Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Default Asatru Religion

Does anyone practice this religion? This is my J's religion and I'm just trying to learn about it.. He tells me but I wanna know everything I can.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM

I wish that I could help you with this but I've never even heard of this religion. I will try to look it up and let you know what I find. Good luck and God bless!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Here is some stuff I found about it, I hope that this is helpful to you. I will pray for your man to find Jesus. It is scarey to read about all the other religions and how people truly believe that this is the way. Jesus is the ONLY way. God Bless You!

The Raven Kindred Principles of Asatru

We believe in the Gods of the North. The Aesir and Vanir are real and true deities with individual minds, wants, desires, and existence who care for mankind, for their "folk" (i.e. those who worship them), and for the world in general.
We believe in the Eddas and myths as inspired religious literature. While we acknowledge that they are not necessarily literal accounts of physical events, they are nonetheless true in a religious sense and deserve our attention and respect.
We believe in right and wrong and seek always to stand with the Aesir and Vanir against those who would do evil. We believe in Troth and loyalty: to the Gods, to each other as kinsmen, and to the ancient traditions of our folk.
We believe that Asatru is a tribalist faith (the Folk of Asgard), but that the Gods call those who they will to join our Folk, and we will not gainsay Their choice on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, or sexual preference.
We believe in the evolution of our religion, but ever in memory that the ancient traditions of the Asatru should be followed and learned from, and never discarded without long thought and deep prayer.
We believe in living an honorable and virtuous life in the ways of the Gods. We accept as our guide the nine virtues: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance, Perserverence.
We believe in striving ever for excellence in all aspects of our lives.
We believe in the rights of humankind to speak, act, and worship as they will. We believe that the oppression of the human spirit is the greatest crime and that the Gods seek us as companions and followers, but never as slaves or servants.
We believe that each man or woman can seek their own troth with the Gods. While we recognize Gothar as teachers and persons of close relationship with the Gods, no person¹s relationship with the Gods is dependent on another human¹s intervention or help.
We believe in making decisions by fair and democratic means and reject autocracy and dictatorship religiously, socially, politically, and personally.
We believe in the rights of others, not of the Asafolk, to worship their Gods as they see fit and we leave others to their own faith.
We believe in the future of Asatru as a legitimate religion and pledge ourselves to work towards its acceptance as one of the mainline faiths of our nation and world.
To these beliefs and to the Gods in the Nine Worlds we pledge ourselves, body and soul.

What is Asatru?

