Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

View Poll Results: How did you meet your MWI mate?
We met through a pen-pal ad. 344 37.15%
We were introduced by a friend or family member. 301 32.51%
Other. Please explain! 281 30.35%
Voters: 926. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Wanting Him...

Default How did you meet? (MWI relationships)

Hello PTO/MWI family!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I had a thought pop into my head...no agenda here really, but I'm just curious as to how you met...Was it through a pen pal ad? Did a friend/family member introduce you?

Also, how long have you "known" your loved one?

The Following User Says Thank You to lonely_in_co For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Faith..Hope..Love..
Donation Award 

I met my husband through a girl I knew at the time that was dating a guy in the same facility as him. Funny thing is, we got married and they ( the guy and girl that introduced us) are no longer together.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 AM

Smile Other

Well we met in the prison. I was his detail officer, so we were around each other pretty much all day everyday. We have been "together" like officially only since Sept. when I quit the prison, which I quit so that we could be together. So now that we are "TOGETHER" we never see each other lol, what an oxymoron huh? But we started caring for each other long before that. Well it was the first of July when I finally admitted it, he already knew, he never really thought that I would quit my job though, he really thought that he would have to wait on me until he got out. Which he always said he would, because even if I didn't acknowledge my feelings for him, he knew that I felt them just as much as he did, but after months of pretending I didn't love him, I finally caved in and admitted it. I have never been happier about any decision I've made.

Last edited by apf2489; 12-03-2006 at 02:24 AM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to apf2489 For This Useful Post:
candy (05-03-2018), FastCarGirl (03-02-2011), Hisbabygurl84 (07-20-2013), hisnysoulmate (03-11-2011), mrbglm2013 (05-28-2013), O's Sweetheart (09-13-2010), robsgirl2011 (09-26-2010), tea2sugarsplz (04-24-2010)
Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 AM

We met as pen pals 11 years ago

The Following User Says Thank You to Claireabell For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Closed

A pen friend of his introduced us. We have known each other 18 months and we've been a copule for about a year.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:28 AM
WINNING! Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,878 Times in 10,462 Posts

We "met" when he misdialed a family members number and got me instead. We've been together almost 3 1/2 years. I finished off what was left on the bid he was in on (14 months), he was home for 16 months, went back in for 6 months, has been home almost 5 months and may or may not be going back in early next year. Also of interest, our first face to face meeting at the prison was made possible by a PTO moderator that happened to live just a few minutes away from me and offered me a ride. =)

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
CargillLove (03-16-2012), Hisbabygurl84 (07-20-2013), hisnysoulmate (03-11-2011), LadyJ8402 (04-14-2013), O's Sweetheart (09-13-2010), photoholic808 (07-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2006, 06:30 AM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Pen pal ad here... 5.5 years ago. Been together as a couple 4.5 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2nice For This Useful Post:
Hisbabygurl84 (07-20-2013), kaypilky (04-11-2010)
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 AM
mj's wife.....finally

Default How i met the love of my life....

Eleven years ago, my best friend asked me to write to her brother in law in prison... i had never done this or anything like this.... Anyway we began writing and wrote every day....during this time, we were just learning to know each other and the same friend introduced me to her other brother in law....whom i became involved with...had a baby with and eventually married....which was not a good thing...Well through all of this mike and i have stayed close...for him we have dealt with his long bid, his divorce, his broken heart, and the death of his ex wife. Through this we have dealt with his little brothers mental illness(my ex husband), my divorce and the issues that have come from having feelings for your ex husbands brother....OH BOY!! Finally we decided that the Lord had been trying to show us the way for almost 11 years....Now we are together in a relationship that neither of us believed was possible for either one of us....and we are very happy . The family is learning to deal with it one day at a time... however the ex husband hates us....even though he has moved on and is living with the woman he left me for...so as far as i am concerned.... God truly does work in mysterious ways.....hes been trying to show me the way for 11 years and it took me a long time to get it ... now that i have it.... i will cherish mike for the rest of my life....So there is our story....It truly isnt as crazy as it sounds just very complicated.... but we are happy and in love and that is all that matters in the long run....
have a happy day
msmomto4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmomto4 For This Useful Post:
robin1978 (12-21-2010), stillaskinghow (08-30-2013)
Old 12-03-2006, 09:05 AM

