Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, JessesGirl2022. I totally share your frustration towards CDCR, my fiancé is on a non-designated yard and has not escaped incident-free...I am glad he's not hurt (yet).
Do you mind if I ask what Prison your fiancée in? Are they still on lockdown? Has he been able to call? Has he written to you with details of what’s going on? I’m sorry for the barrage of questions. My husband’s yard hasn’t been integrated, yet and, of course my nerves are shattered.
Sarianna (10-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSING MY GUYS View Post
I do not know how to upload the flier but you can join the Facebook group titled NonDPF Cainmates. There are other Facebook groups for wives, girlfriends and loved ones of the incarcerated. There are groups pertaining to individual prisons as well.
Peaceful rally
November 2, 2018
CDCR Headquarters in Sacramento
12pm
I don’t know if I am allowed to leave an email address.
Thank you! I just sent a request on fb to that page and i also saw the flier for the protest im gonna do what i can to get there for that and hopefully i can bring some people with me- the more the better right?
The Following User Says Thank You to JessesGirl2022 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:12 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,676 Times in 1,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSING MY GUYS View Post
Do you mind if I ask what Prison your fiancée in? Are they still on lockdown? Has he been able to call? Has he written to you with details of what’s going on? I’m sorry for the barrage of questions. My husband’s yard hasn’t been integrated, yet and, of course my nerves are shattered.
Mine is at Wasco and they have not been on lockdown at all since he's been there - he calls regularly, so we don't write that often these days. He told me on the phone the details of what went down with the incident (after he'd had his hearing). I don't really feel comfortable putting the details out here, sorry, but nobody got hurt as the guards came in and broke it off. As for him sharing with me what's going on....I don't think it is that bad where he's at, he's never given me the impression that he is overly concerned or fearing for his life, although he's admitted that stuff goes on every week and obviously you always need to watch your back. He has actually said that he thinks integration could be a good thing, he just thinks it shouldn't be done this way and the staff do not know what they are doing...so the whole thing is kinda messed up because of that.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry yourself sick

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
miamac (10-10-2018), sidewalker (10-10-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 PM

Default 50/50 yard

They are reintergrateing all California prisons to be mixed SNY with general population yards. This is a very dangerous situation. Please sign petition to stop this. Care 2 petitions.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
The Benefit is that CDCR would divert so called "Non Programmers" into Adseg Type Yards (Controlled Groups) and be able to push SNY's to more yards.

CDCR has perfectly functioning GP yards right now that they are about to send to hell.
They also get more money to hire more co’s to protect these “dangerous criminals” from each other. More money means more assholes hired, more “cool” tactical gear to be bought and more food for the cos to eat while the inmates eat shit. They need the inmates to fight and go to the hole and to solitary they get more money and can hire more man power for their machine. A lot of cos are from the same family for generations it’s like a career. It’s a money making machine with for profit prison stock sold on Wall Street. Our loved ones are over charged over sentenced and then traded on Wall Street like a commodity. It sickening
Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 PM

Unhappy Lockdown

Ladies! We all need to email the governor's office. Everyone! Our love ones are at risk with this integration of inmates . CDCR is well aware if the big mistake. From how they put it to where there getting inmates ready for society. How are they getting them ready for society? When in the real world on the daily basis we don't deal with child molesters or police informants.So how are preparing them for that . They are rioting in other prisons as we speak. Inmates that talked to the police or owe money for their drug habit. Ran over there . These inmates haven't seen them but now with this they are putting rockwielders and poodles together. A total disaster . Please ladies get your love ones out of danger by emailing Jerry Brown .
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Avenal d yard integration

I haven't been on here in a long time. But I wanted to know if anyone has a loved one at avenal state prison D yard. I'm being told that they will integrate the yard November 5th. If anyone has info please share.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:12 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,415 Times in 6,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee16 View Post
How are they getting them ready for society? When in the real world on the daily basis we don't deal with child molesters or police informants.So how are preparing them for that [...]
Not giving my opinion on integration but commenting on this ^^^
Actually, we do. And murders and those who commit DV and defraud seniors and those who have homophobic and racial prejudice and active and former gang members. If you go out of your house and to the grocery store, you're interacting with them. So to say that we don't is misleading. I have three registered sex offenders living within a half mile of my home. Pretty sure I've said good morning to them more than a few times.

