Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:03 AM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 548 Posts

Illinois Dept of Corrections recently abolished the $5 co-pay for medical care.

You should also count in the constant stress that being in prison produces. Stress DOES kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
BeccaRose (06-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
The biggest lie I hear people say is "all inmates are bad". No they aren't all bad. The majority of inmates just went down the wrong path in life.
As a CO, I 100% agree with this. Prisons and the individuals that we incarcerate are way more complicated and more than just their crime.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime30 View Post
If it is a true emergency a person can declare a self declared medical emergency state or federal. And be seen if it is a true emergency. But if it is something minor such as a small rash than they will be added to the sick call list and we triage by prioritization. I will be honest my team is really good about getting sick calls done fast. But at some camps that I've worked there has been some lazy nurses and doctors who were horrible at sick calls. I have had experiences when ppl placed sick calls and it wasn't nothing wrong with them especially some individuals who had a true mental health history. Which make it hard for some ppl to be seen when they place a sick call after being seen. But I've seen ppl who placed sick calls and they were eventually diagnosed with cancer or something else that is serious! From my experience the ppl who are the quietest who should have been acting up about there condition have often been quiet. And that's really sad because at times they can be overlooked if they are not making enough noise.
I have seen it time and time again. Individuals will try and abuse the sick call system over and over. Sometimes its it try and build a case against the state or to create a paper trail for when they get out. Other times its just to try and get a ride to the outside hospital for a vacation.

I have also seen guys deteriorate over the years due to improper health care.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
BeccaRose (06-19-2020), Lifetime30 (05-31-2020), trauma4us (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
I have seen it time and time again. Individuals will try and abuse the sick call system over and over. Sometimes its it try and build a case against the state or to create a paper trail for when they get out. Other times its just to try and get a ride to the outside hospital for a vacation.

Yes that is soooooo true. I found out one of the guys who we were sending out was drinking salt water to go to the hospital to see the nurses and to eat what he wanted while there until another inmate told us about it. And than we caught on to it and all of a sudden the blood pressure stopped being 230/160 .. but before we knew it he started back up again.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yes that is soooooo true. I found out one of the guys who we were sending out was drinking salt water to go to the hospital to see the nurses and to eat what he wanted while there until another inmate told us about it. And than we caught on to it and all of a sudden the blood pressure stopped being 230/160 .. but before we knew it he started back up again.

Don't you have CCTV monitors in all prisons? surly you could monitor the inmates actions to see whether or not he's doing this act intentionally. And if so then reprimand him. If not then put him on BP Meds.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
Don't you have CCTV monitors in all prisons? surly you could monitor the inmates actions to see whether or not he's doing this act intentionally. And if so then reprimand him. If not then put him on BP Meds.
Actually no some prisons have them in certain locations and some dont. Some prisons are more stricter than others. And this guy was on so many blood pressure medications you wouldn't believe it. And a clonidine patch. And all the sorts. So it just wasn't making since for someone to be on that many meds and blood pressure be sky rocket high. But we learned the tricks of increasing blood pressure such as clinching. Esc
Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of a video I saw recently on the news. In a prison somewhere inmates were sharing and drinking from the same cup. They were also passing around the same mask and breathing into it very heavy. This was all done with the attempt to actually catch COVID-19. It was their belief that a positive case would get you sent home. Yes quite a few of them came up positive, but the news article did not say if they were sent home. (I doubt it)

I mean I really don't know what to say to that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Many of the guys that know the ropes start working their medical claims during the intake process to county.During intake a nurse asks many questions and in my county gives you the TB shot.
If an inmate can get a script for sedative drugs they can then trade them for commissary or favors. I watched drug addicts give over their main meal of the day to the pill guys,and believe me you need every calorie you can get in our county jail.
The inmate will not swallow the pill at the pill window but then carry it in his mouth back to the tank,where he spits it out. Then other inmates will take that pill and eat it. Nasty !Nasty!Nasty!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelln61 View Post
Many of the guys that know the ropes start working their medical claims during the intake process to county.During intake a nurse asks many questions and in my county gives you the TB shot.
If an inmate can get a script for sedative drugs they can then trade them for commissary or favors. I watched drug addicts give over their main meal of the day to the pill guys,and believe me you need every calorie you can get in our county jail.
The inmate will not swallow the pill at the pill window but then carry it in his mouth back to the tank,where he spits it out. Then other inmates will take that pill and eat it. Nasty !Nasty!Nasty!

That's disgusting. You'd be potentially swallowing someone else's saliva god only knows what bacteria is in that.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:52 PM

That they’re all gay for the stay.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
As a CO, I 100% agree with this. Prisons and the individuals that we incarcerate are way more complicated and more than just their crime.
Thank you. Especially considering the current state of upheaval, I appreciate knowing there are COs that see them as more than their crime. I also really appreciate you and the few other COs on here that I've seen who are willing to give those of us worried about our loved ones on the inside another perspective on what things actually look like in their world.