Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Question Can family get info on him? He's in Clallum Bay protective custody

Hi I'm hoping I can get some advice. I have a friend in Clallum Bay. On the 17th of this month. He was assaulted and stabbed in the head by three other inmates. He was taken to the local hospital for treatment. Brought back and put in protective custody " the hole". His emergency contact was not notified. He was allowed on the 25th to call and notify us of the assault. At that point he said medical had only been by one time to change bandages. He was also told that he would need to be transferred out to different facility because of the attack. My first question. Is it normal for emergency contacts not to be notified? I understand if it was just a normal fight. But this was pretty serious. #2. Is there any way for us to help push this transfer? He was told it could take up to a month . #3 Are we allowed to call and ask how he's doing? Because he's in protective custody. He's not allowed to write and he has limited phone access. Any help/ advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,843 Times in 11,079 Posts

'Emergency contact's are rarely contacted, even in emergencies. There's usually someone to contact, though, and that's the chaplain. They will be able to tell you if he's OK, but often not much else.

He should be able to write, but he may not have paper or stamps if they whisked him out of his original housing. And as far as they're concerned, that's of less importance than getting him out of danger.
Fridyrr.Likn (05-01-2017), GingerM (05-01-2017), Littlemiss66 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,887 Times in 3,462 Posts

Dangit. I had a long answer and then promptly ate it by searching for a link for you.

Attempt #2

Nimuay was spot on in a nutshell. I'll try to give a little more detail, one question at a time.

Quote:
Is it normal for emergency contacts not to be notified?
It is typical for emergency contacts to not be notified. I was supposed to be notified within 72 hours after my Dad collapsed in a hallway and was sent to the ER by ambulance. It took 6 days for him to finally find a guard willing to get permission for my dad to call me on the guard's cell phone to tell me that he had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. This is not how the system is supposed to work, but it is the way it typically works.

Quote:
#2. Is there any way for us to help push this transfer?
There isn't really any way for you to influence what DOC does or doesn't do. The only options available to you are to call your state congressional representative, but if you do that, you'll be painting a big ol' target on his back and DOC will be aiming at that target. You can also try to sue them, but by the time you even get an attorney up to speed on what's going on, he'll probably have transferred by then.

Quote:
#3 Are we allowed to call and ask how he's doing?
Nimuay nailed this one. Call the chaplain's office. Explain who you are and that you're all really concerned and just want to know if he's okay. You can try calling his counselor's office, but most likely they'll say they can't tell you anything either due to HIPPA or due to privacy issues. The same holds true with trying to call the head nurse of medical - unless you have a HIPPA waiver (I did for my dad, and once I actually managed to get someone to return my call, they could and did give me updates, but it took about 2 weeks for them to get back to me).

Quote:
Because he's in protective custody. He's not allowed to write and he has limited phone access.
This would be something else you could bring up with the Chaplain. S/he may be able to expedite the return of at least writing materials to him. Like Nimuay said, if they moved him fast, then the rest of his personal belongings are trailing behind him.

There are a couple of things you can do:

1. Check the offender search daily. I think (but am not certain) they update it daily, either late in the evening (8pm?) or early in the morning. Here's a link: http://www.doc.wa.gov/information/inmate-search/ That will let you know if he's gone to another institution and the name/address of the new institution can then be found later.

2. If you haven't already done it, register for VINE. VINE will notify you within 1 hour if he's moved out of where he is now. It's not what the system was designed for, but it works really well. I tracked my Dad from county through intake and into his home institution with VINE, and they really do call you pretty darned fast. They also will continue to call you until you respond to their automated request, so don't hang up right away unless you want them calling you every hour for the rest of your natural lifespan. Here's a link to where you can register: https://www.vinelink.com/#/home/site/48626

All that said, I'm very sorry to hear you're in this position. It sucks. It is horrifically difficult to sit around not knowing what's going on, how he is etc.

One of the things you can do that will help with that stress is to write him about anything, everything and nothing. Send him articles from the internet or pictures you think he'd like or things you think he might find mentally stimulating. Let him know that you know he's in PC and that you're watching to make sure you know where he is as fast as the system updates. It's hard on him too, not knowing if you know, not knowing what you know, and not knowing if you'll know when he moves. So you can take a little stress off of yourself and him by letting him know that you're following him online to make sure you know when he moves and where he moves to.

Hope that's helpful. You've got my support, for what it's worth. Yours is an emotionally awful place to be in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (05-01-2017), nimuay (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Thank you very much for your advice and input. Contacting the chaplain is a great idea thank you. I've tried to sit back and not rock the boat. I was worried about drawing unwanted attention to him if I started pitching fits. As for letter support. I've been writing every day. I'm hoping he's getting them. Once again thank you very much. I very much appreciate you taking time out of your day to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemiss66 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,887 Times in 3,462 Posts

Please let us know how it turns out. I do hope they move him soon and he can get out of PC. Sure, it's for his protection, but it's still not humane.

I really would like to know how things turn out and where he ends up, and I'll send you and him both some positive thoughts for a rapid resolution (even if he does have to wait for his belongings to catch up to him).