Part of the unfortunate experience that is prison is that it reinforces an "us" and "them" mentality. While SNY was intended to protect vulnerable inmates, it also created a clear line in the sand that does not exist outside of prison walls.

I do believe that some aspects of integration are misguided, but this concept isn't one of them. If our loved ones can't learn to navigate socially with those who do not hold the same values inside prison-- where conduct is monitored and controlled, how high should our expectations be when they are released?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (10-18-2018), Francis213 (10-18-2018), gvalliant (10-18-2018), Itshardtowait (10-18-2018), Sarianna (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 AM

Jujube,
Do you not have any neighbors or shop? In the free world all of these people exist together, odds are you will run into a Felon everyday. Could you please define what type of prisoner is a Rottweiler and what type of prisoners are Poodles? I’m not being rude, I just need clarification please, I was under the impression that everyone in Prison allegedly committed a crime, please correct me if I’m wrong? Thanks

OWL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (10-18-2018), Francis213 (10-18-2018), gvalliant (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
Jujube,
Do you not have any neighbors or shop? In the free world all of these people exist together, odds are you will run into a Felon everyday. Could you please define what type of prisoner is a Rottweiler and what type of prisoners are Poodles? I’m not being rude, I just need clarification please, I was under the impression that everyone in Prison allegedly committed a crime, please correct me if I’m wrong? Thanks
You're not wrong on that point. I don't think that is what Jujube was attempting with the analogy.

There are inmates who knowingly continue active participation in gangs, drug distribution, other activities that are destructive. There are inmates who have figured out and decided they are done with that lifestyle and no longer want to be around it. There are also inmates who don't have fortitude or ability to avoid it whether they want to or not.

They separate themselves by changes they make and actions they take once in prison. As Miamac put it, SNY was a "line in the sand" or a place they could go to theoretically get away from it. I think over time that isn't working out so well and maybe SNY is not so different anymore. We have a large percent of California inmates in SNY.

CDCR seems to think integration is the answer. Maybe it could be, but CDCR is being tight lipped and brushing off reports of fights and riots and violence resulting from this. Lots of stories, virtually nothing official. People have a right to be upset based on lack of information alone. Just cannot trust without that.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
People have a right to be upset based on lack of information alone. Just cannot trust without that.
Yes, exactly. If this was the reformative holy grail they seem to think it is, why not be transparent? I suppose they could cite security risks, but umm...isn't that the point? That this risks the security of certain populaces?

I happen to support voluntary integration. I think just as SNY created a safe, incentivized place to program, integrated yards could hold the same potential. This is not that. This is voluntold with too many old-school egos in play and real lives at risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (10-19-2018), MISSING MY GUYS (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 PM

Default Avenal d yard integration

I just got word that they are taking 25 drop outs from each building and transfering them to main line yards in November. This is so crazy. All so they can get more hazard pay. This is inhumane really. Someone needs to file a lawsuit or something. They're deliberately putting people at risk for death by doing this. Regardless not every one on sny is a chomo or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to osideoriginal For This Useful Post:
MISSING MY GUYS (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by osideoriginal View Post
I just got word that they are taking 25 drop outs from each building and transfering them to main line yards in November.
Do you mean each SNY across CDC, or at a specific prison...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Do you mean each SNY across CDC, or at a specific prison...
I'm referring to avenal state prison. For any one with loved ones there. I was just told that they will be converting that yard November 5th
The Following User Says Thank You to osideoriginal For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osideoriginal View Post
I'm referring to avenal state prison. For any one with loved ones there. I was just told that they will be converting that yard November 5th
I'm not familiar with Avenal. I assume this is a level 2 yard? CDCR was supposed to have completed integrating all level 1 yards in October. Level 2 yards might the next main targets.

