? I will be glad to help. I still email with a lady at Alderson that I met here. Your mom will be ok.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums.

I don't understand what "hold time" means. Minimum security camps are the bop prisons with the fewest restrictions, and most inmates stay on their best behavior so they aren't transferred to a real prison.

Here's a link to the 36 page PTO sticky "Women's federal prison camps".
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...=50568&page=36
Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums.

I don't understand what "hold time" means. Minimum security camps are the bop prisons with the fewest restrictions, and most inmates stay on their best behavior so they aren't transferred to a real prison.
I think the OP meant whole time

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

A prison transfer under an existing SHU punishment usually means that they end up in a higher security level prison, so I don't know the answer, but going from SHU to SHU happens regularly.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
A prison transfer under an existing SHU punishment usually means that they end up in a higher security level prison, so I don't know the answer, but going from SHU to SHU happens regularly.
Is this in the correct spot?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I'm not sure if my post answers Misha's or not, but that's what I tried to do. More details would surely help.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 PM

Default She will be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha247 View Post
Please help
I was a Alderson. I have been home almost a year. You Mom is at the best place as far as those places go. If you can make sure she has some funds to get some comfortable shoes and a headset and some comfort food.
There are some good people there, and some bad. Tell her to be careful.
Hopefully she is a good judge of character. She won't have to do all of the time. It is up to her case manager as far as how much halfway house time that she will get. If you have any specific questions I can answer. I have some friends there still.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lhcards For This Useful Post:
anniep (10-25-2017), fbopnomore (04-23-2016), matrock130 (04-22-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Default Need surgery and have to self report May 26th

Quote:
I need a stent or bypass done on my legs for a condition called claudication. I can only walk a block before severe pain sets in, due to a blockage, how will affect work at Alderson or daily living, will they send me somewhere else?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. If you can schedule your surgery before you report to the bop, do it. They can send you anywhere in the country to serve your sentence, and medical care is marginal, even in the few federal medical centers. Otherwise expect your condition to remain untreated, with over the counter meds from the commissary as your only option.

You may be allowed to use a cane or a walker, but that will have to be prescribed by the prison medical staff. The first bop doctor I saw took an x-ray of my hip, commented on how bad it looked, and put me in for a hip replacement. When I was released 5 years later, the surgery was still "pending", and I was completely on my own as my condition worsened. Treating severe pain with OTC meds is brutal, but that's the bop way.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Default legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsatt62707 View Post
I need a stent or bypass done on my legs for a condition called claudication. I can only walk a block before severe pain sets in, due to a blockage, how will affect work at Alderson or daily living, will they send me somewhere else?

Thanks
There is a great deal of up and down the hill walking at Alderson. They (the prison) will not be concerned with the amount of pain you are in. There is a great deal of walking to do anything there. You may want to try to have the condition treated and have your attorney ask for an extension for reporting so you can do so.. I would schedule it before you ask for the extension so your attorney can give all the information to the courts. Otherwise you are in for a long haul. Best of luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-10-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Hey Ladies!!
Can someone give me a little more info on skyping? Can I access the video call on my cell or does it have to be received on a computer?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:44 PM

Default skype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexygurlcoop View Post
Hey Ladies!!
Can someone give me a little more info on skyping? Can I access the video call on my cell or does it have to be received on a computer?
You must use a computer with windows 7 or newer. You cannot use a Mac, iPad, tablet or phone. This is what I was given from someone currently at Alderson. The recipient must be on the current email list. Hope that this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 07:45 PM

Thank you...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexygurlcoop View Post
Thank you...
Anytime
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBreathe View Post
Hello,
I too SS to Alderson on 6/23 and have questions pertaining to email & Skype. Do you happen to know if there are usually long lines to use both of these, are there restricted times or best times to use when not as busy? Are there time limits on how long you can be on email?

I like to read & I understand there is a library. Is there much to choose from in the library?

Thank you for your help.

JustBreathe
Hi JustBreathe! Hang in there, you will be fine. I was there for 2 years and it honestly saved my dysfunctional life. When I was there (June 2012 to June 2014) they did not have Skype, but we did have email. The lines would vary. The location is on the way to the dining hall so meal times it was always busy, it was open until 15 minutes before last count (845 p.m.) but that may have changed. They had approx. 20 computers for inmate use and I think there are over 500 women there, so you do the math on that one! Sometimes its not too bad, once you get in a routine it won't take you long to figure out when is the best time to go. Once you login to your email, I believe the time limit was 30 minutes, but I honestly don't remember. There is a library, but right before I left they quit taking any book donations, so the books they have there are quite outdated. Family members can mail you 5 books at a time (paperback) and let me tell you, you will look forward to that package (as well everyone in your unit). haha. Also, they can send you magazines, or they can set up subscriptions to magazines to be mailed directly to you at the prison. You are honestly going to a good place, the staff is not all good, no matter how nice you are to your case manager or anyone else, they don't want to do anything for you, and are basically very lazy and all related to each other somehow! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!! Take advantage of this time "away" and try to look at it as a time of healing.