Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Moved to R6 in Shelton Tuesday & no call since?

So my luv got moved to R6 in shelton on tuesday and that was the last time he called me. Wouod there be a reason he cant call. Well i know they been going through black outs but they usually are back the next day cause he calls and tells me. It makes me antsy when he doesnt call cause i know he would if he could. So that being said would there be a readon he couldnt?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,893 Times in 3,465 Posts

It may be the weather - not sure how much it's affected Shelton, but I do know it's affected communication in Oregon. It could also be that he's settling in and hasn't had the opportunity to call. The move would likely have taken all day Tuesday, then Wednesday to get settled into new cell, new cellie, possibly new job etc.

I would wait a week or at the very least for the weekend to roll around before worrying too much. I know it's hard when we're used to hearing from them regularly to not worry when we don't hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
ronsgirl17 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myluvshade View Post
So my luv got moved to R6 in shelton on tuesday and that was the last time he called me. Wouod there be a reason he cant call. Well i know they been going through black outs but they usually are back the next day cause he calls and tells me. It makes me antsy when he doesnt call cause i know he would if he could. So that being said would there be a readon he couldnt?
My guy is in R-2 with one week in. No calls or letters. Nothing. Nothing. How does this all work? I am freaking out a little bit. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Typically, they have to go through an intake procedure and it will take him at least a week to set up his commissary account etc., to buy paper/pens/envelopes etc. The delay in phones may be because they haven't assigned him a non-temporary cell yet. Until they get him settled, he's going to have a difficult time getting to a phone.

I'd give it two weeks before you start to panic too much. Then try calling the prison chaplain, and let him know you're concerned about him and want to make sure he's okay.
ronsgirl17 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Typically, they have to go through an intake procedure and it will take him at least a week to set up his commissary account etc., to buy paper/pens/envelopes etc. The delay in phones may be because they haven't assigned him a non-temporary cell yet. Until they get him settled, he's going to have a difficult time getting to a phone.

I'd give it two weeks before you start to panic too much. Then try calling the prison chaplain, and let him know you're concerned about him and want to make sure he's okay.
Thank you so much. I am lost about everything.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

You're quite welcome. When they first arrive, they're assigned any old bunk until they can find the "right" bunk to put them in. This means that they need to find an open bunk with a person roughly the same age with no gang interferences (not sure if your guy was in a gang or not, don't WANT to know, but if he was, they don't want to put him with a rival gang member, and if he isn't, they don't want to put him with ANY gang member). If his crime was one that's looked down on by most in GenPop (like sex offenses), then they need to look for somewhere that he'll not be at risk of inmate on inmate violence. They actually do try to match up people to decrease the risk to everyone.

As for commissary, I believe they place an order (not sure what day of the week is "shopping day" there). The order is placed one week, and received the next week, but if he's not got a non-transitional bed yet, then that gets mucked up. Phones get set up during this transitional time as well, but if they had to put him somewhere, he may be in a 'cell-down' (like a lock down, but only one cell) to keep him safe.

The transition time can take a couple to three weeks or so. At two weeks, if it were me, I'd start to worry. At three weeks, I'd be on the phone with the chaplain or with his counselor/case worker.

What you're experiencing is stressful - you were used to talking to him regular and now he's dropped off the planet so far as you can tell, and all you can do is wait. It is hard and it is stressful. When you do get communication from him whether by letter or phone, you'll feel your blood pressure drop. Hang in there!
ronsgirl17 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
You're quite welcome. When they first arrive, they're assigned any old bunk until they can find the "right" bunk to put them in. This means that they need to find an open bunk with a person roughly the same age with no gang interferences (not sure if your guy was in a gang or not, don't WANT to know, but if he was, they don't want to put him with a rival gang member, and if he isn't, they don't want to put him with ANY gang member). If his crime was one that's looked down on by most in GenPop (like sex offenses), then they need to look for somewhere that he'll not be at risk of inmate on inmate violence. They actually do try to match up people to decrease the risk to everyone.

As for commissary, I believe they place an order (not sure what day of the week is "shopping day" there). The order is placed one week, and received the next week, but if he's not got a non-transitional bed yet, then that gets mucked up. Phones get set up during this transitional time as well, but if they had to put him somewhere, he may be in a 'cell-down' (like a lock down, but only one cell) to keep him safe.

The transition time can take a couple to three weeks or so. At two weeks, if it were me, I'd start to worry. At three weeks, I'd be on the phone with the chaplain or with his counselor/case worker.

What you're experiencing is stressful - you were used to talking to him regular and now he's dropped off the planet so far as you can tell, and all you can do is wait. It is hard and it is stressful. When you do get communication from him whether by letter or phone, you'll feel your blood pressure drop. Hang in there!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and a million times more. I had no idea it was so involved like that, but happy to hear it. My guy is 6'3, 280 pound dumb redneck with a mouth that I wanted to sew shut before he went in. He's in for 14 months, 9 if he's good. So, I'm expecting 14....
The Following User Says Thank You to ronsgirl17 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-20-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsgirl17 View Post
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and a million times more. I had no idea it was so involved like that, but happy to hear it. My guy is 6'3, 280 pound dumb redneck with a mouth that I wanted to sew shut before he went in. He's in for 14 months, 9 if he's good. So, I'm expecting 14....
Hi there, just an FYI, he called me tonight! I'm still shaking I'm so happy. It was only for 10 minutes cos they had to go in, but I don't care, I got to hear his voice. He asked me if I had gotten his letters. I said no and he said he mailed them last week and this week a few more. He just got all of mine today. They have been holding them? Any reason for that you would know of? I want to thank you again for explaining stuff to me. You are so much help. And wow, I just noticed I replied to my own reply. Man! Ginger, this is meant for you.

Last edited by ronsgirl17; 07-21-2017 at 10:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ronsgirl17 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Isn't it such a wonderful feeling when you finally do hear from him? If he gets moved again, prepare to go through this again.

As for mail, they weren't holding it so much as they needed to know which cell to direct it to, and it takes a while for the information to propagate through the system. The mail room knows he's in their facility, so they don't send it back, but they don't know *where* in the facility, so they hang onto it until their computer system catches up and the people in the mail room check to see if he's settled into an "address" inside the prison.

So delivery of your letters to him probably was delayed. As for why you didn't get his letters, I have no idea on that, unless they read new "resident's" mail more closely than they do existing residents.

But I'm extremely happy to hear that you got a call (even if it was short) and that he's as well as can be given his accommodations!

Gin
ronsgirl17 (08-12-2017)