Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > Military Prison Talk & UCMJ
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Military Prison Talk & UCMJ This forum is dedicated to those who have a loved one in a military prison, or dealing with the military legal system (UCMJ).

Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 AM

Default Life after NavConBrig Char.,SC

Hi I am new here to this site. Anyway, I spent 3 years in NavConBrig and got out in 1992. I have a dishonorable discharge to go with it. The doom and gloom of having spent time in prison and having a dishonorable discharge is over rated. Let me tell you how it has effected me since my release.

First of all, I have always been up front with my employers with my past. Honesty really works.

I was an ET in the Navy and calibrated test and measurement equipment. I still do that today.

My first job was for Georgia Power and their Primary Nuclear Metrology Lab. And yes I had to have a security clearence. I worked for GA Power for 3 years while attending college.

I left GA Power for General Electric. I worked for their Electronic Calibration Lab for 5 Yrs. Then they moved the Lab to California and I wasn't willing to move out west. I was laid off on Sept. 30 of that year.

On October 1st of that year ( next day ) I was contacted by Robins AFB Type IIA lab. I told the Manager their that I had a Dishonorable Discharge and he said that he would get back with me. Well, within the hour he called me back and told me that working there required a Secret Security Clearence and he wanted to know if my conviction was security related. I told him it was drug related. Because it was not security related I was able to obtain my Secret Clearence. I started work at the Air Force Base within 10 days after that phone call. I worked there for 3 years.

I left the Air Force Base for sunny Florida. I had taken a job for a NASA contractor. I worked for them for 2 years.

I moved back to Atlanta to take a job with one of the best Metrology Labs in the nation and remain with them til today.

My income is just over $100k a year and consider myself very successful.

I do want you to know that I didn't do this on my own. My Mom and Dad, brothers and sister supported me emotionally from day one. Everyone in my family has served in the military and yet they over looked my short comings. They encouraged me then and still do. That means a lot to a guy who spent time in the pen.

The most important person in my life at that time and now was my wife. We had dated since 8th grade and were married 1 yr after I was released from the Brig.

I now have 3 boys of my own and a marriage that is storybook.

I am telling you this because I want to give you and your families hope. It is not the end of the world. It is a start to a new one.

It may sound strange, but I am glad that I spent time in the brig. I don't think that I would have been as motivated to succeed without that expirence.

I hope and pray that you take my words to heart and really support your family member or friend that is getting out of prison. It will mean everything to them.

We are not all bad, we just made a stupid mistake and need to be forgiven.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caltek2006 For This Useful Post:
gdowell (04-16-2010), Peanut3715 (02-25-2018), Qi27 (07-09-2017), Second_chance55 (11-20-2009), trauma4us (10-06-2018), xolady (02-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

As a widow of a Army 1sgt now deceased and never spent anytime in prison, i commend you for staying strong and never giving up. Yes family has a lot to do with succeeding. Military members seems to have that bond don't we? Its one we never forget, I haven't after he retired in 1976 we forge ahead and keep in touch with those loved ones who life we touched and they ours. Thanks for giving others hope.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boflipflops36 For This Useful Post:
Second_chance55 (11-20-2009), xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
One Day At A Time

Well done, Caltek! Congratulations on both your success in life and finding peace within. It does all start with having a family who is willing to love you, warts and all. I hope my son makes his adjustment as well as you did. Keep the Faith!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Default Wish I could post this

I've worked at the brig for years. There are some good men serving time in the facility. Unfortunately, there are some really bad ones too, now that we keep them for up to 10 years.
I'd post this in the units if I could get away with it. The recidivism rate can get a little demoralizing for both staff and prisoners. It's nice to see that you not only didn't come back, but did really well for yourself and your family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grunt For This Useful Post:
Second_chance55 (11-20-2009), xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 AM

I was searching around the web and came upon this post and had to register and reply.
I was also in navcon brig charleston. instead of sitting on my tail and being upset about a situation that i put myself in, i used my 2 years, 3 months and 16 days to better myself. when i left charleston in 1996 I was 12 credits away from an associates degree after taking clep test. i had my barbers license, and had learned how to do upolstery from working in the sail loft.

