Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts
Default Why does AZ have the 4th highest incarceration rate?

This report is about Arizona prisons. We have the 4th highest incarceration rate in the country. We have more inmates than students at U of A. We spend more on the prison system then education and other services combined. Arizona orders longer sentences than other states for the same crime. And, that incarceration is not helping anyone and is hurting our loved ones, our families, our economy and our state.

A recent study found that applicants with criminal records were 50 percent less likely to receive an interview request or job offer, compared to identical applicants with no criminal record.

Prison is also not an effective deterrent for drug abuse or addiction. Recent research by The Pew Charitable Trusts found no statistically significant relationship between imprisonment for drug offenses and rates of illicit use or overdose deaths .

Seventy-eight percent of people currently in Arizona’s prisons have been assessed with moderate or intensive substance abuse needs, but only three percent are receiving treatment at any given time.

The first link is a written report. The 2nd is a 1.5 MINUTE video explanation with graphs.

https://www.fwd.us/news/arizona-impr...crisis-part-1/
https://www.fwd.us/news/video-arizon...his-happening/
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
This report is about Arizona prisons. We have the 4th highest incarceration rate in the country. We have more inmates than students at U of A. We spend more on the prison system then education and other services combined. Arizona orders longer sentences than other states for the same crime. And, that incarceration is not helping anyone and is hurting our loved ones, our families, our economy and our state.

A recent study found that applicants with criminal records were 50 percent less likely to receive an interview request or job offer, compared to identical applicants with no criminal record.

Prison is also not an effective deterrent for drug abuse or addiction. Recent research by The Pew Charitable Trusts found no statistically significant relationship between imprisonment for drug offenses and rates of illicit use or overdose deaths .

Seventy-eight percent of people currently in Arizona’s prisons have been assessed with moderate or intensive substance abuse needs, but only three percent are receiving treatment at any given time.

The first link is a written report. The 2nd is a 1.5 MINUTE video explanation with graphs.
I went to high school there in phoenix and during one of our economics classes I remember my teacher reading us an article that like 1 out of every 3 people in phoenix (this was back in 2003 so I may be off in numbers a little) have been in a Maricopa county jail at some point in their life. it was staggering when I heard it, once I graduated and seen how many of my friends from high school were being arrested on petty crimes it made sense to me. so it has a lot to do with how the county laws work from my understanding and how some police men react to those they encounter. this was great information to brush me up on why im glad I don't live there anymore and forwarded it to my brother and family still there in AJ and they were surprised. thank you

one day closer

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 PM

I think a part of it has to do with the drug scene. I lived in az since i was in 5th grade. It was so easy to get them or drive down to mexico.
Friends got addicted to drugs & the money it brings. Doing stupid things while on something.
Having babies & the babies growing up in that environment.

Lot if my high school pals turned to drug dealing to support families. $1100 for a 2 bed 1 bath, in a “nice ish” part if phoenix. Its crazy.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 PM

We force everyone to serve 85% of their sentence. Write to the legislature to have this removed. We can do it Arizona!
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 PM
here

We have a lot of statutes that have mandatory sentencing attached to them. So rather than risk going to trial, and facing 10 years, people will plead out to 3-4. And if they do exercise their right to a trial and lose, they're often sentenced harsher (the trial penalty)Add that we have almost no work skills programs in prison, and even less help transitioning back into society after release it's a setup for recidivism. Need to keep the bodies in the bunks for CCA can make their bottom line.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (10-03-2018), Shelby67 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts

We are one of the few states with 85% mandatory sentence. We put a lot more low level drug convictions in prison than other states. We have longer sentences.

We support the private prison system. I read one article by a woman writing as a member of AFSC (American Friends Services Committee - who are big on prison reform), where she mentions a county in AZ that has 6 prisons runs by CCA and that they pay that county $2 per inmate per day (a kickback contract). I suspect this is Pinal County where CoreCivic (fna CCA) has at least 6 prisons with a total of over 12,000 inmates. The private prison industry does not want any type of prison reform and AZ makes it a boomtown for their bottom line.

I lived in Phoenix/border on Glendale for a couple of years. We moved to WI when my son was 11. He has since seen many of his friends from 5th and 6th grade in Phoenix in prison, since he entered. All of them involved meth. My son didn't get involved in drugs until we lived in WI. People would be surprised how much of the drugs that come across our southern border head straight to the midwest.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
SadSurprised (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM

All Arizona residents, please write to your state representatives. We need change here. Laws don’t just happen. We are constituents, and it is our duty to let lawmakers know what we want. We want to abolish the 85% truth-in-sentencing law inter alia.