Re filing a lawsuit. The highest likelihood organization to take that on would be Prison Law Office, IMO. I assume they are still monitoring all this and hopefully will make that decision. CDCR's lack of transparency is at least partly due to protect from something like that happening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (12-02-2018), Sarianna (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Not giving my opinion on integration but commenting on this ^^^
Actually, we do. And murders and those who commit DV and defraud seniors and those who have homophobic and racial prejudice and active and former gang members. If you go out of your house and to the grocery store, you're interacting with them. So to say that we don't is misleading. I have three registered sex offenders living within a half mile of my home. Pretty sure I've said good morning to them more than a few times.

Part of the unfortunate experience that is prison is that it reinforces an "us" and "them" mentality. While SNY was intended to protect vulnerable inmates, it also created a clear line in the sand that does not exist outside of prison walls.

I do believe that some aspects of integration are misguided, but this concept isn't one of them. If our loved ones can't learn to navigate socially with those who do not hold the same values inside prison-- where conduct is monitored and controlled, how high should our expectations be when they are released?
Very well stated! I agree wholeheartedly.🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
miamac (11-24-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Donation Award 

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
You're not wrong on that point. I don't think that is what Jujube was attempting with the analogy.

There are inmates who knowingly continue active participation in gangs, drug distribution, other activities that are destructive. There are inmates who have figured out and decided they are done with that lifestyle and no longer want to be around it. There are also inmates who don't have fortitude or ability to avoid it whether they want to or not.

They separate themselves by changes they make and actions they take once in prison. As Miamac put it, SNY was a "line in the sand" or a place they could go to theoretically get away from it. I think over time that isn't working out so well and maybe SNY is not so different anymore. We have a large percent of California inmates in SNY.

CDCR seems to think integration is the answer. Maybe it could be, but CDCR is being tight lipped and brushing off reports of fights and riots and violence resulting from this. Lots of stories, virtually nothing official. People have a right to be upset based on lack of information alone. Just cannot trust without that.

My husband has just been placed in AdSeg for "protective custody". He was being moved on by a group of inmates. He was in an SNY yard and this happened in his new programming yard. He is level 2, 15 years down. Is there going to be any safe place or any protection for someone like him? I am worried sick that after all these years with only 3 more to go, he may be injured or killed.

Love is patient, love is kind.....
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Free together again by 2020
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biznessgal2 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-26-2018), marie8899 (12-02-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:51 PM

someone tell me what the letters stand for sny and gp and the others please
Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsmom View Post
someone tell me what the letters stand for sny and gp and the others please
Sensitive Needs Yard
General Population
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JessesGirl2022 For This Useful Post:
cwsmom (11-26-2018), miamac (11-25-2018), Sarianna (11-26-2018), sidewalker (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznessgal2 View Post
My husband has just been placed in AdSeg for "protective custody". He was being moved on by a group of inmates. He was in an SNY yard and this happened in his new programming yard. He is level 2, 15 years down. Is there going to be any safe place or any protection for someone like him? I am worried sick that after all these years with only 3 more to go, he may be injured or killed.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Honestly, I don't know. This isn't the first scenario I've heard of like this and ad-seg was the answer there, as well. That is not an acceptable alternative and if these cases continue to increase, a solid answer will need to come from CDCR. Well, actually, it already should. But my point is long-term, what is their plan for at-risk inmates? Just keep moving them around until they run out of facilities?
Biznessgal2 (11-27-2018), gvalliant (11-26-2018), marie8899 (12-02-2018), Sarianna (11-26-2018), sidewalker (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznessgal2 View Post
My husband has just been placed in AdSeg for "protective custody"
I'm glad they did that for him. He is "non-disciplinary" Ad-Seg. Presumably he will not be there long and they will send him to a different yard on that prison (if one is available that fits his classification) or they will send him to another prison. He then does his best to blend in wherever that is.

