Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Donation Award 

Thumbs down Restitution, Money on Books , CDC takes Half .

I understand that if you send money after they are upstate, 1/2 is taken for restitution... However, I have been told by friends son's that they did in fact get to keep what they went with in full. My friend put extra on his books before he was transported out and the inmate is now home and says he did in fact get to keep that ... however, any that was sent 1/2 was taken.

Does anyone know if this is correct. If I can manage to put 500 on his books prior to leaving will that stay intact.?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Thanked 1,722 Times in 908 Posts

As far as I know that is still true. But so many things are changing that if this would be a stretch to pull together for nothing, you can try calling the Sacramento restitution dept or call the county?
The restitution money is taken out before it hits their books. So if it's on their books it still transfers. But I believe I also read here once where after sentencing it was still taken out at county level? So if you call that might be another one to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,673 Times in 16,349 Posts

And its actually 55% not 50%
They add a *fee* for doing this.

It was the same when my hub went to state prison. He got to keep what little he had.
After he'd been there a bit and if I sent anything, 55% was taken out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (12-24-2015), miamac (12-23-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC2 View Post

I understand that if you send money after they are upstate, 1/2 is taken for restitution... However, I have been told by friends son's that they did in fact get to keep what they went with in full. My friend put extra on his books before he was transported out and the inmate is now home and says he did in fact get to keep that ... however, any that was sent 1/2 was taken.

Does anyone know if this is correct. If I can manage to put 500 on his books prior to leaving will that stay intact.?
If he owes fines and restitution, the state will take 65% of funds put on his books regardless. At least that is what I have been told. As for my husband whose son/ours sent him 300.00 out of our son's birthday money, my husband only received 105.00. As soon as it hits his books, the state will be there to take their share. No way around it. Its how the state works. They want their money......what a world we live in......
Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

They will also take a small fee for each time he sees medical. I was so happy to be done with restitution and soon, incarceration.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:39 PM

I can speak solely for L.A. County but as far as any restitution taken out at county level, that is false. I've deposited money numerous times and nothing was taken and I also placed a large sum in his books before he was transferred into the state prison. Due to once he hit state, the 55/45 would kick in. So, yes, if you deposit the money before he is released to state prison, he will in fact keep the whole balance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monique83 For This Useful Post:
TLC2 (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:

Thanks everyone! All I know inside info, says he keeps it if its put on before he goes. After that they take their portion.
The Following User Says Thank You to TLC2 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-11-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM
his one and only wife

Quote:
Thanks everyone! All I know inside info, says he keeps it if its put on before he goes. After that they take their portion.
My husband was a parole violator with a new term, so he went to reception with the same CDC number. They took their 55% of what he brought with him from county. So if yours already has a CDC number I would just expect them to take their cut. :/
Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 PM

I have a couple of penpals in California prisons.

For both of them, when they were transferred from county jail to prison they got to keep all they had, which wasn't much. There was a period of about a month before the prison system got the restitution set up that any money transferred to them they got to keep 100%, but after that initial period the state took 55%.

One of my penpals has since paid off the restitution and not gets to keep 100% of what is sent. The other penpal will never get his restitution paid off.

Instead of sending money I will send stationary supplies: paper, envelopes and stamps. The get to keep 100% of that. He can also trade stamps for other things he needs.

It is also better to buy him quarterly packages, as he gets all of that as well. California inmates can have a "pre-paid" account set up at one of the providers of quarterly packages so that various people can add money to it and the inmate can order what he wants/needs.

R. Mc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-16-2016), TLC2 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc50 View Post

For both of them, when they were transferred from county jail to prison they got to keep all they had, which wasn't much. There was a period of about a month before the prison system got the restitution set up that any money transferred to them they got to keep 100%, but after that initial period the state took 55%.

One of my penpals has since paid off the restitution and not gets to keep 100% of what is sent. The other penpal will never get his restitution paid off.

