Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM

Default Bringing money when self surrendering to Federal prison?

Does anyone know if you can bring cash with you for commissary when you self surrender to a federal prison camp?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 AM

You can not, However your LO can call Western Union with your inmate number and you receive it within a couple hours, You can also send WesternUnion from the app on your phone, tablet, computer or at any WU agent site. They will need your First and Last name, middle initial and your inmate number.
You can also send it to the FBOP lockbox, I know that takes quite awhile longer for you to receive it, but it is free of charge to mail, except for postage stamp as opposed to paying a fee through WU, It’s around $11 to send $300. I have never used the Lockbox, The address for The Lockbox is: Federal Bureau of Prisons, insert inmate name, insert inmate register number, P.O. Box 474701, Des Moines, Iowa 50947-0001.

OWL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2019), sidewalker (04-09-2019), SUMI67 (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,557 Times in 12,465 Posts

Here's the link to "inmate money". Mailing a US Postal money order to the lock box in Des Moines a few days before SS will be available to him right away, any other money money orders are held for 15 days.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Thank you! This information is very helpful! We are trying to make sure he has money right away to be able to make phone calls and such.

Sorry for all the questions, but do the federal camps also have to have the phone numbers and visitors list approved?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,557 Times in 12,465 Posts

Phone calls, email, visiting list and commissary shopping all depend on each prison. Some allow new inmates to shop immediately by writing "first time shopper" on their commissary list, but others make them wait for their regular weekly shopping day. Phone calls require a "phone pin #" to arrive in the mail, and a meeting with a counselor to approve, and enter every phone number they will be allowed to call on to their phone access list. Counselors can sometimes be difficult to find, which slows everything.

Email, if the inmate is permitted to use it, requires an invitation email to be sent, and that message replied to before your email address will be allowed, so check your spam folder too.

Visitor's lists are also inputted by the counselor. Some visitors are approved from the immediate family listed on the presentence investigation report, but others have to submit a visitor's application. The inmate will have to find out from the counselor when someone is approved to visit, and notify the person themself.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,555 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMI67 View Post
Thank you! This information is very helpful! We are trying to make sure he has money right away to be able to make phone calls and such.

Sorry for all the questions, but do the federal camps also have to have the phone numbers and visitors list approved?
My husband was able to bring in cash and it was posted to his account pretty quickly. He walked in with $400 and had no issues. The morning of his surrender, we also went to Walgreens and wired $ into his commisary account. That actually was posted quicker than the cash he brought in. WHen you wire the money via WEstern Union it gets posted within a couple of hours. The phone and "email" through trulincs/corrlinks system actually takes a day or two to set up. Western union charges $9.95 per wire and there is a max of $300. There is an actually tab for sending to BOP. You earn points for each wire you send, so that after a certain amount you earn enough to send one free. I think I sent 11 or 12 wires to my husband and 1 was free.

You should try to find someone who has a LO inside already who can have their LO look out for him. That was a huge relief for me and my husband also connected with these guys who let him dictate an email for me that their wives then sent me. It was unbearable not knowing otherwise how he was doing for the first few days and this made things much better.

Yes, visitors need to be approved. Immediate family (from the PSR) should be approved immediately. They get approved through the case manager/counselor. I was officially approved within a few days of my husband being there. Other people need to fill out a formal visiting form (you can find them online) and then the inmate needs to follow up to make sure those people are approved if he/she doesn't hear back after a couple weeks or so. SOmetimes the counselor can't read something on the form and just put them in a pile. INmates usually get noticed when someone is added to the list.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 04-10-2019 at 08:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Momof2beautiful (04-10-2019)