Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Default East Texas Treatment Facility while waiting on SAFP

My son is in this facility right now while he is waiting for a bed with SAFP. Has anyone gone through the process where their family member is placed in a facility while waiting? I thought he would stay in county until a SAFP bed became available. We never could get his parole officer to return our calls to give us any information. We went for our weekly visit to county and he was gone. Plus, it looks like this is a new facility...or one that has been renamed. I don't see it listed anywhere. I'm not sure if I should send him some $ while he is there or wait. So many questions that TDCJ doesn't seem to have answers for. Or maybe just won't give!
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM

It is a newer facility but not new. It is a privately run unit. If you go to the forums for specific units it doesn't have its own section it is under Other prisons. Sometimes they do send them to units and they don't start their program until their is a bed available in that part. My man went to SAFP there at the end of 2008 and got out last May. Unfortunately, he violated his probation and is back in. He made parole and is in a substance abuse pre-release program at LeBlanc in Beaumont. He was there about two weeks before he moved into the dorm where he started his program. You can go to the TDCJ website to find out the basics about East Texas and call the unit with any questions you have http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/xq.htm.
cheetotx (07-19-2010), MORELIA82 (08-09-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I believe that SAFP's are run by different program facilitators. My son is in E. Tx. (Henderson) and he has been able to call, write letters, and receive letters. However, that was not the case when he was in a different SAFP a couple of years ago. It seems like he had to wait for about 30 days or so before he could have contact. Have you tried calling the facility he is in and asking them questions regarding the specifics of their program?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,652 Times in 1,769 Posts

My daughter was in SAFP a couple of years ago and I am sure it is quite the same program as the guys. She was able to have visits and letters after just a couple of weeks. No calls period, ever. And she stayed in Dallas county jail for 5 months waiting on a bed to open. I have not heard of them moving them somewhere else but that could be a guy thing to. My daughter finished the SAFP program and finished the HWH portion but did not complete the after care stuff. The stupid courts gave her an "incomplete" for the whole process because she had 6 months of after care and only went for 3. They make the process so hard. She could not hold down a job while doing all the after care and the probation office could care less. It is a loose/loose situation. You HAVE to have a job and you HAVE to do the aftercare. Her aftercare include all day on Wednesday, no exception. How many people just let you off, especially a new hire, every Wednesday? She sure couldnt find one. Her experience is in the dental field. She could not get an office to allow that. While this story is long, just know what all is involved in the program. Getting in and out of SAFP is the easy part. My daughter spent a total of 9 months in county, 9 months in Safp, 3 months in HWH and 3 months in aftercare and at the end of the day, was given credit for nothing cause she did not complete her last 3 months.

Diane

People that matter don't mind, and People that mind don't matter!