Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Default 5 year probation for felony, picked up another class D

I am in Iowa and am on 5 yr probation, 6 months in. I just picked up another felony charge. My original charge was I pulled a handgun on a cop. Well, it was pled down to threat of terrorism and I was given 5 yrs probation. I just picked up interference with official acts-deadly weapon a class D. I pulled a knife on the cops. I am out on bond now. My first court appearance is Apr. 25th. I am worried expecting another knock and get arrested again for probation violation? Should I be worried about that, my probation officer knows? All my problems with the cops come from my PTSD in the military and I am tired of dealing with the VA and the shitty care and last time they said I was gonna have to go get checked out..... I flipped out and grabbed a big hunting knife. Another question I have does I have the possibility of beating this or getting it pled down to a non-felony cause the knife was still in the sheath and I wasn't arrested on the spot. Please, no judgement.....my family and friends have pretty much quit talking to me. I have no one. I just want to know to expect in all this. I am normally not even a trouble maker. I don't even do drugs or alcohol anymore.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Default Charge of interference with official acts.....

Previously I had been arrested with interference with official acts which was a misdemeanor, I got arrested for it again but this time they attached dangerous weapon on it to making it a class D felony cause I was a felon this time around. I just never heard of interference with official acts being a felony is all. I pulled a knife on the cops that was over the 5 in limit. Just never heard of this charge, cops didn't even arrest me on the spot, guess they were even confused of what to arrest me with. Thoughts???
Old 04-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 529 Posts

Looks like you fall under 1. f.

1. a. A person commits interference with official acts when the person knowingly resists or obstructs anyone known by the person to be a peace officer, jailer, emergency medical care provider under chapter 147A, or fire fighter, whether paid or volunteer, or a person performing bailiff duties pursuant to section 602.1303, subsection 3, in the performance of any act which is within the scope of the lawful duty or authority of that officer, jailer, emergency medical care provider under chapter 147A, or fire fighter, whether paid or volunteer, or a person performing bailiff duties pursuant to section 602.1303, subsection 3, or who knowingly resists or obstructs the service or execution by any authorized person of any civil or criminal process or order of any court.

b. Interference with official acts is a simple misdemeanor. In addition to any other penalties, the punishment imposed under this paragraph shall include assessment of a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars.

c. If a person commits interference with official acts, as defined in this subsection, which results in bodily injury, the person commits a serious misdemeanor.

d. If a person commits interference with official acts, as defined in this subsection, which results in serious injury, the person commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

e. If a person commits interference with official acts, as defined in this subsection, and in so doing inflicts bodily injury other than serious injury, that person commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

f. If a person commits interference with official acts, as defined in this subsection, and in so doing inflicts or attempts to inflict serious injury, or displays a dangerous weapon, as defined in section 702.7, or is armed with a firearm, that person commits a class “D” felony.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-21-2019), Serbgirl (04-27-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,876 Times in 16,524 Posts

There's no way to sugarcoat it, mojocat27...its your responsibility to inform your PO of any contact with law enforcement. Within so many hours of the contact....I forget if its 48 or 72 hours in KY, may be more or less in Iowa. The not telling the PO in a timely manner is yet another violation. The new charge is an escalation of the original charge. I'm not going to "make a prediction" or even take a guess at the outcome. Some states are leaning more heavily on rehabilitation (rehab; therapy; programs) than prison. Good luck....Hope for the best, expect the worst.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 04-21-2019, 01:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,693 Times in 13,059 Posts

It sounds like you lucked out the first time by only getting misdemeanor probation when a gun was involved. Repeating the same, or a similar violation often is treated much more seriously. It's still possible for your lawyer to negotiate a better deal for you this time.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,800 Times in 2,082 Posts

mojocat27 - I merged these two threads of yours as it may be easier for you & others communicate about this issue in one place