Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts
Default Arizona Chit Chat ~ May 2017

Happy May everyone!!!! I am so excited, nervous, anxious.... I will be at Lewis at 8 am to pick up my husband. Woohoo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (05-01-2017), kykate (05-07-2017), newtothisinariz (05-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts

I'm excited for you! I'm very much looking forward to the last time I see Lewis...or any other $hit hole for that matter
IzzyLouWho (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 PM

I can't wait... He called earlier to tell me to be there at 8 am.

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM

We're suppose to be triple digits at least Saturday and Sunday!
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 AM

Yuck. Oh well... I get to be with my husband again.

Fridyrr.Likn (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:45 PM

How did it go?!?
Fridyrr.Likn (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM

He should be at the halfway house now... Or soon. He got permission to bring me back because of traffic. It went well... I have missed this man more than I realized. I don't like being separated from him at for any period of time... But his PO wants stability for both of us. She wants him to ease back into regular life and, with my mental health issues, doesn't want him to disrupt me too much as keeping me stable helps keep him stable.

Fridyrr.Likn (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM

Here in PA, it was 45 degrees today waking up. Last week, we had one nice day in the 80s and people were already complaining its too hot. I sure do miss the constant warmth and sunshine in the valley.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 AM

The consistent sunshine is amazing for my depression. All the dreary, rainy days back in Illinois messes with my head.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 PM

How was your drive out? You liking the area your staying at or no?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:15 PM

The drive was crazy... Sun, rain and snow... All in the same day. I need to find a semi-cheap place that accepts felons. He is not OK with the halfway house he's at.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM

I hear you if you come across some places in your search please share!! I had started to look ahead of time as my guy gets out in less then 2 years and I thought about moving to the Phoenix area myself ahead of that to get settled and wanted to find places that took felons so that he could come straight to me and we would not have to move but I have had no luck. I found a website that said all its apt buildings in Phoenix and Tucson were about second chances and thus allowed felons and people who had trouble w paying rent and other issues in the past - so I called them all the apartments explaining I have excellent credit no past problems w renting a great job history n current job n only thing was wanting to ensure they would allow my fiancé when he got out in a couple years and that he was a felon and he met all their criteria of no drug charges no weapon charges no gang stuff etc and then bam they all say nope won't rent to anyone straight out of prison has to go to a halfway house for a year or two before he can stay here doesn't matter that you are on the lease too and have a good background. Makes no sense to me bc if anything happened it would fall on me in court too for payment and if they truly are about second chances makes no sense esp when he meets all their criteria otherwise so yeah it is really hard to find something that is not terrible and is affordable bc houses are expensive and it seems those are the only way to go otherwise to find an owner who will take a chance. So I will say a prayer for you and if you come across decent stuff please pass it along!!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
I hear you if you come across some places in your search please share!! I had started to look ahead of time as my guy gets out in less then 2 years and I thought about moving to the Phoenix area myself ahead of that to get settled and wanted to find places that took felons so that he could come straight to me and we would not have to move but I have had no luck. I found a website that said all its apt buildings in Phoenix and Tucson were about second chances and thus allowed felons and people who had trouble w paying rent and other issues in the past - so I called them all the apartments explaining I have excellent credit no past problems w renting a great job history n current job n only thing was wanting to ensure they would allow my fiancé when he got out in a couple years and that he was a felon and he met all their criteria of no drug charges no weapon charges no gang stuff etc and then bam they all say nope won't rent to anyone straight out of prison has to go to a halfway house for a year or two before he can stay here doesn't matter that you are on the lease too and have a good background. Makes no sense to me bc if anything happened it would fall on me in court too for payment and if they truly are about second chances makes no sense esp when he meets all their criteria otherwise so yeah it is really hard to find something that is not terrible and is affordable bc houses are expensive and it seems those are the only way to go otherwise to find an owner who will take a chance. So I will say a prayer for you and if you come across decent stuff please pass it along!!
Thank you. The halfway house his PO put him in seems horrible. He can't get straight answer from anyone there. Then they told him he can't get a job for three weeks. That isn't going to work for us cause if he doesn't get a job, I can't afford to stay here. I have to go home. He's not happy. He has to see his PO tomorrow and is going to tell her it isnt going to work. She wants him stable and he's going to explain that the biggest part of his stability is me... He's planning on begging her to work with him on this. I'm what has been keeping him stable. I'm gonna see if my mom can help for another month, as he is trying to do what he needs to do, he just has other people making decisions for him. It was a big blow to him just getting out.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Halfway houses aren't good for most people! I really hope he can get out of there and get to work!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Halfway houses aren't good for most people! I really hope he can get out of there and get to work!
My goal was not to have him around any offenders. She came out to the at and talked to me and kept mentioning stability... This isn't it.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 PM