Thanked 1,145 Times in 679 Posts

My stepsister's mom started writing to a penpal from a magazine ad. After about 6 months, she wanted to meet him,but her car wouldn't make it. Somehow, I got asked/offered to drive. her penpal asked me to visit w/ his friend. He was a jerk.The next time I was supposed to visit someone else to pass the time while my friend visited. He got transferred out a few days before our visit, so last minute it was well, just talk to this guy, it's safer than you dropping E off and wandering around alone. Whatever. Well,it was far from whatever. It was the man who is now my husband and the father of our son. We have been together 8 yrs, married for 7. My friend is not with the other guy any more either.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:
stillaskinghow (08-30-2013)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Running on auto-pilot

we met at work.
fresh out of prison after 7 years, and on parole, he got a job at the small upholstery shop i work for. i wasn't looking for a relationship (and neither was he), but the more we talked the more i was attracted to him. this was exacerbated by the fact that he didn't seem to be the least bit interested in me! i flirted shamelessly, without realizing that he WAS interested; he was afraid to start something because of his situation. no one at work knew he was on parole. eventually, and with some coaxing from another guy at work (and his daughter and his best friend, to whom he had talked about me) he asked me out.
we were both nervous, but our date lasted from 4:00 in the afternoon until 1:00 in the morning. we went bowling, went for pizza, and just walked around town talking, for hours--even when it started raining! we stopped at starbucks for coffee, twice (and once more, just to pee ). we were both amazed at how much we had in common.
shortly thereafter he told me about his past. he put it ALL out there. we both knew we had a rare and wonderful connection and he wanted to be honest from the start if it was going to become serious. i was taken aback, of course, but i appreciated his honesty. i decided i could handle it and we've been together ever since. i found the true love of my life at the age of 47!
when our boss decided to retire he offered US the opportunity to buy the business!
unfortunately, 3 months shy of being off parole, my love was returned to prison for a technical rule violation. if all goes well, he'll be out early in 2008 and we'll get married, run our business together, and grow old in love.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to debbee214 For This Useful Post:
Cutepixie (03-02-2015), Hisbabygurl84 (07-20-2013), Jackson05 (09-29-2015), kuttyswife (02-27-2010), LadyJ8402 (04-14-2013), stillaskinghow (08-30-2013)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Wanting Him...

awww..debbee what a sweet story!!!

I just realized that I kinda left out my details...although a few of you already know my story (just like we all know Patty's! LOL)

Anyway, I had a cousin who was locked up a few years back for a murder he didn't commit. My cousin has since been released after winning his appeal, but while he was there I wrote him religiously, keeping him updated on my life and the lives of the rest of the family. I wanted to communicate with him as much as possible to make the time go by faster. Well, my cousin didn't write back much and so he figured he'd "hook me up" with a buddy of his. I don't know if my cousin had THIS kind of agenda in mind, but that was back in Oct. 2003 and B and I have been writing ever since. Our romantic relationship started just over a month ago and I can't wait till we can be together on the outside. Just over a year to go as he gets out in Mar 2008!

On a side note, I have yet to meet my man face to face...working on it, though!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

the woman, or so i thought was a good sweet god loving mother of 2 nice or so i thought
turnt out to be my worst nightmare dealing with pen pal forums but i do not regret it as i look at it as a LEARNING experience....
same as not all guys are nice inside? not all WOMEN are REAL WOMEN either.she was a fake wit her feelings and NOW I KNOW.

we met over on the one called FriendBeyondtheWall.com or somthing like that almost 1 year ago last feb.06

i got out and she was cheating anyhow told me i am gorgeous hispanic latino the long hair down the back skin tone stomach abs big arms tall etc BUT she need one with money bmw or mercedes who can take care of her??? lmfao but then she go,but YOU LOOK BETTER. Juan so we can still have SEX?i still tell her: your crazy straight up... i am not tryin to go there cause i am a REAL N--GA,REAL MAN and i
do not play games and i am almost 30 in few days december 15th so i am NOT here to be playing games or being cheated on like that or used,

turn out she was a STRAIGHT PG...(((PRISON GROUPIE)))
NOW I KNOW THIS..

find out now she was writing 2 other dudes beside me.so i am not with her
and i am doing just fine without that fake in my world,she would have just
kept me down now that i am home.i am trying to stay FOCUS and positive
not negative with un necessary drama.