Instead of sending money I will send stationary supplies: paper, envelopes and stamps. The get to keep 100% of that. He can also trade stamps for other things he needs.

It is also better to buy him quarterly packages, as he gets all of that as well. California inmates can have a "pre-paid" account set up at one of the providers of quarterly packages so that various people can add money to it and the inmate can order what he wants/needs.

R. Mc.
how do the inmates order with no computer , via telephone?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Still loving my hubby...

Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
They usually have order forms available and the inmates can mail them in.

The Following User Says Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
Truskin (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
5'3 High And Rising
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

If you have a smart phone you can order online that way or have him to mail you his list and you call it in
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:

R. Mc.
Nice to know about the pre-paid account, although the 4 times I have ordered packages they have been from different vendors (when he was in the SHU he could only have one once a year). Bless him, he goes through different vendors and price checks everything to get me the best total... I guess very similar to what I would do going to the grocery store. Also, I am very fortunate that when I give him a price range or limit for his package he is never near that price!

My guy no longer has restitution, but he knows that when I send 2 books of stamps the second is for 'potential needs', and that is up to him to identify the meaning of that. I never mentioned it, but it was amazing he seemed to know that was the purpose when I have sent multiples since we had never discussed it.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 PM

I dont know if they changef but when my son wasin prison a couple of years ago if you send 9 dollars at a time they wouldn't touch it he had no problem for the two years he was a way and i would send him this every couple of days good luck
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
I think there's some confusion here. Inmates with money on their books can spend it at commissary, that's like a store in the prison. Money deposited on their books while they are in county jail goes with them to state prison but is not subject to the 55% deduction for restitution.

But, inmates are usually also eligible to receive quarterly and special packages.
There are catalogs in each prison from the various vendors, they can fill out a list of what they want and mail you the list and you can either order it on line or phone it in, the money you spend on those packages is not subject to a deduction for restitution.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-20-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy's Girl View Post
Nice to know about the pre-paid account, although the 4 times I have ordered packages they have been from different vendors (when he was in the SHU he could only have one once a year). Bless him, he goes through different vendors and price checks everything to get me the best total... I guess very similar to what I would do going to the grocery store. Also, I am very fortunate that when I give him a price range or limit for his package he is never near that price!

My guy no longer has restitution, but he knows that when I send 2 books of stamps the second is for 'potential needs', and that is up to him to identify the meaning of that. I never mentioned it, but it was amazing he seemed to know that was the purpose when I have sent multiples since we had never discussed it.
Usually the inmate spends money that you deposit on their account at commissary, an inmate can place an order with that money for a quarterly package, but in most cases they tell you what they want and you order the quarterly package and pay for it with your debit or credit card.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Donation Award 

Default Update on keeping money before CDCR

Quote:

R. Mc.
I have learned a lot since this post. He still has the funds he was transferred with. I now order online at Walkenhorsts and the other day he had a question for them and I merged the call so he could ask them himself. Thank God for smart phones.

Too bad we can't get a write off on taxes. We do provide support. I am a taxpayer too.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Donation Award 

Default If its under 10.00 Put On account . Do they still take a percentage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
I dont know if they changef but when my son was in prison a couple of years ago if you send 9 dollars at a time they wouldn't touch it he had no problem for the two years he was a way and i would send him this every couple of days good luck
I wonder if this is correct? If its under 10.00 as this states, they leave it alone?
What about the accumulation.? 9.00 every other day is about 135 a month.

(WE WILL BE 78 YEARS OLD)

I PRAY THE LORD KEEPS US BOTH IN HIS CARE.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

yes they do take 55%
Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,673 Times in 16,349 Posts

If restitution is owed they take 50% plus a 5% fee.
It seemed like my hub got to keep whatever he had on his books, while he was in reception for a short time.
but ANY amount sent after that was 50% plus the 5% fee.

If they have paid the restitution, they dont take the 50% percent. Not sure if they still charge you the 5% for handling it tho.....(Im tending to doubt it but I dont know the factual answer)