After getting out i did not let my discharge and time at charleston hold me back. I went to school to be a lab tech and have worked for 3 of the largest clinical trials and pharmacutical companies in the US. i currently work for one of the largest childrens hospitals in the world.

All of my jobs required FBI clearance and as stated by the original poster..there was no problem because i was up front and my time at charleston was not security related.

The time that is spent in charleston and the discharge is not the end of the world if you work hard and dont let it be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deenix73 For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM

im very happy 4 u and ur family!! Glad ur wife stood behind u......my bf is currently in the charleston brig in charleston sc. Im being strong 4 him...its not easy....but we're goin 2 get thru it
Old 05-22-2016, 02:11 PM

I thought I would post a 7 yr update. I am now extremely wealthy and doing great. My oldest son is now leaving for the Marine Corps in three weeks. Never stop busting your ass. Life is what you make it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caltek2006 For This Useful Post:
Jade0919 (08-31-2016), Peanut3715 (02-25-2018), xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek2006 View Post
Hi I am new here to this site. Anyway, I spent 3 years in NavConBrig and got out in 1992. I have a dishonorable discharge to go with it. The doom and gloom of having spent time in prison and having a dishonorable discharge is over rated. Let me tell you how it has effected me since my release.

First of all, I have always been up front with my employers with my past. Honesty really works.

I was an ET in the Navy and calibrated test and measurement equipment. I still do that today.

My first job was for Georgia Power and their Primary Nuclear Metrology Lab. And yes I had to have a security clearence. I worked for GA Power for 3 years while attending college.

I left GA Power for General Electric. I worked for their Electronic Calibration Lab for 5 Yrs. Then they moved the Lab to California and I wasn't willing to move out west. I was laid off on Sept. 30 of that year.

On October 1st of that year ( next day ) I was contacted by Robins AFB Type IIA lab. I told the Manager their that I had a Dishonorable Discharge and he said that he would get back with me. Well, within the hour he called me back and told me that working there required a Secret Security Clearence and he wanted to know if my conviction was security related. I told him it was drug related. Because it was not security related I was able to obtain my Secret Clearence. I started work at the Air Force Base within 10 days after that phone call. I worked there for 3 years.

I left the Air Force Base for sunny Florida. I had taken a job for a NASA contractor. I worked for them for 2 years.

I moved back to Atlanta to take a job with one of the best Metrology Labs in the nation and remain with them til today.

My income is just over $100k a year and consider myself very successful.

I do want you to know that I didn't do this on my own. My Mom and Dad, brothers and sister supported me emotionally from day one. Everyone in my family has served in the military and yet they over looked my short comings. They encouraged me then and still do. That means a lot to a guy who spent time in the pen.

The most important person in my life at that time and now was my wife. We had dated since 8th grade and were married 1 yr after I was released from the Brig.

I now have 3 boys of my own and a marriage that is storybook.

I am telling you this because I want to give you and your families hope. It is not the end of the world. It is a start to a new one.

It may sound strange, but I am glad that I spent time in the brig. I don't think that I would have been as motivated to succeed without that expirence.

I hope and pray that you take my words to heart and really support your family member or friend that is getting out of prison. It will mean everything to them.

We are not all bad, we just made a stupid mistake and need to be forgiven.

Thank you for posting this, itís exactly what I needed to read tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut3715 For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Your story is inspirational. I too donít have a peachy clean background, but overall I have lead a positive life and I do believe that I have a strong following of supporters.

In two to three years, I will be going for a job as a pilot. I will have to explain a blemish in my background and possibly provide an explanation for a 20 year old general/honorable discharge. Your story gives me hope.

Thank you.