Last edited by juan_nyfelon; 12-03-2006 at 03:09 PM..
Old 12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Donation Award 

I met through a penpal ad, I am a CJ major so it kind of peaked my interest to look at the penpal ads, and after looking at so many he just called to me, "come write me" haha! And the rest is kind of history. We are together and very happy. The funny thing is he had just posted the ad, I was his first response, he even received it along with his receipt for placing the ad. Now the funniest thing to all of this is you know, the ads are for one year, and a month after his year was up the site closed down. It just went away. Now you might think it just kind of happened like that but we know differently, it happened for the reason or purpose of us being where we were at that moment so we would meet. I wish more than anything we had met under different circumstances, not becuse I love him any less because of where he is but because I wish he wasn't there, I wish he were here with me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just-Cynt For This Useful Post:
Jimenez0401 (03-13-2015), MissHimMuch2 (07-22-2013), robin1978 (12-21-2010)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Running on auto-pilot

oops!
when i responded to this thread, i didn't realize it was for MWI's. sorry about that (i wondered why it seemed like so many met as pen pals---duh! )
at any rate, he WAS on parole when we met. so that sorta counts, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to debbee214 For This Useful Post:
Free Bari <3 (12-06-2012)
Old 12-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I met him when I wrote to tell him my ex, and his best friend, was killed. He got me on the visiting list and we just clicked.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I met my guy after I got dumped by another guy. He was one of his friends. I know, I know its taboo but it is what it is. Anyway, I wrote to him asking him to just look out for the first guy because I was worried about him. He wrote me back telling me that he would keep him in line but then instead of just ending it there, he asked about me. We started writing and working things through. I made him promise me that if his friend had any problems with our relationship that he would stop communicating with me because his friend needed him more than I did at that point. Well we have grown so much closer now that if his friend does have a problem with it then he is out of luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lions Heart For This Useful Post:
MissHimMuch2 (07-22-2013), TZT4$ure4Life (04-19-2013)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Closed

Thumbs up A little complicated.. haha

I met him through one of my ex's friends in prison. I met my ex first and we were together * i knew him before he was locked up* then My ex had a friend in jail who i wrote, and that guy introduced me to Lance. Been thankful for it ever since! =) He is definately one of the good ones!
<3
carly
Old 12-03-2006, 11:01 PM

My situation is more of a other type then anything. I met him on the outside, but didnt get to know him until he was on the inside

I met my husband when he lived across the street from my brother. At the time I couldnt even have told you his last name or eye color much less anything else about him. It was more of a I knew who he was thing but didnt really know him.

Because I lived a block down the same road he knew I lived on the same street as him. One day while sitting in prison he was talking to a friend of mine. They didnt have a clue they both knew me until somehow the street my husband lived on was brough up. Needless to say the "I knew a girl who lived on that street" was mentioned and you can guess the rest of the conversation. Anyways he told my friend to say hello from him. He then asked my friend if he could have my address to write me. Of course with my permission my friend gave him the address. I was more curious at the time as what he could possibly have to say to me. I really had no intention of writing him back. In fact after I got the first letter from him I didnt write back until a month later when I got a second letter.

Had you told either of us 5 years ago we would not only be married, but so in love we would have both laughed it off. Feb 2007 will be 4 years from when I got that first letter. Jan 07 will be 2 years since we got married
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNC For This Useful Post:
Juni's Jeva (04-07-2013), stillaskinghow (08-30-2013)
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 PM
My baby is home!!!!

I used to be a CO at the unit, when I quit to go back to school, I wrote him and let him know I was gone and it went from there. We have been together for almost 5 years and been married for 1 year.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Trust in the Lord

I met my husband through his Pastor. She hit the nail right on the head and I am forever in her debt
Old 12-04-2006, 01:07 AM

We 'met' through a mutual friend who was his cellie for a while. The friend gave him my number to get ahold of him on. Justin called for the friend and ended up with me. Now as they say the rest is history...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4Hubby
I met my husband through his Pastor. She hit the nail right on the head and I am forever in her debt
you know you got a good thing, when a man/woman of God hooks you up. LOL

Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Trust in the Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by apf2489
you know you got a good thing, when a man/woman of God hooks you up. LOL

No doubt about that one
Old 12-04-2006, 03:21 AM
PLUR Idealist

technically i am not with him anymore but i do like to tell the story of how we met. i had a huge crush on him in high school but he never even knew who i was. he was a senior when i was a freshman so i was basically invisible. then about two or three years after i graduate my friends mother who works for the DOC tells me that she found out that the guy i lusted after is locked up. Curiosity gets the best of me and i find out all the stuff to write him. i think it was the fact that i knew who he was in high school that really got him to write me.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Donation Award 

I knew him from about 10 years ago, I knew his sister. Then teaching a class one day and he walked in. We started writing and it went from there. We have been writing almost a year, together about 8 months.