Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Pelican Bay Ranch Q&A Thread

Hi. My 19 yr old son was arrested 4 1st. Time summer 2009. He got 18 mo. (serve 1/2 time) and 3 year suspended sent. Or stay ?? Anyways he left county early oct. Went to d.v.i.-& was on lockdown the whole time. Had 3 months left to serve sentence and they give him transfer papers for pelican bay. He is level 1. That was 2 wks ago. He is now at the ranch. I have been trying to get info on ranch but can't find n e thing but all the bad info on pelican bay. Does n e one know why they would transfer my son there? He is not a documented gang member either, those charges were dismissed! Is it to transition him after being on lock down for 6 months? Plez help with n e info or were to find. And n e info on how to help him stay out of prison when he's released. I cant do this again. Thank you. God bless you n your loved ones. Missing my son.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanranchmom View Post
Hi. My 19 yr old son was arrested 4 1st. Time summer 2009. He got 18 mo. (serve 1/2 time) and 3 year suspended sent. Or stay ?? Anyways he left county early oct. Went to d.v.i.-& was on lockdown the whole time. Had 3 months left to serve sentence and they give him transfer papers for pelican bay. He is level 1. That was 2 wks ago. He is now at the ranch. I have been trying to get info on ranch but can't find n e thing but all the bad info on pelican bay. Does n e one know why they would transfer my son there? He is not a documented gang member either, those charges were dismissed! Is it to transition him after being on lock down for 6 months? Plez help with n e info or were to find. And n e info on how to help him stay out of prison when he's released. I cant do this again. Thank you. God bless you n your loved ones. Missing my son.
ok-found a lilttle info-its not called a ranch is it, just level 1?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 1,193 Times in 825 Posts

head on over to What's the Difference Between Mainline and The Ranch?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanranchmom View Post
My fiancee is in the Ranch, it is also his first time he was arrested. Its really good that your son is where he is. He can get a job . Theres alot of things they can have that the others at pelican bay cant. they are treated better by the c.o. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. My fiancee has been there for 4 months now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LUKESMYMAN For This Useful Post:
mooregrim (03-05-2010), Wolf (03-04-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM

this is good to know my man was just transfered there from S.Q... and he is a level one
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Lightbulb Where are all the wives,gf's,moms etc.. of men at the Ranch???

Are there any other wives, girlfriends, moms, loved ones of men who are housed in the ranch in Pelican Bay??? Just wondering because it would be cool to have others to talk to who's men might know my fiance who is there. Or even those he does not know, just to share experience or whatever.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
JNT4EVA

Hi ladies my hubby is housed on level 1 on the ranch and his nose got broken on Sept. 4th and its been two weeks and they still havnt taken him to the hospital me and his mom been calling and calling and they still havnt taken him can ne body help me wit any info on who I can talk to r call if this situation is bad enough to get a lawyer involve r not thanks in advance for ne info....God Bless....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT4EVA View Post
Hi ladies my hubby is housed on level 1 on the ranch and his nose got broken on Sept. 4th and its been two weeks and they still havnt taken him to the hospital me and his mom been calling and calling and they still havnt taken him can ne body help me wit any info on who I can talk to r call if this situation is bad enough to get a lawyer involve r not thanks in advance for ne info....God Bless....
have you/he talked to his counselor?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 AM
JNT4EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnetta View Post
have you/he talked to his counselor?

yes his dad talk to his counselor and still nothing he is still waiting to go to the hospital I am really upset and mad over this whole situation

Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT4EVA View Post
yes his dad talk to his counselor and still nothing he is still waiting to go to the hospital I am really upset and mad over this whole situation

i hear your frustration.. .and the medical there is sketchy at best... the MD's name is Dr Sayre. and the town they in has a very limitted trauma care at the hospital.. nothing advanced. Cardiac patients need to go to far away places for clinical care. A broken nose might be nothing worth looking into unless an infection set in
Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
JNT4EVA

Well thanks ladies for the info. but they finally took him to the hospital after 3 weeks they had to break his nose all over again in 2 different places just to fix bc they took to long before they took him so now his nose is fix and he go back to the hospital on Monday hopefully everything is healing fine so they can take the stitches out of the inside of his nose, but thanks again...God Bles...

Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 332 Posts

My son was on the ranch and I was shocked at first thinking he had done something really bad to get sent there. The lady at the prison told me that they have to keep a level 1 yard there in order to have inmates to run the prison because so much of the general population is too restricted to have a job. The "ranch" is across a small maintenance road from the main prison and behind a chain link type fence. They are housed in a dorm style building with windows that has access to a large yard that is grassy with a baseball field, track, and a basketball court. My son said they could go out there almost any time. From the ranch you can see the hills that are covered with trees and greenery so once you look past the concrete prison right across the road you at least see some nature and not uglyness. It is only about 1/2 to 1 mile off the ocean and the air has a strong breeze which is very cool if not cold much of the time. My son appreciated the cool weather cuz at least you could always sleep at night but he did say that they get tired of cold and fog. There is a separate visitors room for the ranch that is quite small and not intimidating at all. Most of the time when we visited there were only 1 - 3 other inmates in there having visits. All in all the physical environment is not as bad as it could be.

My son said that most guys keep their act together on the ranch cuz if they get in any trouble they will be transferred across the street to general population and that sucks. He also said the COs there are kind of unpleasant cuz they are used to dealing with some real difficult inmates in the main prison who treat the COs pretty badly. Since they don't have much to loose - it cant' get a lot worst than what they already have - a lot of those inmates do some real lousy stuff to the COs. Unfortunately the COs turn around and treat the guys on the ranch without a lot of respect cuz they know they have to behave or be transferred. My son felt like the COs had the inmates on the ranch over a barrel so to speak.

The community is really small and actually quite pretty for a visit. It was easy to camp there in the summer and the hotel we stayed at looked right over the ocean.

FYI - I work in the ER and a broken nose can't really be treated for the first week until the swellin goes down. Once the swelling goes away the ENT will usually have to set it (re-position) again. It sucks that your loved one had to wait 3 weeks but it will probably not make any difference as to the over all outcome. I know it is not much of a consolation that he waited but hopefully he won't have any unfortunate consequence because of the delay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted's mom For This Useful Post:
missing my boi (11-07-2010), sweetjessie (08-11-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM

My boyfriend just got to pelican bay and he is a low level inmate so I believe he will be housed in the ranch. Do you all know if they have any school programs at the ranch? do they have T.V.'s and phone access? Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM

is the "ranch" all level 1's? or is there an actual level 1?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Hi,

To answer your question, if it hasn't been answered already... "the ranch" is level 1. I'm not sure why they call it that, but they are both the same thing.

Take care
The Following User Says Thank You to cprsgirl For This Useful Post:
supadupaalex18 (08-17-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM

anyone with info with any activity that went on in the ranch today?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM

A riot
Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Check del Norte triplicate newspaper article on there
Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM

so there will probably be no visits this weekend? i tried to call the number but they do not mention the ranch inmate restrictions, only A yard and B yard. Also is the firehouse considered part of level one ranch?

Last edited by supadupaalex18; 11-23-2011 at 01:24 AM..
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Tommy's Baby

Unhappy

how do i know if my loved one is injured this is very unsettling
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Hello...does anyone have any current Ranch info or LOs in the Ranch? TIA!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Hi...Id like some info on visiting at the Ranch at PBSP...if anyone has any info??
Old 06-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Hello new to the ranch can i get info please?