I know. Hang in there! I really can't imagine your thoughts right now. Hopefully his po will see reason tomorrow. They wonder why these guys are more comfortable inside...with all the bs they are put through
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM

MrsB somehow I missed that he was at Stiner! I knew he was at Lewis but...yep, I totally missed that our guys were together for a split second there.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I know. Hang in there! I really can't imagine your thoughts right now. Hopefully his po will see reason tomorrow. They wonder why these guys are more comfortable inside...with all the bs they are put through
Exactly. He has made the comment that he feels like he is failing me and failing as a man because he isn't being allowed to support his family. My anxiety is at an all time high, which isn't good for him... About all I do when he isn't around is cry. I'm trying to keep as much of my emotions from him as possible...

Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
Exactly. He has made the comment that he feels like he is failing me and failing as a man because he isn't being allowed to support his family. My anxiety is at an all time high, which isn't good for him... About all I do when he isn't around is cry. I'm trying to keep as much of my emotions from him as possible...
Maybe you can call the po as well and express that you don't think it's going to work out if he stays there? He system failed him by denying the interstate compact where he would have had a home.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe you can call the po as well and express that you don't think it's going to work out if he stays there? He system failed him by denying the interstate compact where he would have had a home.
He wants to handle it. Doesn't like the way I handle things.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine your frustration
Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM

I completely agree about the halfway houses often making things worse esp of people have support they can go to and are being prevented from going there. I worked w pos and the courts places and when talking to maricopa pos here about my guy and how I wanted him transferred to where I was living right away upon his release if I didn't move to Phoenix due to not wanting him in a halfway house they straight up agreed w me that more often then not it's more unstable for guys in those places w the drugs around them and other guys around then if they were in a home w those that supported them yet they make it so difficult for our loved ones to come home to us makes no sense. But on that note - I have no experience personally w this half way house but my guy does and says it's the best one he was at and he was at a few so don't k ow if your guy can be switched if his po is making him stay at one - but maybe this one would be a better fit but please research it for yourself to see your thoughts on rules and such and the job thing - it's called step one on 11th Ave in Phoenix - he recommends it to everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 PM

This is where she wants him. We had him at one that strongly encouraged family connection and she took him out of it. He would have been able to get weekend pass this coming weekend... Now, maybe in two weeks.

Fridyrr.Likn (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Girl you got some crazy good self restraint I applaud that!! I'm so used to stepping in and handling things i wish I was able to hold back when I wanted to step in i am terrible at that. I do k ow that sometimes it matters more tho to those working in the system to hear from those not in the system sadly they dismiss a lot of what our loved ones say but are not as quick to dismiss what we say or ask so sometimes it is good to step in but yes it does matter how we do it but thinking good thoughts for you guys esp after your long journey this was the last thing you needed!!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Just my two cents, as former offender.

About the halfway house thing. I think we all can agree living with a loved one would probably be better than living with a bunch of ex-felons. But its a halfway house. Its not designed to be a full-way house (if you catch my analogy). Getting out is only the first step to eventual freedom and playing the Parole/Probation game is just part of it. You gotta play the game, that's part of the whole system. Its tough. That's part of the game, too.

About the job thing. When I was released, I condemned myself to a bunch of crappy jobs. I dreaded that box! It prevented me from even applying at some places because of it. What I did to get over it was just lie on the application. Unless it was for some super official type job, you can't get into any trouble for it. They're either going to hire you or they're not. Instead of telling them, even before the interview to NOT HIRE YOU (by checking the box), let them figure that out on their own. If they do the background check and you pop as a felon, they're not going to hire you. If they don't do the background check and they won't hire a felon, they're not going to hire you. Why tell them even before the interview not to hire you?

Granted, my stuff is over 15 years old at this point. I also moved from the Valley a decade ago. I know the job search is different than it used to be. But the bottom line is they either hire felons or they do not hire felons. Whether they do a background check or not is up to them. Let them figure it out on their own.