This does bring up a broader concern. My understanding is if inmate tells staff he has enemies or reasonably feels he is in danger they are supposed to get them off that yard. Ad-Seg is used as a short term safe place while they sort out where to send the inmate. If integration problems persist are they going to start filling up Ad-Seg and are prison transfers going to skyrocket as a surrogate for protection?

I am not convinced guards always accept the inmates word on safety. So maybe we also see inmates being denied or having to give up dirt on other inmates to get off a yard. Which might solve a short term problem but create longer term problems for that inmate.

Government decision making is so often poorly thought out and full of unintended consequences like this.

Last edited by gvalliant; 11-26-2018 at 09:31 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Biznessgal2 (11-27-2018), marie8899 (12-02-2018), miamac (11-26-2018), Sarianna (11-26-2018), sidewalker (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
They also get more money to hire more co’s to protect these “dangerous criminals” from each other. More money means more assholes hired, more “cool” tactical gear to be bought and more food for the cos to eat while the inmates eat shit. They need the inmates to fight and go to the hole and to solitary they get more money and can hire more man power for their machine. A lot of cos are from the same family for generations it’s like a career. It’s a money making machine with for profit prison stock sold on Wall Street. Our loved ones are over charged over sentenced and then traded on Wall Street like a commodity. It sickening
here here!!!!!i agree whole hartedly with what you said. thats the way it is at the facility my son is at,
Old 11-30-2018, 02:10 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,032 Posts
Default NON-DESIGNATED PROGRAMMING PRISONS, BUILDINGS and YARDS

I don't know if all of you have read this information from Prison Law, on
NON-DESIGNATED PROGRAMMING PRISONS, BUILDINGS and YARDS Revised September 2018 (CDCR memo also is attached to this handout )
Today for a change I get to catch up on my reading and information gathering
Instead of pumping out writs and reading negative court opinions
Biznessgal2 (12-03-2018), Sarianna (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
I don't know if all of you have read this information from Prison Law, on
NON-DESIGNATED PROGRAMMING PRISONS, BUILDINGS and YARDS Revised September 2018 (CDCR memo also is attached to this handout )
I hadn't seen this and it's really disappointing to see that this will continue rollout to some Level 3 yards this coming year. Upcoming yards/facilities:

CMC
MCSP
CTF
ASP- full facility
VSP- full facility
CVSP- full facility
SATF
SCC
CCC

So it seems like they're willing to put our loved ones at risk to weed out the problem-children and corral them at a handful of facilities. We all know what those are called, gladiator camps. I'm pretty sure this is how pre-SNY prison worked. Are they hoping it will just go better this time?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Biznessgal2 (12-03-2018), Patrickj (11-30-2018), Sarianna (12-01-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
. Are they hoping it will just go better this time?
So after a long, passionate discussion at visit yesterday, what I can say is that no, they aren't hoping it will go better. But the collateral loss of inmate welfare is the price they're willing to pay rather than admit they failed to keep SNY the positive-programming yards they should have been. Further, and without going into too much detail because it's speculative at this point, as we spoke about integration and some recent major shake ups in the larger gangs, it seems pretty clear that we are rolling back the clock about 20 years. If you're familiar with the history of prominent gangs in California and specifically their role in CDC, then you know to batten down the hatches.

I stand by my statement that voluntary integration with programming incentives would be a good idea and would likely achieve the goal of real-world preparation and post-incarceration success. But if forcing it worked, we would never had have SNY to begin with.
Biznessgal2 (12-03-2018), gvalliant (12-06-2018), marie8899 (12-02-2018), Sarianna (12-03-2018), sidewalker (12-03-2018)