Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > UTAH Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

UTAH Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Utah - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Visitation, Mail ,News & Information, etc.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:15 PM

Default Writing to the board

Hello I need some help. My husband is coming up on his board date and I am trying to write a letter for him. I need some help in trying to figure out what or how to say things to help with his release as I am not only his wife but also the victim of the fight that put him in prison. He is not a crazy violent person, however he is an addict and was fully addicted to alcohol... That was his issue. He has been behind bars since June and at the prison since Aug.
If anyone has written to the board or has any advice on how to write to them I would appreciate any info. I want to advocate for his release 💯 but don't know how to put it without seeming like I'm a biased point of view.

Thank you in advance!!!
40sBell
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 08:39 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,488 Times in 16,824 Posts

You might want to start by introducing yourself, mentioning family members (children) that will live in the home - is he trying to parole to you / your home? That would make a difference as to whether or not to introduce any children.

Please do not - not in any way shape or form - make excuses for the behavior that put him in prison. The Board wants to see the inmate as taking responsibility. Go over any positives such as personal growth, classes / programs taken (did he attend AA while incarcerated), hopefully he's worked the entire time and you can bring that up, too.

Paroled inmates need all sorts of support: financial / employment: does he have a job to return to or job prospects? Transportation or funds for the bus to get to any recommended classes or AA meetings & to PO appointments. Moral support, support in their sobriety, encouragement. Tell the Board all the ways that you can & will support his parole & be a positive influence in his life.

Without knowing your history, his history, I can't give specifics, but you get the general idea from what I've posted, I hope.

Welcome to PTO Good luck with the Board!

EDIT: Once you've written it, read it out loud & check for mistakes (spelling, punctuation). Make any corrections on that copy. Then Re-write

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 01-02-2020 at 08:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-03-2020), LadyKat01 (Yesterday)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 AM

Thank you Patchouli, I wrote a nice draft last night. Seems like a lot to type on my phone so I might hit the library tomorrow and will post it for any advice.
And I would love for him to parole home to me, but I doubt that would happen since I'm his victim and I'm on probation for fighting him. Damn alcohol will mess you up. So I have his job saved for him and his boss, the owner, has written a letter to the board as well. I have also secured housing for him at a friend's house which whom are local business owners as well. Hope that helps his chances.
From what I have been told...He has just barely been accepted to AA and church. He had a job in there but when his housing unit changed the job was no longer available. So he has been sending out a bunch of applications and was also finally accepted into an ager management program.
Thank you again
The Following User Says Thank You to 40sQueen For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,327 Times in 13,402 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's a link to PTO's "sample letters to the parole board" for some ideas of what to include, and what to avoid when you write to the parole board.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=658065

If he has a lawyer, be sure that any/all letters are reviewed before sending them.