Trying to define Asatru can be rather like trying to nail jelly to a tree - whenever one is convinced it has stuck it finds a way around the nail to land once more at your feet. The word itself is easy enough - it was invented by Scandinavian antiquarians in the 1830's to describe the
ethical and religious leanings of their forebearers. Literally it means "True to the Aesir", one of the families of gods and goddesses worshipped by the Vikings. But the concepts go back much farther, and are indeed much broader than medieval Scandinavia. Five thousand of years ago a people known as the Indo-Europeans swept out of central Asia across steppe and sea in a wave of conquest, trade and exploration.. Asatru is essentially their cultural legacy, now worldwide, wherever their descendants roamed. Scandinavia is simply the last place this culture existed in it's purest form, untouched by the influx of Semitic and Oriental religion and culture.
Asatru is a tribal or folk religion. As such, it shares much with other tribal traditions, including those of the Native Americans. However, unlike nearly every other tribal religion, Asatru has a written body of lore, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda and many, many sagas, all collected in Iceland in the Middle Ages and preserved.
An Asatru Kindred, such as Ravenswood, is the modern expression of the tribe. It is not a church, although there is a strong religious aspect. Legally, it is a religious order. It is not exactly a family, although the members consider one another to be kin. It somewhat like a fraternity, such
as the Masonic Orders, where one is bound by oath to ones fellows. We have no dogma, or formal creed, although we do have a set of shared beliefs. Perhaps the best way to think of Asatru is as an ethic, as a philosophy or a way of life. This ethic is best expressed in the Nine
Noble Virtues. Asatru places the highest value of human freedom and individuality. This is true in both secular
and religious matters, and is so strong that while we honor our gods and goddesses, we will never grovel before them. The Shining Gods and Goddesses (the Aesir and the Vanir of Scandinavian tradition) are models and inspirations: self-aware personifications of the forces of
nature and of life. They are our friends, but never will they be our masters, and we will never be their slaves. We do not bow our heads before them, we do not bend the knee or surrender our judgment or our sovereignty.
Asafolk view the gods in many different lights. There are those of us who nearly atheists, believing the Gods and Goddesses to be manifestations of pure Nature, and preferring to trust in their own might and judgment entirely. For these folks, Asatru provides a context for their culture and it's continuity. Others are literalists, believing the Eddas and Sagas to be divinely inspired,
and believing the gods and goddesses to be literal physical entities. Most fall somewhere in the middle: finding our roots in the culture and our spiritual path on the road with the Shining Gods and Goddesses. The cultural context that Asatru presents is indeed immense. Most of the holidays that we celebrate were original with our ancestors. Yule trees were decorated to celebrate, and the Ostara bunny left his eggs in the grass at the Vernal Equinox. Even the days of the week reflect our heathen heritage: Sunna's Day, Moon's Day, Tiw's Day, Woden's Day, Thor's Day, Frigga's Day ... Saturn's Day was a Roman addition. Our system of common law and jurisprudence has it's roots in the Thing, a general meeting of the community. This system, which has survived in America, Scandinavia and England is utterly unlike the Roman or Middle Eastern system of judges without juries and commands by divine kings. At it core, Asatru believes in human action. No waiting for the afterlife to be happy: you must seize your happiness in the here and now! By heroic action you can take your life in your own hands. You are indeed the "Captain of Your Fate" and the "Master of Your Soul". The family is the pillar of Asatru. By tradition, people have been devoted to family, and rightly so, for the family is the basis of all enduring social achievements. Where families are strong,
freedom is guaranteed. Where they are weak, tyranny flowers, and freedom dies. Beyond the family is the community, not just other Asafolks, but the communities in which we live and work. Asatru has no concept of doing good for the community merely for the sake of
doing good for the community. We believe that our deeds reflect our souls: to the extent that those deeds build our family and our community we are spiritually healthy. Our concepts of an afterlife are fully consistent with our other beliefs. Those who are worthy travel to the realm of the gods, Asgard. Evildoers and oathbreakers are sent to Nifelhel, a realm of cold and fog. There is also a persistent belief in reincarnation, usually, but not always, within the family line. Thus do our ancestors live again through us. This has caused Asatru to sometimes be described as a "Norse Shinto"; Shinto being the ancestor worship as currently practiced in Japan. And indeed, there are many parallels.
Asatru is practiced in many ways. We celebrate the seasons with feasts and festivals, reviving the original customs to the best of our abilities. We practice many crafts, from brewing to weaving. We honor the gods and goddesses on their special days. We remember our ancestors and the heroes whose lives stand as examples to us. But most of all, we attempt to live our lives with honor, enriching our families and our communities.

Last edited by waitingforhim19; 06-06-2006 at 12:06 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Asatru/Odinism is the ancient ancestral faith of the peoples of Northern Europe. It's about being closer to nature and ones own ancestors. Wantin2BHis: Contact me off line and I'll give you some links if you are interested in finding out more on Asatru and Odinism.

To: Waitingforhim19: Everyone has the right to believe in what they will. Jesus may be the only way for you, and that's fine. For me, as an Odinist, the ancestral ways of my Folk is the only way for me. But to claim it is the only way is shallow, narrow-minded, & xenophobic. Once people can look past their belief systems and see people for who they are, the actions that they take, and except them for that. Then the world would be a much better place.

Hropt

Last edited by Hropt; 06-12-2006 at 11:15 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Hropt - Thank you very much~! I sent you a pm.

I have to say I was offended that waitingforhim19 would post that Jesus is the ONLY way.. This forum is supposed to be for support and not judgement. I appreciate the information posted but feel it was slightly rude to suggest that J's beliefs were not legit.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm sorry that I offended you but I am very confident in my faith and I know that Jesus is the only way. I love everyone and I accept that other people don't have the same faith as me and that's your choice. I am in no way judging anyone for their beliefs. Again, I am very sorry. God Bless!